PDA

View Full Version : Final 4

Nukem2
04-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Duke starting with some shoddy defense Those MSU 3's have been wide open.....

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-04-2015, 05:38 PM
smart move by izzo to sit narin - was turning into a derrick Wilson type of 4 vs 5 the way Tyus Jones was sagging off of Narin essentially playing a 1 man zone

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Duke just dominating. 22-6 run after that hot start from three by Sparty.

04-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Really want that Duke/Kentucky final. Would be an incredibly fun game from the neutral perspective.

IrwinFletcher
04-04-2015, 05:47 PM
Really want that Duke/Kentucky final. Would be an incredibly fun game from the neutral perspective.

You and CBS want that.

kneelb4zerg
04-04-2015, 06:16 PM
You and CBS want that.

Marquette fans should want it.

04-04-2015, 06:24 PM
You and CBS want that.

That was my preseason prediction, and when asked in November if I'd take Duke & Kentucky or the field to win the title, I said Duke/UK. Fully believe it's the best possible matchup.

kneelb4zerg
04-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Interesting to think if we would have hired Wojo if not for Duke's early exit last year.

04-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Excellent point. Had they went to the Final Four, we'd probably have a different coach. Wonder whom, as I don't feel Howland or Martin were ever going to get the post.

MUMac
04-04-2015, 07:12 PM
You and CBS want that.

You, CBS and any Marquette fan who lives in Madison want that.

TheSultan
04-04-2015, 07:18 PM
This game is really dull.

Nukem2
04-04-2015, 07:21 PM
This game is really dull.
Obviously, Duke is better. What happens when an 8 seed sneaks through.

MUMac
04-04-2015, 07:27 PM
That was my preseason prediction, and when asked in November if I'd take Duke & Kentucky or the field to win the title, I said Duke/UK. Fully believe it's the best possible matchup.

I agree. I said at the beginning of the year that the best 3 teams were Kentucky, Duke and Kentucky's 2nd 5 (not necessarily in that order).

Markedman
04-04-2015, 07:28 PM
7 seed actually......not sure the seed has much to do with it.....UCONN won it last year as a 7 IIRC

Duke just played great.....better team plays great it can get away in a hurry......

Nukem2
04-04-2015, 07:30 PM
7 seed actually......not sure the seed has much to do with it.....UCONN won it last year as a 7 IIRC

Duke just played great.....better team plays great it can get away in a hurry......A lower seed in any event. UConnwas an anomaly.....

MUMac
04-04-2015, 07:32 PM
A lower seed in any event. UConnwas an anomaly.....

Not necessarily. Al's '77 team was the last one in ... Many, many others.

MSU was inconsistent this year. Played well early, middle a bit down, finished strong. The middling MSU team showed up today.

Nukem2
04-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Not necessarily. Al's '77 team was the last one in ... Many, many others.

MSU was inconsistent this year. Played well early, middle a bit down, finished strong. The middling MSU team showed up today.
Nope. MU was 1 or 2 in all the AP, UPI, BW, etc. pre-season polls. The season was affected by Al's announcement inDecember and his silly playing of Neary. UConn was no where near all of that. MU simply righted it's ship. That was a very good team. UConn rode the stellar play of Napier. That was an anomaly.

MUMac
04-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Nope. MU was 1 or 2 in all the AP, UPI, BW, etc. pre-season polls. The season was affected by Al's announcement inDecember and his silly playing of Neary. UConn was no where near all of that. MU simply righted it's ship. That was a very good team. UConn rode the stellar play of Napier. That was an anomaly.

MU was still the last team in, so how can you dispute that? At Michigan, Al changed his suit for the first time in many games (I forget the number), as he found out they were in. So YES, they were the last team in. I know what they were rated at the beginning of the year. What was MSU rated at the beginning of the year? Does it matter? No, what matters is the end of the year and in '77, MU was not a favorite to win it. Many felt if it were not Al's swan song, that they may not have made it. In '77, MU had the most number of losses of any NCAA Champion to date. So, how does "no" apply to my previous post?

In fact, my analysis of MSU in my prior post would apply to MU in '77 as well.

BTW, UCONN was 18th rated in the preseason last year. Again, preseason matters to no one.

TheSultan
04-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Are we sure that Marquette was the last team in? I have seen that on Marquette boards, but haven't really seen it anywhere else.

