PDA

View Full Version : Zagsblog on MU - Future is Bright

Goose85
03-13-2015, 08:48 AM
As expected, Zagsblog is all over the Big East. Here is an article on MU

http://zagsblog.com/articles/despite-loss-future-is-bright-for-marquette-with-loaded-recruiting-class/#more-130660

IrwinFletcher
03-13-2015, 09:20 AM
As excited as I am about next year's squad, I have tempered my enthusiasm about the team's success after watching the BE tourney and looking to see what other teams lose and who is coming back.

STJ loses everything and DePaul is just bad. Creighton will likely struggle too. But just about everyone else has key players coming back and/or top recruits coming in.

Villanova, Georgetown, Butler and Providence should lead the pack. MU, X and Seton Hall (assuming they get their act cleaned up) will battle it out for the middle of the pack.

Its going to be another tough conference next year with the likelihood of getting 6 invites to the Dance.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-13-2015, 09:36 AM
As excited as I am about next year's squad, I have tempered my enthusiasm about the team's success after watching the BE tourney and looking to see what other teams lose and who is coming back.

STJ loses everything and DePaul is just bad. Creighton will likely struggle too. But just about everyone else has key players coming back and/or top recruits coming in.

Villanova, Georgetown, Butler and Providence should lead the pack. MU, X and Seton Hall (assuming they get their act cleaned up) will battle it out for the middle of the pack.

Its going to be another tough conference next year with the likelihood of getting 6 invites to the Dance.

I think Villanova and Georgetown are the two at the top. Nova adds 5-star Brunson and returns most of their team while the Hoyas have a star in DSR and lots of young talent that should blossom next year.

After that I think it's a bit more open. Butler and Xavier lose significant pieces, but bring back enough to make the Dance. Providence will lose Henton and could also lose Dunn, they have young talent, but I see them in the middle of the pack unless Dunn stays. I'd put Marquette in this group, the 3-6 teams that are scrapping for bids.

St. John's and Creighton both lose a ton, I don't trust the powder keg Willard has put together at SHU at all, and DePaul, despite their 5-2 start, is apparently still DePaul. They may bring everyone back, but if Melvin & Young couldn't get to the NIT why will Garrett & Hamilton be any different?

IrwinFletcher
03-13-2015, 10:20 AM
I think Henton should have been voted the Conference Player of the Year. Kid is a stud who works so hard. That will prove to be a big loss for Providence.

warriorfan4life
03-13-2015, 10:50 AM
I think Villanova and Georgetown are the two at the top. Nova adds 5-star Brunson and returns most of their team while the Hoyas have a star in DSR and lots of young talent that should blossom next year.

After that I think it's a bit more open. Butler and Xavier lose significant pieces, but bring back enough to make the Dance. Providence will lose Henton and could also lose Dunn, they have young talent, but I see them in the middle of the pack unless Dunn stays. I'd put Marquette in this group, the 3-6 teams that are scrapping for bids.

St. John's and Creighton both lose a ton, I don't trust the powder keg Willard has put together at SHU at all, and DePaul, despite their 5-2 start, is apparently still DePaul. They may bring everyone back, but if Melvin & Young couldn't get to the NIT why will Garrett & Hamilton be any different?

I think Creighton is in that second tier of teams. Their two best players on the roster (Maurice Watson and Cole Huff) were sitting out this year as transfers, and they return some other nice pieces with Milliken, Hegner, Zierden (if he can just stay healthy), and a couple of serviceable type bigs (Groselle, Hanson). If 1-2 of their freshmen (RS frosh Ronnie Harrell, Justin Patton, Marlon Stewart, Khyri Thomas, or Martin Krampelj) can be a consistent part of their rotation, they should gave a solid, deep group. Do not believe that they will be a top 25 team, but it would not surprise me if they return to the NCAA's.

03-13-2015, 11:02 AM
I totally forgot about Watson. He should be a stud for them.

