PDA

View Full Version : This Team

Phantom Warrior
03-01-2015, 03:25 PM
It is really hard for me to watch this team.

The defense is atrocious.

There is no ball movement on offense and no player movement.

Rebounding: check these stats. MU has 8 defensive rebounds; Providence has 10 offensive rebounds.

This team has regressed significantly since the end of the non-conference portion of the season.

I can not wait for this season to be over. I have not felt this way about any MU team in decades.

The players look absolutely clueless on both ends of the court.

What happened to the team that somehow beat Georgia Tech, Tennessee, and Arizona State and was at least competitive against Wisconsin.

This team is not even competitive any more.

Nukem2
03-01-2015, 03:30 PM
What happened is that opponents have figured out the zone and this MU team has no answers given the seriously unbalanced roster with a lot of square pegs and round holes. The lack of any experienced size/length/girth is rather obvious. Buzz obviously knew what was south to happen.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-01-2015, 03:34 PM
Tough question but what amount of fault should be attributed to Wojo? Please don't say zero.

MU88
03-01-2015, 03:36 PM
What happened is that opponents have figured out the zone and this MU team has no answers given the seriously unbalanced roster with a lot of square pegs and round holes. The lack of any experienced size/length/girth is rather obvious. Buzz obviously knew what was south to happen.

Excuse. They simply do not appear to be well coached. Painful to watch.

Nukem2
03-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Excuse. They simply do not appear to be well coached. Painful to watch.

Not an excuse. The pieces don't fit and they don't complement each other. Also, the upperclassmen (other than Carlino's 3s when he is hot) have really not performed consistently or productively since earl in the BE conference season. A recipe for disaster.

MUfan12
03-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Tough question but what amount of fault should be attributed to Wojo? Please don't say zero.

The same percentage you'd assign to the Sixers coach. Can only do so much with the hand you've been dealt.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-01-2015, 04:58 PM
The same percentage you'd assign to the Sixers coach. Can only do so much with the hand you've been dealt.

Yeah I think I agree with you. I thiink some blame has to be put on Wojo, but not much.

Markedman
03-01-2015, 05:04 PM
I'll be able to evaluate the coach when we have a legitimate high major roster...

..I'm sure Wojo us going to be better a few years from now then he is today but when I watch this team play I don't think..."man if we only had a better coach".....we were terribly undersized before Juan got hurt...now it's almost comical. Derrick was in the post position on Friars free throw attempts late in the game today.....DERRICK!

We are boys against men this year.......it isn't fun but it is the truth

TheSultan
03-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Honestly I can't really tell how good a coach Wojo is right now. The team plays hard, but the roster is so incomplete that he can't really make many adjustments. As far as his performance as a game coach, I have to give him an "incomplete."

TulsaWarrior
03-01-2015, 05:36 PM
A bunch of fair weather fans.

Wojo will be more than fine. This undermanned team is finishing the season on fumes. Marquette's administration, not the old administration, made a decision to build for the long term. That means quality players who buy into Wojo's system, players who can and will perform on the court and in the classroom. The defections were extremely high during BW's run as head coach. The transition cost all but one member of the 2014 recruiting class and three hold overs who didn't like the new regime. What do you expect this season with eight strong or six strong at times? Wojo won a few games with gimmick defenses, Duane Wilson's gradual emergence and Fischer surprising opponents in his first few games. Carlino's concussion and Anderson's injury put extra wear and tear on the rest of the team and messed up a paper thin balance.

The best we have had and the best we really could have hoped for this season is enjoying moments that provided glimpses into the future. Duane Wilson and Luke Fischer are a heck of a core to build on. Listening to Wojo on the radio you can hear the intensity of the work he has been doing and the physical challenge that represents. Like the team he is worn down but not giving up -- during games, during practice or on the recruiting trail.

Ask yourself who would have been a better hire?

