PDA

View Full Version : Trivia Question #3

Phantom Warrior
06-17-2015, 07:25 PM
I apologize in advance to the younger posters on this site as the first few questions have involved knowledge of MU hoops going back 40+ years. This one goes back even further.

Over the past 50+ years, MU has had a number of starters whose home town was in the state of Pennsylvania. I can think of at least seven former MU players who played high school ball in PA, including three who were starters on the same team.

Who are the seven former MU players from PA, and which three played together. I am sure some of the other old-timers will have little difficulty with these two questions.

milkbone
06-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Marotta and Payne are two I think.

Gato78
06-17-2015, 07:47 PM
Maurice Lucas.

Markedman
06-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Joe Nethen and Lloyd Moore

Phantom Warrior
06-17-2015, 08:53 PM
Actually, I forgot about Nethen. I guess he was a starter, but I'm not positive. I think he and Leurck split time at the 4. Anyway, if he was a regular starter, that would make it eight from PA. Three to go - the three teammates.

From what I just read, apparently Nethen won the MU "super-sub" award his sophomore year, and then he transferred at the end of first semester his junior year. So I guess he was never really a regular starter, but so what? Another guy from PA.

Nukem2
06-17-2015, 09:07 PM
Actually, I forgot about Nethen. I guess he was a starter, but I'm not positive. I think he and Leurck split time at the 4. Anyway, if he was a regular starter, that would make it eight from PA. Three to go - the three teammates.

From what I just read, apparently Nethen won the MU "super-sub" award his sophomore year, and then he transferred at the end of first semester his junior year. So I guess he was never really a regular starter, but so what? Another guy from PA.
Nethen did start for a while. Always remember his big game against Xavier (Tyrone Hill?). Academics and injury did him in.

Phantom Warrior
06-17-2015, 11:14 PM
By the way, two of the three players from PA who played together at MU were also high school teammates.

That may be the only time in MU modern hoops history that two high school teammates not only played together at MU but started together. (Jerel and Mo were high school teammates and MU teammates, but I don't think they started together except when D.J. was injured at the end of his senior season.)

DCwarrior
06-18-2015, 08:09 AM
DJ Newbill? Oops...sorry.

Nukem2
06-18-2015, 09:39 AM
Tyrone Baldwin played with Joe Nethen

Phantom Warrior
06-18-2015, 09:57 AM
Wow, Nukem2, good call. You're right on.

I had also forgotten about Baldwin being from Pittsburg. That is nine players from PA over the years. And Nethen and Baldwin did play together, though again, Nethen won the super-sub award his sophomore year, and I know he didn't start his frosh season.

Bottom line, even more guys from PA than I had thought.

Phantom Warrior
06-18-2015, 10:04 AM
I am still kind of surprised that no one has remembered one of the three remaining as he was one of MU's all-time great rebounders. In fact, he ranks in 4th all time in total rebounds, and 3rd all time in rebounding average (12.3 rpg). He was also one of the most exciting players I ever watched (once or twice only) play at MU. And then I figured the other two would fall into place.

The other two teammates were our starting guards for two years, one at point, one at off guard, and they both attended the same high school. Both started for three years at MU but only played together for two as one was a year older.

Nukem2
06-18-2015, 10:11 AM
I am still kind of surprised that no one has remembered one of the three remaining as he was one of MU's all-time great rebounders. In fact, he ranks in 4th all time in total rebounds, and 3rd all time in rebounding average (12.3 rpg). He was also one of the most exciting players I ever watched (once or twice only) play at MU. And then I figured the other two would fall into place.

The other two teammates were our starting guards for two years, one at point, one at off guard, and they both attended the same high school. Both started for three years at MU but only played together for two as one was a year older.OK, its Walt Mangham. I remembered him from New Castle. But, I thought that was Indiana. guess its PA.

malfadir
06-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Mike Van Sickle

You will probably be able to add Traci Carter to this list.

Phantom Warrior
06-18-2015, 11:43 PM
Time to end this thread.

The two remaining starters who came out of PA were guards Jim McCoy and Jim Kollar, who were also high school teammates. Both were very good players. The third PA player on that team was Mangham.

As an aside, those three played with center Mike Moran, one of the best post players in MU history and Don Kojis, one of the best players in MU history, period. That was the starting five, and it went into the NCAA Tournament with a record of something like 22-2. The team was also invited to the NIT that year, and Ed Hickey said it was a tough decision to say no to the NIT.

Anyway, those are the 10 players from MU's storied past from PA. Traci Carter, however, is the first, as far as I can tell, from the Philly area.