PDA

View Full Version : Sports Medicine Center

MU/Panther
05-07-2015, 12:41 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/marquette-releases-early-designs-for-sports-medicine-center-b99496105z1-302950161.html

TedBaxter
05-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Impressive. Nice addition to the athletic department at Marquette and helps bridge the gap between downtown and MU. Doesn't hurt to be involved with the Bucks either.

MU/Panther
05-07-2015, 01:27 PM
https://news.marquette.edu/university-news/marquette-releases-preliminary-design-concepts-of-new-world-class-athletic-performance-research-center/

MUFLA
05-07-2015, 02:38 PM
Would have been nice to see more academic buildings spread out east...but it does look pretty.

KMWTRUCKS
05-07-2015, 02:48 PM
I would say do not spend to much money on this till the Bucks deal is done. Bucks leave the center dye's

Goose85
05-07-2015, 02:52 PM
Incredible opportunity for MU to partner with the deep pocket owners of the Bucks, who really want to develop top level sports training research.

I can imagine such a facility will also elevate the other athletic programs at MU. You want to train at top sports medicine facility, come to MU.

Would it be possible to add some seats and play some lacrosse / soccer games indoors early in the season? Indoor conference track championships or big indoor track meets?

Great opportunity for MU athletics with the proposed new Bucks facility and this new sports medicine complex.

MUfan12
05-07-2015, 04:25 PM
Would have been nice to see more academic buildings spread out east...but it does look pretty.

The problem with putting academic buildings back there would be the time in between classes. Would be tough to get from a class at Lalumiere or one of the Wehr's down to that area in 10 minutes.

MUFLA
05-07-2015, 05:27 PM
you are probably correct about the walk time. Was thinking it would be a good spot to replace some of the outdated bldgs (like the Wehrs etc)

Gato78
05-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Was at Dr. Lovell's talk at Freshwater Center tonight. He has a lot of plates spinning but he said the training facility was the result of Wes Edens and he talking about new arena. He was looking to advance MU health sciences. Edens was involved in US Ski Team which had the first such facility and it greatly increased their medal take. Edens wanted to attract free agents to the Bucks and believed the could increase players' careers if they had proper medical and rehab training minds and facilities. They realized they were talking about the same thing and decided to do it together rather than separately. My hunch is funding is not a problem.

TheSultan
05-07-2015, 07:52 PM
They wouldn't be making such an announcement if funding was in any way in doubt. (Although my guess is it was strategically done while arena negotiations are going on.)

mutpm
05-08-2015, 06:21 AM
Was at Dr. Lovell's talk at Freshwater Center tonight. He has a lot of plates spinning but he said the training facility was the result of Wes Edens and he talking about new arena. He was looking to advance MU health sciences. Edens was involved in US Ski Team which had the first such facility and it greatly increased their medal take. Edens wanted to attract free agents to the Bucks and believed the could increase players' careers if they had proper medical and rehab training minds and facilities. They realized they were talking about the same thing and decided to do it together rather than separately. My hunch is funding is not a problem.

This will be a $100 million facility. Funding anything at that level is not easy.

Gato78
05-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Unless you are partnering with three or four billionaires.

mutpm
05-08-2015, 01:05 PM
It's easy to spend other people's money. They have already committed a sizable amount of money to the new arena. I find it hard to believe they will give a significant amount to this facility. While it's being advertised as a partnership, Marquette will get way more out of this facility than the Bucks will. Even if they commit $50 million (I think that amount is highly unlikely), that still leaves MU to raise an amount that is almost twice as much as the Al cost.

MUFLA
05-08-2015, 02:56 PM
This complex is pretty amazing for a private school. It's also pretty amazing for a large state school. This would make quite an impression to a recruit.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-08-2015, 04:36 PM
This complex is pretty amazing for a private school. It's also pretty amazing for a large state school. This would make quite an impression to a recruit.

Not only athletes, but sports medicine students...

