PDA

View Full Version : O.t. Wwc

Phantom Warrior
07-05-2015, 11:23 PM
I thought Fox's coverage of the Women's World Cup was excellent.

I remember the days not all that long ago when critics of soccer in general said that Americans would never watch soccer on t.v. - that the game did not lend itself to television.

They also said that lack of scoring would prevent the game from becoming popular in the U.S.

I found the games truly enjoyable and exciting whether the score ended up 1-0, 3-1, or 5-2. I love the fact that you can watch 45 minutes of play without commercials. Just continuous play.

The NBA playoffs drove me crazy with all the commercials - sometimes four or five minutes of play, then five or six minutes of commercials. Wish college basketball would do the same as soccer - 20 minutes of play per half with each coach getting two time outs per half but no break-to-commercials. Have a 20-minute half time and run all the commercials during the half time break.

But back to soccer. The women are amazing - terrific athletes, awesome skills, great teamwork.

Anyway, congrats to the US Women's Team on a superb tournament.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
07-06-2015, 06:56 AM
Agreed, though I may be biased as soccer and CBB are my two main sports. The presentation was excellent by Fox and there's a lot to like about the women's game. Far less diving, for one. I love 45 minutes without interruption. You'll never see that with traditional American sports, but I feel hockey does it better, with fewer breaks and longer intermissions.

The women were fantastic, and this was truly a case of watching a team get better throughout the competition. Whereas they were somewhat timid and less organized in the group stage, the team really came together in the elimination games. Colombia tested them and I felt by the China game they really started to play well and create chances. Obviously some dubious reffing decisions in the Germany game, but you play the hand you are dealt and Germany botched their chance while we made the most of ours.

Yesterday was amazing. The first 16 minutes I was in shock. Clearly they found the finishing touch. Japan tried to make it interesting, but down 4-0 that fast, against that defense and keeper, what can you do? They mentioned that the USA scored more on Japan than the Japanese had conceded the entire tournament. Well, Japan did the same to the USA, who had only conceded 1 to Australia before Japan put 2 past Solo.

Great performance, great win. Looking forward to the men playing in the Gold Cup (kicks off v Honduras tomorrow) and the Olympics next year.

MU/Panther
07-06-2015, 08:43 AM
It was a huge month for FS1 with the Women's World Cup, Nascar, Golf and the normal UFC & MLB.

I loved the studio set-up in Vancouver for the WWC.

TheSultan
07-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Tells you that live programming is really the only thing that is going to bring eyeballs to the network. The other stuff is all fluff.

07-06-2015, 08:55 AM
This is why while the Big Ten is huge, the upcoming contract for the Premier League is massive as well. The sport is drawing a lot more eyes than it used to. I know for decades the cliche was that soccer would never make it in the States, but the reality is it's starting to make it. People are watching international competitions in record numbers and paying attention to leagues both foreign and domestic in ways we never saw back in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s.

Nukem2
07-06-2015, 09:00 AM
This is why while the Big Ten is huge, the upcoming contract for the Premier League is massive as well. The sport is drawing a lot more eyes than it used to. I know for decades the cliche was that soccer would never make it in the States, but the reality is it's starting to make it. People are watching international competitions in record numbers and paying attention to leagues both foreign and domestic in ways we never saw back in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s.
The demographics of the USA are changing as well, so the trend will continue to favor soccer on the rise.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
07-06-2015, 09:17 AM
As someone who never watched soccer I have to admit that the world cups (both Men & Women) have been very exciting, I don't get too much into MLS or EPL because I don't really have a home town team, although now that I moved to Houston maybe I could follow the Dynamo. With that said I now have at least a very small interest in soccer whereas in the past I had 0.

07-06-2015, 10:10 AM
As someone who never watched soccer I have to admit that the world cups (both Men & Women) have been very exciting, I don't get too much into MLS or EPL because I don't really have a home town team, although now that I moved to Houston maybe I could follow the Dynamo. With that said I now have at least a very small interest in soccer whereas in the past I had 0.

For the sport, that's a huge win. For so long, it was almost like not watching the sport was a bigger badge of honor than watching it. People made a huge deal of how they had no interest. Now the sport has become mainstream enough that those viewers that never would have watched previously will at least tune in when they have an interest.

Off the topic of viewership, I just want to take a second to praise Carli Lloyd's third goal. That midfield strike was an absolute stunner. Every aspect of it was just flawless. The first touch to make the turn, skipping past her defender, then shedding the defender and at the same time having the vision to look up the pitch and catch the keeper off her line, and finally having the composure to launch an inch perfect strike from 50 yards away while at full gallop. Just world class stuff.

Seriously, if Messi, Ronaldo, or any of the male superstars had executed a goal of that pure class on that stage, it would go down as one of the best goals in the history of the sport. Mark that one down, because it's the type of goal that deserves to be replayed again and again for generations.

Markedman
07-06-2015, 10:14 AM
I watched and throughly enjoyed the World Cup but I imagine I fall into the category of many viewers who mostly watched because it was team USA and not because they love soccer.

It is very similar to the Olympics for me where I will watch many sports that I don't really care about.

Great event and very exciting with all the scoring. Lloyd was unbelievable.