Nukem2
04-04-2015, 08:01 PM
MU was still the last team in, so how can you dispute that? At Michigan, Al changed his suit for the first time in many games (I forget the number), as he found out they were in. So YES, they were the last team in. I know what they were rated at the beginning of the year. What was MSU rated at the beginning of the year? Does it matter? No, what matters is the end of the year and in '77, MU was not a favorite to win it. Many felt if it were not Al's swan song, that they may not have made it. In fact, my analysis of MSU in my prior post would apply to MU in '77 as well.

BTW, UCONN was 18th rated in the preseason last year. Again, preseason matters to no one.
Point is that MU should never have been the last team in. Al put so much pressure on that team by his announcement and his silly use of Neary. In the end, that MU team did what the prognosticators said in the pre-season an what those of us that lived through it saw. Don't mean to be argumentative, but that team endedup doing what it should have. Last year's UConn team was simply an anomaly in the the scheme of things. MU 1977 was eons superior to UConn last year.

MUMac
04-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Are we sure that Marquette was the last team in? I have seen that on Marquette boards, but haven't really seen it anywhere else.

It was reported at the time. The NCAA did not release information as they do now, but it was definitely in question if MU would get in. MU played a nationally televised game at Michigan (which national games were bigger then - pre-cable). Al did not expect to get in and after MU lost to Wichita State (I believe), Al said he would not change his suit until they lost again. At halftime of the Michigan game, Al changed suits, as he learned MU was in.

Were they last, definitively? I can't really say. But it is more than likely.

04-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Can't see Wisconsin continuing to play at this pace.

MUMac
04-04-2015, 08:13 PM
First break, a heck of a game in the making (yes, that can change). Kentucky, though, a little stagnant in the half court. UW more active. Decker continuing his drive to the NBA ...

MUMac
04-04-2015, 08:15 PM
Can't see Wisconsin continuing to play at this pace.

Kentucky's half court set is a lot of standing still ... they need to make UW work on D. Have not done that, thus far.

Pace works for UW. They can play at this pace. They have. Especially in the tournament.

Nukem2
04-04-2015, 08:15 PM
It was reported at the time. The NCAA did not release information as they do now, but it was definitely in question if MU would get in. MU played a nationally televised game at Michigan (which national games were bigger then - pre-cable). Al did not expect to get in and after MU lost to Wichita State (I believe), Al said he would not change his suit until they lost again. At halftime of the Michigan game, Al changed suits, as he learned MU was in.

Were they last, definitively? I can't really say. But it is more than likely.So what. They were in and always should have been in. That was a very good team as it obviously proved. I lived through it and saw a lot of it in person. UConn last year was light years away.

MUMac
04-04-2015, 08:17 PM
So what. They were in and always should have been in. That was a very good team as it obviously proved. I lived through it and saw a lot of it in person. UConn last year was light years away.

ok, you win :mad:

I lived through it as well. What did I state that was wrong? I give up. :mad::mad:

And now you are being argumentative. And for what purpose? Damn, you are one difficult poster to discuss things with. Back to ignoring, I guess ..

Mucrisco
04-04-2015, 08:22 PM
How did the ref miss that Koenig was out of bounds? Seems like an easy call to make when there wasn't anything else to watch in that instant. Maybe the ref was already running down the floor...

Nukem2
04-04-2015, 08:26 PM
ok, you win :mad:

I lived through it as well. What did I state that was wrong? I give up. :mad::mad:

And now you are being argumentative. And for what purpose? Damn, you are one difficult poster to discuss things with. Back to ignoring, I guess ..
I think you need to look in the mirror. Come on, that was a very good MU team that was sidetracked by Al's issues. Any comparison to last year's UConn is simply silly. Yeah, I get the stuff about being last in or a low seed...though there were far fewer teams in the field then. Your logic is just off my friend. UConn would never have gotten into the NCAAs with its resume back then. Peace.

Mucrisco
04-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Kentucky can't score on their defense. This might be a long night, especially if this is a half court game. If Wisconsin takes care of the ball, which they always do, Wisconsin is going to win this easily.

Mucrisco
04-04-2015, 08:31 PM
I think it's time for some adult beverages.

MUMac
04-04-2015, 08:36 PM
I think it's time for some adult beverages.

Not quite yet, but the game plan is trending that way ...

