View Full Version : Depaul looking for a new coach

Markedman
03-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Joy in Chicago I'm sure.....

Scott Phillips ‏@phillipshoops 50s50 seconds ago
DePaul's Oliver Purnell has resigned.

TulsaWarrior
03-14-2015, 02:59 PM
This is not surprising and is an opportunity for DePaul and the Big East. I wish Collins would come over from Northwestern.

milkbone
03-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Now they need the AD to follow suit!!!

TheSultan
03-14-2015, 03:01 PM
This is not surprising and is an opportunity for DePaul and the Big East. I wish Collins would come over from Northwestern.

It is a huge opportunity, but I don't think Collins would leave and I don't think DePaul would have any interest anyway.

Markedman
03-14-2015, 03:01 PM
Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN · 4m 4 minutes ago
The last time DePaul opened, there was some speculation that Ben Howland might have some interest. Look for him to try and get in mix.

TedBaxter
03-14-2015, 03:09 PM
I would try to interview Michael White of Louisiana Tech as one option.

milkbone
03-14-2015, 03:12 PM
Will Billy Garrett leave with his dad??

MU/Panther
03-14-2015, 03:17 PM
I think there will be many "names" will value that will come up for this job.
All you have to do is get fans in the seats and make the NIT and get a birth to NCAA Tournament, then you will be a hero at that school.

MUBasketball
03-14-2015, 03:53 PM

Probably, but he's overrated anyway. Decent enough player, but way overhyped coming out of high school in hindsight.

Nukem2
03-14-2015, 04:00 PM

Would DePaul look at his Dad...?

milkbone
03-14-2015, 04:11 PM
Would the coach from Northern Iowa consider DePaul??

Gato78
03-14-2015, 04:25 PM
Almost everyone would consider DePaul. The question is pay and security.

ilovefreeway
03-14-2015, 04:43 PM
Almost everyone would consider DePaul. The question is pay and security.

The question is the commitment the university will give the team.

Gato78
03-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Thats what I was saying.

warriorfan4life
03-14-2015, 04:54 PM
If they want to go the assistant route, Tavares Hardy from Georgetown makes a lot of sense. Previously an assistant at Northwestern, recruited Paul White and L.J. Peak (who spent time in high school in Chicago) to Georgetown. Also, he is hard after 2016 Chicago area big Barrett Benson.

Edit: Would not be stunned if our old friend Tom Crean is also in the picture. I believe that he is wisely thinking about an escape route out of Bloomington.

Halo
03-14-2015, 04:57 PM
Wardle? Crean?

Mucrisco
03-14-2015, 04:58 PM
I would want someone who plays an uptempo exciting style that attracts recruits. Someone who is willing to sell the program to the students too.

MUBasketball
03-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Edit: Would not be stunned if our old friend Tom Crean is also in the picture. I believe that he is wisely thinking about an escape route out of Bloomington.

Crean is going to the Sweet 16 and all the critics will eat crow.

IrwinFletcher
03-14-2015, 05:18 PM

0 Chance of that happening.

ziggysfryboy
03-14-2015, 05:26 PM
If they want to go the assistant route, Tavares Hardy from Georgetown makes a lot of sense. Previously an assistant at Northwestern, recruited Paul White and L.J. Peak (who spent time in high school in Chicago) to Georgetown. Also, he is hard after 2016 Chicago area big Barrett Benson.

I'm willing to bet that Monday or Tuesday will involve negotiations between Crean and the IU admin about agreeing to a buyout and a face saving "resignation" for the tan man. Leaks wednesday and done on Thursday.

IWB
03-14-2015, 05:56 PM
What about Crean or Wardle?

Markedman
03-14-2015, 06:09 PM
Would Crean really take that job? I just can't see it.......I saw a rumor of Wardle to Bradley......

TedBaxter
03-14-2015, 06:36 PM
I don't think Brian Wardle has won enough. This year was his opportunity to get the NCAA's and they didn't do it.

TheSultan
03-14-2015, 06:40 PM
I don't think Brian Wardle has won enough. This year was his opportunity to get the NCAA's and they didn't do it.

If I were looking at a Horizon League coach, I would look at Bryce Drew before Brian Wardle. Drew recruits the Chicago area just has much and has won three regular season conference titles, and two tournament titles at Valpo.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Honestly, when I think of Crean, I think of Kevin O'Neill. Crean has come under a ton of fire despite having cleaned up the program, taken them to a #1 ranking, and made the Sweet 16 twice. IU fans that think they are still a national power are delusional. They've been to one Final Four in the past 23 years. They've won only two conference titles in that span, one under Crean. They haven't won a national title in 28 years. The name may be Indiana, but the program is a shadow of its former self. Indiana is not a blue blood. It is not a national brand. It is not on par with Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, or any of the other true powers. They aren't even on par with Michigan State, Michigan, or Ohio State any more.

Their fans are stuck in the 1980s. I wonder if Crean sometimes thinks it was a mistake to leave Marquette. He could have stayed here forever, he would have been given a pass when he missed the tourney on occasion as long as he had more successes than failures. If he could negotiate a smaller buyout, get DePaul to pay a portion of it, going to a smaller, Midwestern Catholic school might actually appeal to him. Like a second chance at the greener grass he walked away from because "It's Indiana, It's Indiana." He would again have time to build the program, the fanbase would never have the same unrealistic dreams that IU fans still harbor, he would be in a recruiting hotbed and still have access to all the areas he has successfully recruited over the years.

In addition, it would let IU get out from under his buyout and move on. Crean certainly has made the job more attractive than it was when he took it. IU gets a new coach, Crean gets a new job with less pressure and that would allow him the time needed for a rebuild (which he has shown an aptitude for), and DePaul would get a coach that knows how to motivate a fanbase and create excitement in a program while also knowing how to win.

Honestly, I hope Crean goes nowhere near there. I don't really want a good DePaul, and while Crean wouldn't necessarily make them a perennial contender, I do believe he would make them a team that was regularly a top-6 team in the league.

MUMac
03-14-2015, 06:46 PM

Agreed. He has had enough talent to get there the past few years, but hasn't. It's a guards game and he had a fantastic one in Sykes. In addition, he had plenty of height and length and last year had a top center, but still could not get to the dance. He needs to show something, IMHO, to warrant a move to the next level much less to the BE. He has not done that at GB.

Nukem2
03-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Agreed. He has had enough talent to get there the past few years, but hasn't. It's a guards game and he had a fantastic one in Sykes. In addition, he had plenty of height and length and last year had a top center, but still could not get to the dance. He needs to show something, IMHO, to warrant a move to the next level much less to the BE. He has not done that at GB.
Unfortunately, those are the facts. Brian needs to get a breakthrough to move up. Also, GB fizzled in the NIT last year as well. Good guy, but results are important.

Mark Miller
03-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Early names ... Howland, Hurley brothers, some NBA guys, Gregory, Bryce Drew, Wardle.

MUBasketball
03-14-2015, 07:26 PM
Early names ... Howland, Hurley brothers, some NBA guys, Gregory, Bryce Drew, Wardle.

All good names except Gregory.

03-14-2015, 08:38 PM
Bobby Hurley going dancing. Former Germantown standout Lamonte Bearden helped ice it for the Buffalo Bulls. Will definitely make him a hot target in a couple weeks.

MinnesotaJeb
03-14-2015, 08:58 PM
How about Ben Jacobson at Northern Iowa? Cedar Rapids isn't far to go to move to Chicago.

Nukem2
03-14-2015, 09:01 PM
How about Ben Jacobson at Northern Iowa? Cedar Rapids isn't far to go to move to Chicago.
Recruiting is the question.......

MU88
03-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Reggie Theus is the guy to hire. DePaul needs a guy to grab the Public League kids, not a guy who is going to try and recruit suburban kids to a commuter college.

TedBaxter
03-14-2015, 09:25 PM
DePaul trying to cater to the Chicago Public League is a losing proposition.

TheSultan
03-14-2015, 09:27 PM
Reggie Theus is the guy to hire. DePaul needs a guy to grab the Public League kids, not a guy who is going to try and recruit suburban kids to a commuter college.

Reggie Theus went 9-24 at Cal St Northridge this year.

I think the whole "connection to the Public League" thing is overrated. DePaul just needs to hire a good coach. Sure it is important that whomever it is develops good relationships with Public League coaches, as well as coaches from throughout the region.

Don't get me wrong. They need to recruit better talent, so a young guy with some energy is very important. But there are a lot of ways to build a good program there.

03-14-2015, 09:39 PM
The head coach doesn't need to have the CPL blessing, but having at least one assistant with strong CPL ties wouldn't hurt.

Markedman
03-14-2015, 09:39 PM
It's time for the George Costanza strategy......." If every instinct you have is wrong then the opposite must be right"

They should know by now what not to do......

WarriorOMalley82
03-14-2015, 09:52 PM
As someone who knows the AD the one thing I can guarantee is that Tom Crean will not be hired by this administration.

MayorBeluga
03-14-2015, 09:57 PM
Perry Clark is available.

03-14-2015, 10:00 PM
As someone who knows the AD the one thing I can guarantee is that Tom Crean will not be hired by this administration.

All the more reason JLP should be tendering her resignation tomorrow.

