PDA

View Full Version : Senior Day

MUBasketball
03-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Did anybody else notice this?

Following Wednesday's matchup, the Golden Eagles will face DePaul on Saturday, March 7 at 1 p.m. CT when the team will celebrate Senior Day. Marquette will honor Juan Anderson, Matt Carlino and Derrick Wilson in a pregame ceremony.

Wojo must prefer pre-game as opposed to post-game. Probably for the best, win or lose people flock out usually once the game ends.

kneelb4zerg
03-04-2015, 10:24 AM
I like it.

AlexJesswein
03-04-2015, 10:24 AM
I'm a fan as well.

Mucrisco
03-04-2015, 10:25 AM
That stinks. I always loved how we did it, especially with the videos. You could hear the raw emotions from the players and coaches after a hard fought game.

MUfan12
03-04-2015, 10:31 AM
For the players sake, I'd rather they have more people there. I always hated how quickly the place cleared out, especially if MU lost.

Goose85
03-04-2015, 10:44 AM
When the season is rolling and fans are into it, post game is great. When you have a season like this one, if we are out of it with 5 min to go, the place will be a ghost town.
This season, I like the pregame idea.

Mucrisco
03-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Just to play devil's advocate, are people there in the pregame? Honest question because I'm usually one of the late arriving ones that you guys hate.

MUBasketball
03-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Just to play devil's advocate, are people there in the pregame? Honest question because I'm usually one of the late arriving ones that you guys hate.

Crisco, c'mon man, get to the seat on time! I'm notoriously anal about being in my seat early (15-20 mins to tip). You're certainly not alone though, plenty of late arrivers for games. Regardless, still will be more people in seats than if they do it post game (I would think, anyway).

Mucrisco
03-04-2015, 10:59 AM
I know. Sorry. Most of it is not my fault. I'm coming from practice, games. or workouts etc.

Mucrisco
03-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Just to play devil's advocate again, but Senior Day is more about the coach, the players, and the administration honoring the seniors and the seniors getting to address them. In the pre-game, the seniors have to worry about the game. In the post game, they get to talk more about what the players, coaches, and Marquette has meant to them.

MUBasketball
03-04-2015, 11:34 AM
I know. Sorry. Most of it is not my fault. I'm coming from practice, games. or workouts etc.

Understood, just busting your chops a bit! :cool:

MUBasketball
03-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Just to play devil's advocate again, but Senior Day is more about the coach, the players, and the administration honoring the seniors and the seniors getting to address them. In the pre-game, the seniors have to worry about the game. In the post game, they get to talk more about what the players, coaches, and Marquette has meant to them.

I prefer it after the game, but I think it makes the most sense to do it pre-game simply due to attendance.

Goose85
03-04-2015, 11:38 AM
I am only late when I have grade school coaching conflicts (which is why I love Sat evening games). Otherwise, we are normally in the stadium a few (10 min) early, drop our coats and walk around the concourse.

I get where you are coming from Crisco, but I think if we lose the place will be empty for the seniors after the game. I have really enjoyed Juan and Derrick (gotten to know them a bit through IWB's Pro-Am) and appreciate the work they have done for four years and how they have represented MU. I will be there to applaud them, but I get the impression from this and Doddsy's board that many fans don't share my sentiment.

Pregame this year - and see what happens next season and decide if it is pre or postgame.

Nukem2
03-04-2015, 11:41 AM
I prefer after the game too. But its rather disconcerting to have the ceremony after 80% of the BC becomes empty. Lots of schools do it before the game.

Also, will be interesting to see what the crowd turnout will be for this game given the season record, the opponent (DePaul) and that its the first day of Spring Break for the students who may not be all too interested in sticking around given that season record and the opponent. We shall see.

Mucrisco
03-04-2015, 11:43 AM
I am only late when I have grade school coaching conflicts (which is why I love Sat evening games). Otherwise, we are normally in the stadium a few (10 min) early, drop our coats and walk around the concourse.

I get where you are coming from Crisco, but I think if we lose the place will be empty for the seniors after the game. I have really enjoyed Juan and Derrick (gotten to know them a bit through IWB's Pro-Am) and appreciate the work they have done for four years and how they have represented MU. I will be there to applaud them, but I get the impression from this and Doddsy's board that many fans don't share my sentiment.

Pregame this year - and see what happens next season and decide if it is pre or postgame.

Yeah, I agree with you. I'm just giving the counter arguments.

Regarding the Sat evening games, we offered that as a suggestion when they put out that survey. That's probably when the Bucks play, huh?

MUwarrior1090
03-04-2015, 03:49 PM
I prefer postgame. Hopefully they revert to post game in following years when Marquette is better and we can expect more fans to stay.

IrwinFletcher
03-04-2015, 04:04 PM
I always felt bad for the players when the ceremony was beginning, thousands of people were filing out of the stadium. Just seemed disrespectful to the guys. With the struggles we have had the past two seasons, doing it before might be the way to do it. In spite of on the court issues JA and DW have had, we owe these two guys a lot for being upstanding guys. Wish I could make it to give them a standing O.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-04-2015, 05:22 PM
I talked to the ticket office today, they confirmed a 12:40 start for senior day festivities.

MUMac
03-04-2015, 05:59 PM
Bucks play at home that night. I remember the Georgetown game lasting long and then going OT. They were scrambling at the BC and the postgame broadcast was cut so Homer had to finish it via cell phone and they were not able to interview Wojo. I suspect that is a big reason for the change.

Mucrisco
03-04-2015, 10:47 PM
Crisco, c'mon man, get to the seat on time! I'm notoriously anal about being in my seat early (15-20 mins to tip). You're certainly not alone though, plenty of late arrivers for games. Regardless, still will be more people in seats than if they do it post game (I would think, anyway).

You'll be happy to hear that I was early for the game today.

IWB
03-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Bucks play at home Saturday night.

ziggysfryboy
03-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Jamil lott would have given MU a night game.

MUBasketball
03-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Jamil lott would have given MU a night game.

Haha!

Mid speech: "what's up baby?"

IWB
03-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Jamil finally got his chance to be featured on the court and he wasn't giving it up.

MUfan12
03-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Jamil finally got his chance to be featured on the court and he wasn't giving it up.

Ha! He's part of Senior Day lore for that speech.

I got to know Jamil a little bit through some mutual friends while we were in school. Really, really good dude. He's doing great work with at-risk kids in the Twin Cities now.

MU/Panther
03-05-2015, 03:15 PM
MU fans please be aware the Senior Day ceremony has been moved to pregame Saturday against DePaul. Please be in your seats at the*BMOHBC"BMO Harris Bradley Center*by 12:40 p.m. to help honor Juan, Matt and Derrick.