PDA

View Full Version : Will Lavin Coach St. John's Next Season?

Goose85
03-25-2015, 09:03 AM
Looks like Lavin may be on his way out according to this article on Zagsblog.

Now that would be an interesting opening.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/sources-steve-lavins-future-at-st-johns-in-doubt/#more-131668

Litehouse
03-25-2015, 09:10 AM
Bobby Hurley might want to wait a day or two to sign that contract extension at Buffalo.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-25-2015, 09:16 AM
It would be hilarious if DePaul dragged their feet and St John's came in and stole Hurley.

Phantom Warrior
03-25-2015, 09:18 AM
I also would not be surprised if the SHU job opens up, though I haven't read anything indicating that. The program at SHU is a train wreck.

As for SJU, the immediate future looks relatively bleak. Green, Harrison, and Pointer all completing their eligibility, and a decent chance Obekpa leaves as well. Almost no depth this past season.

Goose85
03-25-2015, 09:26 AM
Did Hurley sign an extension just to give Buffalo more cash in a buyout scenario?

Hey Buffalo, thanks for the opportunity but I'm moving on. Bobby, before you go how about we give you and extension and double the buyout provision?

warriorfan4life
03-25-2015, 10:00 AM
Did Hurley sign an extension just to give Buffalo more cash in a buyout scenario?

Hey Buffalo, thanks for the opportunity but I'm moving on. Bobby, before you go how about we give you and extension and double the buyout provision?

Extension has been agreed to, but not signed. I think it is a sign that Hurley will strongly consider DePaul or St. John's offers, but will not go there if they low-ball him or will not properly support the program.

DCwarrior
03-25-2015, 10:17 AM
I think these schools should be looking at Danny Hurley before they look at Bobby Hurley. He is younger, has a lot more coaching experience and likely has better recruiting connections. He's also helped turn around two different programs already.

Nukem2
03-25-2015, 10:21 AM
I think these schools should be looking at Danny Hurley before they look at Bobby Hurley. He is younger, has a lot more coaching experience and likely has better recruiting connections. He's also helped turn around two different programs already.
True, but I suspect Danny wants to stay closer to his roots. Bobby probably has a wider horizon given his days at Duke and the NBA...?

Litehouse
03-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Danny has a decent gig right now in the A10, so it's not as much of a jump for him. If Danny is going to go to the Big East, I assume he'd prefer to wait for Seton Hall.

MU/Panther
03-25-2015, 12:21 PM
Mark Jackson

TheSultan
03-25-2015, 12:24 PM
DeCourcy tweeted that they are working on an extension for Lavin.

IrwinFletcher
03-25-2015, 03:46 PM
DeCourcy tweeted that they are working on an extension for Lavin.

I just think that is a mistake. Lavin has done so little with so much. Bring in Jamie Dixon, Mark Jackson etc to change that program into what it should be.

TheSultan
03-25-2015, 04:55 PM
I just think that is a mistake. Lavin has done so little with so much. Bring in Jamie Dixon, Mark Jackson etc to change that program into what it should be.

Mark Jackson was terrible in the NBA. Why would he be good at St. Johns?

Just get a good coach. Doesn't need to have ties to the program.

IrwinFletcher
03-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Mark Jackson was terrible in the NBA. Why would he be good at St. Johns?

Just get a good coach. Doesn't need to have ties to the program.

He had a .526 winning percentage and was 9-10 in the playoffs. He has been in and around the NBA for a long time and has a lot of contacts and that is something that appeals to the kids he would be recruiting. We talk all the time about how having the Bucks around helps Marquette. Jackson could bring guys in to practices and to games to help reaise the profile of the program.

Like it or not, that matters to kids.

MayorBeluga
03-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Have it on pretty good authority from a source with major St. John's connections that the AD (who hired Lavin) is out and Lavin is staying.

MUBasketball
03-25-2015, 06:30 PM
Have it on pretty good authority from a source with major St. John's connections that the AD (who hired Lavin) is out and Lavin is staying.