IrwinFletcher
03-15-2015, 10:12 AM
Bryce Drew would be a good fit. Young guy who knows the Chicago area well and has good heritage in the game. Not sure about the Hurleys as they are east coast guys and may not fit here. Howland? No. DePaul needs a young energetic guy to go out and pound the pavement and not only recruit, but market the program.

I know there is a lot going on in sports right now (NCAA tourney, HS Championships, Spring Training, NFL Free Agency), but the Purnell resigning made it to Page 7 in the Tribune today. There just is no buzz around this program right now and an old guy isn't going to change that.

Markedman
03-15-2015, 11:54 AM
@WndyCtyBsktball: Ben Howland on top of DePaul's list.

MUBasketball
03-15-2015, 01:12 PM
Might be too risky for them, but Jerrance Howard or Rod Strickland would get players at the very least.

03-15-2015, 01:30 PM
It'll be interesting if they go the Chicago native route. Would likely make the CPL crowd happy, but I'm not sure catering to them is a good thing.

warriorfan4life
03-15-2015, 01:31 PM
All the more reason JLP should be tendering her resignation tomorrow.

Exactly. Purnell was merely the flesh wound in the gaping cut that is the DePaul athletic department.

Goose85
03-15-2015, 02:31 PM
Bruce Pearl would have been perfect fo DePaul. They need more than just players, they need someone to energize fans and donors.

03-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Bruce Pearl would have been perfect fo DePaul. They need more than just players, they need someone to energize fans and donors.

Not sure Pearl would ever be welcome back in the state of Illinois.

unclejohn
03-15-2015, 05:51 PM
Unfortunately, those are the facts. Brian needs to get a breakthrough to move up. Also, GB fizzled in the NIT last year as well. Good guy, but results are important.

In fairness to Wardle, he lost his best player (and I think his best two players) just before the conference tournament last year. Otherwise, they likely would have won the HL bid and perhaps made some noise. Not surprising that a disappointed team did not make a run in the NIT. I do expect he will get a look from DePaul, but not an offer. But his big payday is coming. Soon.

MUMac
03-15-2015, 06:05 PM
In fairness to Wardle, he lost his best player (and I think his best two players) just before the conference tournament last year. Otherwise, they likely would have won the HL bid and perhaps made some noise. Not surprising that a disappointed team did not make a run in the NIT. I do expect he will get a look from DePaul, but not an offer. But his big payday is coming. Soon.

Actually, Brown played 35 minutes and Sykes played 37 minutes in the Horizon League loss to UWM. Brown played hurt for a good portion of the season. Sykes had played with a thumb injury for the latter part of the season. That, though, did not effect them in the games they played leading up to that game. Plus, the game was in Green Bay. https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf9/2656906.pdf

TulsaWarrior
03-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Kiefer played one one leg and Brown with one good shoulder. The stars were not in line. Sad for the players and Nix fans. Both were gutting it out and if it was a regular season game they would have been on the bench the whole time.

Markedman
03-15-2015, 06:15 PM
Who does GB lose other then Sykes? Not sure a big payday is coming soon.......He isn't likely to get a big payday until he makes the tournament and makes some noise in it.

03-15-2015, 06:20 PM
I wonder, if Wardle had got in and made a run to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8, would he be coaching Marquette right now?

MUBasketball
03-15-2015, 09:43 PM
Go home Ponsetto, you're drunk. Two winning seasons as a head coach and never took his team further than the CBI. But hey, the President will come to a game!

Coaching Rumors ‏@coaching_rumors 20m20 minutes ago

Craig Robinson has been contacted by DePaul intermediaries in regards to their open HC position.

Goose85
03-17-2015, 09:15 AM
This needs to be a home run hire for DePaul. They are putting a lot of money into a new facility, and have a couple years to get it right before they move in.
I really don't think Craig Robinson is a home run hire. I'm not sure what's up with Howland, but he would be a far better name.

TheSultan
03-17-2015, 09:24 AM
This needs to be a home run hire for DePaul. They are putting a lot of money into a new facility, and have a couple years to get it right before they move in.
I really don't think Craig Robinson is a home run hire. I'm not sure what's up with Howland, but he would be a far better name.

I'm pretty sure no one would think Robinson is a home run hire. In fact, I would call it a disaster if it comes to pass.

Nukem2
03-17-2015, 09:49 AM
I'm pretty sure no one would think Robinson is a home run hire. In fact, I would call it a disaster if it comes to pass.
Yeah, about the only thing positive one might conjecture is that recruiting might be helped in Chicago by being the President's brother-in-law.....................

Goose85
03-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Yeah, about the only thing positive one might conjecture is that recruiting might be helped in Chicago by being the President's brother-in-law.....................

Kids don't care if you are the President's B/L, now if the new coach was Michael Jordan or LeBron James' B/L that might be a different story.

Nukem2
03-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Kids don't care if you are the President's B/L, now if the new coach was Michael Jordan or LeBron James' B/L that might be a different story.As I posted, its the only positive thing one can conjecture about Robinson (and, as you say, kids probably would not even care about that).

MU88
03-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Rumor is that Robinson is in play at UIC, not DePaul

CaribouJim
03-17-2015, 10:41 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-haugh-depaul-spt-0317-20150316-column.html

DePaul Needs a Young, Energetic Coach Who Can Establish Identity by David Haugh

Before DePaul can judge any short list of potential basketball coaches, perhaps university President Rev. Dennis H. Holtschneider needs to re-evaluate the person making it.

Athletic director Jean Lenti Ponsetto offers DePaul 40 years of institutional knowledge, integrity and experience that still could serve a valuable purpose in various other roles in the department. Nobody on campus represents DePaul with any more pride or class. But the fact remains that Lenti Ponsetto has hired two men's basketball coaches at DePaul since officially taking over as AD in July 2002 and Jerry Wainwright and Oliver Purnell both failed miserably following Dave Leitao.

What makes anybody on the DePaul Board of Trustees confident Lenti Ponsetto will get it right now? The success of other Blue Demons programs on Lenti Ponsetto's watch, while impressive, means little; basketball defines tenures and determines legacies at DePaul.

If the DePaul powers that be allow Lenti Ponsetto to find Purnell's replacement, out of practicality, they at least can help her make a better decision this time. Hire an independent consultant familiar with Chicago but not necessarily one of those national search firms that recommends somebody with limited exposure to the city's recruiting rhythms. Freshen the approach to reduce the chances of the next coach becoming Lenti Ponsetto's third strike. The key for the new guy isn't being from Chicago as much as knowing from experience where to locate players once he arrives.

Lenti Ponsetto declined all interview requests until completing the search, which has begun. The man she eventually introduces should be someone who instills an identity and installs a system — what Chris Collins did for Northwestern. The next DePaul coach should be someone with a proven track record of recruiting elite talent and young enough to relate to the AAU generation. The successor must exude energy and enthusiasm, a guy hungry to use DePaul to land a bigger job if he wishes rather than a sleepy coach content to collect fat paychecks on his way to retirement.

Stop hiring guys in their late 50s on their last coaching stops. Stop believing DePaul must hire a coach who connects with the Mark Aguirre era. The recruits who will turn the program around weren't alive when Aguirre helped make DePaul more relevant locally than the Bulls. The notion of reconnecting with DePaul's past sounds romantic, but it's unnecessary.

The parity of the Big East permits programs such as DePaul more opportunities than the previously bloated version full of football schools. In theory, the job should be more appealing now with fewer teams because schools such as Georgetown and St. John's win without sparkling facilities. In reality, it will be up to whomever Lenti Ponsetto hires to have a team ready to compete for a conference title by the time DePaul's 10,000-seat McCormick Place arena is scheduled to open before the 2017-18 season.

The team the next Blue Demons coach will inherit possesses a roster that was good enough to begin conference play 5-2. The nucleus of Billy Garrett Jr., Thomas Hamilton IV, Myke Henry and Rashaun Stimage gives the next coach more than Purnell had in 2011. But besides recruiting, DePaul's new coach must excel at teaching because Purnell's players too seldom progressed.

Look what Providence did in hiring Ed Cooley, a longtime Boston College assistant who succeeded in his first head-coaching job at Fairfield. The Friars have made the NCAAs in two of Cooley's first four years. He was 42 when he took the job. DePaul would be wise to follow a similar model.

Manhattan coach Steve Masiello, 37, for example, helped sign three top-10 recruiting classes in six years at Louisville before taking over his own program, which copies coach Rick Pitino's unrelenting, attacking 94-foot game. The Jaspers play a distinctive style. Masiello also navigated Chicago well enough to land former Morgan Park star Wayne Blackshear for Louisville, where a mutual friend introduced him to Casey Urlacher and his older brother Brian. Masiello and the Urlachers remain friends, with Brian labeling Masiello "a stud'' when asked about him Monday.

Buffalo coach Bobby Hurley wouldn't come with Urlacher's endorsement but with a Duke pedigree and the kind of quick Mid-American Conference success John Groce converted into the Illinois job. Valparaiso's Bryce Drew, Green Bay's Brian Wardle and LaSalle's John Giannini — all candidates according to a source — offer the right mix of experience and ambition. In a fluid process, other names could emerge with no connection to DePaul's past but a solid plan for its future. What mid-major NCAA coach will go on a run?

The Blue Demons stayed home from the NCAA tournament for the 11th straight year, but Chicago is well-represented in the 68-team field. It's up to Lenti Ponsetto, ideally with some help, to find a coach who finally gives elite prospects in America's worst major-college basketball city a reason to stay home.

