PDA

View Full Version : I am convinced about one thing

TheSultan
03-03-2015, 08:15 AM
When I look at college basketball today, to be a top 20 team you don't need to hit multiple "home run" classes. You need to get a couple doubles, a single or two, bunt the runner over....just don't string together a few strikeouts. The next class that Wojo puts together has to be solid, but it doesn't *need* to be a top 10 class. Just fill the holes that need filling with solid players.

Now to be elite, you have to get the home runs regularly. But that will take a few years.

IrwinFletcher
03-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Home Runs are nice, but Home Runs don't stay for 3-4 years. We are all excited about Henry coming to MU. But if he lives up to expectations and the hopes of us fans, he might be gone after 2 years to the NBA.

Wisconsin and Gonzaga are programs that don't hit Home Runs all the time but they find guys that fit their scheme, develop those guys and when they become upperclassmen, they really contribute. Nobody thought Kaminsky would turn out to be the guy he turned out to be and Dekker was certainly a big time catch, but some of their role players help them in the little things.

Wojo needs to develop JJJ, Cohen, Cheatham so that these guys can contribute and accent what the main guys are doing.

warriorfan4life
03-03-2015, 12:48 PM
Home Runs are nice, but Home Runs don't stay for 3-4 years. We are all excited about Henry coming to MU. But if he lives up to expectations and the hopes of us fans, he might be gone after 2 years to the NBA.

Wisconsin and Gonzaga are programs that don't hit Home Runs all the time but they find guys that fit their scheme, develop those guys and when they become upperclassmen, they really contribute. Nobody thought Kaminsky would turn out to be the guy he turned out to be and Dekker was certainly a big time catch, but some of their role players help them in the little things.

Wojo needs to develop JJJ, Cohen, Cheatham so that these guys can contribute and accent what the main guys are doing.

I think this is a prime example of what Matt Heldt will be. Also, I believe that Sam Hauser can be that type of contributor should he commit to Marquette.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Sometimes times bringing in too many highly rated guys can be a negative too, too many attitudes and egos can hurt a team, you need a good mixture of stars and solid role players. We have historically done really well with guys who have a chip on their shoulders, it doesn't seem like we have many guys who have that right now...

Markedman
03-03-2015, 07:08 PM
I think you need to have guys that are willing to work hard, improve their skills and wait their turn. Hopefully Sandy, Amin and Heldt start a trend of those kind of guys. Certainly Juan and Derrick waited but unfortunately they didn't improve enough to be difference makers.