PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Previews Iowa

Phantom Warrior
05-12-2015, 04:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/107240/looking-ahead-iowa-hawkeyes

Should be a tough opponent. Hawkeyes return four starters.

Did not realize Uthoff has such a productive year. Projected as potential first-team all-conference.

A 7'1" center should be a solid test for Luke, and Gesell should be a good test for Carter.

I'm glad we got matched up with Iowa - good competition but not at the level of a Maryland.

warriorfan4life
05-12-2015, 10:10 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/107240/looking-ahead-iowa-hawkeyes

Should be a tough opponent. Hawkeyes return four starters.

Did not realize Uthoff has such a productive year. Projected as potential first-team all-conference.

A 7'1" center should be a solid test for Luke, and Gesell should be a good test for Carter.

I'm glad we got matched up with Iowa - good competition but not at the level of a Maryland.

Just hope that Woodbury can keep his hands to himself (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/adam-woodbury-s-eye-poking-draws-more-unwanted-attention-190453286.html) and not poke Luke in the eye.

Goose85
05-13-2015, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the link Phantom. I didn't realize they return four starters, they will be tough.

The Big 10 could have some real strength at the top of the conference.
Maryland and Indiana could be top 10 teams, with Michigan / Michigan State / Purdue / Iowa / Wisconsin all potential top 25.

IWB
05-13-2015, 12:45 PM
Just hope that Woodbury can keep his hands to himself (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/adam-woodbury-s-eye-poking-draws-more-unwanted-attention-190453286.html) and not poke Luke in the eye.

Every player should come out of the locker room wearing goggles.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
05-13-2015, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the link Phantom. I didn't realize they return four starters, they will be tough.

The Big 10 could have some real strength at the top of the conference.
Maryland and Indiana could be top 10 teams, with Michigan / Michigan State / Purdue / Iowa / Wisconsin all potential top 25.

I know someone says it almost every year, but I really think this is the year Wisconsin falls off. There's just so much quality at the top of that league next year. I love Hayes, and Koenig is a pain in the ass type player, but after those two, there's just no one that jumps off the page. Showalter is annoying, sure, but he's not in the realm of Josh Gasser. No one saw Kaminsky coming, but even when he wasn't getting minutes he was a high efficiency offensive player that could shoot the three, whereas Vitto Brown is a low efficiency player who can't. Who else is there? Dearring? Happ or one of the true freshmen? I'm sure there will be guys that give production outside the top two, but this may be the least experienced, most bare cupboard Bo has ever had. The only senior is walk-on Jordan Smith who scored zero points last year.

They'll probably start the year ranked, just because of the past two years and because Bo has burned so many sportswriters in the past who wrote them off in the preseason, but unless both Hayes and Koenig are All-American level, or 2-3 other guys are ready to be legitimate 25-30 mpg starters from day one, they could be in for a very rapid fall. Last year, I thought the Badgers were a title contender and (before the UK kids came back) should have been preseason #1. This year, I'd say unranked and expect them to not only finish out of the top-4 in the league, but to miss the NCAA Tournament. I think the Big 10 will send 7-8 teams dancing, but I don't think Wisconsin will be one. In addition to the ones Goose mentioned, I think Northwestern, Ohio State, and Illinois all have a chance to pass Wisconsin.

Markedman
05-13-2015, 01:40 PM
I think based on practice performance they are expecting big things from Happ.

05-13-2015, 02:19 PM
I think based on practice performance they are expecting big things from Happ.

Even if Happ offers big things, that's three reliable starters with no one else that has indicated they can play at the high major level and no bench. I just don't see this being the typical Bo bounce-back team. And practice is great and all, but practice also had us ready for Dan Fitzgerald to be the next big thing. Not every great practice player is Dwyane Wade. Count me a skeptic until the kid is proving it on the court.

IrwinFletcher
05-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Happ, Brown and Showalter all may become really good players, but to make the jump from no playing time to a major contributor on a Top 15 team is tough. Look at the progression from Kaminsky - it took two full years for him to blossom.

Bo will get a lot out of the guys but there is just too much youth and inexperience to make a run at the top of the Big 10. Plus, they will not have the benefit of an easy conference schedule.

