PDA

View Full Version : What I'd Love To See This Year

Phantom Warrior
06-12-2015, 12:53 PM
I'd love to see all five freshmen on the floor at the same time: Carter at point, Cheathum and Anim on the wings, Ellenson at the 4, and Heldt at the 5.

I don't think that has ever happened before at MU. Freshmen started playing again in '72-'73, and I am pretty certain we never had five frosh on the floor together since then. The only five-person freshmen class I recall is the Class of '05, but Mortenson red-shirted. The Class of '09 also had five frosh, but Roseboro left before fall classes started. We might have had four frosh on the floor at the same time in '05-'06 (The Amigos and Burke), but if so, it didn't happen often.

That being said, I am also pretty certain that in the '60-'61 season we probably had five sophomores in their first year of eligibility on the floor together since that class included six players who received a great deal of playing time in Dick Nixon (point), Ron Glaser (2 guard), Bob Hornak (small forward), Dave Erickson (power forward), Len Jefferson (center), and Lee Borowski (forward). In fact, that team may have started five sophomores. That group grew together (though Jefferson left school after his junior year) and became one of my favorite MU teams of all time.

Back to this year's incoming frosh. I think we may actually see that all-freshmen line up, especially in some of the buy games. I get excited just thinking about it.

(I hope the pre-season public scrimmages have the frosh versus the vets.)

MUFAN2010
06-12-2015, 01:00 PM
A Final Four, tbh

Orlando
06-12-2015, 02:06 PM
The class of 1987 was huge. Freshman on the 87-88 team that I can remember off the top of my head were Anglavar, Powell, Candelino, Gross, Leurck, Luter, Nethen and I think Roman Mueller was part of that class also. I doubt that any 5 of those guys were on the floor for any meaningful minutes, but I am sure their was some mop up situations where we had 5 freshmen on the floor that year. As I recall, we were on the wrong side of a lot of mop up games that year.

MayorBeluga
06-12-2015, 02:10 PM
Marquette 77
Wisconsin 56

'nuff said.

TheSultan
06-12-2015, 02:29 PM
The class of 1987 was huge. Freshman on the 87-88 team that I can remember off the top of my head were Anglavar, Powell, Candelino, Gross, Leurck, Luter, Nethen and I think Roman Mueller was part of that class also. I doubt that any 5 of those guys were on the floor for any meaningful minutes, but I am sure their was some mop up situations where we had 5 freshmen on the floor that year. As I recall, we were on the wrong side of a lot of mop up games that year.

Roman Muller was 1986, but yeah the 1987 class had seven freshmen. I believe Powell, Anglavar and Grosse are the only three to finish all four years at MU.

Nukem2
06-12-2015, 02:47 PM
Roman Muller was 1986, but yeah the 1987 class had seven freshmen. I believe Powell, Anglavar and Grosse are the only three to finish all four years at MU.
Luter, of course, was an injury victim.

TheSultan
06-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Luter, of course, was an injury victim.

Thanks. To be honest I forgot about that.

IrwinFletcher
06-12-2015, 04:04 PM
Luter would have been one of those athletes the program hadn't seen in awhile. Blowing out the knee really ended his career.

Phantom Warrior
06-12-2015, 04:48 PM
Orlando,

I forgot about that class, which I think is understandable.

Powell started his freshman year, and I think Anglavar did, too, though I'm not sure. I suppose it is possible that five frosh were on the floor together at some point. I really liked Luter after watching him play in high school. He had the potential to be the best of that group, but his leg injury totally undermined his career.

Nethen left mid-year as a junior and transferred. I think Luerck transferred after his junior year, but not positive. Candelino transferred after his sophomore year.

KMWTRUCKS
06-12-2015, 06:14 PM
I arrived at MU in 87 and Leurck younger brother went to my high school for a year while John stayed downstate for his Sr year. So I was pretty good friends of his. He even brought over a top 50 pg from out east to my Ps house in valpo. John graduated from MU but did not play his SR year.