Ugh...embrace mediocrity Johnnies. How frustrating.

03-25-2015, 06:33 PM
Get rid of the AD, give Lavin 5-6 more years? Makes no sense.

TheSultan
03-25-2015, 06:43 PM
He had a .526 winning percentage and was 9-10 in the playoffs. He has been in and around the NBA for a long time and has a lot of contacts and that is something that appeals to the kids he would be recruiting. We talk all the time about how having the Bucks around helps Marquette. Jackson could bring guys in to practices and to games to help reaise the profile of the program.

Like it or not, that matters to kids.

But he was a disaster...and his successor is showing that Jackson largely underachieved.

Look, you have to coach to be successful. You have to impart skills. Jackson has shown no ability to do that. What you are suggesting is that Jackson would do a great job attracting players. How does that make him different than Lavin?

MU/Panther
03-25-2015, 07:49 PM
After Lavin took St. John's to the ncaa tourament, I expected Lavin to be back. Most likely a safe move.

TheSultan
03-25-2015, 08:00 PM
Ugh...embrace mediocrity Johnnies. How frustrating.

Why is it frustrating? Do you have a rooting interest in St. Johns?

They are giving an extension to a guy who got them back in the tournament.

MUBasketball
03-25-2015, 08:03 PM
After Lavin took St. John's to the ncaa tourament, I expected Lavin to be back. Most likely a safe move.

I think it's the opposite of a safe move. He's gone through one rebuild at St. John's and that class played in one NCAA Tournament game and lost. He hasn't won a postseason game at St John's in 5 years (except what, one NIT game and one BE Tourney game?). And they trust him for another rebuild. Cut the damn cord, I thought this was a proud program? Act like it.

MUBasketball
03-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Why is it frustrating? Do you have a rooting interest in St. Johns?

They are giving an extension to a guy who got them back in the tournament.

Yes I would like to see St. John's do well and make the conference even stronger. Isn't that obvious?

TheSultan
03-25-2015, 08:12 PM
Yes I would like to see St. John's do well and make the conference even stronger. Isn't that obvious?

St. Johns did well this year. And the conference is fine.

MUBasketball
03-25-2015, 08:19 PM
St. Johns did well this year. And the conference is fine.

So if Marquette didn't have an NCAA Tournament win in 15 years you'd be in favor of giving the current coach an extension?

TheSultan
03-25-2015, 08:22 PM
So if Marquette didn't have an NCAA Tournament win in 15 years you'd be in favor of giving the current coach an extension?

Probably not. But I'm not a St. Johns fan so I really don't give a rip what they do. I just cant be "frustrated" because a Big East team that made the tournament decided to give their coach an extension. (Which is ultimately meaningless anyway.)

Why do we have this desire to turn SJU into some sort of powerhouse?

MUBasketball
03-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Probably not. But I'm not a St. Johns fan so I really don't give a rip what they do. I just cant be "frustrated" because a Big East team that made the tournament decided to give their coach an extension. (Which is ultimately meaningless anyway.)

Why do we have this desire to turn SJU into some sort of powerhouse?

Haha, I give up man. You're sure chiming in a lot on the DePaul search, why do you give a rip about that?

TheSultan
03-25-2015, 08:40 PM
Haha, I give up man. You're sure chiming in a lot on the DePaul search, why do you give a rip about that?

Coaching searches are entertaining. I certainly won't be "frustrated" no matter who DePaul hires.

MU/Panther
03-26-2015, 10:38 AM
Well, I'm hearing not so fast on this extension thing.

Smitty
03-27-2015, 08:03 AM
Well, I'm hearing not so fast on this extension thing.

I work with an SJU alum and hearing the same thing

IWB
03-27-2015, 09:41 AM
I'm guessing they are offering an extension, but if he puts in any demands they will tell him to pack up.

milkbone
03-27-2015, 09:49 AM
Is it true, the perk that Lavin wants is a new rug for Keady??