CaribouJim
07-06-2015, 11:27 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed it as well - they scored those first 3 goals while I was washing the dishes. The crowd looked bigger than 53,000, but less than the Grateful Dead concert which looked like a few million.

In any event, I was hoping for more face time...I mean playing time for Christen Press, but purely for non-soccer related reasons.

CaribouJim
07-06-2015, 11:45 AM
I thought Fox's coverage of the Women's World Cup was excellent.

Richard Deitsch from SI gave Fox a pretty favorable review as well.

However, take a look his Noise Report after his Fox review - touches on the widening gap between ESPN and Fox with the help of Bob Ley and Outside the Lines. OTL is a very valuable property that gives ESPN some deserved sports journalism props along with their 30 for 30 stuff. To a lesser extent and not so journalisticly based, PTI as well IMO.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/07/05/media-circus-fox-womens-world-cup-uswnt-broadcast-espn-outside-lines

Markedman
07-06-2015, 12:00 PM
User Actions
Follow

John Ourand
‏@Ourand_SBJ
Unbelievable: Fox averaged 25.4 million viewers for last night's WWC US-Japan game. Official announcement coming on FS1 at 1pm.

MUwarrior1090
07-06-2015, 12:12 PM
I only watched a few games, but my thoughts on the coverage are mixed. The overall coverage, pregame, postgame, etc was very good. The production was great.

That said, I think the actual in game commentary needs to take a big step up before WC 2018. The color commentators provided nothing, and often would start a thought and then just trail off before giving any real analysis. The play by play guy was fine, nothing special, but adequate.

MUAlphaBangura
07-06-2015, 12:32 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed it as well - they scored those first 3 goals while I was washing the dishes. The crowd looked bigger than 53,000, but less than the Grateful Dead concert which looked like a few million.

In any event, I was hoping for more face time...I mean playing time for Christen Press, but purely for non-soccer related reasons.

Easy Grandpa! Even 39 year old Christie Rampone is too young for your old bones(notice the pleural there!).

CaribouJim
07-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Easy Grandpa! Even 39 year old Christie Rampone is too young for your old bones(notice the pleural there!).

Isn't she 40 or is it one of the Japanese women that is 40? The one who has played in 6 World Cups or something like that?

MUAlphaBangura
07-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Isn't she 40 or is it one of the Japanese women that is 40? The one who has played in 6 World Cups or something like that?

Actually, you are right. She just turned 40 while the World Cup was going on(June 24th). All I know is that you've got socks older than Christen Press!! :cool:

Phantom Warrior
07-06-2015, 03:18 PM
As a good friend of mine (an avid MU fan in his early 70s) said to me fairly recently, "You're never too old to look."

unclejohn
07-06-2015, 06:36 PM
For the sport, that's a huge win. For so long, it was almost like not watching the sport was a bigger badge of honor than watching it. People made a huge deal of how they had no interest. Now the sport has become mainstream enough that those viewers that never would have watched previously will at least tune in when they have an interest.

Off the topic of viewership, I just want to take a second to praise Carli Lloyd's third goal. That midfield strike was an absolute stunner. Every aspect of it was just flawless. The first touch to make the turn, skipping past her defender, then shedding the defender and at the same time having the vision to look up the pitch and catch the keeper off her line, and finally having the composure to launch an inch perfect strike from 50 yards away while at full gallop. Just world class stuff.

Seriously, if Messi, Ronaldo, or any of the male superstars had executed a goal of that pure class on that stage, it would go down as one of the best goals in the history of the sport. Mark that one down, because it's the type of goal that deserves to be replayed again and again for generations.

Agreed. Personally, while it may come as a shock to some of you Packer fans, I am a fair-weather Bears fan. When the Bears are good, I follow them. When they are not, I remember that I think football is a stupid game. But I will watch the playoffs and of course the Super Bowl, which is an unofficial secular holiday. There is no way I would ever pay enough attention to run a fantasy team. But I will pay enough attention to add to the crowd and allow the NFL make money. So it is with the real football. The World Cup games are always going to be interesting. All the games are crucial. And if you spend any time at all, you can figure out the basics of what is going on and follow the game. The men's World Cup was loads of fun. Local bars were full of people all decked out in red, white and blue. That is enough to make it fun. And I have watched enough to get an idea of strategy and the like. Not as much as a real fan, but enough. I am not going to follow the EPL or any other league, but I will watch from time to time. That is enough to build a base on. I think that the sport really is taking off in this country.

BLT
07-06-2015, 08:26 PM
Actually, you are right. She just turned 40 while the World Cup was going on(June 24th). All I know is that you've got socks older than Christen Press!! :cool:

Line of the year!

CaribouJim
07-06-2015, 09:05 PM

Sweat socks for sure - not my dress socks though - have to maintain my swag.

As far as the age differential, isn't the universally accepted formula half your age + 7? In my case, that would mean anything around 35 or 36 and older is up for grabs.

MUWhistler
07-08-2015, 11:21 AM

I was talking with someone in the office yesterday, and I actually said that the third goal was the biggest goal of the game. When Japan scored their two goals, they would have been down only 3-2, which would have given the game a much different feel than being down 4-2. Still being down by 2 goals forced them to still play very open and aggressive, which helped the US in their counter-attacks. That 4th goal was huge in the outcome of the game.

Overall, just a brilliant game and fun to watch as they played their two best games of the tournament at the end.