TheSultan
03-01-2015, 05:37 PM

Chicken littles maybe...but not fair weather fans.

TulsaWarrior
03-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Sultan I think that is a better characterization. ;)

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-01-2015, 05:42 PM
Marquette loses, PW freaks out about how terrible the team is. We get it. We all know it. It's an 8-man team with one big man, two seniors dealing with significant injuries of late, and a handful of kids.

Everyone in the league has seen and scouted us. Everyone knows our weaknesses and how to attack this team. With only 8 guys, Stone that are very limited (Derrick, Juan, Steve) what exactly is the staff supposed to do? At some point you just have to accept that the chicken crap is chicken crap and no amount of coaching will turn it into chicken divan.

Let Wojo get some players that fit his system and then we'll see what he can do. Until then, there's really no sense in freaking out (again and again and again) about what everyone already knows.

Phantom Warrior
03-01-2015, 06:13 PM
I still think the future of the program is bright, and I do think Wojo will turn the program around. But that is the future.

My comments related to the present - nothing more, nothing less. This team is awful - not mediocre, awful. How else do you describe a team that has lost, what, 11 of its last 12 games? The first five of those 11 losses were by 4, 3, 7 (overtime), 10, and 4 points - an average of 5.6 points per loss. The last seven losses were by 18, 20, 7, 11, 21, and 11 points - an average of 14.7 points per loss.

Yes, there are obvious reasons - and we have been through them numerous times. But the reasons (not excuses) don't change the fact that what we are witnessing on the court is difficult to watch, no, make that painful.

Fair weather fan? Nope. I still watch. I still hope. Chicken Little? Nope. I am confident better days/years are ahead. Freaking out? Nope. Just sharing/expressing my observations.

Disappointed? Yes. The Georgia Tech, Tennessee, and Arizona State wins fooled me into thinking we could be competitive throughout the year against most teams (not necessarily all).

The occasional productive games by Taylor, Johnson, Anderson, Cohen, Fisher fooled me into thinking they would/could become more consistent as the season progressed. That obviously has not been the case.

The bottom line for me, I guess, is admitting what I think has become evident to all. This team is not "mediocre." This team is awful.

And I will be glad when this season ends.

03-01-2015, 06:34 PM
I get the frustration. It's a tough season and the team looks tired, not just physically but mentally. The deficiencies in terms of scoring and rebounding can be glaring at times. But there are positives too. Duane looks like a star in the making. Jajuan has gone from completely lost to at least contributing. Fischer is a decent player. Not as good as Arizona State made him look but with some depth around him and some muscle he should be a solid Big East center.

This season has been difficult. I think we will all be glad to see a new wave of talent. I feel it's better to look at the upside rather than getting bogged down by all the negatives. I think it's better for the mental health.

The Reptile
03-01-2015, 06:38 PM
An 11 point loss on the road with the incomplete, short handed team we have is not all that much of a shock. Believing that this team could play better than its limitations is inconceivable (and I don't mean that in a Princess Bride sort of way either).

warriorfan4life
03-01-2015, 06:43 PM
The team played pretty well given the circumstances until the combination of heartbreaking losses, Carlino's concussion, and Juan's ankle injury piled up on us. The combination of added depth and added skill will really help next year's group start the process of returning the program to where it belongs.

MU88
03-01-2015, 06:57 PM

Actually, I thought at the time that Larry K would have been an excellent hire. He rebuilt Montana twice, coached in the NBA and has now turned around Utah. Wife is a Marquette grad too, I believe. Would have been a great fit in retrospect.

Look, I am not saying Wono won't eventually succeed, but right now, they are a mess on both sides of the ball. They have collapsed a number of times during the season, DePaul, Butler, etc. They are sloppy and often have problems running a play. Coaching has been one of the problems and to say it hasn't is sticking your head in the sand.

kneelb4zerg
03-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Actually, I thought at the time that Larry K would have been an excellent hire. He rebuilt Montana twice, coached in the NBA and has now turned around Utah. Wife is a Marquette grad too, I believe. Would have been a great fit in retrospect.

