PDA

View Full Version : RIP Don Walker

TheSultan
05-22-2015, 11:48 AM
JS Sports Business reporter. Apparently died of a massive heart attack this morning.

Mark Miller
05-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Man. That's awful.

We truly do not know the day or hour.

Markedman
05-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Sigh.......RIP

IWB
05-22-2015, 12:45 PM
I know people here have not liked Don's writing in regards to MU over the last few years, but Don was a good guy and a big MU fan.

When I was working at the Journal I got to know Don and he was a really good guy. A week before I was let go in round 4 of the massive layoffs, I told Don that I thought it would happen and he said, "So they wanted this website that nobody wanted, they never supported it and now its far exceeding expectations and they want to get rid of it? That makes no sense."

A week later I was let go with several others and by the time I got home I had an e-mail from him wishing me the best and said if I ever needed a letter of recommendation that he would be first in line.

Sad news.

Nukem2
05-22-2015, 12:51 PM
RIP, Don...as Mark posted, you just never know.

sailwi
05-22-2015, 01:34 PM
Don was very good friends with my brothers from their MU days and all being from Detroit. Don was a great guy, an objective journalist and had the driest sense of humor of anyone I have ever met. Great behind the scenes stories of some of the people he wrote about over the years. I know some have criticized him about some of the MU coverage during the off court stuff but he was a fair and even handed journalist and was just doing his job of reporting the facts. Prayers for Don and his family.

MU/Panther
05-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Very sad news. Shocking. I see him in attendance alot at Marquette games.

ge1974
05-22-2015, 08:19 PM
I went to high school with Don at Brother Rice in Birmingham,MI. He was an outstanding long distance runner in track and cross country and still holds a school record or two.

I still can recall falling on top of Don after Maurice Lucas hit the desperation jumper to beat Wisconsin at the buzzer during the wild celebrations on 1974.

Great guy who died way too young. RIP Don.