PDA

View Full Version : What features should the new arena have?

Goose85
07-16-2015, 12:36 PM
The new arena in Milwaukee is getting much closer to a reality, and the excitement will soon turn to what will this state of the art facility have, if anything, to make it unique?

We know it will have more lower bowl seats.
We know it will be built for basketball only.

Here is a question to those that have been to, or seen other venues, or those that just have ideas.

What amenity or different features do you like in other venues that you would like to see inside the arena in Milwaukee (like Friday's at Miller Park, etc)?

Nukem2
07-16-2015, 12:56 PM
More legroom.

TedBaxter
07-16-2015, 01:25 PM
No access for the lower bowl people to an area under the bowl where you can see them leaving early and coming in late at halftime.:)

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
07-16-2015, 01:27 PM
Retail & Restaurants: I'm sure this is a given, but a club shop, and perhaps one with an extension of the Marquette Spirit Shop, should be available year-round, and the same goes for maybe a restaurant or two and bars. Similar to how Miller Park has the Brewers Club Store and TGI Friday's, though I'd like more options. I do like the bar/restaurant in Miller Park where you can go sit down, eat, and watch the game as well. Nice touch.
West Side Parking: Also probably a given, but any dedicated parking facilities should be located west of the new arena, near the on ramps for I-43 to facilitate quick entry and exit from the arena while also preventing some of the clogging that happens downtown currently after games.
Wi-Fi: I'm sure this would be a big cost, but in the modern age, not much is more infuriating in the BC than not being able to access Twitter or the Internet to keep up with game news. Why was there a stoppage in play, what was said by the player that resulted in a Technical, there should be enough internet connectivity that fans can keep updated online during the game.
Event Apps: Going with the Wi-Fi, I'd like to see apps dedicated to enhancing the fan experience at games.
Face the action: Currently there are quite a few seats in the BC that leave you facing well off-center. I'd like to see the new arena designed so no matter where you are sitting, the seats are comfortably aimed at roughly the center of the action.
Kids distractions: I'm not a dad, so I can't say what would be the best things to have, but maybe basketball shooting games, meet and greets with Bango, stuff like that. I have friends that say they can bring their kid to Miller Park and only watch 2-3 innings and spend the rest of the time enjoying the things they have for kids. Seems like a good idea for a family friendly environment.
Order From Your Seat: Another App idea, allow fans to order concessions from their seat then pick them up. This should require fans to pay online so people don't just order crap and not collect it.
Definitive Milwaukee Theme: I'm not even sure what I mean by this, but it should evoke Milwaukee. Whether it's having an in-stadium brewery, having the city skyline prominently displayed somewhere, or having busts of the Fonz, Laverne & Shirley, or sports icons like Yount, Moncrief, and McGuire. However they do it, you should know from being inside the arena that you are in Milwaukee.
8+ Sided Scoreboard: I don't just want state of the art, I want a scoreboard that is clearly visible from any angle.
A few ideas for starters...

MayorBeluga
07-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Two statues: Gail Pudvan and Al McGuire getting flipped off by the Hughes father.

mufansince72
07-16-2015, 02:19 PM
Open concourse type areas with standing room and tables where you can see the action from a table or bar stool.
Maybe even general admission areas such as this where you don't have a seat, but are in the arena. Kind of like what they have done at the Dallas Football Stadium.

07-16-2015, 02:31 PM
Maybe even general admission areas such as this where you don't have a seat, but are in the arena. Kind of like what they have done at the Dallas Football Stadium.

I really like this idea, especially for an arena that is only expected to seat 17,000. Will allow for the opportunity to draw a few thousand more to games.

Gato78
07-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Two statues: Gail Pudvan and Al McGuire getting flipped off by the Hughes father.

This concept is excellent, however, would Caribou ever cease his paralyzed gaze upon the Pudvan statue? Might be a little embarrassing for everyone else.

Cooby Snacks
07-16-2015, 03:04 PM
No tunnels directly behind the baskets!