Look, I am not saying Wono won't eventually succeed, but right now, they are a mess on both sides of the ball. They have collapsed a number of times during the season, DePaul, Butler, etc. They are sloppy and often have problems running a play. Coaching has been one of the problems and to say it hasn't is sticking your head in the sand.

You have no way of knowing or basis for saying that coaching is a problem.

Nukem2
03-01-2015, 07:17 PM

First off, Krystowiak was not available. Secondly, sure one could ascribe some blame to the coaching. In the end, this is just an unbalanced incomplete roster, not to mention short-handed roster, that is probably burned out now. There are no real options beyond what is here. What else can the coaches do. Buzz always had an experience heavy roster, yet he still had a poor season with a ton of upper classmen last year.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-01-2015, 07:38 PM
You have no way of knowing or basis for saying that coaching is a problem.

Then by your logic, nobody can say that Wojo isn't a problem - which circles back to Sultan's comment of an incomplete grade which I think is a fair grade.

Wojo has had some positives and negatives, but like some have said I think it's too early to tell one way or the other on what type of a coach we have.

kneelb4zerg
03-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Then by your logic, nobody can say that Wojo isn't a problem - which circles back to Sultan's comment of an incomplete grade which I think is a fair grade.

That is what I mean.

Nukem2
03-01-2015, 07:52 PM

Wojo has had some positives and negatives, but like some have said I think it's too early to tell one way or the other on what type of a coach we have.
I think Wojo has been creative and on top of things. Given the hand he was dealt, I would give him a solid C+. An incomplete is unfair.

Nukem2
03-01-2015, 08:42 PM
This year, and next year to a large extent, is a rebuild. I said that last summer and still firmly believe that. Buzz dealt the program a difficult hand with his recruiting and subsequent departure. Just what it is. So this team is obviously not good, but to call it awful is disingenuous. Just so many missing and mis-fitting pieces along with the coaching change. I've never felt this team give up...struggle, very definitely....but the effort has always been there as we saw again today. Frustrating for sure...but keep the faith folks.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-01-2015, 08:44 PM
I think Wojo has been creative and on top of things. Given the hand he was dealt, I would give him a solid C+. An incomplete is unfair.

Unfair? I said incomplete because it's real tough to give him a grade.

But if you're forcing me to give him a grade Id go with a C.

kneelb4zerg
03-01-2015, 09:19 PM
The team sucks. Is it Wojo's fault? Even asking the question suggests the answer.

I know that there is plenty of basketball knowledge on this board, but it cracks me up when 'super fans' criticize the coach when things go wrong. Have you watched this team play? If only Wojo had coached them up better, he could have made up for the vast disparity in talent. Providence pushed us all over the court with their size and length. But it's Wojo's fault. Come on.

Nukem2
03-01-2015, 09:32 PM
The team sucks. Is it Wojo's fault? Even asking the question suggests the answer.

I know that there is plenty of basketball knowledge on this board, but it cracks me up when 'super fans' criticize the coach when things go wrong. Have you watched this team play? If only Wojo had coached them up better, he could have made up for the vast disparity in talent. Providence pushed us all over the court with their size and length. But it's Wojo's fault. Come on.
Agreed. Also, consider that MU beat Providence rather handily at the BC employing both a 2-3 and a 1-3-1 zone negating PCs superior size and length (remember that Carson DesRosiers was not on the bench that day). Today, PC has scouted those zones and Juan and Matt are coming off injuries and has home court advantage. What else can Wojo do? Just life with a short-handed and unbalanced roster.

Markedman
03-01-2015, 09:59 PM
PC shot 45% from the floor and 2-11 from 3.....the first shot defense wasn't bad....it was all the layups,dunks and fouls off of 2nd shots that killed MU. They rebounded 54% of their misses.....they had as many offensive rebounds as we had defensive rebounds.