Phantom Warrior
03-13-2015, 11:04 AM
I thought I read a couple of days ago that viewership on FS 1 was up 20% over a year ago. Don't remember if that was overall viewership or viewership for BE basketball.

TheSultan
03-13-2015, 11:10 AM
I thought I read a couple of days ago that viewership on FS 1 was up 20% over a year ago. Don't remember if that was overall viewership or viewership for BE basketball.

It was the NYT article. 20% more of something very small is still something small. Just pray that Fox gets more rights to add to its stable in the future, and be grateful it is a long term contract.

AlexJesswein
03-13-2015, 11:16 AM
**NOTE: Rankings based on Scout.com Only. Players 4* or higher are listed.**

Butler
OUT-Kameron Woods, Alex Barlow
IN: Tyler Lewis (Tr)

Creighton
OUT-Austin Chapman, Devin Brooks, Will Artino, Ricky Kreklow, Avery Dingman
IN: Maurice Watson (Tr), Cole Huff (Tr), Justin Patton (4*)

DePaul
OUT-Jamee Crockett, Greg Sequele, Forrest Robinson
IN: No Top 100 or Transfers

Georgetown
OUT: Josh Smith, Mikael Hopkins, Jabril Trawick, Aaron Bowen
IN: Akoy Agau (Tr), Jessie Govan (4*), Marcus Derrickson (4*)

Marquette
OUT: Derrick Wilson, Juan Anderson, Matt Carlino
IN: Wally Ellenson (Tr), Traci Carter (4*), Haanif Cheatham (4*), Henry Ellenson (5*), Matt Heldt (4*)

Providence
OUT: Carson Desrosiers, LaDonte Henton, Tyler Harris (Europe), Kris Dunn (NBA)
IN: No Transfer/Top 100

Seton Hall:
OUT: Haralds Karlis, Stephane Manga, Brandon Mobley, Isaiah Whitehead (NBA/Europe)

St John's
OUT: Jamal Branch, D'Angelo Harrison, Phil Greene, Dom Pointer, Rysheed Jordan (NBA), Chris Obekpa (NBA/Europe)
IN: Brandon Sampson (4*)

Villanova
OUT: Darrun Hilliard, JayVaughn Pinkston
IN: Jalen Brunson (5*), Donte Divincenzeo (4*)

Xavier
OUT: Dee Davis, Matt Stainbrook

AlexJesswein
03-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Based on the above--As of today, I would rank the teams as follows:

1. Villanova
2. Georgetown
3. Butler
4. Xavier
5. Marquette
6. Creighton
7. Providence
8. DePaul
9. Seton Hall
10. St. John's

kneelb4zerg
03-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Added Anim for MU.

Butler
OUT-Kameron Woods, Alex Barlow
IN: Tyler Lewis (Tr)

Creighton
OUT-Austin Chapman, Devin Brooks, Will Artino, Ricky Kreklow, Avery Dingman
IN: Maurice Watson (Tr), Cole Huff (Tr), Justin Patton (4*)

DePaul
OUT-Jamee Crockett, Greg Sequele, Forrest Robinson
IN: No Top 100 or Transfers

Georgetown
OUT: Josh Smith, Mikael Hopkins, Jabril Trawick, Aaron Bowne
IN: Akoy Agau (Tr), Jessie Govan (4*), Marcus Derrickson (4*)

Marquette
OUT: Derrick Wilson, Juan Anderson, Matt Carlino
IN: Wally Ellenson (Tr), Traci Carter (4*), Haanif Cheatham (4*), Henry Ellenson (5*), Matt Heldt (4*), Sacar Anim (4*)

Providence
OUT: Carson Desrosiers, LaDonte Henton, Tyler Harris (Europe), Kris Dunn (NBA)

Seton Hall:
OUT: Haralds Karlis, Stephane Manga, Brandon Mobley, Isaiah Whitehead (NBA/Europe)

St John's
OUT: Jamal Branch, D'Angelo Harrison, Phil Greene, Dom Pointer, Rysheed Jordan (NBA), Chris Obekpa (NBA/Europe)
IN: Brandon Sampson (4*)

Villanova
OUT: Darrun Hilliard, JayVaughn Pinkston
IN: Jalen Brunson (5*), Donte Divincenzeo (4*)

Xavier
OUT: Dee Davis, Matt Stainbrook

AlexJesswein
03-13-2015, 11:41 AM
Added Anim for MU.

