PDA

View Full Version : Chris Mullin new St.John's HC

MU/Panther
03-29-2015, 08:24 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25128090/chris-mullin-offered-st-johns-job-expected-to-accept

Sources say it's highly unlikely that Rysheed Jordan and Chris Obekpa -- two players who started this year for the Red Storm -- will wind up returning next season.

MU/Panther
03-29-2015, 08:25 PM
Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille 2h2 hours ago
Source says #sjubb pledge Sammy Barnes-Thompkins remains committed to program. Wants to see who they hire.
12 retweets 12 favorites
Reply Retweet12

Retweeted 43 times
Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille 1h1 hour ago Kansas, USA
Top recruit Brandon Sampson is "intrigued" by potential hire of Chris Mullin by #sjubb, wants to sit down with him when official, per source

Mucrisco
03-29-2015, 09:43 PM
I wrote this on the insider board too but personally, I like the Mullin hire. Probably the biggest trait that you need as a coach is competitiveness. Mullin had crazy work ethic. He would shoot 2,000 shots before breakfast. The guy signed with St John's and celebrated by getting in the gym and shooting 2,000 shots. I think he got the most out of his body. Plus, St John's would probably be his final destination. He played in the league for a long time too. Unlike college coaches, NBA guys don't like to share information. So, he probably understand more about basketball that most people. Can he recruit? Will he be a good game coach? Can he develop talent? Those are big question marks but I'm interested to see what he will do in that job.

AbovetheRim
03-29-2015, 09:53 PM
http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2015/03/chris_mullin_to_st_johns_is_an_awful_hire_and_a_bu .html

Completely disagree with this take. Mullin is a Hall of Famer, an original Dream Team guy, a big time name for the league, and a name with serious NBA connections. He'll get recruits on that alone. Can he coach? I believe he'll figure it out. Stay tuned.

warriorfan4life
03-29-2015, 10:13 PM
http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2015/03/chris_mullin_to_st_johns_is_an_awful_hire_and_a_bu .html

Completely disagree with this take. Mullin is a Hall of Famer, an original Dream Team guy, a big time name for the league, and a name with serious NBA connections. He'll get recruits on that alone. Can he coach? I believe he'll figure it out. Stay tuned.

From what I understand, most people in the NY/NJ area believe Piloti to be their Woelfel.

TheSultan
03-30-2015, 08:38 AM

I will point out that none of this helped Clyde Drexler at Houston.

Goose85
03-30-2015, 08:48 AM

I don't think Clyde realized how hard you had to work to be successful in the college game.

Mullin could be a home run for St. Johns if he surrounds himself with the right people and is ready to put the time and effort into recruiting.
St. John's needs a big splash, and bringing back a legend could be what they need. The roster no longer includes NY and NJ kids, and somehow they need to change that dynamic.

Can Mullin be the guy to attract some top recruits with a well connected recruiting staff? I don't know, but he is a name hire which is nice for the league.
If Mullin accepts the job, which fan base do you think will be happier with their coach, St. John's or DePaul?

KMWTRUCKS
03-30-2015, 09:13 AM
I think its solid higher. I'm not sure anybody would argue that Clyde was the face of the houston team compared to Mullin was the face of St John. Having as good a career as Mullin did as physically challenged as he was means he must really understand the game. St John plays at MSG and has allot of history, houston had one good season because they recruited Hakeem. considering who they could get I think its a good higher. Same thoughts on WOJO but its not a shaka type hire.

IWB
03-30-2015, 09:35 AM
I remember the first time I saw Drexler coach for Houston. He stood leaning against the scorers' table, legs crossed, arms folded, the entire game. No emotion, never shouted instructions, never worked the refs, never spoke to players, nothing. It was as if he expected them to win just because he was there. You really don't realize how much coaches do during a game because you focus on the players, until you see a guy like Drexler and it literally jumps out at you that the guy was not involved at all.

CaribouJim
03-30-2015, 09:44 AM
I think its solid higher. I'm not sure anybody would argue that Clyde was the face of the houston team compared to Mullin was the face of St John. Having as good a career as Mullin did as physically challenged as he was means he must really understand the game. St John plays at MSG and has allot of history, houston had one good season because they recruited Hakeem. considering who they could get I think its a good higher. Same thoughts on WOJO but its not a shaka type hire.

Houston was in the FF all three of Hakeem's seasons at Houston including runner-up the last 2 years. Clyde overlapped with him the first two years.

I don't know if I would call Mullin "physically challenged" - he had size and was fairly quick...maybe not a leaper or a speed demon, but not a stiff athletically IMO.

TheSultan
03-30-2015, 09:51 AM

Houston went to three Final Fours in a row with Hakeem (Clyde wasn't on the last one when they lost to Georgetown.) Clyde (and Larry Micheaux, Michael Young and Ricky Winslow - Justice's dad) were all from Houston and were just as much the face of Phi Slama Jama as Hakeem.

