PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Washington Visiting Starting Today

TedBaxter
06-05-2015, 05:33 AM
Another important recruit for Wojo and staff.

KMWTRUCKS
06-05-2015, 06:46 AM
We should be Ok next year. I'm hoping for a NCAA team. But the year after that. if Henry and luke stay we will be a final 4 caliber team. you look at that Roster and there is just not a weakness, Height, skill, athletic, shooting.

C:Luke, Heldt
PF: henry, kyle
Sf:Sandy, Wally Sacar
OG:Duane, JJ, Cheathem
PG:traci and Rowsey

SR: JJ, WALLY, Luke
JR:Duane, Sandy, washington, Rowsey
Soph: Henry, Cheathem, Traci, Heldt, Sacar
Fri: hauser

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-05-2015, 07:02 AM
We should be Ok next year. I'm hoping for a NCAA team. But the year after that. if Henry and luke stay we will be a final 4 caliber team. you look at that Roster and there is just not a weakness, Height, skill, athletic, shooting.

C:Luke, Heldt
PF: henry, kyle
Sf:Sandy, Wally Sacar
OG:Duane, JJ, Cheathem
PG:traci and Rowsey

SR: JJ, WALLY, Luke
JR:Duane, Sandy, washington, Rowsey
Soph: Henry, Cheathem, Traci, Heldt, Sacar
Fri: hauser

That is certainly optimistic, I think getting to the NCAA tournament this year will be over achieving for this team. That can be debated because it really depends how you feel about the roster makeup and potential of certain guys, but I think if Henry where to stay, to say we are a final 4 team is real bold, maybe sweet 16 team, but I don't know that just yet I'm ready to say these guys are better than any of our teams from the past 10 years. They very well ,at turn out to be better, but there is a long way to go.

Of course that's not what this is all about, Kyle Washington would be a good pickup, not sure if I'd prefer him or another 2016 recruit, but it really depends how the staff views Washington's perspective. Don't forget, Washington has to sit out a year before he can play.

KMWTRUCKS
06-05-2015, 07:22 AM
I'm basing next years team on the fact that we return our 2 best players from last year in Duane and Luke. We add a 4th year player in Wally, and a lottery pick. That should be good enough to get us in the Top 40 in the country I think. I also think Traci (injury) and Sacar (very good all around game) will be better FR then all but maybe 50 kids. IE way better then there ranking.

We have had other good teams but we rarely had size. Washington would be in his 4th year, along with Luke and Henry would be a Soph along with Heldt. How many teams could match up with that size and Exp? We would have 4 players between 6-9-6-11, 2 of which will probably play in the NBA. When I say final 4 team that means I think on paper we would be a top 10 team in the country. I just could not see how there would be 10 teams with stronger roster's then that.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-05-2015, 08:54 AM
I'm basing next years team on the fact that we return our 2 best players from last year in Duane and Luke. We add a 4th year player in Wally, and a lottery pick. That should be good enough to get us in the Top 40 in the country I think. I also think Traci (injury) and Sacar (very good all around game) will be better FR then all but maybe 50 kids. IE way better then there ranking.

We have had other good teams but we rarely had size. Washington would be in his 4th year, along with Luke and Henry would be a Soph along with Heldt. How many teams could match up with that size and Exp? We would have 4 players between 6-9-6-11, 2 of which will probably play in the NBA. When I say final 4 team that means I think on paper we would be a top 10 team in the country. I just could not see how there would be 10 teams with stronger roster's then that.

There is a lot of projecting in that theory. There is no way all of that pans out, and realistically I only see one NBA player in that group of bigs (Henry), I get that some of our freshman are underrated, but to expect them all to pan out isn't realistic. The reality is that Henry likely won't stay if he is projected as a lottery pick so it's kind of a mute point. I do think that Heldt, Fisher, and Washington is a really good front court, but I think you are under estimating how hard a final 4 is to get to.