Goose85
03-17-2015, 11:50 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-haugh-depaul-spt-0317-20150316-column.html

DePaul Needs a Young, Energetic Coach Who Can Establish Identity by David Haugh

The Blue Demons stayed home from the NCAA tournament for the 11th straight year, but Chicago is well-represented in the 68-team field.

Wow, now that is a drought. Unless I missed it, there are no schools from the state of Illinois in the big dance for the second straight year.
This year there are 5 teams from Indiana and 3 from Iowa. The Big East sent 6 of 10.

No reason, actually crazy, that a school in Chicago that had a basketball tradition (although you need to be my age now to remember), and plays in a top level conference has not been to the dance for 11 years. I really don't think those outside of DePaul thought they would with Purnell either.

You don't need the city talent to be successful at DePaul (may be more trouble than it is worth), but if DePaul lands a really good young coach as the headline suggests (who is also in large part - salesman), the term sleeping giant might very well fit.

MU88
03-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Well, the Chicago teams, UIC, Loyola, Northwestern and DePaul, have exactly 7 trips to the NCAAs combined since 1990. The teams are a combined 1-7, with the only victory being DePaul's first round win over Dayton in 2004. Maybe its not so easy to win in Chicago.

MUBasketball
03-17-2015, 12:15 PM
I'm starting to think Bryce Drew should be the guy. From the area, son of a coach, great player. If he's anything like his brother he'll be a home run for DePaul.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-17-2015, 12:19 PM
Chicago cares about it's college sports as much as Iowa cares about it's professional sports.

I don't want to see DePaul become good - I realize I may be in the minority and understand the argument on the other side of the coin.

TheSultan
03-17-2015, 12:22 PM
I'm starting to think Bryce Drew should be the guy. From the area, son of a coach, great player. If he's anything like his brother he'll be a home run for DePaul.

Some Valpo people would tell you that he is a better coach than his father.

MUBasketball
03-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Some Valpo people would tell you that he is a better coach than his father.

The Horizon League final with Green Bay was impressive. Their defense looked excellent.

Goose85
03-17-2015, 12:42 PM
Well, the Chicago teams, UIC, Loyola, Northwestern and DePaul, have exactly 7 trips to the NCAAs combined since 1990. The teams are a combined 1-7, with the only victory being DePaul's first round win over Dayton in 2004. Maybe its not so easy to win in Chicago.

Not just Chicago, but the entire state. Illinois, Illinois State, Northern Illinois, Western Ill, Eastern Ill, Southern Ill, Bradley, etc. In what is supposed to be such a good hoop state (Chicago area, Peoria) the place is ripe for the picking if you get a really personable and good young coach at Depaul.

TheSultan
03-17-2015, 12:50 PM
Not just Chicago, but the entire state. Illinois, Illinois State, Northern Illinois, Western Ill, Eastern Ill, Southern Ill, Bradley, etc. In what is supposed to be such a good hoop state (Chicago area, Peoria) the place is ripe for the picking if you get a really personable and good young coach at Depaul.

There are 13 NCAA D1 schools in Illinois. These schools are in the following conferences: Big East, Big Ten, MVC, Horizon, MAC, Ohio Valley, WAC and Summit.

Last year, 251 players came from the state of Illinois. Yet for the second year in a row, no team made the NCAA Tournament.

MUBasketball
03-20-2015, 09:18 AM
This.

http://highschoolcubenews.com/2015/03/14/henricksen-hey-depaul-put-red-blue-bryce-drew/

TheSultan
03-20-2015, 09:44 AM
This.

http://highschoolcubenews.com/2015/03/14/henricksen-hey-depaul-put-red-blue-bryce-drew/

I am convinced. High energy, connections to the Chicago area, former NBA guy, very successful at Valpo...(more successful than his dad or brother were.)

MU88
03-20-2015, 10:34 AM
For some reason, I don't think Drew would take the job. I also don't get the feeling the Hurley would take the job, either. DePaul has tried high major coaches (Kennedy and Purnell), a mid-major coach (Jerry) and an assistant (DL), all to no avail. The one thing in common is that none of those guys appear to have been DePaul's first choice. I believe that DePaul needs a personality to build the interest level in the program up, along with a guy who is going to recruit the type of kid that DePaul needs to be successful. DePaul is a commuter college with a ton of part time students in the middle of a major city. They are not Marquette or Georgetown or Villanova. They need to take inner city kids and maybe some academic risks. When DePaul wins, they get kids Q, Lance Williams, etc. They started losing when guys like Sam Cassell were refused entry into the school. Joey paid for it. They relaxed the criteria for Fat Pat and started winning again. Upped it for DL and talent level started decreasing. So, he ends up skipping town. In keep with the higher academic standards the school wanted, JW recruited the suburbs, and the talent fell further. I don't think Purnell appreciated how far the school has fallen in the mind of Chicagoans.

03-20-2015, 10:46 AM
DePaul needs their version of what Tom Crean was for Marquette. I don't think Crean would go there himself, though he would be a good fit and isn't too old, but someone who can energize the students and fanbase, recruit at a fairly high level, and win. Right now, DePaul is clearly not a trendy name, so they need someone who, like Crean, can spot the three-star studs that others overlook (like Wade and Oladipo).

That's why I think JLP may be more of a problem in this search than a problem-solver. She may have missed top targets, but ultimately settled on two coaches that couldn't succeed in Wainwright and Purnell. I don't believe she will get the Bryce Drew, Bobby Hurley, or other young, energetic type of coach the program needs. If they do go with someone young, it will likely be someone who hasn't proven they can succeed like Rod Strickland, Mark Aguirre, or Tyrone Corbin. Maybe they could work, but that just feels like settling on someone who will take the job because of their DePaul roots. More likely, it ends up being another retread with the best case scenario being a guy like Ben Howland who other programs have been avoiding like he has Ebola.

MU/Panther
03-20-2015, 10:49 AM
How about Ben Howland?

MUBasketball
03-20-2015, 10:57 AM
Don't let Drew turn it down. Sweeten the pot. Regardless, if he turns it down, fine. But I think he should be their top choice. Fits all the criteria.

Not sure why he would turn it down anyway. His brother left Valpo to take over at Baylor after the Patrick Dennehy/Carlton Dotson/Dave Bliss mess.

MUBasketball
03-20-2015, 10:58 AM
How about Ben Howland?

As others have noted, if he's so eager to get into coaching, why does he still not have a job? Plus, no ties to the midwest at all. Getting up there in age. That SI piece on his UCLA tenure probably isn't helping his cause.

MU/Panther
03-20-2015, 11:19 AM
Hard for me to get juiced about anyone of the Drews.

Litehouse
03-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Are there any bigger jobs Bryce Drew would have his eye on? Maybe Indiana? Would he rather stick around Valpo for another year or two to have a shot at IU if Crean moves on?

MU88
03-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Don't let Drew turn it down. Sweeten the pot. Regardless, if he turns it down, fine. But I think he should be their top choice. Fits all the criteria.

Not sure why he would turn it down anyway. His brother left Valpo to take over at Baylor after the Patrick Dennehy/Carlton Dotson/Dave Bliss mess.

Homer had other opportunities too. In fact, he took at least one other job, but backed out and ended up staying at Valpo. Scott left Valpo for Baylor, but he has stayed there for years, despite being mentioned with a number of job openings. Waco isn't exactly paradise and he could earn more other places. And yet, he stays at Baylor. So, I don't think Drew is going to leaving for anywhere, unless everything is in place to win.

Crean would be a bad fit at DePaul. I don't think he would have as much recruiting success there as he did at MU and Indiana. DePaul is more like Iowa State than Indiana in terms of the types of player it needs to recruit. Crean doesn't recruit that kind of player. TJ Otzelberer would be a good choice. He pretty much recruited most of the Iowa State roster, before leaving to coach at Washington. He is a midwest guy with lots of recruiting connections in the midwest and at Jucos. But, I don't get the impression DePaul wants to build a program like Iowa State (transfers, JUCOs and academic risks), they want to be like Villanova and Georgetown. Trouble is, DePaul is a school that seriously considered offering associate's degrees just a few short years ago. It is not a preeminent academic institution. It is a big commuter college and it needs to recruit accordingly.

DCwarrior
03-20-2015, 11:35 AM
Are there any bigger jobs Bryce Drew would have his eye on? Maybe Indiana? Would he rather stick around Valpo for another year or two to have a shot at IU if Crean moves on?

That was my thought. He would certainly be on their short list of candidates when Crean leaves (likely after next year unless they really improve and have no more off-court issues). He could also be in line for the Purdue job if Painter jumps ship this off-season.

Goose85
03-20-2015, 11:53 AM

Just look at Tom Crean / Mike Davis at Indiana. If I'm Bryce Drew I pick DePaul over Indiana.

Indiana makes the NCAA tourney this year, but the season is still not up to par (despite a much harder conference schedule than most). Multiple Indiana fans give crap to Crean's kid at his own game. Adults giving crap to the coaches kid who is just trying to play ball. That's ridiculous, but that is life at Indiana.

At DePaul, make the NCAA tourney and you are big news. Build a contender in the Big East and you are a big dog in Chicago.