Maybe a little hall of fame/history exhibit for the Bucks and MU.

Seating that hugs and faces the court as opposed to the BC setup.

More lower deck than upper deck seating.

Tiered seating that allows people in the 2nd and 3rd levels to be more on top of the floor rather than pushed back a few hundred feet.

Most importantly, a lower roof that keeps the place LOUD.

Cooby Snacks
07-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Also, I believe Populous is signed on to do the project. Check out their work at www.populous.com/projects/type/basketball

Hopefully it's more like the Yum Center and Amway Center and less like the Sprint Center.

MUBasketball
07-16-2015, 03:36 PM
Also, I believe Populous is signed on to do the project. Check out their work at www.populous.com/projects/type/basketball

Hopefully it's more like the Yum Center and Amway Center and less like the Sprint Center.

For those who haven't been, look at pictures of the KFC Yum Center. Build a duplicate here, that place is awesome!

Goose85
07-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Open concourse type areas with standing room and tables where you can see the action from a table or bar stool.

I like the idea of an open area.
You could take it a step further and turn a cheap seat area (upper deck corner) into more of a bar spot where anyone, including general admission can go.

Do they have areas like this where the Bulls play?

Gato78
07-16-2015, 04:01 PM
I have been to the Yum! and I honestly think we can do better.

MUfan12
07-16-2015, 04:26 PM
I have been to the Yum! and I honestly think we can do better.

Of the seating layouts pictured, I like that one the best.

Haven't been there, so I can't speak to the sightlines or amenities.

Goose85
07-17-2015, 08:22 AM
I have a lot of faith that these new owners will do it right. I think that is why they have been pushing for a $500 mil facility, and when the going looked to be getting rough didn't back down to a lesser version. I just hope there is something unique in the stadium that makes it a little different.

MayorBeluga
07-17-2015, 08:31 AM

Populous (http://populous.com/news/2015/07/08/club-announcement/) is also designing the new Tottenham Hotspur stadium (http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/new-scheme/stadium/) in north London. They are designing it to have a second, retractable field that will be used solely for 2 NFL games annually (http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/new-scheme/stadium/#welcoming-the-nfl). Yeah, these guys seem to know what they're doing in stadium design. #COYS

IWB
07-17-2015, 09:16 AM
Goo mentioned a bar in the cheap seats. Cincinnati has that. It has tables that face the court, can't remember if they were windows or open air, but it was a nice set up. When it comes to the Yum Center, very nice but agree, there can always be improvements. One thing I would like to see in Louisville is the "10th Street Live" or whatever it is. There is a bar area that has the street permanently blocked off with an awning/roof over it where there is live music every weekend. That would be great right next to the stadium.

TrevorCandelino
07-17-2015, 09:31 AM
The old MECCA floor somewhere in the concourse.

MUBasketball
07-17-2015, 09:40 AM
One thing I would like to see in Louisville is the "10th Street Live" or whatever it is. There is a bar area that has the street permanently blocked off with an awning/roof over it where there is live music every weekend. That would be great right next to the stadium.

Great memories of stumbling through that street during the tournament a few years ago!

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
07-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Great memories of stumbling through that street during the tournament a few years ago!

I was there too, that was fantastic... That said, I too hope the new arena has some uniqueness to it, you don't want cookie cutter, you want something that looks cool and draws people to check it out.

Gato78
07-17-2015, 11:25 AM
I was in Louisville a last year for a deposition. Stayed near the Yum!. Even more development in the area since the NCAA games there. The Louisville Cardinals stadium is at the other end of the same street as the Yum! and forms the other end of downtown, which I think bodes well for their overall plan. The bar area referred to above is pretty cool. The canopy is plexiglass, or something similar, and it seems similar to the bar area proposed for outside our new arena.