TrevorCandelino
06-05-2015, 09:35 AM
FYI, heard from a former player who has seen Traci and Sacar play since they arrived who said "they are really good"

MU/Panther
06-05-2015, 09:37 AM
FYI, heard from a former player who has seen Traci and Sacar play since they arrived who said "they are really good" That is always good to hear!

KMWTRUCKS
06-05-2015, 09:37 AM
The only projecting i did was say that Sacar and Traci are going to be better then all but maybe 50 fr, and that Luke will be a NBA player. 2nd and 3rd string centers in the NBA are not better players then what Luke will be in 2 more years if he stays healthy. And Henry will be a lottery, which most people are projecting. Why you mention the frontcourt of Luke Heldt and Washington When I said right from the beginning that IF Henry and Luke stay for there Soph and Sr year. I also know how hard it is to win 4 games in the NCAA in a row, that is why I said final 4 caliber team, I did not say they would make the final 4. Big difference.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
06-05-2015, 10:04 AM
How good is this Kyle Washington kid? Just going on stats, it looks like he played and contributed on a very strong Nc State team so I would imagine this would be a nice pick up. However, I've never seen him play and where he was ranked in high school is irrelevant to me.

As a side note, I also think Luke plays in the NBA someday.

MUfan12
06-05-2015, 10:15 AM
FYI, heard from a former player who has seen Traci and Sacar play since they arrived who said "they are really good"

To add on what you heard, I was also told this week that both kids seem really mature, and are really getting after it in workouts.

TheSultan
06-05-2015, 10:21 AM
As a side note, I also think Luke plays in the NBA someday.

For Luke to make the NBA, he is going to have to develop his offensive game much further, or he is going to have to become a lot stronger. The best hope for him would be for him to become a mini-Kaminsky who can stretch the floor a bit with his shooting. I watch a lot of NBA, and there is absolutely no place for a guy with his game as it stands right now.

TheSultan
06-05-2015, 10:22 AM
To add on what you heard, I was also told this week that both kids seem really mature, and are really getting after it in workouts.

Notice how we don't seem to have to worry about the phrase "NCAA Clearinghouse" either? Think about it...these guys are already on campus just a week or so after finishing up classes. They must have qualified pretty darn early.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
06-05-2015, 10:36 AM
For Luke to make the NBA, he is going to have to develop his offensive game much further, or he is going to have to become a lot stronger. The best hope for him would be for him to become a mini-Kaminsky who can stretch the floor a bit with his shooting. I watch a lot of NBA, and there is absolutely no place for a guy with his game as it stands right now.

Admittedly I used to watch a lot more NBA than I do now, but do realize the game is evolving tremendously. However, there is still a place for a 6'11 5 man who can defend and rebound - I think Luke's best path to the NBA is improving in both of these aspects which I think he will in time. Getting stronger will only help this.

KMWTRUCKS
06-05-2015, 10:52 AM
I went to a NBA roster depth chart and there are 85 centers listed. Take a look at the list and then tell me if you think Luke with 2 more years and 20 more lbs would be not be able to crack that list. Does he project as a starter NO, but with most teams carry 3 centers I think he would make it.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/depth-charts/nba.aspx

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-05-2015, 10:55 AM
The only projecting i did was say that Sacar and Traci are going to be better then all but maybe 50 fr, and that Luke will be a NBA player. 2nd and 3rd string centers in the NBA are not better players then what Luke will be in 2 more years if he stays healthy. And Henry will be a lottery, which most people are projecting. Why you mention the frontcourt of Luke Heldt and Washington When I said right from the beginning that IF Henry and Luke stay for there Soph and Sr year. I also know how hard it is to win 4 games in the NCAA in a row, that is why I said final 4 caliber team, I did not say they would make the final 4. Big difference.

I think those items you list there alone are big ifs... I look at the final four teams from the last few years and I guess I just don't see us as the same caliber next year, even with Henry staying. We have heard many times that freshman look really good, let's see it on the court before I start projecting them to be top 50 type guys or guys that will be solid contributors to a final 4 caliber team.

