PDA

View Full Version : Game Changer for HS Basketball vs AAU?

Mucrisco
05-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Since I have been involved with both, I can certainly understand where each side is coming from. Because of that, I've designed my program as one that is based upon opportunity, not obligation. I have been of the opinion that one reason why AAU might become more important than HS basketball and already is for many athletes is because HS coaches are restricted from how much they can work with their athletes. I have heard so many people, even HS coaches that say that they don't like AAU basketball because it is not an atmosphere that promotes skill development. On the flip side, I have heard many AAU coaches criticize HS coaches because there are just there to collect a paycheck and they don't really know basketball. Personally, I think there is some truth to both of those things. I have seen bad AAU programs and I have seen bad HS programs. In my opinion, I don't understand why coaches from both programs can't cooperate with each other.

The other day, I read that the WIAA has changed the rule that limits contact by HS coaches. Unless I am illiterate, this means that HS coaches can work with their athletes at any time of the year. I am wondering if this is a game changer. I think it has potential to be one. This should definitely place the importance of basketball back into the HS programs. However, what I am wondering is if those HS coaches, who criticize AAU programs, will now speak through their actions, not just their words. Like I said before, I work with my kids all year round. During their HS season, I will have Sunday skill development workouts, because my kids say they are not getting that in their HS programs. Once the HS season ends, I will move to skill development workouts, 5 days a week. Once we get close to tournaments, two of the skill development workouts are team practices instead. As I said earlier, none of these are obligations. They are just opportunities for the girls.

If I was a HS coach, I would have the same format for my HS players during the summertime. For the ones that claim that summertime is for skill development, which I agree, are they going to take the time to organize these things themselves. It appears that they have the opportunity to do that now. Personally, I am interested to see how this plays out.

TheSultan
05-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Will high school teams be able to play more during the summer?

Mucrisco
05-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Will high school teams be able to play more during the summer?

What is your definition of more? HS teams are usually already playing 2 games a week during the summer and have been for a long time. There are also HS summer tournaments.

Goose85
05-06-2015, 11:30 AM
What is your definition of more? HS teams are usually already playing 2 games a week during the summer and have been for a long time. There are also HS summer tournaments.

Mucrisco - with the HS summer leagues, will the school's head coach now be able to coach the summer league games?
Will high school teams now be able to enter aau tournaments and be coached by the high school coach?

Mucrisco
05-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Mucrisco - with the HS summer leagues, will the school's head coach now be able to coach the summer league games?
Will high school teams now be able to enter aau tournaments and be coached by the high school coach?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/wiaa-plans-on-competitive-equity-voted-down-b99486319z1-300950181.html
(http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/wiaa-plans-on-competitive-equity-voted-down-b99486319z1-300950181.html)
"Competitive equity wasn't the only major issue voted upon Wednesday. The other major topic involved additional contact for basketball coaches during the summer, unlimited non–school coaching contact in all sports except football and two amendments dealing with non-school participation during the season in the same sport."

http://www.wissports.net/news_article/show/506819?referrer_id=532521

"One of the amendments having a significant impact on the Rules of Eligibility adds basketball, hockey and volleyball to the list of sports with unlimited non-school contact in the summer. The membership voted in favor of the proposal by 230-196 vote. With unlimited non-school contact, no school resources can be used to fund the activity, pay the coach or supervisors, or pay for transportation to-and-from events. Non-school opportunities must be voluntary and not limited to students on the basis of school affiliation, athletic experience or team status."

So, the way I understand it is that the school can't pay for any of these extra opportunities. (Booster clubs can.) So HS coaches will be allowed to coach whenever they want. They can certainly coach an AAU team with his/her HS players.

Mucrisco
05-06-2015, 11:54 AM
On another note, wouldn't you think this would be bigger news? It seems that people only cared about the private school vs public school issue.

Goose85
05-06-2015, 12:28 PM
On another note, wouldn't you think this would be bigger news? It seems that people only cared about the private school vs public school issue.

This is much bigger news. I'd guess coaches can't use school funds, but I don't think many used school funds for the summer leagues.

Mucrisco
05-06-2015, 12:32 PM
This is much bigger news. I'd guess coaches can't use school funds, but I don't think many used school funds for the summer leagues.

Correct. They are not allowed to use school funds. Coaches aren't even supposed to organize a summer team. This is a quote from an e-mail that one of my parents received:

"Per WIAA rules, the summer leagues must be independent of high school
programs, therefore the Booster Club runs the program and participation is not a
requirement of the High School program. The Girl’s Basketball Booster Club
coordinates the teams and players for the summer leagues."

Goose85
05-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Correct. They are not allowed to use school funds. Coaches aren't even supposed to organize a summer team. This is a quote from an e-mail that one of my parents received:

"Per WIAA rules, the summer leagues must be independent of high school
programs, therefore the Booster Club runs the program and participation is not a
requirement of the High School program. The Girl’s Basketball Booster Club
coordinates the teams and players for the summer leagues."

Well I guess your booster club, if they like the high school coach, can ask that high school coach to coach the summer team.

Goose85
05-06-2015, 12:57 PM
By the way Crisco, I really do appreciate your insight into these topics, as I know you are heavily involved. Thanks.

Mucrisco
05-06-2015, 01:04 PM
By the way Crisco, I really do appreciate your insight into these topics, as I know you are heavily involved. Thanks.

I enjoy discussing these things and you and I always have good discussions. Your insight is valuable to me. I think you can learn something from everybody and you always have to be willing to learn. The guy that thinks he knows everything probably doesn't know much at all. I love having these discussions and there is no better place than this board to talk about this stuff.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
05-06-2015, 06:02 PM

+1000

Phantom Warrior
05-06-2015, 11:30 PM
It's about time the WIAA actually made a rational decision regarding coaches being able to coach/work with their players during the summer. It is long overdue. The five "contact days" was a token drop in the proverbial bucket.

Oddly, the new guidelines mirror those of the archdiocese with respect to middle school basketball. Three of the last four years I coached the same girls (and a few others) that I either had coached the previous season or would coach the upcoming season in a summer league. But we were not allowed to use any school facilities or school funds, and we could not use the school's name.

So, we entered summer league play as the Warriors, the families paid for the girls' jerseys and the fee to play in the league, and we practiced once a week in another gym. There were other school teams that did essentially the same thing. In fact, one summer the league was at St. Mary's of Menomonee Falls and included a number of teams from specific schools/parishes.

This approach has been going on for years. It's a shame it took the WIAA so long to emulate it.

bergamont
05-07-2015, 02:02 PM
Coaches got around the rule by having others run the summer programs. The end of May through June is a big month for HS. Thats why there are no tourneys for the HS kids in June. I have spoken to several HS coaches. Its a good and bad thing for the reasons listed above. Coaches don't make money to coach and are concerned about their free time. How involved do they now become? If coach X is doing it, then coach Y has to do it. The summer AAU is where colleges do their scouting and thats why kids play the AAU circuit. This rule won't change it.