PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sad news regarding former 'Cuse star Pearl Washington

IWB
09-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Dwayne "Pearl" Washington has a malignant brain tumor the size of a golf ball. Doctors removed majority, but could not remove all of it. If you recall, he had a brain tumor years ago but that one was benign.

Pearl Washington was a heck of a lot of fun to watch. He was an incredible PG, one of the best college PGs I have seen.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2015/08/report_on_pearl_washington_former_syracuse_basketb all_star_has_malignant_tumor.html?hootPostID=99f4d dd8c99bf4a8d0ccbcb3eea311db

Nukem2
09-01-2015, 03:55 PM
He was fun to watch. Got to see him one summer in the Boston Shootout at BU. He was a bit on the wild side on the court, but soooo talented.

mufan2003
09-01-2015, 10:18 PM
I was born in the 80's, so I did not get the pleasure to watch him play. Based on the documentary "Requiem for the Big East," Pearl Washington, Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullin were the stars who drew so many eyeballs and helped the Big East take off.

CaribouJim
09-02-2015, 10:22 AM
I was at our family cabin last week on one of the Finger Lakes near Syracuse and he was the subject of a front page article in the sports section of the Syracuse Post Standard and was highlighted on the local sports TV stations. I guess he had a brain tumor before that was benign and they were hoping for the same this time. Bummer.

Remember Al was the one who interviewed Pearl in person during half-time of a high profile college game to announce where he was going to school with SU being the winner. Very instrumental in building the Big East legacy.

mufan2003
09-03-2015, 11:31 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qqt2HEbAGO8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The "Pearl"

ValiantSailor
09-03-2015, 02:57 PM
The 3-point line certainly changed the game!

VS

The Reptile
09-05-2015, 06:22 AM
Did Pearl play in the game where we hosted $yracu$se back in the '80's - it was around 1983 during Christmas break? It's the game where they were leading up to the point where the cheerleaders did a tumbling pass during a time out and one got injured halting the game for 20 min. After that incident, it was all Warriors and we went on to win.

I have a feeling that it was this game that made Boeheim so bitter towards MU that he ripped us pretty much every time he had the chance.

CaribouJim
09-05-2015, 07:49 AM
Did Pearl play in the game where we hosted $yracu$se back in the '80's - it was around 1983 during Christmas break? It's the game where they were leading up to the point where the cheerleaders did a tumbling pass during a time out and one got injured halting the game for 20 min. After that incident, it was all Warriors and we went on to win.

I have a feeling that it was this game that made Boeheim so bitter towards MU that he ripped us pretty much every time he had the chance.

Yes, it was. I was there as well - you could hear a pin drop when the cheerleader fell and it was clear that there was a major injury.

http://www.cuse.com/documents/2011/4/11/Marquette12.17.83.pdf?id=5176

Wasn't a sell out which was surprising - capacity was 11,052 then wasn't it?

The Reptile
09-05-2015, 01:59 PM
It didn't sell out because it is was the Rick era and it was over Christmas break. IIRC, ESPN played the game but on tape delay at 2 AM.

unclejohn
09-08-2015, 07:45 PM
It didn't sell out because it is was the Rick era and it was over Christmas break. IIRC, ESPN played the game but on tape delay at 2 AM.

I am pretty sure that it was when Hank was still coaching. It was scary all right.

CaribouJim
09-09-2015, 10:29 AM
I am pretty sure that it was when Hank was still coaching. It was scary all right.

It was actually Rick's first year - not even 10 games into his career as a HC so don't think that played into the game not being a sell-out though.

Gato78
09-09-2015, 10:36 AM
I loved watching Pearl but the truth is he was Butch Lee redux and I always thought Butch was better. Pearl had a lot of hype which he deserved. Dean Meminger were better, too.

CaribouJim
09-09-2015, 11:46 AM
I loved watching Pearl but the truth is he was Butch Lee redux and I always thought Butch was better. Pearl had a lot of hype which he deserved. Dean Meminger were better, too.

He was more flashy than Butch and Dean, but there was a sloppiness to his game as well.

When it comes to Butch and Pearl, maybe JG/Red Baron/Murf/gr8one1's theory on thick legged guards not making it to the next level has some merit. Would have liked Butch's chances better though if it wasn't for his knee injury - he did have a decent rookie year - not spectacular, but solid.

Goose85
09-09-2015, 12:14 PM
Pearl Washington had the benefit of the Big East / ESPN coming together at the right time for exposure.
Had Dean The Dream come along when Pearl did his hype would have been off the charts.

Nukem2
09-09-2015, 12:21 PM
Pearl Washington had the benefit of the Big East / ESPN coming together at the right time for exposure.
Had Dean The Dream come along when Pearl did his hype would have been off the charts.
Yup, timing made a big difference.

IWB
09-09-2015, 02:39 PM
I agree that Butch and probably Meminger (don't remember much) were better, but Caribou is right, Pearl was flashy. Butch was the best in the nation, but he just played good hard basketball. Pearl put on a show and yes, that did lead to some sloppiness.