PDA

View Full Version : Who would you take if you were Bucks GM?

Goose85
06-22-2015, 09:31 AM
Draft is this Thursday, only a few more days to ponder a selection.
No surprise that the mock drafts are all over the board when it comes to the Bucks picking at 17, so much can happen in the first 16 picks.

Many seem to think now that Ilysova has been traded, the Bucks go for a power forward.

Here are some of the players that I've seen listed as the Bucks taking, as well as some players normally listed near that spot.
If you are the Bucks GM, who do you take if all of the players listed below are there at 17?

Bobby Portis
Kevon Looney
Trey Lyles
R.J. Hunter
Rondae Hollis Jefferson
Jerian Grant
Justin Anderson
Montrezl Hazell

MUfan12
06-22-2015, 09:45 AM
If they like Inglis as much as I've heard, I don't think they go after a 4. If they do, Portis is intriguing.

They really need a shooter. I've liked Hunter for awhile, and Anderson could end up being a really good pro. Grant also could be a nice piece to back up the 1 and 2 spots.

MUAlphaBangura
06-22-2015, 10:25 AM
I like Anderson. By all accounts he is a very hard working, self-motivated kid with good defensive fundamentals. Apparently is working on his shot and it is improving. Actually reminds me a little of a young Wesley Matthews.

MUfan12
06-22-2015, 10:39 AM
I like Anderson. By all accounts he is a very hard working, self-motivated kid with good defensive fundamentals. Apparently is working on his shot and it is improving. Actually reminds me a little of a young Wesley Matthews.

Not a bad comparison. Both had NBA ready bodies, though Anderson is more explosive. Shot the three at a 45% clip last season at Virginia.

AbovetheRim
06-22-2015, 10:41 AM
Teams are going to look at Golden State and work that roster type into their philosophies. You need bigs that can guard the perimeter, run the floor and shoot 3's.

Goose85
06-22-2015, 11:36 AM
While it may be hard to pass on guys like Portis, Lyles and Looney, but as MUfan12 points out, they seem to like Inglis.
I think the Bucks need shooting so I will join the draft Anderson selection with MUAlphaBangura.

Not an easy decision for the GM.

mufan2003
06-22-2015, 02:10 PM
Bucks seem to have plenty of guys right now that can play the 3 and 4:

4 - Henson, Parker, Giannis, Inglis
3 - Parker, Giannis, Inglis, Middleton

SI's draft has Cauley-Stein slipping into the teens....would the Bucks try to trade up and get him if he falls that far? Or to trade up and get Booker, who is the youngest player in the draft (18) and arguably the best shooter along with RJ Hunter.

I will say the Bucks sit at #17 and grab Hunter. Jerian Grant would seem to fit a need as well assuming the Bucks think he is talented enough. Grant could play the 1 or 2, can shoot and defend at 6'5". (Knowing the kind of player Kidd likes, I bet he really likes Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. If Hollis-Jefferson just had a decent shot, he would be a lottery pick. He has everything else.....6'7", length, athleticism, quickness and already is a great defender. But I think the Bucks need is greatest at C and the guard positions.)

Goose85
06-22-2015, 02:41 PM
Bucks seem to have plenty of guys right now that can play the 3 and 4:

4 - Henson, Parker, Giannis, Inglis
3 - Parker, Giannis, Inglis, Middleton

SI's draft has Cauley-Stein slipping into the teens....would the Bucks try to trade up and get him if he falls that far? Or to trade up and get Booker, who is the youngest player in the draft (18) and arguably the best shooter along with RJ Hunter.

I will say the Bucks sit at #17 and grab Hunter. Jerian Grant would seem to fit a need as well assuming the Bucks think he is talented enough. Grant could play the 1 or 2, can shoot and defend at 6'5". (Knowing the kind of player Kidd likes, I bet he really likes Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. If Hollis-Jefferson just had a decent shot, he would be a lottery pick. He has everything else.....6'7", length, athleticism, quickness and already is a great defender. But I think the Bucks need is greatest at C and the guard positions.)