Based it off Scout rankings only--If I included any ranking, there would be a few more.

IrwinFletcher
03-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks for doing that Alex. Nice recap.

Question. They guys you have in italics that might go to Europe or enter the draft, is that pure speculation or are these published rumors you have heard?

AlexJesswein
03-13-2015, 12:10 PM
Thanks for doing that Alex. Nice recap.

Question. They guys you have in italics that might go to Europe or enter the draft, is that pure speculation or are these published rumors you have heard?

Little bit of both

Nukem2
03-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Based on the above--As of today, I would rank the teams as follows:

1. Villanova
2. Georgetown
3. Butler
4. Xavier
5. Marquette
6. Creighton
7. Providence
8. DePaul
9. Seton Hall
10. St. John'sButler will really feel the loss of Woods and Barlow, who were Brad Stevens guys leaving only Jone and Dunham. Woods loss is difficult because he gave Butler height and length that will now be missing. He had 14 boards last night against X before fouling out. X really stuck it to Butler after that. Really think the Bulldogs are going to drop back over the next two seasons unless recruiting picks up. They will be missing Stevens impact then.

AlexJesswein
03-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Butler will really feel the loss of Woods and Barlow, who were Brad Stevens guys leaving only Jone and Dunham. Really think the Bulldogs are going to drop back over the next two seasons unless recruiting picks up.

Tyler Lewis was a McDonald's All American and will fit in to Butler's style of play much better than he did at NC State (team play vs. individual). With Kellen Dunham, Roosevelt Jones and Andrew Chrabascz back, I have a hard time seeing them struggle next year.

03-13-2015, 12:28 PM
Little bit of both

Harris at Providence has said he plans to go pro, Dunn is projected as a first round pick so seems likely. I don't think Jordan, Obekpa, or Whitehead would be well-served by declaring early, but that said, none of them going would surprise me. Shake my head at the idiocy? Sure. But surprise me? Not at all.

The Reptile
03-13-2015, 12:37 PM
Harris at Providence has said he plans to go pro, Dunn is projected as a first round pick so seems likely. I don't think Jordan, Obekpa, or Whitehead would be well-served by declaring early, but that said, none of them going would surprise me. Shake my head at the idiocy? Sure. But surprise me? Not at all.

There's always someone willing to win the Vander Blue Award for Premature (Draft) Declaration.

Nukem2
03-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Tyler Lewis was a McDonald's All American and will fit in to Butler's style of play much better than he did at NC State (team play vs. individual). With Kellen Dunham, Roosevelt Jones and Andrew Chrabascz back, I have a hard time seeing them struggle next year.
Said over the next 2 seasons. Will not be quite as good next year with more of a drop-off the following season without Jones and Dunham. Will be interesting to see how Butler does without Stevens' guys.

Lewis should be a nice replacement for Barlow, but Woods just has rebounding skills and length that can't be replaced next season.

MU/Panther
03-13-2015, 02:10 PM
I think Creighton is in that second tier of teams. Their two best players on the roster (Maurice Watson and Cole Huff) were sitting out this year as transfers, and they return some other nice pieces with Milliken, Hegner, Zierden (if he can just stay healthy), and a couple of serviceable type bigs (Groselle, Hanson). If 1-2 of their freshmen (RS frosh Ronnie Harrell, Justin Patton, Marlon Stewart, Khyri Thomas, or Martin Krampelj) can be a consistent part of their rotation, they should gave a solid, deep group. Do not believe that they will be a top 25 team, but it would not surprise me if they return to the NCAA's.Creighton might be an ncaa tourament team. They lost 8 games that were so close this season.