MU/Panther
03-27-2015, 12:06 PM
Is it true, the perk that Lavin wants is a new rug for Keady?? lol! :p

Nukem2
03-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Is it true, the perk that Lavin wants is a new rug for Keady??
Keady could use a face lift as well... ;)

MUfan12
03-27-2015, 01:31 PM
It was just a rug too far.

RT @ESPNDanaOneil: St Johns announces Steve Lavin out as head coach. Mutually agree to part ways

Markedman
03-27-2015, 01:33 PM
@AdamZagoria: Chris Mullin, Danny Hurley among favorites to be new St. John's coach, sources tell @SNYtv http://t.co/BoYje1MLiO

MUBasketball
03-27-2015, 01:44 PM
THANK GOD!!!

Hire Dan Hurley, this should be quick and easy.

03-27-2015, 01:46 PM
Wonder if Dan Hurley will want this or wait for his alma mater to open up. Might be a good time for SHU to pull the trigger on Willard.

MU/Panther
03-27-2015, 02:06 PM
THANK GOD!!!

Hire Dan Hurley, this should be quick and easy.I like Dan Hurley as well, but why is everyone so high on this guy for not making a run in the ncaa tourney? That is where the buzz for these guys come from.

MU/Panther
03-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Wonder if Dan Hurley will want this or wait for his alma mater to open up. Might be a good time for SHU to pull the trigger on Willard.I heard the buyout is to high.

Goose85
03-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Sounds like Barnes seat is plenty hot at Texas.

Just curious, if Barnes does part ways with Texas, who would be a likely successor?

Putting the Buzz left us feelings aside, if you were Texas would you bring Buzz on board or go in a different direction?

milwaukeejedi1
03-27-2015, 03:59 PM
Gregg Marshall

TheSultan
03-27-2015, 04:07 PM
Sounds like Barnes seat is plenty hot at Texas.

Just curious, if Barnes does part ways with Texas, who would be a likely successor?

Putting the Buzz left us feelings aside, if you were Texas would you bring Buzz on board or go in a different direction?

No. Maybe two years ago, but I think Texas will shoot very high...probably not get their initial targets, but settle for a guy who is pretty straight-laced and comes with head coaching experience.

So for instance, they may shoot for a Sean Miller or John Belein, but end up with a Jay Wright or a Chris Mack.

Phantom Warrior
03-27-2015, 04:10 PM
Jay Wright? To Texas? Can't see it. Mack? Maybe.

warriorfan4life
03-27-2015, 04:12 PM
No. Maybe two years ago, but I think Texas will shoot very high...probably not get their initial targets, but settle for a guy who is pretty straight-laced and comes with head coaching experience.

So for instance, they may shoot for a Sean Miller or John Belein, but end up with a Jay Wright or a Chris Mack.

Jay Wright would be in column A of that scenario. Great overall resume despite the recent early tourney exits.

79warrior
03-27-2015, 04:31 PM

Sean Miller? No way he leaves Zona for that gig. Big step down. UA is hoops heaven. UT is all football.

Goose85
03-27-2015, 04:34 PM
Gregg Marshall

I think that would be an interesting hire should the Texas job open. Marshall has been very successful at both of his stops, so no real reason to think he wouldn't do the same at Texas.

TheSultan
03-27-2015, 04:46 PM
Don't be focused on football school versus basketball school. Texas has huge resources and can pay a head coach and assistants a lot of money. I agree I don't think Miller leaves Arizona but that doesn't mean Texas won't try.

03-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Jay Wright would be in column A of that scenario. Great overall resume despite the recent early tourney exits.

I wonder if Wright would leave. I imagine Nova would be willing to match most any offer and he's pretty much untouchable there. He's talked about the benefits of basketball only schools and how it's helped the league, would he want something like Texas where he'd always be second fiddle? He's also close to home, growing up not far from Philly. I could see him being a lifer there.

MU/Panther
03-27-2015, 05:08 PM
I can't see Wright leaving. Plus, it's hope as well.

warriorfan4life
03-27-2015, 05:37 PM
Only college job I think he leaves for is Kentucky. Would not be stunned if he coaches the Sixers (or in the NBA one day), but do not think that he leaves Nova for a small step up.