KMWTRUCKS
05-09-2015, 05:17 PM
It could also be a help our national academic ranking, Purdue, Georgia, Pitt, Maryland, Byu are tied at 62-67, Cuse, Fordham, Smu UCONN, 58-62. We are tied at 76.
Also when it comes to something that is trend setting Alums might give more money especially when its going to help our sports. IE a new English building might keep my wallet in my pocket but this might allow my alligator arms to get a little longer.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
05-10-2015, 06:14 AM
It's easy to spend other people's money. They have already committed a sizable amount of money to the new arena. I find it hard to believe they will give a significant amount to this facility. While it's being advertised as a partnership, Marquette will get way more out of this facility than the Bucks will. Even if they commit $50 million (I think that amount is highly unlikely), that still leaves MU to raise an amount that is almost twice as much as the Al cost.

One of the owners talked about investing as much as $500M in the area surrounding the new Arena once the plan is in place. Who knows if it all comes to fruition but it's possible that this facility is part of that plan, in which case $50-100M is just a portion of a planned investment.

mutpm
05-11-2015, 06:20 AM
That's true, but they made it sound like that investment was in the area directly around the new arena, in an area they could see ea return on their investment. This facility will not be in the arena district and will not have the same return on investment as the arena district development. As I said before, even if the owners fund half, it will be a big fundraising project for MU, one that will take a couple of years at least to complete.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
05-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Having a facility to keep their own players healthy and help attract potential free agents would definitely offer return on their investment. There's also the potential practice facility that may not attract fans but will still offer a solid return on investment. Anything that helps attract and retain players will offer return on investment, and may be the most important investments for their long term interests.

TheSultan
05-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Marquette wouldn't have announced it unless there were reasonable assurances that it would be built.

Goose85
05-11-2015, 09:25 AM
This will be a $100 million facility. Funding anything at that level is not easy.

I never saw the $100 million figure. I didn't think it would be that much. While the facility looks nice, seems like most of it is just a big field house which doesn't seem like it should cost that much to me.

Like others have said, if they have announced it I'm sure they have a pretty good idea where most of the funding is coming from for this project.

MUAlphaBangura
05-11-2015, 02:29 PM
I never saw the $100 million figure. I didn't think it would be that much. While the facility looks nice, seems like most of it is just a big field house which doesn't seem like it should cost that much to me.

Like others have said, if they have announced it I'm sure they have a pretty good idea where most of the funding is coming from for this project.

Have heard that it could be upwards of $150 million, depending on the technologies that will be incorporated into the facility. This type of state of the art equipment can be hugely expensive. Yes, it will be a major fundraising effort, but they are ready for it. Haven't heard anything regarding the Bucks contribution.

Goose85
05-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Have heard that it could be upwards of $150 million, depending on the technologies that will be incorporated into the facility. This type of state of the art equipment can be hugely expensive. Yes, it will be a major fundraising effort, but they are ready for it. Haven't heard anything regarding the Bucks contribution.

That is a huge chunk of change, about 5 times the cost of the Al center.

I'd think they would have an idea what the Bucks owners are willing to contribute to make it happen.

I know it is still in the planning stages, but will this be broken into phases, like phase 1 is constructing the MUAlphaBangura field house, phase 2 is the Edens sports medicine center building, phase 3 is the .....

Was there a goal to begin the project (shovels in the ground)?

MUAlphaBangura
05-11-2015, 03:47 PM
That is a huge chunk of change, about 5 times the cost of the Al center.

I'd think they would have an idea what the Bucks owners are willing to contribute to make it happen.

I know it is still in the planning stages, but will this be broken into phases, like phase 1 is constructing the MUAlphaBangura field house, phase 2 is the Edens sports medicine center building, phase 3 is the .....

Was there a goal to begin the project (shovels in the ground)?

Haven't heard any other specifics as far as phases or a timeline. Do know that they are very seriously looking at putting seating in the field house for early season Lacrosse.