PDA

View Full Version : Trent Lockett Interview is up....

IWB
05-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Trent Lockett interview is up on front pages...

http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/content.php?332-ASU-s-Trent-Lockett-transfers-to-Marquette

TedBaxter
05-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Very insightful young man and will help this team with leadership on and off the floor and the comparison to Russell Wilson may not be out of line.

The one point he made that was really impressive was where he said the loss of Tony Benford to a head coaching job was kind of a positive as it shows a program trying to get it's coaches to advance and some head coaches try to hold onto the assistants and not help them advance.

MUMac
05-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Very insightful young man and will help this team with leadership on and off the floor and the comparison to Russell Wilson may not be out of line.

The one point he made that was really impressive was where he said the loss of Tony Benford to a head coaching job was kind of a positive as it shows a program trying to get it's coaches to advance and some head coaches try to hold onto the assistants and not help them advance.

Fortunately, none of the programs around here would do that. :D

Very impressed with Lockett. I agree Ted, he will help fill a void with leadership. Could not be happier that he chose MU.

mufansince72
05-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Sounds like a very impressive young man.

Goose85
05-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Could be an immediate leader much like Wilson at UW.

ziggysfryboy
05-06-2012, 06:34 PM
with his grades, any chance he could get an academic ride and keep an athletic scholly open?

IWB
05-06-2012, 06:44 PM
First off, not very likely, but he doesn't need to keep a schollie open. There are two open right now, he fills one, and he is done after this year so his spot opens up in the next class for Wilson.

MU Viking
05-06-2012, 07:03 PM
with his grades, any chance he could get an academic ride and keep an athletic scholly open?

Nope. I see this option mentioned so often by posters, but it just isn't realistic.

MUAlphaBangura
05-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Nope. I see this option mentioned so often by posters, but it just isn't realistic.

Great article Jimmy. Still waiting for ddsam's article, cuz he is so well connected you know! :)

Halo
05-07-2012, 07:22 AM
Welcome aboard Trent! Sounds like a terrific fit for MU.

And here comes the predictable outrage and attacks from UW fans on Lockette. This Lani guy is very angry always and only talks about MU and the demise of the Big East. Some life you must have to be that paranoid and insecure about your own school and team that you need to always lash out against Buzz Williams and Marquette.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=8830387&p=3

MU Viking
05-07-2012, 08:00 AM
I have to admit, my only interaction with the Badger boards the last year or so has been when posters come back and report on what outrage they are spewing over there. It makes me a lot happier a person to just ignore the idiots. I understand not everyone over here going to follow the same technique, but it has worked well for me.

Goose85
05-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Welcome aboard Trent! Sounds like a terrific fit for MU.

And here comes the predictable outrage and attacks from UW fans on Lockette. This Lani guy is very angry always and only talks about MU and the demise of the Big East. Some life you must have to be that paranoid and insecure about your own school and team that you need to always lash out against Buzz Williams and Marquette.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=8830387&p=3

For a fan base that tends to follow and comment on everything MU they sure don't know what is going on. MU had a open schollie for next season, didn't make a difference if Durley was coming or not. Lockett and Durley could both come to MU. With Durley not coming who knows, maybe Thomas gets another year on schollie.

For people that claim to know what Buzz is doing, or should I say doing wrong, they really show they don't have a clue with this one.

Can you imagine how bad it would be if they thought we were a rival (ha).

warriorfan4life
05-07-2012, 09:34 AM
We still have an open scholly for Uthoff to send them further off the deep end.

Gato78
05-07-2012, 09:38 AM
I follow this theory as well. Keeps my blood pressure normal. They can just stay in their little circle jerk and enjoy themselves. Pretty odd group of people.

I have to admit, my only interaction with the Badger boards the last year or so has been when posters come back and report on what outrage they are spewing over there. It makes me a lot happier a person to just ignore the idiots. I understand not everyone over here going to follow the same technique, but it has worked well for me.

IWB
05-07-2012, 10:35 AM
I too look at their boards like Vike, when someone sends me a link or says, "You have got to see this!"

So, I read it. Wow, some pretty venomous comments. My personal favorite is where they guy refers to Buzz as Scuzz, and says that Bo has been doing it the right way for 30 years. I don't disagree about Bo doing it right, as I have never heard anything to suggest he is dirty, but how old is a guy that feels he has to use names like "Scuzz"? Is that poster in high school? Grade school? Scuzz? why call him Scuzz? Because you "know things" or because you think you are funny? Buzz is clean. If he wasn't, MU's roster would be a lot different, I assure you. There are quite a few major recruits that Buzz could have easily landed if he was willing to go that route, but he won't.

Durley was not run off. From what I heard, MU wanted him to go to prep school for a year to help his development as it would be better for him than wasting a year of collegiate eligibility. They still would have honored his commitment the following year, but his family did not like that idea and wanted out. Why is that so horrible? Also, it had nothing to do with Durley. They knew Jones was going to leave, so it was not a move to free up a spot for Lockett. Anyone who thinks it was has no idea what is going on with Marquette basketball.

I won't claim to know what happened with Markolf, because I don't. However, they brought Gavinski into the discussion as evidence that Bo won't run players off. One of the biggest Badger insiders at the time told me that they wanted to cut ties before he ever arrived at UW, but it was not an option because he was a local kid and that would be a PR nightmare, and Bo didn't want to deal with the negative fallout. If he would have been from out of state somewhere he would not have been there at all. Again, that is what I was told. Had spoken to JP a few times and he is a great kid. Loved being at UW and being part of the program. Still loves hoops and is trying to get to where he can play professionally whether it is the CBA level or overseas.

CaribouJim
05-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Question. Seeing that he will be a grad student, does his GPA still get factored into the teams and if so is it weighted in any way see it is grad school? Just curious.

IWB
05-07-2012, 10:49 AM
It probably would, but I don't think that means anything. On the academic side are being judged as individuals through their % towards a degree and personal GPA.

CaribouJim
05-08-2012, 10:25 AM
It probably would, but I don't think that means anything. On the academic side are being judged as individuals through their % towards a degree and personal GPA.

And another one for you - seeing that he is going for a post graduate degree and assuming that he will take more than one year to complete does the scholarship cover him until he gets it assuming he finishes within a certain window or just the upcoming '12 - '13 school year?

unclejohn
05-08-2012, 11:57 AM
And another one for you - seeing that he is going for a post graduate degree and assuming that he will take more than one year to complete does the scholarship cover him until he gets it assuming he finishes within a certain window or just the upcoming '12 - '13 school year?

Most of the players who have gotten post-graduate degrees in recent years got them in one year. Barone and Kinsella come to mind. Picking up a masters in one year is not that difficult.