I'm more a city guy, so I also give more weight to living in a city over a college town. Live in Chicago and coach DePaul where you would be honored for making the tourney, or live in Bloomington Indiana, and get crap even in some years where you make the NCAA tourney and were ranked during the season.

MU/Panther
03-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Scott Drew was only the head coach at Valpo for one year.

unclejohn
03-20-2015, 01:00 PM
Scott Drew was only the head coach at Valpo for one year.

Yes, but he was on his father's staff for a long time as the coach in waiting. The religious angle is a big deal with the Drews. Scott took the Baylor job because they practically begged him to. Someone had to clean up the mess after the Dave Bliss scandal. I thought he would have been a great choice for Marquette when Crean left, but then he got a rep as slimy at Baylor.

03-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Both Adam Zagoria and Roy Schmidt reporting on Twitter that the job is basically Ben Howland's to turn down.

IWB
03-20-2015, 02:15 PM
Had heard that from a few people early on, and those two are about as credible sources as you will find. (Three if you count Bulls-Eye as two people).

Howland is a good coach and I'm sure he would win there, but as someone said above, that isn't the answer. You need someone to come in with their hair on fire and light the place up. Howland will recruit and coach, but you need to rebuild that fan base in a hurry, and winning will take time.

Mucrisco
03-20-2015, 02:44 PM
Along with Hurley, I would look at Andy Toole, Steve Masiello, and Brad Underwood.

03-20-2015, 02:53 PM
The problem with Howland is also how he would likely play. Yes, he showed the ability to play up-tempo at UCLA, but I think that was largely in response to criticism from their fanbase. If he takes over DePaul, he'll likely slow it down and try to win grind-it-out games. It will work, I'm sure he'll win some with it, but it won't be appealing to the eyes. It will take at least 2-3 years before he can really start winning there, I'd imagine, and watching a losing slow-down program won't win many new fans. He'd be a terrible hire. Maybe not the kind that would set the program back like Wainwright and Purnell did, but more likely the kind that would just have the program stagnating for a decade.

MU/Panther
03-20-2015, 03:04 PM
Many wanted Howland the coach at Marquette. This would be a solid hire for DePaul.

Goose85
03-20-2015, 03:12 PM
In Howland's last year he won the Pac 12 title and went to NCAA tourney. Also took team to final fours.

I think there were some issues beyond wins and losses that resulted in him getting let go at UCLA.

It sure won't hurt the conference is DePaul becomes a decent team in the future.

Mucrisco
03-20-2015, 03:16 PM
The problem with Howland is also how he would likely play. Yes, he showed the ability to play up-tempo at UCLA, but I think that was largely in response to criticism from their fanbase. If he takes over DePaul, he'll likely slow it down and try to win grind-it-out games. It will work, I'm sure he'll win some with it, but it won't be appealing to the eyes. It will take at least 2-3 years before he can really start winning there, I'd imagine, and watching a losing slow-down program won't win many new fans. He'd be a terrible hire. Maybe not the kind that would set the program back like Wainwright and Purnell did, but more likely the kind that would just have the program stagnating for a decade.

I'd agree with this. They need a coach who has an exciting style of basketball that will attract city kids from Chicago.

Mucrisco
03-20-2015, 03:18 PM
I am having a discussion with my buddy on how Depaul is not committed to their men's basketball program. He is citing the new stadium to show that they are. Can someone recount the story how someone was talking to a Depaul administrator and how they refuse to do it the Marquette way?

03-20-2015, 03:42 PM
I am having a discussion with my buddy on how Depaul is not committed to their men's basketball program. He is citing the new stadium to show that they are. Can someone recount the story how someone was talking to a Depaul administrator and how they refuse to do it the Marquette way?

Check your PMs, Crisco.

unclejohn
03-20-2015, 03:56 PM
In Howland's last year he won the Pac 12 title and went to NCAA tourney. Also took team to final fours.

I think there were some issues beyond wins and losses that resulted in him getting let go at UCLA.

It sure won't hurt the conference is DePaul becomes a decent team in the future.

Yeah, you have to look at Howland's record and wonder why he doesn't have a job. I got the definite impression when he was in the hunt last year that a lot of people did not like him. Maybe that does not matter so much when you are trying to turn a program around, but I was glad we did not hire him.

03-20-2015, 04:13 PM
He burned a ton of recruiting bridges and the SI story gave the impression that he ran a thuggish, lawless program. Stories from guys like Carlino and Holiday have destroyed his reputation.

Howland can coach basketball, but he ran an abysmal program and allowed his players to be terrorized by their teammates. He just seems like a terrible person that not only recruits a number of low character kids but doesn't enforce any rules when they do drugs, physically assault each other, or urinate on their teammates' belongings. If DePaul hires him, they deserve exactly the type of despicable program they will get.

WarriorOMalley82
03-20-2015, 08:04 PM

I have said that where Depaul has gotten into trouble was not really the AD's fault, but a lack of commitment from the administration. People do not understand how close MU came to having the very same problem. When Hank was quietly pushed upstairs to allow Rick Majerus to become coach, he was not pleased, but because he was a great man he went with very little push back. The problems came when Rick realized the landscape had changed and he needed a much bigger budget. He went to Hank, the AD at the time who did not see any reason Rick " couldn't do things the way we had always done them". Rick was not able to get top assistants, was not able to recruit other than Chicago and Wisc., Chicago was locked up at that time with DePaul and Lou Henson at Illinois getting most of the top talent. When Rick left the administration would not pay for a top coach( although supposedly there were many interested), we ended up with the piano player. Without a change at the top we would never have been able to bounce back and we might now be the equivalent of Loyola Chicago.

The administration at DePaul, MIGHT now be changing, but rest assured they knew they were not giving the AD the needed funds to compete in top men's basketball. So for those that say she has been a train wreck I can only say that if the administration thought they had given her the proper support they would have gotten rid of her a long time ago. I will reprint a post I made a long time ago as to what some reasons may have been for their lack of concern. I do believe that the support from the administration may be changing, so the pressure may now start to build.

I agree that is where she should put her time and effort into and be judged by, unless as is the case here her bosses do not provide the assets needed to do that job. The administration knows they are not allowing her to be successful in that area and for whatever reason they are ok with that decision. Depaul does not need basketball as a marketing tool, they are the largest Catholic university in the country, they are quite content being very well regarded and very well connected in the Chicago area. Where MU has always had an outsiders view from the Milwaukee powers and has been subjected to UW alums being in control of the city that is not the case for Depaul. U of I is just another university in Chicago not as well connected as Depaul alums or at best on equal terms, all this is to say that basketball is no where near as important to Depaul as it is to MU, and Depaul Administrations will not pay the dollars needed to be good and they know that and understand that they are sacrificing Jean to that extent.

MUMac
03-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Many wanted Howland the coach at Marquette. This would be a solid hire for DePaul.

Many people vote for awful politicians, as well. I would not use that as an argument that it would be a good hire.

MU/Panther
03-20-2015, 09:47 PM
Many people vote for awful politicians, as well. I would not use that as an argument that it would be a good hire.
True, but...I'm not talking about politics.

Gato78
03-20-2015, 09:49 PM
I know WarriorO'Malley knows what is going on at a DePaul. If that is how the DePaul admins feel, they shouldn't be in the BIG EAST. They should be in the MVC or Horizon.

MUMac
03-20-2015, 10:18 PM
True, but...I'm not talking about politics.

Doesn't matter what you are talking about, quite honestly. Most of the "people" you cited have no real clue as to if Howland is the right choice or not. I gave an appropriate analogy. If you do not understand that, that is your problem. I could care less who wanted Howland and who did not Only those involved in the process (your disregarded) matter.

MU/Panther
03-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Doesn't matter what you are talking about, quite honestly. Most of the "people" you cited have no real clue as to if Howland is the right choice or not. I gave an appropriate analogy. If you do not understand that, that is your problem. I could care less who wanted Howland and who did not Only those involved in the process (your disregarded) matter.
Watch you tone. You are way out of line. People are just giving there random thoughts, nobody is giving facts. People I cited, what people. If you can't talk to people with respect, stay off this site!

03-21-2015, 12:38 AM
Howland isn't out at UCLA because he didn't win. He's out because he ran a terrible program and fostered a vicious culture of terror. Ask Matt Carlino if Marquette should have hired Ben Howland. The reason no one has hired him is because no one wants to play for him.

He would probably win some at DePaul but he would be an awful hire and would have been an awful hire here.

MUBasketball
03-21-2015, 12:53 AM
Howland isn't out at UCLA because he didn't win. He's out because he ran a terrible program and fostered a vicious culture of terror. Ask Matt Carlino if Marquette should have hired Ben Howland. The reason no one has hired him is because no one wants to play for him.

He would probably win some at DePaul but he would be an awful hire and would have been an awful hire here.

Strong.

MUBasketball
03-21-2015, 09:56 PM
WindyCityBasketball ‏@WndyCtyBsktball 12m12 minutes ago

Have heard DePaul may be moving off of Ben Howland now and pursuing Bobby Hurley.

03-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Lord I hope so.

MUBasketball
03-21-2015, 10:06 PM
I'm sure most people on here saw this earlier today, but I'll post for those who didn't:

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN · 10h 10 hours ago
Names expected to be in equation for DePaul: Ty Corbin, Ben Howland, Bryce Drew, source told ESPN. D-2 coach Linc Darner darkhorse candidate
DePaul also considering Buffalo coach Bobby Hurley, source told ESPN.

