PDA

View Full Version : Pick One NCAA Rule Change

Goose85
04-28-2015, 09:34 AM
You have just been appointed the NCAA Basketball Rule Czar. You can change one game related rule. What would you change?

TheSultan
04-28-2015, 09:37 AM
You have just been appointed the NCAA Basketball Rule Czar. You can change one game related rule. What would you change?

Coaches get one TO per half.

MU/Panther
04-28-2015, 09:43 AM
Timeouts. We don't need 18, with 11 being full timeouts.

MUfan12
04-28-2015, 10:02 AM
Secondary defenders sliding in will no longer be able to take a charge.

IWB
04-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Fewer timeouts.

CaribouJim
04-28-2015, 10:39 AM
If you haven't already fouled out in regulation, you get a 6th before fouling out in overtime(s). I wish the Big East would adopt this in conference play - foster that well earned physical play reputation that the Big East was and is known for.

Nothing huge, but something to draw attention to the BE.

MayorBeluga
04-28-2015, 10:58 AM
Timeouts can only be called at a deadball or after a made basket.

Goose85
04-28-2015, 10:59 AM
I don't know how this could be enforced, but one thing I can't stand is when the offense initiates contact on a shot just to draw a foul on the defensive player.

The offensive player gives a pump fake, the defender jumps up or to the side of the shooter to distract the shot, but not jump into or reach over the shooter. The shooter then changes direction of the jump shot and jumps into the defender on the shot to draw the foul. Why is that always a foul on the defense? Normal shooters don't jump sideways when taking a shot. That is one thing that just bugs me.

Markedman
04-28-2015, 11:26 AM

This is mine.......

DCwarrior
04-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Expand the 3-point line to NBA length.

Gato78
04-28-2015, 01:25 PM
A parent or legal guardian cannot have anything to do with "AAU" teams. That way, donations to AAU programs, either by shoe companies or individual donors, will not end up in the hands of the parents of recruits.

IWB
04-28-2015, 01:42 PM
I don't know how this could be enforced, but one thing I can't stand is when the offense initiates contact on a shot just to draw a foul on the defensive player.

The offensive player gives a pump fake, the defender jumps up or to the side of the shooter to distract the shot, but not jump into or reach over the shooter. The shooter then changes direction of the jump shot and jumps into the defender on the shot to draw the foul. Why is that always a foul on the defense? Normal shooters don't jump sideways when taking a shot. That is one thing that just bugs me.

Agree - in this case, the offensive player is the one initiating contact and should be called for the foul.

MU/Panther
04-28-2015, 01:46 PM
Expand the 3-point line to NBA length.That is a tough deep shot for college players.

IWB
04-28-2015, 01:47 PM
A parent or legal guardian cannot have anything to do with "AAU" teams. That way, donations to AAU programs, either by shoe companies or individual donors, will not end up in the hands of the parents of recruits.

Agree Gato but I don't think that would stop that. Illegal cash can be handed over. One thing it would eliminate is constant contact.

Take Team 1: Their AAU Coach is Al McGuire. During a dead period or at an AAU tourney coaches can't talk to kids or parents, but can talk to Coach McGuire.

Take Team 2: Their Coach is Hank Raymonds. Hank has 3 assistants, all who have kids on the team. During a dead period or at an AAU tourney coached can't talk to kids or parents, but they can talk to Team 2's "coaching staff". That is why you see some AAU teams with 4 coaches - chances are, 2-3 of them are parents.

In reality the only way to stop the illegal crap is by turning coaches in. Sure, coaches all know who does what, but will rarely if ever turn each other in. They should start, it is the only way to clean that aspect up.

DCwarrior
04-28-2015, 03:24 PM
That is a tough deep shot for college players.

That's why I want it changed...to de-emphasize the shot in the college game. It's become far too big a part of the game.

TheSultan
04-28-2015, 03:29 PM
That's why I want it changed...to de-emphasize the shot in the college game. It's become far too big a part of the game.

Oh I'm going to disagree with this.

The Reptile
04-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Change the shot clock to what ever is necessary to totally piss off bo ryan.