Texas's first and last call should be Gregg Marshall. Already has recruited Texas at Wichita State, and it's the perfect program for him to thrive without insane expectations (don't think that he is wired properly to coach a blue-blood program).

Markedman
03-27-2015, 10:23 PM
I think st Johns might just have found their man......@MettaWorldPeace: I would absolutely coach at St.Johns if presented with that opportunity.
Go St.Johns

03-28-2015, 07:25 AM
Sounds like Mullin and Danny Hurley will be the first calls. Masiello, Cluess, and Pitino Jr also in the mix.

03-28-2015, 09:57 AM
@coaching_rumors: Mullin has already turned down St Johns & an offer has been made to Hurley.

2012Warrior
03-28-2015, 10:10 AM
I think that's lucky for St. John's. Now they can try and get World Peace.

Danny Hurley right? I think he'd be a great hire.

03-28-2015, 10:18 AM
Yes. Bobby Hurley not in the mix at St John's.

MUBasketball
03-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Danny Hurley right? I think he'd be a great hire.

He would be. Great recruiting plus discipline and X and O competence. Big change from Lavin.

03-28-2015, 12:10 PM
Also brings immediate credibility in the region. Whatever issues we may have with the name Hurley (cough, Tyshawn Taylor, cough) it does carry weight.

03-28-2015, 12:11 PM
And it would further remind schools in the A-10 (looking at you, Dayton) that their programs and coaches are ours for the taking.

MU/Panther
03-28-2015, 01:01 PM
And it would further remind schools in the A-10 (looking at you, Dayton) that their programs and coaches are ours for the taking.
Also signed words from Jay Bilas.

milkbone
03-29-2015, 04:12 PM
Jon RothsteinVerified account
‏@JonRothstein BREAKING: St. John's has offered Chris Mullin its HC job + he is expected to accept, sources told @CBSSports. Story

03-29-2015, 04:19 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/220154/plane-crash-o.gif

Markedman
03-29-2015, 04:20 PM
Home run or bust hire for St Johns......I kind of like it

03-29-2015, 04:21 PM
At least they didn't hire Oliver Purnell, I guess...

MUBasketball
03-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Zagoria says Mullin and Slice Rohrssen (current Kentucky assistant and ace NE recruiter) are best friends. If he joins his staff, I'm totally on board.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-29-2015, 04:33 PM
Agreed, with the right staff they could be really good... I've always liked Mullins. Why couldn't DePaul at least tried something like this? Even if it fails for St. John's it's at least they tried.

MU/Panther
03-29-2015, 04:34 PM
Many of the alumni wanted Chris Mullin. I didn't mind if it would be Dan Hurley, but don't know why he is the flavor of the month. I would like to see him at Seton Hall in 2016, if things don't work out for Willard.

MUBasketball
03-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Many of the alumni wanted Chris Mullin. I didn't mind if it would be Dan Hurley, but don't know why he is the flavor of the month. I would like to see him at Seton Hall in 2016, if things don't work out for Willard.

Hurley is not the flavor of the month. He's turned around two different programs.

MU/Panther
03-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Hurley is not the flavor of the month. He's turned around two different programs.

Wagner, no big deal. What has he done big time yet at URI?

warriorfan4life
03-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Love St. John's hiring Mullin. He will be their Hoiberg. And I loved Iowa State hiring Hoiberg. Basketball intelligence and passion for the school is a winning combination.

TheSultan
03-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Wagner, no big deal. What has he done big time yet at URI?

He took over a program that won 7 games...

He won 8...14...then 23 games. Is that big time? No. But it shows he can build a program.

03-29-2015, 05:03 PM
Zagoria says Mullin and Slice Rohrssen (current Kentucky assistant and ace NE recruiter) are best friends. If he joins his staff, I'm totally on board.

Rohrssen would at least make me lukewarm on the hire. Still a huge risk, but at least it helps a ton from the recruiting angle. Still feel Hurley was the way to go, though.