That 1983 semifinal versus Milt Wagner and Rodney McCray's Louisville team was something. Up and down the floor, above the rim. Completely overshadowed by the upset by NC State in the Championship Game two days later.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=jamfest83

MU88
03-30-2015, 09:55 AM
Drexler could recruit, he just couldn't coach. Mullin hire is odd, but maybe it will work out. He needs to build a strong staff. It worked for Hoiberg at Iowa State.

Goose85
03-30-2015, 10:00 AM
It's been awhile, but I thought Drexler's undoing at Houston was that he did not want to put the work in necessary to build a program. I think he just assumed kids would come there because he was the coach, and that didn't happen.

The life of a college coach is a grind, and you are constantly chasing 16 and 17 year old kids. For Mullin to be successful, I hope he has a couple of real good and tireless recruiters on his staff, because while Mullin may be a draw to some kids, you still have to have a staff that is putting in the work to get St. John's in the picture.

Hi I'm St. John's star, NBA star, and original dream team member Chris Mullin. I want you to come to St. Johns.
Nice to meet you coach, but I also just talked to Coach K, Coach Cal, Coach Self, Coach Izzo, Coach Donovan, and Coach Williams - they all put kids in the NBA every year. Why should I play for you? My guess is Drexler didn't have an answer, I hope Mullin does.

Mucrisco
03-30-2015, 10:35 AM

Again, Mullin had crazy work ethic. Compare how Mullin could shoot with Drexler. Mullin maximized his talent. Of course his height and quickness helped him. That's why he's in the hall of fame. But there is a reason why people can shoot like that. It's not God given talent. It's thousands of shots per day.

Mucrisco
03-30-2015, 10:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE9Tblkh1HI

Interesting video.

CaribouJim
03-30-2015, 10:45 AM
Reggie Miller on Dan Patrick Show right now and is over the moon on Mullin as a SJU hire - says he still carries a lot of gravitas in the Northeast.

MUBasketball
03-30-2015, 11:15 AM
Per this article, Mullin might hire P.J. Carlesimo as an assistant coach. If he can round out his staff with big-time recruiters, this could be a grand slam.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/basketball/mullin-st-john-s-have-framework-for-deal-1.1298779

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Carlesimo and Rohrrsen would be one heck of a start.

MU/Panther
03-31-2015, 12:01 PM
@jeffborzello: Iowa State assistant Matt Abdelmassih will join Chris Mullin's staff at St. John's, sources told ESPN. Has been big with transfers.

Goose85
04-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Mullin already at work. If he can get Diallo and keep some NY talent from leaving the city / state and go to St. John's, all will be good.

http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/chris-mullin-already-reaching-out-to-high-school-coaches/

http://zagsblog.com/st-johns/chris-mullin-nabs-ace-recruiter-from-iowa-state/

MUBasketball
04-01-2015, 12:34 PM
I think it's safe to say this will get St. John's in the door with some big recruits:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stjo/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/MullinPDF.pdf

Halo
04-01-2015, 12:48 PM
Press conference on now on FS1. They are fired up.

Goose85
04-02-2015, 08:48 AM
The more I read, the more I'm excited for St. John's.
If Mullin can pull in a few top guys in his first couple years, I really think he will be lights out.

The conference needs a strong St. John's, and it would be nice if a ranked St. John's team would help fill the Garden for the conference tourney too.

Some more from Zagsblog.

http://zagsblog.com/st-johns/chris-obekpa-meets-chris-mullin-may-apologize-for-suspension/#more-132258

http://zagsblog.com/articles/chris-mullin-wins-opening-press-conference-now-must-get-cracking-recruiting/

IrwinFletcher
04-02-2015, 09:32 AM
On a somewhat related note, Chris Mack signed a 1 year extension through the '21 season. That is good news as there were reports that things were not good between him and the Admin at X.

79warrior
04-02-2015, 10:50 AM
The more I read, the more I'm excited for St. John's.
If Mullin can pull in a few top guys in his first couple years, I really think he will be lights out.

The conference needs a strong St. John's, and it would be nice if a ranked St. John's team would help fill the Garden for the conference tourney too.

Some more from Zagsblog.

http://zagsblog.com/st-johns/chris-obekpa-meets-chris-mullin-may-apologize-for-suspension/#more-132258

http://zagsblog.com/articles/chris-mullin-wins-opening-press-conference-now-must-get-cracking-recruiting/

I think you are correct. The hiring generated more publicity nationally for SJU than they have had in a very long time. ESPN showed parts of his introduction. Lots of excitement in the NY area as he was a very popular player.
SJU has a guy who, if successful, will not leave.

CaribouJim
04-02-2015, 11:16 AM
I think you are correct. The hiring generated more publicity nationally for SJU than they have had in a very long time. ESPN showed parts of his introduction. Lots of excitement in the NY area as he was a very popular player.
SJU has a guy who, if successful, will not leave.