Totally random, but a response to Goodman's tweet that I found hilarious:

Drew Mayhew ‏@remaxkingston 10h10 hours ago
@GoodmanESPN What is a Linc Darner? #dpubb

milkbone
03-22-2015, 07:00 AM
Info on Darner

.As a collegiate player, Darner was a four-year letterman for coach Gene Keady at Purdue University, where the Boilermakers went 82-42 in his career (1990-94) and earned three NCAA Tournament bids. He was the first player under Keady to be named a team captain twice, and was a teammate of future NBA #1 draft pick Glenn Robinson, and current Purdue head coach Matt Painter. In 1991, following his freshman year at Purdue, Darner played in the United States Olympic Festival where he helped the North team to a gold medal.

TheSultan
03-22-2015, 08:03 AM
Darner has been a very successful coach at the D2 level. I think he would be considered an up and comer, but DePaul is probably above his level right now. I think if DePaul goes with Bryce Drew, Darner would be a natural at Valpo.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-22-2015, 02:09 PM
WindyCityBasketball ‏@WndyCtyBsktball 12m12 minutes ago

Have heard DePaul may be moving off of Ben Howland now and pursuing Bobby Hurley.

That's who Id go after if I'm Depaul.

Nukem2
03-22-2015, 02:18 PM
That's who Id go after if I'm Depaul.
Hard to see him at DePaul. Then again, Buffalo is not exactly a destination.

MU/Panther
03-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Ben Howland being linked to Mississippi State job.

MUBasketball
03-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Schmidt brothers confirm:

Have been told by a source who would surely know that Bobby Hurley is now DePaul's top target for the HC opening there.

TheSultan
03-22-2015, 04:36 PM
So did Howland decide to go elsewhere? Maybe this explains why Rick Ray was abruptly let go yesterday.

03-22-2015, 04:52 PM
So did Howland decide to go elsewhere? Maybe this explains why Rick Ray was abruptly let go yesterday.

Or maybe there wasn't real interest in Howland. Interesting how since taking a job in the media, Howland is the first name mentioned for every high major job out there. Wouldn't surprise me if he's putting his own name out there.

MUBasketball
03-22-2015, 05:25 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=12539192&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2Fndc s4InmPG%22%7D

MU/Panther
03-22-2015, 05:32 PM
It funny nbcsports.com is first to report on many things. Who knew.

MUBasketball
03-23-2015, 10:23 AM
"@thekapman: What I’m hearing on coaching front: DePaul likes Bryce Drew a lot, also considering Dave Leitao again, Howland closing in on deal at Miss St"

TheSultan
03-23-2015, 10:43 AM
"@thekapman: What I’m hearing on coaching front: DePaul likes Bryce Drew a lot, also considering Dave Leitao again, Howland closing in on deal at Miss St"

:rolleyes: ...cmon DePaul...

Markedman
03-23-2015, 10:55 AM
RT @GoodmanESPN: Ben Howland has reached a verbal agreement to become the Mississippi State coach,

MUBasketball
03-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Roy Schmidt:

OK--let's cut thru the BS--I don't know if Bobby Hurley gets the DePaul job but I DO know he is definitely interested.

mufan2003
03-23-2015, 01:21 PM
:rolleyes: ...cmon DePaul...

If this would happen (is Dave Leitao even coaching?), are there any bylaws allowing the other 9 Big East schools to hold a vote and boot DePaul out of the conference :D.

CaribouJim
03-23-2015, 02:06 PM
Ex-DePaul Player Stephen Howard has Ideas to Fix DePaul...seems like a smart dude, but don't agree with him...

http://chicago.suntimes.com/colleges/7/71/458611/former-star-stephen-howard-ideas-fix-depaul

MU grad and Sun-Times columnist on DePaul coaching situation...

http://chicago.suntimes.com/colleges/7/71/458605/depaul-memories-stay-fans-dont

MUBasketball
03-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Sooo, gotta be Hurley right?

Roy Schmidt:
And there you go--Bryce Drew will return to Valpo. No surprise there. Things playing out at DePaul exactly as I expected.

MU88
03-23-2015, 03:59 PM
I can see Hurley taking the job. Buffalo isn't going to pay well and Hurley probably needs the cash. He lost his horse farm to foreclosure a few years ago. So, he probably blew his NBA earnings already. But, Hurley has used the Iowa State formula to turn around Buffalo, albeit, not to the same extent. Hence, if DePaul does go in that direction, I think its a signal that they want a quick turnaround, no matter the perception.

TheSultan
03-23-2015, 04:10 PM
Hurley was an assistant coach for his brother for one year at Wagner, and another at URI, and has been head coach at Buffalo for two years. I didn't realize his resume was that thin.

His brother was a high school head coach for ten years, head coach for two years at Wagner, and three at URI. That seems to be a better background.

MUBasketball
03-23-2015, 04:27 PM
Hurley was an assistant coach for his brother for one year at Wagner, and another at URI, and has been head coach at Buffalo for two years. I didn't realize his resume was that thin.

His brother was a high school head coach for ten years, head coach for two years at Wagner, and three at URI. That seems to be a better background.

Definitely a thin resume but this is an instance where it's worth the risk in my opinion. When you factor in his accomplishments as a player for Coach K, father's continued success as a high school coaching legend in the NE, brother's success turning around two programs (Wagner & Rhode Island), as well as Bobby's success at Buffalo in two years - I think this is a safe bet.

Goose85
03-23-2015, 04:50 PM
I'm sure Hurley has a ton of east coast connections, still has name recognition / played in the League, etc.

You take the east coast connections, go to Chicago at Depaul and can tell east coast kids you will be playing in the Big East. At The Garden every year.
Add that to the talent in Chicago and the lure of a new facility. I think Hurley could do very well at DePaul.

Sound from reading about Buffalo his team did well. Grab an older assistant or a guy with Illinois ties and he could do very well.

I understand the thin resume, but lack of coaching hasn't seemed to hurt Steve Kerr with the Warriors.

IrwinFletcher
03-23-2015, 06:56 PM
Hurley has a player coming to Buffalo next year from suburban Chicago (Geneva) so he obviously is not void of recruiting ties to Chicago. He might even get this kid to flip to DePaul, though he is likely better suited to the MAC as opposed to the BE.

TedBaxter
03-23-2015, 07:14 PM
I still wonder if Michael White from Louisiana Tech is someone they want to contact. Tech is still in the NIT. White's father, Kevin, is a long time AD with one of the stops being Notre Dame. One of Michael White's brother is AD at the University of Buffalo.

03-23-2015, 08:45 PM
If Hurley goes to DePaul I imagine one time Marquette target Maurice O'Field might join him there.

MulliganMusings
03-24-2015, 09:45 AM
Have seen Bobby Hurley's name connected with the Fordham opening. Not sure which job is a bigger coaching graveyard Fordham or DePaul. That said if you were to achieve success, at either location (and success is relative since they are both in putrid condition), it would open doors for far larger positions. That said he could easily project from Buffalo as well so he might just want to stay there. It's interesting that Bobby didn't follow the Dawkins-Collins-Wojo-Capel path of assisting under Coach K and has pretty much struck out on his own (albeit with an assist from his brother for whom he served as an assistant). As for Danny Hurley, my guess is that he's keeping his eye on what happens at Seton Hall as IIRC it's his alma mater.

TheSultan
03-24-2015, 09:49 AM
Have seen Bobby Hurley's name connected with the Fordham opening. Not sure which job is a bigger coaching graveyard Fordham or DePaul. That said if you were to achieve success, at either location (and success is relative since they are both in putrid condition), it would open doors for far larger positions. That said he could easily project from Buffalo as well so he might just want to stay there. It's interesting that Bobby didn't follow the Dawkins-Collins-Wojo-Capel path of assisting under Coach K and has pretty much struck out on his own (albeit with an assist from his brother for whom he served as an assistant). As for Danny Hurley, my guess is that he's keeping his eye on what happens at Seton Hall as IIRC it's his alma mater.

DePaul is a dumpster fire...but it looks like paradise compared to Fordham. Fordham is a complete non-entity in college basketball.

03-24-2015, 10:01 AM
DePaul looks very fixable. New arena coming, fertile recruiting ground, major conference. The only problem is whether you have enough institutional support (which is significant). Worth the risk if you believe the administration will give you the tools to succeed.

Litehouse
03-24-2015, 10:35 AM

Hurley might do better at Fordham with his local connections. He could probably get a steady pipeline of NJ and NYC talent to stick around and be successfully at that level. I'm guessing he didn't have to go the Coach K assistant route because he had plenty of connections through his family. However, DePaul could eventually be a final destination job if he's successful, while Fordham probably is not.

MUBasketball
03-24-2015, 12:09 PM
http://zagsblog.com/articles/sources-steve-lavins-future-at-st-johns-in-doubt/

IF Lavin is given the boot, perhaps that hinders DePaul's ability to lock up Hurley (if he's their top candidate)? I would think DePaul can't wait if Hurley wants to see what happens with St. John's first. If the Schmidt brothers are right and Drew is staying at Valpo, suddenly DePaul is whiffing on some of their top targets.

Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

TheSultan
03-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Hurley might do better at Fordham with his local connections. He could probably get a steady pipeline of NJ and NYC talent to stick around and be successfully at that level. I'm guessing he didn't have to go the Coach K assistant route because he had plenty of connections through his family. However, DePaul could eventually be a final destination job if he's successful, while Fordham probably is not.

If given a choice between staying at Buffalo, or going to Fordham, he's going to stay at Buffalo.

Fordham is a complete disaster of a program. They have had something like one winning season since joining the A10, despite having hired a former NBA coach (Bob Hill) and two up and coming mid major coaches (Dereck Whittenberg and Tom Pecora).

MUBasketball
03-24-2015, 06:25 PM
What an f'ing joke (if true):

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 43m43 minutes ago

Mississippi State moves quickly. DePaul doesn't. Been told by multiple sources that they haven't conducted any interviews yet.

AlexJesswein
03-24-2015, 06:38 PM
What an f'ing joke (if true):

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 43m43 minutes ago

Mississippi State moves quickly. DePaul doesn't. Been told by multiple sources that they haven't conducted any interviews yet.

Maybe an assistant on a team in the tournament...Kenny Payne?

Markedman
03-24-2015, 09:51 PM
I saw 2 tweets tonight...1 said "sources" say Drew is top candidate......the 2nd said Hurley is the top candidate....

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-24-2015, 09:57 PM
I saw 2 tweets tonight...1 said "sources" say Drew is top candidate......the 2nd said Hurley is the top candidate....

Either would be great hires imo and would be my top two choices. Not sure which I like more though.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-24-2015, 09:58 PM
Maybe an assistant on a team in the tournament...Kenny Payne?

this name is starting to fly around Chicago rumor mills, I know nothing about him

03-24-2015, 10:08 PM

So clearly Ben Howland doesn't know who they want.

AlexJesswein
03-24-2015, 11:34 PM
a third name I've heard is Steve Masiello along with Hurley and Drew.

milkbone
03-25-2015, 08:07 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12553903/bobby-hurley-buffalo-bulls-front-runner-depaul-blue-demons-job

Gato78
03-25-2015, 08:33 AM
Hurley gets extension at Buffalo per Andy Katz. What is DePaul doing?

MayorBeluga
03-25-2015, 08:50 AM
Hurley gets extension at Buffalo per Andy Katz. What is DePaul doing?

Until DePaul proves otherwise, it's best to assume they'll screw this up. History teaches us one thing: DePaul gotta be DePaul.

TedBaxter
03-25-2015, 08:53 AM
They did hire the Parker Search Firm, so they'll be OK. This was sarcasm.

TheSultan
03-25-2015, 08:55 AM
I still am not sold on Hurley so they may have dodged a bullet here.

MU/Panther
03-25-2015, 09:05 AM
Hurley gets extension at Buffalo per Andy Katz. What is DePaul doing?Just heard this on Sirius XM. I was thinking the same thing. What's next? Drew from Valpo.

Litehouse
03-25-2015, 09:12 AM
FWIW, this was posted 2 pages ago...

"Roy Schmidt:
And there you go--Bryce Drew will return to Valpo. No surprise there. Things playing out at DePaul exactly as I expected."

milkbone
03-25-2015, 09:16 AM
Maybe DePaul is waiting to see if Jerry W. will come out of retirement

TheSultan
03-25-2015, 09:26 AM
Just heard this on Sirius XM. I was thinking the same thing. What's next? Drew from Valpo.

Goodman is now saying that he hasn't signed the extension and intends to interview at DePaul. Really if Hurley is doing this to force DePaul's hands, I would back peddle pretty damn quick.

warriorfan4life
03-25-2015, 10:06 AM
Goodman is now saying that he hasn't signed the extension and intends to interview at DePaul. Really if Hurley is doing this to force DePaul's hands, I would back peddle pretty damn quick.

I take the opposite view, that Hurley wants to make sure that DePaul will no longer be a clown show operation if he commits to them. He has a nice fall back plan in place at Buffalo, and can afford to not jump on the first opportunity. I would not blame Hurley for wanting to expedite the process, as you want to either get started with the process at DePaul or continuing build the program he is currently working for.

TheSultan
03-25-2015, 10:14 AM
If Hurley agreed to an extension with Buffalo, but has that signed that agreement to leverage a DePaul offer, I would not find him to be a coach interested in the long term development of the DePaul program and I would want nothing to do with him.

There are plenty of one-hit-wonder coaches along the side of the road. (Keno Davis...Stan Heath...) IMO for as much of a clusterf*ck as DePaul is, Hurley needs them more than vice versa. It's not as though he is a guaranteed, no brainer hire.

warriorfan4life
03-25-2015, 10:17 AM
If Hurley agreed to an extension with Buffalo, but has that signed that agreement to leverage a DePaul offer, I would not find him to be a coach interested in the long term development of the DePaul program and I would want nothing to do with him.

There are plenty of one-hit-wonder coaches along the side of the road. (Keno Davis...Stan Heath...) IMO for as much of a clusterf*ck as DePaul is, Hurley needs them more than vice versa. It's not as though he is a guaranteed, no brainer hire.

Hurley returns the core of a really good team at Buffalo and has a couple of nice additions coming in. A year from now, he could have far betters offers then DePaul.

BTW, Keno Davis is at Central Michigan and they lost in the MAC title game to Buffalo. Even with the unmitigated disaster that was his Providence run, he still landed on his feet at a MAC program.

TheSultan
03-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Hurley returns the core of a really good team at Buffalo and has a couple of nice additions coming in. A year from now, he could have far betters offers then DePaul.

And if I were DePaul, I would tell him to enjoy his next season there. If Buffalo made an offer, and he merely took it under consideration, that's one thing. But if Hurley "verbally agreed" to an offer, but didn't sign it to force DePaul's hand, he isn't trustworthy. No thanks.

MU88
03-25-2015, 10:40 AM
Keno Davis has turned Central Michigan around after leaving PC, so he has gone two out of three. Haith, while not a star, did get USF in the NCAAs, which a major accomplishment. He also got Arkansas into the tourney, two years in a row right before being fired. Add that to his run at Kent State, and I think he has had a decent, albeit not great, career.

Not everyone fits every job. Altman was pretty much a bust at Kansas State, but won at Creighton and now, Oregon. Granted, some guys win can every stop, Pitino and Callipari for example, but others need to fit the position. I think most coaches bust as some schools for two reasons, they are not equipped to get the top talent needed to step up (McDermott at ISU) or down a level, or the lack of institutional support handcuffs the coach (Purnell at DePaul). Very few bad coaches end up heading D-1 programs.

To me, Hurley is a bad fit for DePaul. DePaul seems to want to win, but they want the coach to recruit four year, student-athletes. They don't seem to want to take path Fat Pat took them on (questionable academic kids, one and dones, etc). However, that is what Hurley has been at Buffalo, a kind of ISU light. I am not saying Hurley's approach won't turn DePaul around. I think it could/will. But, I think Hurley's approach is going to generate disputes within the university about the direction of the bball program, just like Buzz and Willliams/Pilarz. If it happens, I don't see this marriage having a happy ending.

Goose85
03-25-2015, 11:50 AM
Keno Davis has turned Central Michigan around after leaving PC, so he has gone two out of three. Haith, while not a star, did get USF in the NCAAs, which a major accomplishment. He also got Arkansas into the tourney, two years in a row right before being fired. Add that to his run at Kent State, and I think he has had a decent, albeit not great, career.

Not everyone fits every job. Altman was pretty much a bust at Kansas State, but won at Creighton and now, Oregon.

Good point. I'm sure the New England Patriots are happy they took a chance on a guy that busted in his previous head coaching gig.

milkbone
03-26-2015, 07:41 AM
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/03/24/sources-bryce-drew-is-depauls-top-target/

Goose85
03-26-2015, 08:19 AM
Zagsblog indicates Hurley is scheduled for an interview.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/bobby-hurley-bryce-drew-to-interview-for-depaul-job/

MUBasketball
03-26-2015, 08:33 AM
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/03/24/sources-bryce-drew-is-depauls-top-target/

Interesting. There doesn't seem to be a consensus about who DePaul's top target is.

I try not to jump to conclusions since there's always stuff going on behind the scenes that us regular joe's don't know about, but why in the hell has Ponsetto not interviewed Drew and/or Hurley yet? Especially Drew, he's right down the road from Chicago.

03-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Zagsblog indicates Hurley is scheduled for an interview.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/bobby-hurley-bryce-drew-to-interview-for-depaul-job/

I hope DePaul does get both Hurley and Drew in, but am I the only one that found it hilarious that "Ben Howland, who this week took the Mississippi State job, wasn’t interested in the Big East school." Again, Howland trying to put out PR spin to make it look like he was the best candidate for every job ever and that any job that didn't hire him was apparently beneath him. If DPU had been interested, Howland would have walked over hot coals to Chicago in a tutu to get that job. To get any HM job. He took Mississippi State because they were the first job to actually show reciprocal interest.

Nukem2
03-26-2015, 09:22 AM
I hope DePaul does get both Hurley and Drew in, but am I the only one that found it hilarious that "Ben Howland, who this week took the Mississippi State job, wasn’t interested in the Big East school." Again, Howland trying to put out PR spin to make it look like he was the best candidate for every job ever and that any job that didn't hire him was apparently beneath him. If DPU had been interested, Howland would have walked over hot coals to Chicago in a tutu to get that job. To get any HM job. He took Mississippi State because they were the first job to actually show reciprocal interest.
Yeah. Starkville, MS is a long stretch going from LA ( or to Chicago ).

