PDA

View Full Version : Geno Auriema

TedBaxter
03-28-2015, 12:24 PM
UConn is up 84-38 midway through the second half against Texas and he still has all 5 starters in. These 5 starters have scored all 84 points and the only stats I could see that indicated any of the non-starters played was 2 bench players had fouls. Just sent his first sub of the second half in with 11 minutes to go. Ridiculous. Call off the dogs, I mean Huskies, Geno.

MU/Panther
03-28-2015, 12:57 PM
Could Geno win at a high level coaching men?

Nukem2
03-28-2015, 01:52 PM
Who cares.......

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-28-2015, 01:56 PM

I don't think so. He wouldn't have the near-divine ability to recruit any player, and would have the stigma of being a woman's coach attached to him. Had he started his career there, maybe, but with the juggernaut he's built, I think he's carved a niche he'll never get out of.

MU/Panther
03-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Who cares.......Homer brought it up about 10 years ago.
It's a great question for a hall of famer. Would be interesting to see, but it will never happen.

The Reptile
03-28-2015, 04:46 PM

No, but back in the day I think Pat Summit could have.

TheSultan
03-28-2015, 04:46 PM
No, but back in the day I think Pat Summit could have.

Why could one but not the other?

The Reptile
03-28-2015, 05:13 PM
Someone did a documentary about her about a decade ago. She always got top talent but he way they were honed was on par with what you would see at any top men's program in any sport. I'm not sure Geno is on Her level as a coach. Maybe a better recruiter but I don't see him as a better coach.

MUfan12
04-01-2015, 02:17 PM
Geno had some thoughts on the men's game today, and I can't say I disagree with him.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/04/01/uconn-geno-auriemma-rips-mens-college-basketball

Goose85
04-01-2015, 02:30 PM
The difference with guys like Geno is, when he lands a blue chipper, he knows that player will likely be there for four years in the women's game. Generally women stay for four years. That player develops and is more of a finished product after four years. If you have a top young center, you can recruit guards and those kids know that center will be there for four years. Easier to stay at the elite level when you know your kids will all be there.

Unless you change a rule that forces men to stay in college longer in the men's game, that is what you get, players leaving before they are a finished product because of their potential.

Look at the kids going pro, like Looney or even Diamond Stone here in Milwaukee. Coaches put in a ton of time recruiting these kids. The lucky ones that land the blue chippers have to recruit for that position the day the kid signs, as he will only have him for one year and will have to replace that position in the next recruiting class.