I've done a 180 (or a 360 as many incorrectly say) on this hire. Really wish DePaul didn't go the milquetoast route with their hire - missed opportunity to make some noise in a positive way.

Goose85
04-02-2015, 11:35 AM
I've done a 180 (or a 360 as many incorrectly say) on this hire. Really wish DePaul didn't go the milquetoast route with their hire - missed opportunity to make some noise in a positive way.

I agree Caribou, look at the buzz St. John's created. Already has some top recruits taking notice. People are genuinely excited.
DePaul, on the other hand, created the opposite with their hire. Seems nobody is excited and nobody has taken notice. No buzz, no juice, no excitement.

But as someone said, every conference needs a doormat, and DePaul is doing a fine job playing that role on a consistent basis.

04-02-2015, 12:04 PM
I agree Caribou, look at the buzz St. John's created. Already has some top recruits taking notice. People are genuinely excited.
DePaul, on the other hand, created the opposite with their hire. Seems nobody is excited and nobody has taken notice. No buzz, no juice, no excitement.

But as someone said, every conference needs a doormat, and DePaul is doing a fine job playing that role on a consistent basis.

Oh, people have taken notice, just more in a pointing and laughing kind of way.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-02-2015, 01:31 PM
the key for SJU is going to be to get off to a hot start recruiting... if they can ride this momentum they will be good, but if they get off to just a so-so start it will not be good for them. Will be interesting to see who he fills the staff with.

04-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Landing Cheick Diallo and Rawle Alkins would certainly make a recruiting statement.

mufan2003
04-02-2015, 03:22 PM
Loved Mullin in Golden State when it was "Run TMC." Tim Hardaway, Mullin and Chris Webber. That was an entertaining team to watch.

Mucrisco
04-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Loved Mullin in Golden State when it was "Run TMC." Tim Hardaway, Mullin and Chris Webber. That was an entertaining team to watch.
?
Wasn't it Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, and Chris Mullin?

mufan2003
04-02-2015, 03:40 PM
?
Wasn't it Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, and Chris Mullin?

LOL. You are right, brain cramp on my part! Chris Webber did play for Golden State, but was not part of "Run TMC."

Mucrisco
04-02-2015, 03:44 PM
LOL. You are right, brain cramp on my part! Chris Webber did play for Golden State, but was not part of "Run TMC."

I loved watching that team too. That was the precursor to the Bucks Big Three of Cassell, Big Dog, and Ray Allen.

mufan2003
04-02-2015, 04:03 PM
It would be great if in the coming years the Bucks could have success like they did in 2001. If MU and the Bucks are both very good at the same time, along with a new arena, will be a lot of fun.

Goose85
04-02-2015, 04:30 PM
It would be great if in the coming years the Bucks could have success like they did in 2001. If MU and the Bucks are both very good at the same time, along with a new arena, will be a lot of fun.

I really do think the Bucks are close, but you need a few things that I think they have.

1. You need a star and we will never get one in free agency, but Giannis has all the potential. If Parker can come back healthy and play like a #2 draft pick - look out.
2. A coach players will play for (Collins was a great coach, but Jordan wanted to play for Phil). Kidd is another key asset, as he has a ton of NBA respect it seems.
Here is a recent quote from Dudley when talking about if he would sign to play in Milwaukee again.
"The No. 1 reason is Jason Kidd. On our team, everybody plays. That doesn't happen. On any team. The only team that does that is Philly. They're bad, and they want to be bad on purpose. He plays everyone and he keeps everyone engaged."
3. Ownership - I remember when Cuban came into the league. Suddenly Dallas was a place to play because of Cuban. I think this group could be the same from a going 1st class standpoint (not shooting their mouth off).
4. New Arena - that could be awesome.

Anyway, for those Bucks fans (I know Off Topic) here is an interesting article on Jared Dudley.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/loquacious-jared-dudley-finds-a-home-in-milwaukee-b99470302z1-297953181.html

IWB
04-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Goo - you missed one more thing that the Bucks need to be successful... You need a commissioner that won't review technicals from throughout the year before game 7, deciding one from months ago was a level 2 and suspend your center for game 7. It would also be helpful if your commissioner didn't threatens to remove draft picks if you went to the media.

Markedman
04-08-2015, 02:03 PM
Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 9m9 minutes ago
RT @JonRothstein: Tennessee transfer Tariq Owens has committed to St. John's.

Phantom Warrior
04-08-2015, 03:45 PM
He averaged 1.2 ppg and 1.1 rpg, and he has to sit out a year. He is 6'10" though.

warriorfan4life
04-08-2015, 04:02 PM
He averaged 1.2 ppg and 1.1 rpg, and he has to sit out a year. He is 6'10" though.

Probably should have redshirted last year, but now gets a much needed year of development to add weight and fill out. He did block some shots though, and I'd guess may be their long-term replacement for Obepka.