03-26-2015, 09:25 AM
Arizona State has reached out to Bobby Hurley. WTF is DePaul waiting for? This feels like one of those situations where they will wait and wait to settle on a candidate and by the time they decide, the best, most experienced guy on the market will be Oliver Purnell. Just a sad state of affairs down there.

79warrior
03-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Arizona State has reached out to Bobby Hurley. WTF is DePaul waiting for? This feels like one of those situations where they will wait and wait to settle on a candidate and by the time they decide, the best, most experienced guy on the market will be Oliver Purnell. Just a sad state of affairs down there.

How do you know thay have not spoken? You know how it works. nobody talks till it's over. That's how it goes, ours was the same last year.

03-26-2015, 09:46 AM
Spoken yes but no actual interviews yet. The longer they wait to actually get people in the more time they give to other programs to swoop in. The same thing led to them settling on Purnell the last time. I'm not going to believe DePaul is handling things well until they prove they are capable of it, and the more smoke of mismanagement, the more it looks like there's fire. Like a dumpster fire.

Litehouse
03-26-2015, 02:38 PM

Yeah, I thought that was funny too. Their "source" for that info must have been Ben Howland.

Markedman
03-26-2015, 05:18 PM
So am I the only 1 who finds this bizarre?.....@phillipshoops: Marcus LoVett is planning to unofficially visit DePaul and UIC in the next few days, per Nick Irvin.

TheSultan
03-26-2015, 05:31 PM
That Lovett news makes me think Jerrance Howard.

03-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Guessing either LoVett knows who they expect to hire, or maybe JLP is hoping that putting LoVett on the search committee will help them land a top-100 recruit.

Markedman
03-26-2015, 06:18 PM
I read someplace that Billy Garrett Sr. is still on staff and handling his recruitment. Not sure if that means Garrett has been promised a job on the new staff? IF I was Lovett(or his dad) no way I'm spending time on a visit until anew coach is officially in place.....although it is pretty easy for him to make the drive.......;)

TedBaxter
03-26-2015, 06:24 PM
That Lovett news makes me think Jerrance Howard.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12317527/kansas-jayhawks-assistant-jerrance-howard-suspended-two-weeks-2014-marijuana-charge

TheSultan
03-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Oh yeah. Forgot about that. Markedman makes more sense anyway.

Markedman
03-27-2015, 06:01 PM
@WeAreDePaul: Bryce Drew & Bobby Hurley will both interview for the DePaul head coaching position this weekend. #dpubb #depaul

MUBasketball
03-27-2015, 09:11 PM
@WeAreDePaul: Bryce Drew & Bobby Hurley will both interview for the DePaul head coaching position this weekend. #dpubb #depaul

Hire one of the two by Sunday and be done with it. Both will do a great job there I think.

MU/Panther
03-27-2015, 10:08 PM
Hire one of the two by Sunday and be done with it. Both will do a great job there I think.
Which one would you pick?

MUBasketball
03-27-2015, 10:33 PM
I'm torn on it. I think the Hurley name resonates and his resume is impressive (Duke, national champion, NBA experience, etc). But, I think Drew might be the perfect fit there (and his resume certainly isn't lacking either).

MUBasketball
03-27-2015, 10:45 PM
Reporter for 670 The Score. No idea how reliable he is:

Chris Emma ‏@CEmma670 3h3 hours ago
Sources say DePaul could have its coach as soon as Sunday, with Bryce Drew still the favorite. Bobby Hurley a strong candidate, too.

But, Tim Doyle says this:

Tim Doyle ‏@TimDoyle00 9h9 hours ago
Lavin to DePaul. Book it

Mucrisco
03-27-2015, 10:54 PM
Personally, I hope it's Drew. Bobby Hurley was my idol. The guy was a competitor and a gym rat. Isn't he still the assists leader? Guy got the most out of his body. So, I don't want him to go to the graveyard that is Depaul.

RJax55
03-27-2015, 11:36 PM

Sources say DePaul could have its coach as soon as Sunday, with Bryce Drew still the favorite. Bobby Hurley a strong candidate, too.

But, Tim Doyle says this:

Tim Doyle ‏@TimDoyle00 9h9 hours ago
Lavin to DePaul. Book it

Tim Doyle is a clown. Take anything he says with a large grain of salt.

MUBasketball
03-27-2015, 11:56 PM
Tim Doyle is a clown. Take anything he says with a large grain of salt.

I figured the guy is a reputable since he's a hoops guy on TV but maybe not. Found it a little hard to believe.

IrwinFletcher
03-28-2015, 06:29 AM

He's not reliable at all.

He's my nephew.:cool:

TheSultan
03-28-2015, 07:47 AM
I'm torn on it. I think the Hurley name resonates and his resume is impressive (Duke, national champion, NBA experience, etc). But, I think Drew might be the perfect fit there (and his resume certainly isn't lacking either).

Drew has been coaching longer, has been successful, and knows the Chicago landscape. Hurley's thin coaching resume bothers me. He just seems like a Keno Davis type who turns one good year into a high major gig without the experience necessary.

Drew is a former NBA guy too.

03-28-2015, 07:56 AM
Drew has been coaching longer, has been successful, and knows the Chicago landscape. Hurley's thin coaching resume bothers me. He just seems like a Keno Davis type who turns one good year into a high major gig without the experience necessary.

Drew is a former NBA guy too.

Hurley makes for great storylines, both with Wojo and if Danny gets the St. John's job. But I definitely agree that Drew is the safer hire, if they can get him away from Valpo.

TheSultan
03-28-2015, 07:59 AM
Hurley makes for great storylines, both with Wojo and if Danny gets the St. John's job. But I definitely agree that Drew is the safer hire, if they can get him away from Valpo.

Valpo is a nice program, but if DePaul can't get Drew away from there, its in a bigger world of hurt than even I imagined. Nowhere near the resources of a Big East school.

03-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Valpo is a nice program, but if DePaul can't get Drew away from there, its in a bigger world of hurt than even I imagined. Nowhere near the resources of a Big East school.

I have no idea what Bryce Drew makes. I'm sure DePaul can outpay Valpo, but he is a folk hero there. Depends on his priorities, I guess. Valpo people seem to think he's staying, so it's possible the DePaul interview is a leverage for another extension (he got extensions in 2012 and 2013).

TheSultan
03-28-2015, 12:42 PM
I have no idea what Bryce Drew makes. I'm sure DePaul can outpay Valpo, but he is a folk hero there. Depends on his priorities, I guess. Valpo people seem to think he's staying, so it's possible the DePaul interview is a leverage for another extension (he got extensions in 2012 and 2013).

Drew makes about $300k per year according to Valpo's tax returns.

MUBasketball
03-28-2015, 09:02 PM
MY. DEAR. GOD.

Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 4m4 minutes ago

DePaul brought in Tulsa assistant Dave Leitao and is seriously considering hiring back the former head coach, multiple sources told ESPN.

TheSultan
03-28-2015, 09:11 PM
MY. DEAR. GOD.

Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 4m4 minutes ago

DePaul brought in Tulsa assistant Dave Leitao and is seriously considering hiring back the former head coach, multiple sources told ESPN.

Roy Schmidt is so flabbergasted that he is wondering if they want him back as an assistant.

The Reptile
03-28-2015, 10:12 PM
This earns a huge WTF.

MUBasketball
03-28-2015, 10:17 PM
Unreal. Two good coaches who apparently want the job, and they'll hire an ole retread again?

He must be selling them on the fact that he was their last successful coach, and last to take them to the Big Dance. He knows what it takes to win there, blah blah.

03-29-2015, 11:56 AM
@prepbullseye: Hearing Bryce Drew declined DePaul's initial offer. Bobby Hurley mustn't have been offered at all based on my prior intel. What happens now?

TheSultan
03-29-2015, 11:58 AM
@prepbullseye: Hearing Bryce Drew declined DePaul's initial offer. Bobby Hurley mustn't have been offered at all based on my prior intel. What happens now?

Seriously DePaul...cmon...you can't close on a mid-major guy from the same metropolitan area that makes about $300k?

03-29-2015, 12:00 PM
My guess is it's not the money but proving commitment to the coach and program. Purnell didn't put in the effort, but I hear also didn't have the resources to succeed.

MUBasketball
03-29-2015, 12:15 PM
Kick these bums out of the conference if they can't get the HC at Buffalo or Valpo offering a reported $2 million ballpark salary.

TheSultan
03-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Perhaps Drew is hearing from other openings as well. (Tennessee for instance.)

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Wow... I'm speechless

@prepbullseye: JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I'M EVEN TYPING THIS--Dave Leitao is going to return as the next HC of the DePaul Blue Demons.

MUBasketball
03-29-2015, 01:13 PM
What an embarrassment

03-29-2015, 01:20 PM
DePaul is seriously an embarrassment.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-29-2015, 01:29 PM
Unbelievable

IWB
03-29-2015, 01:29 PM
If that isn't grounds to fire Jean Lenti Ponsetto than nothing it. What a joke.