AlexJesswein
07-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Populous (http://populous.com/news/2015/07/08/club-announcement/) is also designing the new Tottenham Hotspur stadium (http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/new-scheme/stadium/) in north London. They are designing it to have a second, retractable field that will be used solely for 2 NFL games annually (http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/new-scheme/stadium/#welcoming-the-nfl). Yeah, these guys seem to know what they're doing in stadium design. #COYS

will still be a piece of sh*t

Markedman
07-17-2015, 11:32 AM
What seating capacity is needed to still host NCAA games?

MayorBeluga
07-17-2015, 12:06 PM
will still be a piece of sh*t

Typical hipster, poser, metro-sexual Gooner fan. But I repeat myself.

warriorfan4life
07-17-2015, 07:10 PM
Typical hipster, poser, metro-sexual Gooner fan. But I repeat myself.

The blue side of Manchester waves down to both of you from the top of the table.

07-17-2015, 09:20 PM
The blue side of Manchester waves down to both of you from the top of the table.

Pfft. You may be Blue but you're not Royal! 'Mon the Reading!

MayorBeluga
07-17-2015, 09:39 PM
Pfft. You may be Blue but you're not Royal! 'Mon the Reading!

Reading? Seriously? Good friends of my in laws not only live there but have tickets. They gave Mrs. Mayor and Hizzoner Reading jerseys fr our wedding. Now if they could only get promoted from the Championship.

07-18-2015, 10:41 AM
Reading? Seriously? Good friends of my in laws not only live there but have tickets. They gave Mrs. Mayor and Hizzoner Reading jerseys fr our wedding. Now if they could only get promoted from the Championship.

Yeah, I've supported Reading since they were promoted with Marcus Hahnemann & Bobby Convey starting. Stick with them through relegation, promotion, and relegation again. Hopefully they can keep their excellent youth players together and become a mainstay in the Prem like Stoke or Swansea.

Cooby Snacks
07-18-2015, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I've supported Reading since they were promoted with Marcus Hahnemann & Bobby Convey starting. Stick with them through relegation, promotion, and relegation again. Hopefully they can keep their excellent youth players together and become a mainstay in the Prem like Stoke or Swansea.

Of note to people on this board, one of those young players is one-time MU commit Andrija Novakovich. Still only 18 years old.

07-19-2015, 05:18 AM
Yup, and already made two senior team appearances for the club. American Danny Williams is also a regular in the starting line-up. Though Aleks Gogic, a young American keeper, was released this offseason.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
07-19-2015, 08:45 AM
So back to the original topic, I really like the idea of a bar/restaurant located somewhere in the arena where it's Open aired and over looks the floor. Something like TGI Fridays at Miller Park. Another aspect is that the Bradley center floor and walls are very bland, just cement and brick, I'd like to see more glass and color in the halls of the new arena, make it vibrant and more open in the cooridoors so it doesn't feel like a cement prison.

TedBaxter
07-19-2015, 08:59 AM
http://populous.com/project/amway-center/ for the corridors/public/seating options?

http://populous.com/project/kfc-yum-center/ for the seating layout (basketball focus)?

IWB
07-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Those are pretty cool links Ted. Now I'm sure Milwaukee won't get the Woodford Reserve, Evan Williams and Burnett's to sponsor our bars, I am sure Miller and now Pabst might have some interest.

I also like how they have so many components that focus on movement and also promote the areas around the stadiums.

mufansince72
07-19-2015, 10:06 PM
Here is a question I have been wondering about. With the prices of NBA franchises at an all time high. The rumors of the NBA buying back the Bucks and selling them to the highest bidder for prices over a billion dollars to markets like Vegas and Seattle. Why doesn't the NBA just expand? Say two new expansion franchises for 1.5 billion each. Vegas and Seattle. Wouldn't that give each current owner about 100 million in cash? That has to be on the horizon with these new arenas going up. You could put them both in the West and move Minnesota and OKC to the East. Thoughts?

Markedman
07-19-2015, 10:19 PM
I think it serves the league's interest to have 1 or 2 markets waiting in the wings so cities like Milwaukee build an Arena when the league wants them too.