I think with MCW and Giannis at what would be considered the point and small forward slots, we would need a two guard that can shoot, like you said with your prediction of Hunter.

If we still had Knight at the point, them Hollis-Jefferson might be a better fit for the team than he would be now. Hollis-Jefferson could be a steal if he develops a shot, but I think the Bucks are looking to make a move in the East this year, so I think a shooter would be top choice.

Not sure they want to part with the pieces they have to move up for Cauley-Stein or Booker.

AbovetheRim
06-22-2015, 04:46 PM
The Bucks need any and every shooter they can get their hands on. They need to space the floor better for their rim attackers.

Goose85
06-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Here are the projections from various mock drafts.

yahoo: R.J. Hunter
Draft Express: R.J. Hunter
CBS Sports (3 NBA draft experts): Lyles - Portis - Looney
NBA.com: Hollis-Jefferson
nbadraft.net: Kaminsky
ESPN Chad Ford: Lyles
SB Nation: Looney
SI: R.J. Hunter
Walterfootball: Portis
mynbadraft: Looney
Basketballinsiders (4 experts): Martin - Looney - Portis - Lyles
Draftsite.com: Dekker

There are others, but according to these sites here is the breakdown
4 - Looney
3 - Lyles
3 - Hunter
3 - Portis
1 - Hollis-Jefferson, Kaminsky, Dekker, Martin
0 - Anderson (my projection).

MUAlphaBangura
06-22-2015, 05:18 PM
Here are the projections from various mock drafts.

yahoo: R.J. Hunter
Draft Express: R.J. Hunter
CBS Sports (3 NBA draft experts): Lyles - Portis - Looney
NBA.com: Hollis-Jefferson
nbadraft.net: Kaminsky
ESPN Chad Ford: Lyles
SB Nation: Looney
SI: R.J. Hunter
Walterfootball: Portis
mynbadraft: Looney
Basketballinsiders (4 experts): Martin - Looney - Portis - Lyles
Draftsite.com: Dekker

There are others, but according to these sites here is the breakdown
4 - Looney
3 - Lyles
3 - Hunter
3 - Portis
1 - Hollis-Jefferson, Kaminsky, Dekker, Martin
0 - Anderson (my projection).

I am now feeling better about my Anderson pick! :cool:

Goose85
06-23-2015, 09:14 AM
NBAdraft.net now has the Bucks taking Vaughan, so no more Kaminsky, and 1 for Vaughan. Still not seeing Anderson, so he must be the choice.

Goose85
06-23-2015, 03:31 PM
SI's new mock draft has Hunter going before the Bucks pick, and now have the Bucks taking Portis.

Interesting that most mock drafts out there see the Bucks going for a PF (Looney / Portis / Lyles).
I guess I'd be happy with any of those options.

4 - Looney
4 - Portis
3 - Lyles
2 - Hunter
1 - Hollis-Jefferson, Dekker, Martin, Vaughan

Goose85
06-25-2015, 12:28 PM
As we get closer to the draft, assuming the Bucks don't move from #17, the more I think Portis will be the Bucks pick. We need more outside shooting, but I think at that spot Portis might be a pretty good fit for the Bucks.

MUfan12
06-25-2015, 12:36 PM
Hearing Portis and Vaughn are the two most likely.

mufan2003
06-25-2015, 01:45 PM
Hearing Portis and Vaughn are the two most likely.

Vaughn is very intriguing, he is not well known playing out West at UNLV, on a team that was not very good. Youngest player in the draft at 18, which likely has NBA personnel beaming at his room for growth. He already can really shoot it and has very good size at 6'6". The Bucks should be able to get a good player at #17.

Latest on Willey Cauley-Stein....Chad Ford says his range is 6 to 21! Concerns over the ankle fracture that occurred 2 years ago in the NCAA tournament. He missed the Final 4 game against Wisconsin. WCS says his play last season speaks for itself, that there is no issue with his ankle. A lock to be a Top 10 pick could drop into the teens.