TedBaxter
03-29-2015, 01:39 PM
http://www.depaulbluedemons.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031715aaa.html

Was this a front?

IrwinFletcher
03-29-2015, 01:40 PM
If that is true, I wonder what Garret and Hamilton do. I could see them picking up and leaving.

TheSultan
03-29-2015, 01:48 PM
http://www.depaulbluedemons.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031715aaa.html

Was this a front?

You can hire a search firm to do all sorts of things. Background checks for instance.

TedBaxter
03-29-2015, 01:52 PM
Waste of money as they've missed on some background checks from what I can remember. Not a fan of Parker,

TheSultan
03-29-2015, 01:55 PM
Waste of money as they've missed on some background checks from what I can remember. Not a fan of Parker,

I have never worked with them, but they can only do so much. The administration is the problem here. Roy Schmidt is alluding that this is to land a player. My guess it its LoVett. My other guess is that Leitao has agreed to hold onto the assistant coach that handled his recruitment.

03-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Sounds like Garrett was handling the LoVett recruitment. Maybe hiring Leitao ensures they keep Billy Jr and land LoVett? If so that is monumentally stupid. You don't hire a recruit for 1/2 players, you hire them for the program.

MUBasketball
03-29-2015, 02:13 PM
I can picture that blue blob in the office, finalizing the deal. Organizes her papers, tucks them under her arm with a huge grin on her fat face thinking "yup, nailed it!".

03-29-2015, 02:17 PM
Here's what I suspect...

It was reported that Bryce Drew turned down the initial DePaul offer. I don't think it was money, so what else? Well, Marcus LoVett is on campus this weekend. Billy Garrett Sr is handling his recruitment.

Supposedly DePaul feels they have a lot at stake with LoVett. If Drew wanted all his own assistants, DePaul might lose not only Garrett Sr, but Garrett Jr and LoVett.

So instead, they hire Leitao, who they already know on past history will put up with their crap, he keeps Garrett, they keep their roster and prized recruit (not that LoVett is much of a prize).

That's my guess.

jpvegas52
03-29-2015, 07:59 PM
Here's what I suspect...

It was reported that Bryce Drew turned down the initial DePaul offer. I don't think it was money, so what else? Well, Marcus LoVett is on campus this weekend. Billy Garrett Sr is handling his recruitment.

Supposedly DePaul feels they have a lot at stake with LoVett. If Drew wanted all his own assistants, DePaul might lose not only Garrett Sr, but Garrett Jr and LoVett.

So instead, they hire Leitao, who they already know on past history will put up with their crap, he keeps Garrett, they keep their roster and prized recruit (not that LoVett is much of a prize).

That's my guess.

According to Jon Rothstein, Bobby Hurley turned down DePaul because he felt the committment (financial/resources) was not sufficient to compete at the top level of the Big East. Oh, and Leito was the only person interviewed that was willing to retain Garrett on the staff.

MU/Panther
03-29-2015, 08:28 PM
Brian Wardle would be a solid hire. He knows how to work with low budgets at Green Bay.

mutpm
03-29-2015, 08:57 PM
I think Wardle would have been a good hire for DePaul, but if Wardle ever wants the Marquette job, he would not take that job.

unclejohn
03-29-2015, 09:26 PM
Brian Wardle would be a solid hire. He knows how to work with low budgets at Green Bay.

Yeah, and that's one reason he is now at Bradley.

MulliganMusings
03-30-2015, 06:22 AM
I wonder if people still think Dayton would be a bad addition to the Big East? I would be happy to take Dayton over the current iteration of DePaul.

03-30-2015, 06:46 AM
I wonder if people still think Dayton would be a bad addition to the Big East? I would be happy to take Dayton over the current iteration of DePaul.

Maybe we could offer DePaul, a home and home series for each A10 team, and Fordham's choice of any one Big East assistant in exchange for Dayton?

Goose85
03-30-2015, 09:19 AM

They play in Chicago, that means a lot of tv sets.

DePaul needs some type of momentum heading into their new arena, and I'm not sure this is the coach to do it.

You have to wonder what the administration at DePaul is doing. *Are they so restricting the AD from a financial commitment to the program standpoint that this is the best the AD can do? *

I could just see this - AD to Administration: I've got two really good candidates, Drew and Hurley. *They both want this $$$ salary and a recruiting budget of $$$. *

Admin to AD: Don't you know we are building a new facility, we don't have that kind of money. Remember when we were in the NCAA a decade or so ago? I heard things haven't worked out so well for him after he left, see if he would come back for $ and no change to the recruiting budget.

Could it be that the Administration is fine spending less and letting the AD take all the heat in exchange for her keeping her job and not complaining?

Mucrisco
03-30-2015, 10:52 AM
They play in Chicago, that means a lot of tv sets.

DePaul needs some type of momentum heading into their new arena, and I'm not sure this is the coach to do it.

You have to wonder what the administration at DePaul is doing. *Are they so restricting the AD from a financial commitment to the program standpoint that this is the best the AD can do? *

I could just see this - AD to Administration: I've got two really good candidates, Drew and Hurley. *They both want this $$$ salary and a recruiting budget of $$$. *

Admin to AD: Don't you know we are building a new facility, we don't have that kind of money. Remember when we were in the NCAA a decade or so ago? I heard things haven't worked out so well for him after he left, see if he would come back for $ and no change to the recruiting budget.

Could it be that the Administration is fine spending less and letting the AD take all the heat in exchange for her keeping her job and not complaining?
This is on honest question: How much does that matter?

What I mean is, do advertisers just look at the market size to determine what they are going to spend? Or, do they look at TV ratings? Our FS1 numbers are not good and I don't think people in Chicago are watching the Big East due to Depaul. On the other hand, the potential for them to watch due to Depaul is there.

Goose85
03-30-2015, 11:01 AM
This is on honest question: How much does that matter?

What I mean is, do advertisers just look at the market size to determine what they are going to spend? Or, do they look at TV ratings? Our FS1 numbers are not good and I don't think people in Chicago are watching the Big East due to Depaul. On the other hand, the potential for them to watch due to Depaul is there.

Why did the Big 10 want Rutgers? Rutgers increases the amount the BTN can get cable / dish companies to pay / charge customers each month for the BTN in the New York, New Jersey area. If you can go from $.10 per month to $1.00 per month for each cable / dish subscriber that is big money, even if Rutgers never wins a Big 10 title.

I'm not sure Fox has the same setup, but if DePaul and St. John's became very good again, could Fox increase the monthly charge to cable companies for Fox sports?

If DePaul were to improve, that could immediately add viewers in a big market, same with St. John's.
If Dayton were to be in the Big East, and they improved to the point they were an annual tourney team, is there a big upside for Fox?

IrwinFletcher
03-30-2015, 05:25 PM
I believe that the BTN and FS1 operate differently. You are talking about a network (FS1) giving a conference a contract for x $'s to televise their games.

The other (BTN) is a network owned by the conference that gets the $'s direct for the carriers and therefore there is no contract between the network and conference.

TheSultan
03-30-2015, 07:28 PM
I believe that the BTN and FS1 operate differently. You are talking about a network (FS1) giving a conference a contract for x $'s to televise their games.

The other (BTN) is a network owned by the conference that gets the $'s direct for the carriers and therefore there is no contract between the network and conference.

Fox owns 51% of the BTN and handles all of its operations.

IrwinFletcher
03-30-2015, 08:31 PM
Fox owns 51% of the BTN and handles all of its operations.

That is fine, but it is still two different scenarios.

When Rutgers joined the Big 10ish, the BTN was added to the cable/satellite packages for residents in the area. So subscribers saw their costs go up a dime (or a quarter or a dollar, whatever it was). In turn, a portion of that revenue to the cable/satellite companies was paid out to the BTN. And when you are talking 10 million households, thats a lot of money.

The FS1 contract with the BE (or the ESPN contract with the ACC) is a dollar fee for a certain amount of time paid to the conferences for televising those events.

If you want a more detailed explanation, maybe we can get Chicos over here to do a better job than i do.

TheSultan
03-30-2015, 08:42 PM
No I understand what you are saying. Thanks.

Goose85
03-30-2015, 09:14 PM
But these networks charge a certain amount to each cable provider, wasn't there a dispute between AT&T and Fox that prevented the Big East conference tourney from being shown locally?

May be a different setup, but each network does do their own deals with providers, so Fox may be able to command more if Chicagoans are interested in the Big East product. Doesn't mean more for the Big East, but it could mean more to Fox in fees charged and advertisements.

ziggysfryboy
03-30-2015, 09:56 PM
That is fine, but it is still two different scenarios.

When Rutgers joined the Big 10ish, the BTN was added to the cable/satellite packages for residents in the area. So subscribers saw their costs go up a dime (or a quarter or a dollar, whatever it was). In turn, a portion of that revenue to the cable/satellite companies was paid out to the BTN. And when you are talking 10 million households, thats a lot of money.

The FS1 contract with the BE (or the ESPN contract with the ACC) is a dollar fee for a certain amount of time paid to the conferences for televising those events.

If you want a more detailed explanation, maybe we can get Chicos over here to do a better job than i do.

For the love of God, no.

IrwinFletcher
03-31-2015, 05:02 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/jon-greenberg/post/_/id/715/depauls-leitao-hire-not-forward-thinking

Not a complimentary article on the Leitao hiring.