PDA

View Full Version : OT - Bucky's new uniforms

Nukem2
02-27-2015, 12:32 PM
A slow day, so something ugly to ponder
http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2015/2/26/8114411/wisconson-badgers-new-uniforms-march-madness-adidas

IrwinFletcher
02-27-2015, 01:21 PM
The tournament is over. Badgers will walk away with it now.

Mucrisco
02-27-2015, 01:35 PM
I think I had those shorts in the 80's.

Halo
02-27-2015, 01:46 PM
What do you guys think of their tournament chances? Of course impossible to say now with the pairings not out. But I think they can beat Kentucky, however can lose to a team like Butler if they get them early. Butler can shoot and is physical.

Goose85
02-27-2015, 02:02 PM
What do you guys think of their tournament chances? Of course impossible to say now with the pairings not out. But I think they can beat Kentucky, however can lose to a team like Butler if they get them early. Butler can shoot and is physical.

The tourney is a crap shoot, just ask Duke about the Mercer game last year.

If Frank stays out of foul trouble, and is hitting his shots they can advance pretty far. Teams with very good guard play, and teams that are successful driving the hoop will give them problems.

Wisconsin is 0-2 against teams currently ranked, and have yet to play Ohio State or Michigan State. Wisconsin should be favored in those two, but I am interested to see how they bounce back from the Maryland loss.

Anything can happen in the tourney, but I really have a hard time seeing anyone beating Kentucky.
Unlike Wisconsin (Frank) or Duke (Okafor), it really doesn't matter if anyone on Kentucky has to sit out long stretches with foul trouble or has an off night, as in some cases (Ulis / Booker) the subs are better than the starters (Harrisons).

MayorBeluga
02-27-2015, 02:17 PM
Is it asking too much that given all we've gone through this season, that the government school ends up as the first #1 seed to lose in the first round?

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-27-2015, 02:35 PM
If the tournament started right now, the Badgers would be a 2-seed, and not even the top 2-seed. Kentucky, Virginia, and Duke are probably solid 1's, after that I'd say Villanova is most deserving though some argue Gonzaga.

Someone said it the other day and I agree, Wisconsin picked a horrible year to have their best ever team. I've felt since that Kansas destruction early on that Kentucky would go 40-0. I know some teams have tested them, but they just come together and find a way to win. It is truly amazing the level of defense they play, and I think they have the ability to turn it up a notch once March gets going.

If someone knocks off Kentucky, I wouldn't like Wisconsin's chances against Virginia or Duke. Virginia plays the same kind of game Bucky does but they do it better while Duke already beat Wisconsin in Madison. The places where Wisconsin has mismatches would be nullified by those teams.

But honestly...I don't think it matters because I don't think Wisconsin gets that far. I think Wisconsin will go out relatively early, maybe they make the Sweet 16 but I don't think any further. The Big 10 is bad this year. Just like Gonzaga, they haven't been tested much since conference play started. No, I'm not saying the B10 is WCC bad, but is there anyone in that league other than Maryland that you really take seriously? So much of March seems to be proving in the regular season you can get through the wars. I haven't seen that at all from Wisconsin this year. Honestly, if they had a tougher league and 2-3 more losses, I'd probably give them a better chance.

Gato78
02-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Bucky has trouble with quick guards--not good for the Tournament which tends to be loaded with quick guards. My other thought is Bucky cannot beat Villanova. They are both well coached but the talent at Villanova is better--their depth of quality guards, who are all big, is incredible. Then they bring Pinkston off the bench. Nova has run through the BIG EAST like Bucky has with the Big Teneleventwelve. I think this year could be a Villanova FF run.

Nukem2
02-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Compared to last year, Bucky really misses Ben Brust. He was a real catalyst in their wins over American and Oregon at the BC last March.

Goose85
02-27-2015, 03:07 PM
Bucky has trouble with quick guards--not good for the Tournament which tends to be loaded with quick guards. My other thought is Bucky cannot beat Villanova. They are both well coached but the talent at Villanova is better--their depth of quality guards, who are all big, is incredible. Then they bring Pinkston off the bench. Nova has run through the BIG EAST like Bucky has with the Big Teneleventwelve. I think this year could be a Villanova FF run.

