PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Jerel

Markedman
03-31-2015, 07:12 PM
@HoopsRumors: Suns To Sign Jerel McNeal, To Release A.J.*Price http://t.co/8DaulMu1gM

IrwinFletcher
03-31-2015, 07:54 PM
Wow. Who would have thunk he would have made it back before Vander. Congrats to Jerel!

AlexJesswein
03-31-2015, 08:14 PM
Jerel finally gets payback for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuxksJ8v4Ls

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-31-2015, 08:20 PM
Jerel finally gets payback for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuxksJ8v4Ls

wowzers, I didn't remember that. dirty move

Goose85
03-31-2015, 09:47 PM
IWB, are you off to Phoenix?

Mucrisco
03-31-2015, 11:57 PM
IWB is going out of town?

AlexJesswein
04-01-2015, 06:49 AM
Some old story about being in Jerel's posse if he makes the NBA

Goose85
04-03-2015, 09:14 AM
Congrats to Jerel who played 3 min for Phoenix last night and put two points on the board.

While Jerel has been on NBA rosters before with various 10 day contracts, this might be the first time he has gotten into a game and scored in the NBA.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-03-2015, 09:20 AM
It was his playing debut ;)

Mark Miller
04-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Jerel has persevered and has finally made it. Great for him.

I remember watching him for the first time at the Proviso West Tournament his senior year. That's 11 years ago already. He played a terrific game in that event.

CaribouJim
04-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Jerel has persevered and has finally made it. Great for him.

I remember watching him for the first time at the Proviso West Tournament his senior year. That's 11 years ago already. He played a terrific game in that event.

I was there as well Mark with a couple MU brothers and some MU buddies - Maurice Aker had a very good game as well IIRC - at least the game I was at. One of the biggest takeaways I remember was that Jerel didn't sweat.

Phantom Warrior
04-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Jerel was my favorite MU player his four years in the program. DJ came in with greater hype, and Wesley was the in-state kid, and both were terrific players, but there was something about Jerel that just made me pull for him from Day 1.

I still have the video of the Chicago-New York All-Star game following Jerel's senior year of high school, and I knew right then he was special. Little did I know, though, that he would end up second team A-A.

A 10-day contract doesn't mean all that much, but it's better than no 10-day contract.

IrwinFletcher
04-03-2015, 02:09 PM
Out of curiosity, how much is a 10-day contract worth?

IWB
04-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Technically a 10 day contract can be for whatever you want to pay. Reality... there is a formula based on your tenure in the league. The longer you have been in the league, the more it is. For guys like Jerel, he has only been on 10 day contracts, never really "in the league", so it goes like this....

1/170th of the league minimum salary per day. Minimum salary is $507,336. So, $29,843. Not bad for 10 days of work.

Here is the best part.... He signed on April 1. Their season ends on April 14. So, will they sign someone else for 4 days? In all likelihood, Jerel will get a second 10 day contract. With the four additional days he should make another $11-12k. Should they pull off some wins coupled with some losses, he could end up with some playoff money, but doubtful.

Same goes for Buycks, but since Buycks had an actual year in the league, he may get a bit more.

treyschwab
04-03-2015, 03:55 PM
Don't underestimate the fact that Jerry Sichting is an assistant coach for the Suns and knows Jerel from his time here. Plus, many teams will sign players to 10 day contracts at this time of the season so that they can get an early look at them and even get them under contract for the summer and potentially for training camp next fall. Good deal for Jerel on several fronts.

IrwinFletcher
04-03-2015, 07:34 PM
Technically a 10 day contract can be for whatever you want to pay. Reality... there is a formula based on your tenure in the league. The longer you have been in the league, the more it is. For guys like Jerel, he has only been on 10 day contracts, never really "in the league", so it goes like this....

1/170th of the league minimum salary per day. Minimum salary is $507,336. So, $29,843. Not bad for 10 days of work.

Here is the best part.... He signed on April 1. Their season ends on April 14. So, will they sign someone else for 4 days? In all likelihood, Jerel will get a second 10 day contract. With the four additional days he should make another $11-12k. Should they pull off some wins coupled with some losses, he could end up with some playoff money, but doubtful.

Same goes for Buycks, but since Buycks had an actual year in the league, he may get a bit more.

That is about as much as you might make in a year in the D League.

Markedman
04-03-2015, 08:58 PM
That is about as much as you might make in a year in the D League.
I was thinking the same thing Irwin.....