They manhandled a weaker and smaller team......it had to be obvious to anyone who watched the game.

MUfan12
03-01-2015, 10:07 PM
They manhandled a weaker and smaller team......it had to be obvious to anyone who watched the game.

"But the coaching sucks. You just have your head buried in the sand." -MU88, probably

BLT
03-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Wojo hasn't even instituted his offense or base defense yet. Need to get a lot bigger quickly beyond the incoming freshmen.

pbiflyer
03-01-2015, 10:43 PM
So, why are we weaker. Most of the guys have had multiple years with the strength and conditioning coach. And obviously he has had some good success putting muscle on our guys in the past.
Was it just that Buzz had gotten skinnier guys the last couple of years?
It does seem Duane, JJJ have not gotten any more muscle (granted just viewing from TV land). \

Not complaining. Just curious.

MU88
03-01-2015, 10:55 PM
"But the coaching sucks. You just have your head buried in the sand." -MU88, probably

Nice misquote. In any event, questionable coaching decisions have plagued this team all year. It started early when we lost to a very bad UNO team, that was just drilled by Seattle. The team was eaten alive playing man, and finally went to a zone 2 games later. Two games. My gosh. The end of game collapses at DePaul, against Butler, etc. are disturbing. Well coached teams don't repeatedly panic in end of the game situations. Heck, they almost blew a 9 point lead in the final two minutes against Seton Hall. How about the second half collapse in the win against Creighton? No adjustments. Nothing. It was just painful to watch.

This is not an untalented team. Fisher, Taylor, Anderson, Duane Wilson, JJJ, and Cohen were all top 100 kids. Carlino was highly recruited too. This team is less talented than Deane's last team, which had Lovette miss most of the year with emotional issues, started a freshman point in Henry, and relied heavily on Nnamaka and Harris. Bargen as a senior and Wardle as a soph were good players, but the middle was manned by Mueller and Clausen. Polo played a significant role too. And yet, that talent challenged team played relatively good defense and could move the ball.

It doesn't take a rocket science to see this team has issues. Size is an issue. But, this team is no smaller than Buzz's first team. Having guys like Derrick Wilson and Carlino on the court is like playing with a hand tied behind your back. So, I don't blame Wojo for everything. However, to me, you have to hold the coaching somewhat responsible when one or more players run the wrong play out of a time out. Yes, players play. But, its the coaches job to make sure the players execute properly. Let's face it, they don't. In game adjustments have been slow or none existent. I have to admit I am bias. I hated the Phelps hire. He was a terrible bench coach at Drake. Just awful. He took a run and gun team that won 28 games and had almost everyone back, to a 17 win team that averaged 10 less points per game. I wonder how much Wojo is relying on Phelps for in game management.

Anyway, talent cures most issues and next year's team will be a bit more talented. So, I expect a better season next year. A team that should start 5 top hundred kids including a Mcdonald's AA should be .500 in the BE conference. If we end up below .500, you got start wondering.

03-01-2015, 11:15 PM
Oh not the "this is not an untalented team diatribe." Here too? This team is not talented enough. Rankings can clearly be wrong. Juan is a hard worker but not a great talent. Jajuan was massively overrated and is finally starting to play like a marginal D1 player. Taylor isn't a high level talent. Maybe of his knees hadn't broken down, but he looks more like a product of playing with other highly talented guys in HS.

This team is thin and under-talented. 3 of the 6 top-100 kids never lived up to their hype. Let's not forget Erik Williams and Jamail Jones were also top-100. Thus far Anderson, Taylor, and Johnson are more Williams and Jones than McNeal and Matthews. The other three look like first year guys, and considering they had a combined half season of D1 experience that's pretty much what they are.