MUMac
06-05-2015, 11:00 AM

I agree with you, but wonder how much of it was the shoulder issues he had last year? Unfortunately, it will be difficult for him to get stronger this offseason. It will be interesting to watch his development and progress.

MUMac
06-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Notice how we don't seem to have to worry about the phrase "NCAA Clearinghouse" either? Think about it...these guys are already on campus just a week or so after finishing up classes. They must have qualified pretty darn early.

You do not get through the Clearinghouse until the transcripts are provided to the NCAA. For most, it is a pretty quick process once that everything is in place. Those that retook classes, transferred, attended prep schools or the NCAA had other concerns, are the ones that get reviewed in more detail. Along with those that are borderline in the approval.

TheSultan
06-05-2015, 11:05 AM
I went to a NBA roster depth chart and there are 85 centers listed. Take a look at the list and then tell me if you think Luke with 2 more years and 20 more lbs would be not be able to crack that list. Does he project as a starter NO, but with most teams carry 3 centers I think he would make it.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/depth-charts/nba.aspx

When I look at that list, I see hope for him as a Mason Plumlee type player. But as I said, he will have to develop his game, and get stronger to get there.

TheSultan
06-05-2015, 11:06 AM
You do not get through the Clearinghouse until the transcripts are provided to the NCAA. For most, it is a pretty quick process once that everything is in place. Those that retook classes, transferred, attended prep schools or the NCAA had other concerns, are the ones that get reviewed in more detail. Along with those that are borderline in the approval.

But don't you have to get through the Clearinghouse to be on scholarship even for the summer?

Gato78
06-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Not in the case of Lazar Hayward. If I recall correctly, his dad paid for the summer session while the NCAA was checking his eligibility.

MUAlphaBangura
06-05-2015, 11:17 AM

Greg Steimsma is in the NBA. I rest my case. :cool:

79warrior
06-05-2015, 11:46 AM
I think those items you list there alone are big ifs... I look at the final four teams from the last few years and I guess I just don't see us as the same caliber next year, even with Henry staying. We have heard many times that freshman look really good, let's see it on the court before I start projecting them to be top 50 type guys or guys that will be solid contributors to a final 4 caliber team.

Agree. Expectations need to be tempered. This team is extremely young and somewhat inexperienced.

KMWTRUCKS
06-05-2015, 01:15 PM
this is not next year, I said I thought we would be boderline NCAA. This would be for 16-17 season. Luke would be a SR, Duane would be a Jr, Henry would be a soph, and both transfers would be eligible. That team would be deep, would not be relying on any 1st year player for contributions, it would be Tall, and it would have a very balanced roster. IE guys that can shoot, drive, Dribble, rebound, block shots.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
06-05-2015, 01:29 PM
I try to temper expectations, especially a year out. I remember for a long time thinking 2013-14 would be our year to contend for a title. Didn't work out so well.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-05-2015, 02:02 PM
this is not next year, I said I thought we would be boderline NCAA. This would be for 16-17 season. Luke would be a SR, Duane would be a Jr, Henry would be a soph, and both transfers would be eligible. That team would be deep, would not be relying on any 1st year player for contributions, it would be Tall, and it would have a very balanced roster. IE guys that can shoot, drive, Dribble, rebound, block shots.

When I say "next year" thats what I mean, I look at 15-16 as this year... sorry should have been more clear on that.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-05-2015, 02:02 PM
I try to temper expectations, especially a year out. I remember for a long time thinking 2013-14 would be our year to contend for a title. Didn't work out so well.

agreed, whole heartedly, we are talking a hypothetical situation, I dont think either of us truly believe it will play out as we suggest.

Markedman
06-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Any tidbits about how Kyle's visit went? Could a commitment be forthcoming or is he definitely going to take his visit to Cincy?