Gato78
04-28-2015, 03:43 PM
So don't make it illegal because they will just cheat? They can do that now. Like saying we should decriminalize theft because people will steal anyway. Need to define illegal conduct and if they violate and are caught then there are sanctions. Right now, it is perfectly legal to essentially pay an AAU coach whose son is on the team. If they cheat and get away with it, it is their moral compass that is askew. Right now, there is no such problem.

Agree Gato but I don't think that would stop that. Illegal cash can be handed over. One thing it would eliminate is constant contact.

MUMac
04-28-2015, 03:52 PM

I made a similar thread last year and this was my change. I would love to see this adopted.

Orlando
04-28-2015, 03:52 PM
I believe that the best answer to the ongoing block charge debate is to call less of both. I would love to see more no calls in block/charge situations and when they do make a call, the majority of the calls should be blocks. Take away the incentive to "take charges". For every 10 block/charge situations I see, I would say that probably at least 5 of them should be no calls. Out of the remaining 5, I would say at least 3-4 should be blocks. There are very few legitimate charges in the game of basketball. It would not take much to get kids to stop trying to flop and take charges. The majority of kids don't like to do it. They only do it because coaches beat it into them. If you turn the attempt to take a charge into a 90% fail rate, coaches would stop demanding that their kids do it and consequently nobody would.

On top of that stop calling fouls on kids who go straight up to block shots. Once again, I would like to see more no calls in this area. Block shots are exciting and can lead to transition basketball. Stop rewarding kids for driving to the basket out of control and flailing into the shot blocker. Now you are giving kids incentive to try and block shots instead of taking charges.

The cumulative effect of implementing both of these standards would be to reduce the number of fouls called in a game, thus creating better flow. It also gives you more latitude to clean up some of the hand checking and physical perimeter defense without turning the game into a foul fest. Kids would walk out for the jump ball committed to moving their feet, keeping their hands off the ball handlers and challenging shots, instead of taking charges and mauling the ball handlers.

Orlando
04-28-2015, 04:01 PM
I believe that the best answer to the ongoing block charge debate is to call less of both. I would love to see more no calls in block/charge situations and when they do make a call, the majority of the calls should be blocks. Take away the incentive to "take charges". For every 10 block/charge situations I see, I would say that probably at least 5 of them should be no calls. Out of the remaining 5, I would say at least 3-4 should be blocks. There are very few legitimate charges in the game of basketball. It would not take much to get kids to stop trying to flop and take charges. The majority of kids don't like to do it. They only do it because coaches beat it into them. If you turn the attempt to take a charge into a 90% fail rate, coaches would stop demanding that their kids do it and consequently nobody would.

On top of that stop calling fouls on kids who go straight up to block shots. Once again, I would like to see more no calls in this area. Block shots are exciting and can lead to transition basketball. Stop rewarding kids for driving to the basket out of control and flailing into the shot blocker. Now you are giving kids incentive to try and block shots instead of taking charges.

The cumulative effect of implementing both of these standards would be to reduce the number of fouls called in a game, thus creating better flow. It also gives you more latitude to clean up some of the hand checking and physical perimeter defense without turning the game into a foul fest. Kids would walk out for the jump ball committed to moving their feet, keeping their hands off the ball handlers and challenging shots, instead of taking charges and mauling the ball handlers.

WarriorNich
04-29-2015, 09:18 AM
Standardize reffing so the game is called consistently. The whistle needs to be a little tighter to end the clutch, grab, hack, bump defense. The game would be a foul fest for a year or two but coaches and players would eventually adjust to make for a more free flowing game.

BLT
04-29-2015, 11:09 AM
Fewer timeouts.

Give fewer team timeouts (2 per half) but take a mandatory media break for every official review (which are 2-5 per game). Prefer to watch commercials for the five minute review than Jim Burr's backside. Right now, that is total dead space and the reviews go on and on for minutes. Players and coaches are standing in a huddle, losing their sweat, not knowing the situation they face (offense or defense) after review.

Especially true when most reviews come at the end of the game when the coaches are already storing up their team timeouts. The very end of the games are dragged on and on, and the breaks in action completely ruin the flow and momentum.

MayorBeluga
04-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Prefer to watch commercials for the five minute review than Jim Burr's backside.

I'll take things that make me want to claw my eyes out for $800 please, Alex.