Halo
04-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Once again, amazed to see how many dumb shots teams take vs. Wisconsin. Do these guys scout them? There is a reason you are wide open just inside of the 3 point line, but outside of the paint. Go ahead and chuck it up.

russguss
04-04-2015, 09:14 PM
Makers Mark going down well.. Gotta do the Bourbon for a Kentucky W... Time for UK to take Kaminsky to the hoop and foul trouble...:cool:

MUMac
04-04-2015, 09:27 PM
Makers Mark going down well.. Gotta do the Bourbon for a Kentucky W... Time for UK to take Kaminsky to the hoop and foul trouble...:cool:

I am not a whiskey or bourbon guy, but if it helps ... either way ...

Mucrisco
04-04-2015, 09:32 PM
I turned on the Bucks game.

04-04-2015, 09:36 PM

I don't think the refs will put any Badgers in foul trouble. Last weekend, UW got their first taste of even reffing. This weekend, not so much.

kneelb4zerg
04-04-2015, 09:36 PM
Make it stop please.

MUMac
04-04-2015, 10:04 PM

Kentucky can't produce enough Bourbon for me right now.

MUMac
04-04-2015, 10:15 PM
That is one damn mentally tough team.

Gato78
04-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Calipari with a complete 2nd half brain fart. Their offense broke down and he did nothing to change.

MUMac
04-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Calipari with a complete 2nd half brain fart. Their offense broke down and he did nothing to change.

Holding for a rushed shot to beat the shot clock the last 4 minutes was truly perplexing. Especially against the badgers, who play good late D and have so many that can hit the 3.

TheSultan
04-04-2015, 10:20 PM
That is one damn mentally tough team.

Ayup. If we didn't hate them, we'd like them.

kneelb4zerg
04-04-2015, 10:26 PM

No.

Hayes' layup that should have been disallowed was the difference

MUBasketball
04-04-2015, 10:26 PM
What did I tell ya? This team is winning it all. Damn impressive club. Play great basketball.

Now, please go pro Dekker. :)

TheSultan
04-04-2015, 10:29 PM
No.

Hayes' layup that should have been disallowed was the difference

Bad calls went both ways. Gasser's charge was garbage. And that was clearly a flagrant. Hayes charge was questionable too.

kneelb4zerg
04-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Bad calls went both ways. Gasser's charge was garbage. And that was clearly a flagrant. Hayes charge was questionable too.

Well enjoy the Badger win then.

Markedman
04-04-2015, 10:37 PM
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 7m7 minutes ago
Wisconsin: outrebounded Kentucky 34-22

MUBasketball
04-04-2015, 10:39 PM
Well enjoy the Badger win then.

Sultan was giving an honest evaluation.

This sucks, especially with how crappy the past two seasons have gone. But, we should appreciate greatness. This Wisconsin team is great.

Markedman
04-04-2015, 10:41 PM
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 44s44 seconds ago
Sam Dekker was a 30% shooter from 3-point range prior to the NCAA Tournament

In the tournament, he's 15-of-30 from 3-pt range

04-04-2015, 10:43 PM

I would always have a hard time liking a team that pisses and whines as much as they do. Honestly, it's probably my biggest knock on Wojo.

mufan2003
04-04-2015, 10:53 PM
Well, if Duke and Wisconsin are close with 5 minutes to play, maybe Coach K will make sure Okafor gets the ball in the post unlike Calipari with Towns.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-04-2015, 10:54 PM
I would always have a hard time liking a team that pisses and whines as much as they do. Honestly, it's probably my biggest knock on Wojo.

Agree with you as I've brought this up before as well.

TheSultan
04-04-2015, 10:56 PM
Well, if Duke and Wisconsin are close with 5 minutes to play, maybe Coach K will make sure Okafor gets the ball in the post unlike Calipari with Towns.

Duke has a better outside game than UK too.

2012Warrior
04-04-2015, 11:00 PM
Kentucky wasn't that good of an offensive team this year. They were an all-time great defensive team. However, they ran into an all-time great offense (both based on Pomeroy). I think Duke is much more potent offensively. Their defense has been better in the tournament. I think the final is a toss up.