Talent dilution is also a concern.....http://www.ibtimes.com/could-nba-finally-return-seattle-adam-silver-answers-franchise-question-1818052

mufansince72
07-20-2015, 12:13 AM
I think it serves the league's interest to have 1 or 2 markets waiting in the wings so cities like Milwaukee build an Arena when the league wants them too.

Talent dilution is also a concern.....http://www.ibtimes.com/could-nba-finally-return-seattle-adam-silver-answers-franchise-question-1818052

Just seems logical with the growth internationally. I don't think two more teams to bring them up to 32 would significantly diminish talent. You have to think if someone is willing to pay 1.5 billion or so for a team that the owners will eventually want that cash. Here is an idea. Expand by two teams. The owners get a shitload of money, and cut the regular season back to 72 games instead of 82. That would eliminate some of the back to back games which are killers. The expansion fees could make up for some of the lost revenue. You could probably also add a mini playoff round with a couple of wild cards.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
07-20-2015, 06:44 AM

Right now Louisville and Kansas City are also trying to get teams, St. Louis has also been mentioned in the past. There is plenty of cities that would still want a team... Now talent becoming diluted would still be a concern.

ValiantSailor
07-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Right now Louisville and Kansas City are also trying to get teams, St. Louis has also been mentioned in the past. There is plenty of cities that would still want a team... Now talent becoming diluted would still be a concern.

That issue has always been voiced whenever expansion is considered. Won't be an issue, IMO. Look at how many very good players miss the cut today...or ride the bench because the guy in front of him is a superstar.

VS

07-20-2015, 06:07 PM
Talent dilution would probably help Marquette, with Jerel, Dwight, and Van all on the fringe of being in the league.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
07-20-2015, 06:56 PM
That issue has always been voiced whenever expansion is considered. Won't be an issue, IMO. Look at how many very good players miss the cut today...or ride the bench because the guy in front of him is a superstar.

VS

I whole heartedly disagree, there is already a lack of talent in the NBA, there is a big drop off between the have and have nots in this league. Look at the NBA draft for example, if you don't have a top 5 pick the odds of you getting a difference maker are slim, yes there are still diamonds in the rough, but it's not like there are a lot of guys out there. Now I don't think adding two more teams would tilt the scales dramatically, but why add more teams when you already have teams that aren't relevant because they can't attract stars. Sure guys like DJO, Vander, and Jerel might get more looks for end of bench spots, but let's be honest, who outside of Marquette fans really cares about that? They certainly won't sell tickets.

MUFLA
07-21-2015, 06:08 PM
Those are pretty cool links Ted. Now I'm sure Milwaukee won't get the Woodford Reserve, Evan Williams and Burnett's to sponsor our bars, I am sure Miller and now Pabst might have some interest.

Miami Arena somehow has a Dewars club -- very cool location to be at half time if you were a single man. Panthers arena has a Stoli club. There should be many sponsor opportunities for you guys. Enjoy

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
07-21-2015, 06:33 PM
Didn't the Bradley center have a Bacardi Lounge at one point?

Markedman
08-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Here is a question I have been wondering about. With the prices of NBA franchises at an all time high. The rumors of the NBA buying back the Bucks and selling them to the highest bidder for prices over a billion dollars to markets like Vegas and Seattle. Why doesn't the NBA just expand? Say two new expansion franchises for 1.5 billion each. Vegas and Seattle. Wouldn't that give each current owner about 100 million in cash? That has to be on the horizon with these new arenas going up. You could put them both in the West and move Minnesota and OKC to the East. Thoughts?

@stevekylerNBA: The problem with expansion is its a one time cash infusion for the right to eat from revenue pie forever. https://t.co/gkT64zPcV5

TheSultan
08-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Plus you always want to have a couple markets that you can use to blackmail other cities for new arenas. Look what happened in Minnesota, and is happening in St. Louis and San Diego with regards to LA and the NFL.