Our talent level just isn't on par with the rest of the league. Hopefully the top-100 kids Wojo brings in are better than the ones Buzz left him with.

kneelb4zerg
03-01-2015, 11:27 PM
This post is ridiculous. You are a f-ing idiot.

Nice misquote. In any event, questionable coaching decisions have plagued this team all year. It started early when we lost to a very bad UNO team, that was just drilled by Seattle. The team was eaten alive playing man, and finally went to a zone 2 games later. Two games. My gosh. The end of game collapses at DePaul, against Butler, etc. are disturbing. Well coached teams don't repeatedly panic in end of the game situations. Heck, they almost blew a 9 point lead in the final two minutes against Seton Hall. How about the second half collapse in the win against Creighton? No adjustments. Nothing. It was just painful to watch.

This is not an untalented team. Fisher, Taylor, Anderson, Duane Wilson, JJJ, and Cohen were all top 100 kids. Carlino was highly recruited too. This team is less talented than Deane's last team, which had Lovette miss most of the year with emotional issues, started a freshman point in Henry, and relied heavily on Nnamaka and Harris. Bargen as a senior and Wardle as a soph were good players, but the middle was manned by Mueller and Clausen. Polo played a significant role too. And yet, that talent challenged team played relatively good defense and could move the ball.

It doesn't take a rocket science to see this team has issues. Size is an issue. But, this team is no smaller than Buzz's first team. Having guys like Derrick Wilson and Carlino on the court is like playing with a hand tied behind your back. So, I don't blame Wojo for everything. However, to me, you have to hold the coaching somewhat responsible when one or more players run the wrong play out of a time out. Yes, players play. But, its the coaches job to make sure the players execute properly. Let's face it, they don't. In game adjustments have been slow or none existent. I have to admit I am bias. I hated the Phelps hire. He was a terrible bench coach at Drake. Just awful. He took a run and gun team that won 28 games and had almost everyone back, to a 17 win team that averaged 10 less points per game. I wonder how much Wojo is relying on Phelps for in game management.

Anyway, talent cures most issues and next year's team will be a bit more talented. So, I expect a better season next year. A team that should start 5 top hundred kids including a Mcdonald's AA should be .500 in the BE conference. If we end up below .500, you got start wondering.

79warrior
03-02-2015, 12:11 AM
Oh not the "this is not an untalented team diatribe." Here too? This team is not talented enough. Rankings can clearly be wrong. Juan is a hard worker but not a great talent. Jajuan was massively overrated and odd finally starting to play like a marginal D1 player. Taylor isn't a high level talent. Maybe of his knees hasn't broken down, but he looks more like a product of playing with other highly talented guys in HS.

This team is thin and under-talented. 3 of the 6 top-100 kids never lived up to their hype. Let's not forget Erik Williams and Jamail Jones were also top-100. Thus far Anderson, Taylor, and Johnson are more Williams and Jones than McNeal and Matthews. The other three look like first year guys, and considering they had a combined half season of D1 experience that's pretty much what they are.

Our talent level just isn't on par with the rest of the league. Hopefully the top-100 kids Wojo brings in are better than the ones Buzz left him with.

Agree with your comments. I don't care what the player rankings were, it is not showing up in their play. Duane is the real deal. JJJ Is an enigma and Sandy has a lot to learn. With so many freshmen coming in, next year will be challenging, but I think we will be improved from this years extremely low bar.

As far as Wojo is concerned, he is doing his best with what he has. To blame him is absurd. There was a reason Buzz barely played JJJ and STJ. Hard to believe this is really a team, as the parts don't fit. Wojo will get it done.

The Reptile
03-02-2015, 07:55 AM
We are undersized, under manned and, according to some, untalented. Why are we even in any game we play? How is it that we only lost by 11 yesterday? Clearly, we should be losing by 25 every time our guys lace them up.

I hate to inform you debbie downers out there but the reason why we're even in a game at this point is heart and coaching.