MU/Panther
03-13-2015, 02:19 PM
. They will be missing Stevens impact then.
You know Butler won before Stevens. Question should be will the new staff recruit at a Big East level.

Nukem2
03-13-2015, 03:13 PM
You know Butler won before Stevens. Question should be will the new staff recruit at a Big East level.
Yes they did, but Brad Stevens took it to an altogether much higher level. Prior to him, mostly winning the Horizon orwhatever and getting bounced in the first round with a couple of exceptions mgoing to the Sweet 16. So, it's really the same question. Btw, Chrabascz is also a Stevens recruit. Time will tell.

MU/Panther
03-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Let's not downgrade making the tournament or getting to the round of 32 or getting to sweet 16's, that silly. They did get at-large births as well out of the Horizon League. As I've said for two years, they will be fine! It's the "Butler Way"

Nukem2
03-13-2015, 03:56 PM
Let's not downgrade making the tournament or getting to the round of 32 or getting to sweet 16's, that silly. They did get at-large births as well out of the Horizon League. As I've said for two years, they will be fine! It's the "Butler Way"Let focus on the future, thats the topic here. Can Butler recruit well enough post-Stevens' recruits to be successful in the BE....?

TheSultan
03-13-2015, 03:59 PM
Let focus on the future, thats the topic here. Can Butler recruit well enough post-Stevens' recruits to be successful in the BE....?

Sure. What would prevent them from doing so? Good school. Nice basketball tradition. If the new coach can't do it, that's on the coach. Not Butler.

Goose85
03-13-2015, 04:14 PM
Being in the Big East sure helps.

MU/Panther
03-13-2015, 05:35 PM
Let focus on the future, thats the topic here. Can Butler recruit well enough post-Stevens' recruits to be successful in the BE....?

That is the future. That's the point. Butler has done it with different coaches Collier, Matta, Lickliter, Stevens, so there is no reason why that won't continue. Now, you add in that they are in the Big East, the "Soul of College Hoops" and FS1'S TV money.

unclejohn
03-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Yes they did, but Brad Stevens took it to an altogether much higher level. Prior to him, mostly winning the Horizon orwhatever and getting bounced in the first round with a couple of exceptions mgoing to the Sweet 16. So, it's really the same question. Btw, Chrabascz is also a Stevens recruit. Time will tell.

I take nothing away from Stevens, he is probably the best coach Butler has had. But they have had a succession of good coaches. Tournament performance is IMO very overrated. Of course it is impressive to reach the finals two years in a row, but so much depends on match-ups and luck. Look at the teams that make the Final Four. Most had some close games in early rounds. A bad bounce or an off day and they are gone. Or perhaps they run into Austin Croshere. The first year Butler made the final, they were about a 6 seed, and definitely survived some scares. They caught lightning in a bottle. The next year, they returned a veteran team, which helped. Still a major accomplishment, but other teams and other coaches could have done it with some luck. I do not know if it was as impressive as UConn finishing 9th in the Big East, then winning 11 in a row to win it all.

Starting shortly after Marquette and SLU left the MCC behind, Butler started taking basketball seriously. It helped that Xavier and Dayton jumped ship soon as well, and they were the biggest fish in a diminishing pond. But they won consistently. That is why they were coveted by the CAA. Before they were given an invite to the Big East, other schools gave them a complete look. They were only going to let in a private school with a commitment to playing basketball and competing at the highest level. Butler was. I have said it before. There are no easy outs in this conference. All the schools know that they have to be competitive for the conference to succeed, so they are all committed to doing it.

mufan2003
03-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Being in the Big East sure helps.

Agreed. If Holtmann cannot recruit like Stevens, he at least has the Big East to sell whereas Stevens had the Horizon league and A-10 for a year.