Halo
04-04-2015, 11:07 PM
Badgers with a terrific effort. They earned it and congrats to them. I am not sure if Duke can beat them. The blown call on the hit to Gasser's face was a miss by the ref as was the shot clock one. Call it even. Gasser certainly charged on that I thought on the drive and kick. How often have we seen the Badgers be on the positive end on that one? Ultimately, non of the calls mattered. What mattered was rebounding and shoddy switching by Kentucky. If Kentucky wants to complain about the blown Hayes shot clock violation, how about one of their four players staring at the ball as it lands and bounces out of bounds grab it before that play became an issue? That summed up Kentucky vs Wisconsin. Doubtful 4 of Bo's players would do that. Grab the ball.

04-04-2015, 11:12 PM
Badgers get called for 6 fewer fouls, shoot twice as many free throws, benefit from 4 points on 2 blatant blown calls, and their fans feel the refs screwed them. Man has Bo's bitching permeated that fanbase.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-04-2015, 11:13 PM
I don't think I can handle UW winning a national title. I may have to shut myself off from all forms of media for awhile to avoid all the garbage that will come about how great they are... Thank god I moved to Houston where nobody cares about college basketball.

Halo
04-04-2015, 11:15 PM
would love to see a shot chart of this game. How many shots did Kentucky take outside of the paint, but not a 3 vs. Wisconsin? Unlike Coach Cal, I think Coach K understands this strategy by Wisconsin and will prepare his team to not take the fools gold. UW's defense was terrific. Frank just raised his arms up at times. What do you expect the refs to call? Dekker took the ball hard to the hole. Jackson was a huge difference attacking.

Halo
04-04-2015, 11:17 PM
I don't think I can handle UW winning a national title. I may have to shut myself off from all forms of media for awhile to avoid all the garbage that will come about how great they are... Thank god I moved to Houston where nobody cares about college basketball.

Yes, just shut it off for awhile. Like a Bears fan has to when the Packers make their run. Not easy, but life moves on.

Halo
04-04-2015, 11:21 PM
This Wisconsin team reminds me of Gary Williams team at Maryland. Williams was old school like Bo, had some very good teams with not a huge group of superstars and finally walked away after all of the AAU BS was going on. We'll see if they can close like Maryland.

warriorfan4life
04-04-2015, 11:24 PM
Yes, just shut it off for awhile. Like a Bears fan has to when the Packers make their run. Not easy, but life moves on.

I'm a Bears fan that has far more respect for the Packers then I ever could that evil team in Madison. Duke basically controlled the first match-up, and has the shooters to spread the floor that will make Wisconsin pay for packing in the lane. Still cannot believe that Cal kept his two best perimeter shooters on the bench down the stretch and gave Bucky carte blanche to pack the lane in.

79warrior
04-05-2015, 12:33 AM

This sucks, especially with how crappy the past two seasons have gone. But, we should appreciate greatness. This Wisconsin team is great.

Yep. Some people need to man up. They are an excellent team. Quite honestly, I am glad they took UK down.

MUMac
04-05-2015, 05:49 AM

Agree. As difficult as it is with the insufferable badger fans, and some of the badger players, this is one damn good team. That was also a hell of a game to watch in the Final 4.

DCwarrior
04-05-2015, 05:59 AM
Hopefully Bo can retire now

ValiantSailor
04-05-2015, 06:51 AM
I despise everything about Kentucky basketball...from Rupp's undisguised racism...to the leaking cash in a Fedex envelope...to Calipari's history of rule-breaking. I'm delighted they lost.

VS

04-05-2015, 07:00 AM
I'm not a Kentucky fan but them winning is something that just happens, and I don't deal with UK fans every single day. If UW-Madison wins, this will be the only thing their fans talk about for the next 20 years.

TheSultan
04-05-2015, 07:07 AM
I'm not a Kentucky fan but them winning is something that just happens, and I don't deal with UK fans every single day. If UW-Madison wins, this will be the only thing their fans talk about for the next 20 years.

I hear ya there...

Nukem2
04-05-2015, 07:18 AM
Agree. As difficult as it is with the insufferable badger fans, and some of the badger players, this is one damn good team. That was also a hell of a game to watch in the Final 4.
Yep. Hard to argue with success.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-05-2015, 08:49 AM
I hear ya there...

I think that is the point here for me, the team doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fans do... If the fans weren't such tools I wouldn't be bothered at all, and probably would root for them over Duke and certainly UK... But from my perspective, if Duke wins tomorrow i likely won't hear about it again... If wisconsin wins it will be something that is talked about non stop forever

04-05-2015, 09:05 AM
There are so many fans in this state that will bash Marquette constantly but don't watch Bucky until the Sweet 16. The UW-Milwaukee grads that have no idea who Matt Tiby is but root for Bucky and against Marquette. I know a ton of those fans that will never let MU fans forget a Badger title, and are even more annoying because the only discussion they can have is "troll-luh-la-luh-la I can't hear you."

