PDA

View Full Version : So What Did We Learn About Wojo?

Phantom Warrior
08-20-2015, 10:33 AM
1. It looks like he is determined to teach this team how to play man. I don't think I saw a single minute of zone.

2. It also looks like if we do play man, Wojo wants to extend the pressure on the lead guard rather than picking him up just above the arc.

3. It is obvious that he wants this team to run, not just after turnovers but also after defensive boards, which, given the skill level and mentality of the players seems more than logical.

4. He certainly did not mind picking up technical as he got one in each game. Of course, he was careful not to get a second one, so my guess is the Ts were more about working the refs and protecting his players than anything else. In other words, I think they were more of the calculated, pre-meditated type of Ts than being hot-headed or out of control.

5. He has his staff instructing individual players every opportunity they get. It was interesting watching the various assistants talk to individual players during time outs.

6. He didn't show much of the "quick-hook" mentality following player mistakes. He let them play through some of their errors.

7. He is intense during games.

8. He seems to be giving his freshmen quite a bit of freedom on offense.

9. I get the impression he really likes this team and expects them to do pretty well. My guess is he sees an invitation to the Big Dance as a reasonable, reachable goal.

10. (I ain't got no #10.)

farmerdoc
08-20-2015, 11:33 AM
1. It looks like he is determined to teach this team how to play man. I don't think I saw a single minute of zone.

2. It also looks like if we do play man, Wojo wants to extend the pressure on the lead guard rather than picking him up just above the arc.

3. It is obvious that he wants this team to run, not just after turnovers but also after defensive boards, which, given the skill level and mentality of the players seems more than logical.

4. He certainly did not mind picking up technical as he got one in each game. Of course, he was careful not to get a second one, so my guess is the Ts were more about working the refs and protecting his players than anything else. In other words, I think they were more of the calculated, pre-meditated type of Ts than being hot-headed or out of control.

5. He has his staff instructing individual players every opportunity they get. It was interesting watching the various assistants talk to individual players during time outs.

6. He didn't show much of the "quick-hook" mentality following player mistakes. He let them play through some of their errors.

9. I get the impression he really likes this team and expects them to do pretty well. My guess is he sees an invitation to the Big Dance as a reasonable, reachable goal.

Great list. Wouldn't argue any of your points, as they seem to be spot on.

#10 made me laugh out loud, and 2 nurses looked into my office to see if I was OK!

farmerdoc
08-20-2015, 11:34 AM

Great list. Wouldn't argue any of your points, as they seem to be spot on.

#10 made me laugh out loud, and 2 nurses looked into my office to see if I was OK!

By the way, for someone who helps kids prepare for college, that grammar was just as funny!

Phantom Warrior
08-20-2015, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I does the bestest I can.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
08-20-2015, 11:54 AM
Great list, Phantom. I had a few thoughts before I clicked in here, but you covered them.

The Reptile
08-20-2015, 01:20 PM

I got 10. 10. He knows how to build a team.

BLT
08-20-2015, 10:37 PM
Hot head and offensive coach.

MinnesotaJeb
08-21-2015, 06:04 AM
I especially like #9. I see us winning 20-21 games regular season this year.

IrwinFletcher
08-21-2015, 11:39 AM
I was a weeeeee bit concerned that Wojo picked up 2 T's on a 4 game, European Friendly trip. Dude needs to settle down a bit.

Nukem2
08-21-2015, 12:11 PM
I was a weeeeee bit concerned that Wojo picked up 2 T's on a 4 game, European Friendly trip. Dude needs to settle down a bit.Nah, he was just trying to get the refs to stop the rough stuff to protect his players. MU guys were being unnecessarily banged around.

MUfan12
08-21-2015, 01:03 PM
On the technicals... I suspect that it was Wojo driving a point home to his team about maintaining their level of intensity, regardless of the opponent.

Halo
08-21-2015, 02:23 PM
Nah, he was just trying to get the refs to stop the rough stuff to protect his players. MU guys were being unnecessarily banged around.

This. Coaches get pissed off in blowout games when the refs get lazy and stop calling things to get the game over with. Someone can get hurt then.

Phantom Warrior
08-21-2015, 02:31 PM
Actually, I am pretty certain he got four Ts, one each game.

79warrior
08-21-2015, 06:41 PM

i learned Wojo and his staff know how to find talented young players. Very impressive

IrwinFletcher
08-22-2015, 10:09 AM
This. Coaches get pissed off in blowout games when the refs get lazy and stop calling things to get the game over with. Someone can get hurt then.

Not all T's were at the end of the game when things started to get out of hand.

If Wojo does it on purpose to get his guys fired up, you can't do it every game. You have to pick your spots. Same goes for working the refs.

2, 3 or 4 T's in 4 exhibition games is a bit alarming. At least to me.

Nukem2
08-23-2015, 11:04 AM
Not all T's were at the end of the game when things started to get out of hand.

If Wojo does it on purpose to get his guys fired up, you can't do it every game. You have to pick your spots. Same goes for working the refs.

2, 3 or 4 T's in 4 exhibition games is a bit alarming. At least to me.I think it was the second game (?) when Henry got knocked down twice in the first half and Wojo got a T. That was very obvious.