PDA

View Full Version : Big East and NCAA Tourney Credits

Goose85
03-16-2015, 11:31 AM
So 6 teams in this 10 team league earned very good tourney bids, which means 6 teams will be earning NCAA Tourney Credits to be shared with just 10 teams.

Villanova is a 1 seed, so the expectation is they should win more than just a couple games.

Based on seed alone (not taking into account match-ups) Georgetown is a 4 seed and could win a couple. Xavier, Butler, and Providence are expected to win a game based on seed. St. John's - who knows.

Bottom line is this has not just been a very good year on the court, this could also be a very good year financially for the Big East from a Tournament Credit standpoint.

Here is an article from Forbes about the value of the tourney credits from last year's tourney.

I found this snippet interesting.

"Perhaps the more interesting way to look at a unit’s value, however, is how much it nets a conference over its six-year life. Unit values change year to year, and next year’s per-unit payout is projected to be $255,379, a 2.1% growth over this year. Assuming an annual 2% increase every year thereafter, a single tournament unit won this year will accrue a total value of $1.58 million across the next six distributions."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2014/03/20/how-a-single-ncaa-tournament-win-is-worth-1-6-million/

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-16-2015, 11:49 AM
So 6 teams in this 10 team league earned very good tourney bids, which means 6 teams will be earning NCAA Tourney Credits to be shared with just 10 teams.

Villanova is a 1 seed, so the expectation is they should win more than just a couple games.

Based on seed alone (not taking into account match-ups) Georgetown is a 4 seed and could win a couple. Xavier, Butler, and Providence are expected to win a game based on seed. St. John's - who knows.

Bottom line is this has not just been a very good year on the court, this could also be a very good year financially for the Big East from a Tournament Credit standpoint.

Here is an article from Forbes about the value of the tourney credits from last year's tourney.

I found this snippet interesting.

"Perhaps the more interesting way to look at a unit’s value, however, is how much it nets a conference over its six-year life. Unit values change year to year, and next year’s per-unit payout is projected to be $255,379, a 2.1% growth over this year. Assuming an annual 2% increase every year thereafter, a single tournament unit won this year will accrue a total value of $1.58 million across the next six distributions."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2014/03/20/how-a-single-ncaa-tournament-win-is-worth-1-6-million/

This is why winning in the NCAA tournament is so important... The Big East needs this cash flow to keep up with the big boys. Last year was a big disappointment credit wise, which means a dip in cash. The way for a conference to make big money is you either need one team with a super deep run, or several teams to win 2 games.

The other thing to keep in mind is that one bad year can haunt you for 6 years because of the way they are paid out. Or vice versa, one good year for the league can boost you for 6 seasons.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-17-2015, 04:57 PM
I read an article today that said that NCAA tournament credits make up about 30% of the Big East's operating budget... Thats a pretty big chunk that's based on teams performances. I also looked back and the old Big East teams were earning roughly $1.63 million a year from NCAA tournament credits... In order for the new Big East to match that amount they would need to get roughly 11 credits per season, last year they pulled in 6... This year needs to be better.

Goose85
03-17-2015, 05:27 PM
We start out with 6 credits as we have 6 teams in the Dance. Any combination of 5 wins would get us to 11.

If my brackets are any good (they normally aren't) the Big East would get 15 credits (yeah, a bit of a Big East homer on my brackets).
Hopefully the Big East makes up some ground from last years credits.

Butler wins 1 game = 2 credits
Xavier wins 1 = 2
G-Town wins 2 = 3
Providence wins 1 = 2
St. John's no wins = 1
Villanova wins 4 = 5

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-17-2015, 05:30 PM
15 would be a huge year, i hope you are right! The other down side the Big East has in terms of credits is that they don't have any previous credits from X, BU, and Creighton as their credits from 2013 and before all stayed with their old conferences... So until we get to a point where we have been a full league for 6 years we won't reap the full benefit of credits.

2012Warrior
03-18-2015, 08:44 AM
What did we get for credits from the Big East split? Did we keep the Syracuse, Pitt, etc. credits or only the remaining Big East schools?

Nukem2
03-18-2015, 09:47 AM
What did we get for credits from the Big East split? Did we keep the Syracuse, Pitt, etc. credits or only the remaining Big East schools?Think the new BE gave up all of the tourney credits...?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-18-2015, 10:31 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2013/03/08/the-catholic-7-will-retain-ncaa-tournament-units-worth-7-25-million-in-2013/

The 7 schools got to take their credits... It doesn't add up to a ton, but it's something. I out together a table of the credits and the payouts, suffice to say we need some big years over the next 6 years to make up the gap from what we were making to what we are making now.

IWB
03-18-2015, 01:54 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2013/03/08/the-catholic-7-will-retain-ncaa-tournament-units-worth-7-25-million-in-2013/

The 7 schools got to take their credits... It doesn't add up to a ton, but it's something. I out together a table of the credits and the payouts, suffice to say we need some big years over the next 6 years to make up the gap from what we were making to what we are making now.

Doesn't add up to a ton? According to the Forbes article it said $7.25 million. That's over a mil per school. Not bad at all.

Halo
03-20-2015, 12:19 AM
Bump. Need 1 more win to get to 11 credit target. How about 16 to make up for last year?

79warrior
03-20-2015, 12:24 AM
For or some reason I thought the value of each credit increases every round. Is that correct?

Litehouse
03-20-2015, 07:10 AM
They don't increase every round, a win is just a unit. But the value of the units usually increases over the 6 year pay out period.

IrwinFletcher
03-20-2015, 07:26 AM
Bump. Need 1 more win to get to 11 credit target. How about 16 to make up for last year?

St Johns will have trouble today but Providence has a legit shot to win. Add in X faces Georgia St. plus 4 other round of 32 games, we should surpass your goal of 11 credits.

BTW, my bracket shows 17 credits.