PDA

View Full Version : Perspective on the Big East

warriorfan4life
03-23-2015, 01:21 PM
Going into the season, I thought there was one really good team (Villanova), two teams with the potential to be pretty good (Georgetown and Xavier), and then a whole of lot of question marks with some talent (Providence, Seton Hall, and Johnnies chief among them). I thought 3-4 NCAA bids realistically, and only Nova as a threat to go super deep. Butler turned out to be an awesome surprise, and was one good offensive set away from still playing.

In 2014, we did not get enough teams in the tourney and two of four teams in the field had double digit seeds (and Xavier did not even make the tournament proper). Our two high seeds that year (Villanova and Creighton) did not make the second weekend. This season, we left a couple of Sweet 16 spots on the table, but still have a team playing.

Next season, I think eight of the ten teams in the conference can harbor tournament dreams (everyone but DePaul and St. John's, and even the right coach could possibly make a surprise run with DePaul). Of those, I believe there are four potential teams (Nova, Georgetown, Providence, Xavier) with hopes of coming into the tourney with a protected (top four) seed if their rosters shake out favorably. Butler is just a shade behind that top four, and should be a tournament team next season at a minimum (and they could jump ahead with a quality grad transfer at the 4-5 spots to replace Kameron Woods). I hope and expect that we take another step forward next season and put at least 2-3 teams in the Sweet 16 (crapshoot nature of the tournament not withstanding). We almost went from 0 to 100 this season, but next season I expect to firmly establish our presence as a top level basketball league.

mufan2003
03-23-2015, 01:39 PM
Good post. In the NBA, I have heard "experts" say you make your name in the regular season and your legacy in the postseason. Virginia has made a name for themselves as has Iowa State, but really no legacy due to their lack of success in the tournament. Villanova and Jay Wright have a Final 4, but the last few years and this year have diminished that accomplishment a bit. Tom Izzo is "Mr. March" for a reason. Granted, only 1 national championship, but multiple Sweet 16's and Final Fours.

I think Marquette will be back soon (I think they can make the tourney next year, especially if Wojo adds two veteran grad transfers). I think Jay Wright has learned his lesson, he will target a dominant post player or two in each recruiting cycle to go with a bevy of great guards. Starting in 2016, already has a Top 20, 5-star post player (Spellman) coming in. Georgetown, Xavier, Butler all look like tournament teams. Providence should be, but who is their PG, that is a big question. Seton Hall has the talent, but will there be dysfunction again? Creighton adds Maurice Watson, Cole Huff, redshirt freshman Ronnie Harrell (Top 100 player). I would bet they will be better next year. St. John's will regress significantly and DePaul is DePaul (a good, young coach would help).

warriorfan4life
03-23-2015, 01:45 PM
Good post. In the NBA, I have heard "experts" say you make your name in the regular season and your legacy in the postseason. Virginia has made a name for themselves as has Iowa State, but really no legacy due to their lack of success in the tournament. Villanova and Jay Wright have a Final 4, but the last few years and this year have diminished that accomplishment a bit. Tom Izzo is "Mr. March" for a reason. Granted, only 1 national championship, but multiple Sweet 16's and Final Fours.

I think Marquette will be back soon (I think they can make the tourney next year, especially if Wojo adds two veteran grad transfers). I think Jay Wright has learned his lesson, he will target a dominant post player or two in each recruiting cycle to go with a bevy of great guards. Starting in 2016, already has a Top 20, 5-star post player (Spellman) coming in. Georgetown, Xavier, Butler all look like tournament teams. Providence should be, but who is their PG, that is a big question. Seton Hall has the talent, but will there be dysfunction again? Creighton adds Maurice Watson, Cole Huff, redshirt freshman Ronnie Harrell (Top 100 player). I would bet they will be better next year. St. John's will regress significantly and DePaul is DePaul (a good, young coach would help).

Love Providence next year if Dunn returns (not sure how likely that is, but do not believe that it is impossible). If he goes pro, they fall right back into the Creighton, Marquette, Seton Hall pack of teams with talent, with significant question marks.

79warrior
03-23-2015, 03:37 PM

MU has four returning players. Five freshmen coming in. Nothing about that screams NCAA next year. If we can move out of the bottom and get in the NIT, that would be a very nice season.

kneelb4zerg
03-23-2015, 03:41 PM
MU has four returning players. Five freshmen coming in. Nothing about that screams NCAA next year. If we can move out of the bottom and get in the NIT, that would be a very nice season.

Henry Ellenson screams NCAA.

Phantom Warrior
03-23-2015, 04:51 PM
Even if Dunn returns, Providence will have trouble making the NCAA. Henton is a huge loss, and apparently Harris has decided to go pro. Plus, Desrosiers was not much of a scorer, but he was a solid complementary starter. There is a lot of young talent, but the Friars would be relying on Dunn and a bunch of sophomores. If Dunn leaves, which is certainly possible, Providence ends up 8, 9, or 10 in the conference.

mufan2003
03-23-2015, 11:51 PM

NIT is never a nice season, IMO.

warriorfan4life
03-24-2015, 12:10 AM
Even if Dunn returns, Providence will have trouble making the NCAA. Henton is a huge loss, and apparently Harris has decided to go pro. Plus, Desrosiers was not much of a scorer, but he was a solid complementary starter. There is a lot of young talent, but the Friars would be relying on Dunn and a bunch of sophomores. If Dunn leaves, which is certainly possible, Providence ends up 8, 9, or 10 in the conference.

I think Pascal Chukwu will be better then Desrosiers this past season, and frankly he may become too good, too soon for Providence. I could see him declaring for the NBA a year from now as the combination of 7-2, athletic, and decent basketball skills make NBA GM's drool. I believe that Lindsey, Bentil, and Rodney Bullock can cumulatively replace Henton's production and honestly provide better offensive balance. Kyron Cartwright does not appear to be a future star, but he becomes a solid contributor starting next year (and with his stroke and free throw percentage, I believe that he becomes much more of a perimeter shooting threat). They could use one or two of their freshman guards/wings (Edwards, Council, and Fazekas) becoming an immediate part of the rotation, but none of them will have to be anything more then role players.

All this being said, Dunn is the difference between them being either a top 20 team or hopefully a bubble team. He would have a strong supporting cast, but they need him to be featured star.

Markedman
03-24-2015, 11:57 AM
FOX19Amy ‏@FOX19AmyW 27m27 minutes ago
Coach Mack confirms there is a report of alleged assault against Jalen Reynolds. Reynolds will travel with the team AND will play

79warrior
03-24-2015, 12:59 PM
NIT is never a nice season, IMO.

I agree, but a major improvement from this season.