Gato78
05-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Schowalter is not that good. Slow of foot and no hops. Gritty. Not a high D1 player.

Phantom Warrior
05-13-2015, 03:54 PM
The parallels between UW for next year and MU for next year are pretty interesting.

Both teams return to starters who averaged significant mpg.

Up front it's Hayes and Luke. Luke gives us veteran presence at a key position, the 5, but I'd have to give the nod to Hayes who is much more versatile. Hayes will probably average at least 15-16 ppg and maybe 6-7 rpg. Luke could come close to those numbers, but Hayes will be vying for first team all-BIG 14, and I don't see that happening yet for Luke.

In the back court it's Koening and Duane. In my mind that's a likely draw. Koening is more of a pure point/creator, but I see both capable of averaging 14-15 ppg. Both will have to hit a reasonable percentage from the perimeter.

Both teams are expecting a newcomer to the active roster to make a major contribution, specifically Happ and Henry. Happ doesn't come in with the hype/expectations that some fans have for Henry, but I think both are being counted on to score in double digits and grab their share of rebounds. Happ, of course, has one advantage in that he red-shirted last year and was able to practice against the likes of Dekker and Hayes.

After those three players for each team, it looks like pretty much of a scramble for both teams. There are some fairly high hopes (not necessarily expectations) for freshmen, such as Pritzl for the Badgers and Carter, Cheatham, et al for the Warriors, and both teams are hoping one or more veterans can raise the level of their game - Showalter, Dearing, Brown for UW and JJJ, Sandy, Wally for MU.

I think the primary difference between the Badgers next year and previous Badger teams will be having to compensate for two developments that are extremely unusual in the Badgers' program: first, the loss of a crucial player early to the NBA in Dekker, and, secondly, the loss of a talented player to transfer in Uthoff. Had Dekker stayed for his final season and Uthoff not transferred, UW would have a formidable foursome to build around instead of a twosome.

Someone will step up for the Badgers, but I think Bo may have to do his best coaching job to get the Badgers back to the Big Dance.

Nukem2
05-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Schowalter is not that good. Slow of foot and no hops. Gritty. Not a high D1 player.Having said that, he is probably the perfect guy for a quick couple minutes in Bo's system as he showed in several games in the B1G tourney and the NCAAs. Just enough to help in a pinch.....

Gato78
05-13-2015, 08:06 PM
I agree with that. Not a starter and should not be a key reserve. Spot minutes. Schowalter, to me, was proof that Bucky did not have any good players on the bench who translate to good Big Tenleventwelve players this upcoming year otherwise Schowalter wouldn't been on the floor.

05-14-2015, 11:36 AM
Looking at some of the Wisconsin players to emerge in the past...
Frank Kaminsky: Offensive rating of 105.8 & 122.4 his first two years. Limited minutes, but plenty of indicators he had the ability to succeed.
Ryan Evans: Offensive rating of 92.4 & 82.4 his first two years. His "breakout" 101.6 as a junior was low by Bo standards, and he reverted to the mean, 88.4, as a senior. Put up some numbers, but efficiency didn't change much.
Jared Berggren: Had a 101.8 offensive rating playing 14% of the minutes as a sophomore. Improved to 105.2 and 111.9 as his minutes increased in upperclassmen years.
Jordan Taylor: Clear exception to the rule. 80.4 ORtg as a freshman, but 110.1, 126.9, 114.7 his last three years as he earned starter minutes.
I could keep going, but generally, the guys that become stars for them always have an offensive rating around 100 or better, even in limited minutes. They give plenty of indicators they can play. Leuer, Nankivil, even their low usage guys like Gasser and Jarmusz...the ones that are efficient are consistently efficient regardless if they are playing 7 mpg or 27 mpg. That's why I think Wisconsin could be in for a hit next year. Riley Dearring had a 65.3 offensive rating, Vitto Brown was at 89.3. Maybe Showalter will be the guy that shows through, he had a stunning 128.6, but he's another low usage guy like Jarmusz or Gasser. Two proven players, one hopeful redshirt, and one role-player does not a basketball team make.