Nukem2
03-02-2015, 09:13 AM
We are undersized, under manned and, according to some, untalented. Why are we even in any game we play? How is it that we only lost by 11 yesterday? Clearly, we should be losing by 25 every time our guys lace them up.

I hate to inform you debbie downers out there but the reason why we're even in a game at this point is heart and coaching.
Yep, and expectations were low anyway. This is obviously a rebuilding year from every perspective. I hate losing, but I just try to enjoy the development of the young guys from game to game. Enough of the "awful" comments from posters. this team was never going anyplace, but it certainly has heart and coaching as you correctly note.

warriorgnp
03-02-2015, 09:16 AM
+1,000

TheSultan
03-02-2015, 09:40 AM
I guess I don't understand what people expect Wojo to do. Everyone is playing. He's tried multiple schemes on both offense and defense. It is an incomplete team. MU88 mentioned Buzz's first team (and I assume he means second team since the Amigos were seniors on his first team). Acker and Cubillan could really shoot the ball. Lazar was much better than anyone on this team. That team also had Jimmy Butler, who wasn't very much at the start of the year, but grew tremendously during the year.

I mean, that team had two future NBA players. I don't think this team even has one.

MUfan12
03-02-2015, 09:55 AM
I guess I don't understand what people expect Wojo to do. Everyone is playing. He's tried multiple schemes on both offense and defense. It is an incomplete team. MU88 mentioned Buzz's first team (and I assume he means second team since the Amigos were seniors on his first team). Acker and Cubillan could really shoot the ball. Lazar was much better than anyone on this team. That team also had Jimmy Butler, who wasn't very much at the start of the year, but grew tremendously during the year.

I mean, that team had two future NBA players. I don't think this team even has one.

Four, actually. DJO and Buycks.

The ability to shoot the ball covers up a lot of deficiencies. This team doesn't have enough shooters to begin to hide theirs. Much of that is because it wasn't a skill valued by the previous regime.

TheSultan
03-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Four, actually. DJO and Buycks.

The ability to shoot the ball covers up a lot of deficiencies. This team doesn't have enough shooters to begin to hide theirs. Much of that is because it wasn't a skill valued by the previous regime.

Oh that's right. DJO and Buycks were on that team as well!

That team had MUCH better talent than this team has. Really not even all that close. I remember being surprised at how good that team was - it was completely unexpected. However when you look back on it, that roster was loaded. We just didn't realize that they were loaded because DJO and Butler were complete unknowns.

Nukem2
03-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Oh that's right. DJO and Buycks were on that team as well!

That team had MUCH better talent than this team has. Really not even all that close. I remember being surprised at how good that team was - it was completely unexpected. However when you look back on it, that roster was loaded. We just didn't realize that they were loaded because DJO and Butler were complete unknowns. / Actually, Jimmy Butler was a junior that season. A known commodity following his rise during the Amigos final season.

Smee
03-02-2015, 02:00 PM

Wojo will be more than fine. This undermanned team is finishing the season on fumes. Marquette's administration, not the old administration, made a decision to build for the long term. That means quality players who buy into Wojo's system, players who can and will perform on the court and in the classroom. The defections were extremely high during BW's run as head coach. The transition cost all but one member of the 2014 recruiting class and three hold overs who didn't like the new regime. What do you expect this season with eight strong or six strong at times? Wojo won a few games with gimmick defenses, Duane Wilson's gradual emergence and Fischer surprising opponents in his first few games. Carlino's concussion and Anderson's injury put extra wear and tear on the rest of the team and messed up a paper thin balance.

The best we have had and the best we really could have hoped for this season is enjoying moments that provided glimpses into the future. Duane Wilson and Luke Fischer are a heck of a core to build on. Listening to Wojo on the radio you can hear the intensity of the work he has been doing and the physical challenge that represents. Like the team he is worn down but not giving up -- during games, during practice or on the recruiting trail.

Thank you for some sanity. I could not agree more.

Bob