MUfan12
04-05-2015, 09:24 AM
If UW-Madison wins, this will be the only thing their fans talk about for the next 20 years.

Until football starts. Their fanbase for hoops is around for a month.

04-05-2015, 09:33 AM

Every time basketball comes up, that will be their entire discussion. Because even in bowl season, they can still say "we won the title in '15" and feel any argument is decided.

MU/Panther
04-05-2015, 11:15 AM
The Wisconsin/Kentucky NCAA Tournament Final Four game earned a 13.3 overnight rating on TBS, TNT and TruTV Saturday night, up 48% from Kentucky/Wisconsin last year (9.0), up 30% from Michigan/Syracuse on CBS in 2013 (10.2), and the highest overnight for a national semifinal since 1993 (13.8).

The 13.3 overnight is easily the highest ever for a non-football sporting event on cable, topping the previous high of 9.6 for last year’s Belgium/USA World Cup match on ESPN. The previous high for a basketball game on cable was a 9.1 for Game 7 of the 2013 NBA Eastern Conference Finals, also on ESPN.

Compared to other sports, the 13.3 topped every game of last year’s NBA Finals (ABC) and six of last year’s seven World Series games (FOX) (Game 7 had a 15.2). It was no match, however, for the comparable semifinals of the College Football Playoff — which earned overnights of 15.5 and 15.3 on ESPN.

Saturday’s overnight peaked at a 16.4 from 10-10:15 PM CT

Mucrisco
04-05-2015, 12:52 PM

Unfortunately for me, this isn't the case. I wouldn't mind so much if they were talking about football. It's basketball non stop. it will get worse now because people that don't even know much about basketball or didn't even follow the team much talk smack to me. Oh well. For my nieces and nephews, they are having a good time with it. They're growing up Badger fans though.

Djgoldnboy
04-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Badgers get called for 6 fewer fouls, shoot twice as many free throws, benefit from 4 points on 2 blatant blown calls, and their fans feel the refs screwed them. Man has Bo's bitching permeated that fanbase.

This right here.....their fans were whining all over facebook last night about calls, I honestly thought they were watching a different game. Not to mention how many times Frank or Dekker lead their drives with an forearm or elbow that NEVER gets called.

Mucrisco
04-05-2015, 01:23 PM
This right here.....their fans were whining all over facebook last night about calls, I honestly thought they were watching a different game. Not to mention how many times Frank or Dekker lead their drives with an forearm or elbow that NEVER gets called.

I was saying that same exact thing. Koenig does that too. Finally, Hayes got called for that.

Halo
04-05-2015, 02:20 PM
It's good coaching by Bo. He teaches his guys to do the little things like that that are in the gray area and tough for the refs to call. Like a WR or DB on a pass play-push a bit with your forearm to get a little space and leverage, but don't extend the arm out as the refs will call that. Same with boxing out. It's really remarkable watching them box out on the defensive side protecting no offensive rebounds.

milkbone
04-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Jeff Goodman retweeted

Bonnie Bernstein @BonnieBernstein
· 1h 1 hour ago
Spoke w John Calipari. There will be no discipline for Andrew Harrison's Kaminsky comment at UK-Wisc postgm presser. Intrvw up soon

IrwinFletcher
04-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Kaminsky and Hayes both use the wrap with their arms on the low post, but they don't use their whole arm, just up to the elbow. The use it very well and never ever get called for it.

04-05-2015, 03:38 PM
Jeff Goodman retweeted

Bonnie Bernstein @BonnieBernstein
· 1h 1 hour ago
Spoke w John Calipari. There will be no discipline for Andrew Harrison's Kaminsky comment at UK-Wisc postgm presser. Intrvw up soon

No surprise, how do you punish a kid who played his last game?

Halo
04-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Kaminsky and Hayes both use the wrap with their arms on the low post, but they don't use their whole arm, just up to the elbow. The use it very well and never ever get called for it.

Correct. They chicken wing ever time, just enough to get them to the baseline. Won't get called because not obvious enough. They hook with their elbow and it creates the split second they need.