Another reason why I like the 10 team Big East.

As Gato points out, Villanova has run through the Big East, and has done so playing everyone twice.
Butler - Georgetown - Providence - Xavier - St. Johns, all home and home.

Look at Crean's crew at Indiana.
Plays Maryland, Ohio State, Purdue, Mich State twice and Wisconsin on the road, that is 9 tough conference games against the top 5 teams in the Big 10.

Wisconsin plays those same teams once, for five games total (only 4 against the top 4 teams).

When looking at tourney seeding, doesn't that make Villanova's resume much better?

02-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Compared to last year, Bucky really misses Ben Brust. He was a real catalyst in their wins over American and Oregon at the BC last March.

I definitely think they will miss him once the NCAAs start. He may not have been their best player last year, but you could argue he was their most important.

Goose85
02-27-2015, 04:13 PM
I definitely think they will miss him once the NCAAs start. He may not have been their best player last year, but you could argue he was their most important.

Brust seemed to always knock down that big shot. Always canned that much needed 3 pointer.
I agree, he will be missed, but this is a very good, but not deep, UW team.

02-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Brust seemed to always knock down that big shot. Always canned that much needed 3 pointer.
I agree, he will be missed, but this is a very good, but not deep, UW team.

I agree, they have a good team, but I don't think they are positioned as well for a Final Four run as they were a year ago. Not having a guy they can count on for that big shot will hurt.

Nukem2
02-27-2015, 04:34 PM
I agree, they have a good team, but I don't think they are positioned as well for a Final Four run as they were a year ago. Not having a guy they can count on for that big shot will hurt.
Not just a big shot. Brust was the igniter as he would suddenly hit a couple threes, grab a tough rebound and ignite the rest of the team.

02-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Yup. It's interesting, because while I think this Wisconsin team is better top to bottom than last year's team was, I don't think they have the same ceiling. Brust gave them that excitement factor, that ability to win a game they shouldn't. This year's team is like a typical Bo team, good enough to win regularly, but won't really punch over their weight. Good enough for a high ranking, good seed, but not good enough to make a deep run in March.

CR45
02-27-2015, 05:34 PM
Im guessing Elite 8 for the Badgers. My only wish for this years tournament is that Kentucky doesn't win. I also think Northern Iowa will be a team that will surprise some people.

Mucrisco
02-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Now picture a guy like Brust on Marquette.

IrwinFletcher
02-27-2015, 05:44 PM
I think they are a lock to get to the Elite 8. If the best 8 teams make it that far, it is a total crapshoot. Any one of those teams can beat any of the other teams on a given night.

warriorfan4life
02-27-2015, 06:37 PM
On Dodds's board, I mentioned Providence as a nightmare second match-up for the Badgers. I think Dunn would get into the lane at will, and Providence has the frontline depth to contend with Hayes, Dekker, and Kaminsky.

The Reptile
02-27-2015, 09:08 PM
Nothing screams 'I'm really slow' more than those uniforms. If they had any imagination they'd add a handicap symbol in red for emphasis. Those are some butt ugly uniforms.

mufan2003
02-27-2015, 10:01 PM
If I am Wisconsin, I really want Gonzaga in my region if Bucky ends up a #2 seed. I agree that Villanova is a Final 4 team this year and I would probably take them over Wisconsin. Hilliard has become an NBA talent and has great size as a 6'6" SG. Arcidiacono is better and can shoot, Dylan Ennis is better and can shoot, Josh Hart is better and can shoot, Ochefu is much better (especially in the post). Not only a team with plenty of shooters, but guards with size, strength and athleticism. For entertainment purposes, Nova playing Duke or Virginia in the Elite 8 would be fun to watch, even though getting Gonzaga would be an easier path to the Final 4.

I also think Georgetown could be very dangerous as a #6 or #7 seed. Isaac Copeland was not playing much in November and December. Since Big East play started, he has gotten better and better. At 6'9", he is now Georgetown's best freshman. 3 strong, athletic guards in Smith-Rivera, Trawick and Peak. Josh Smith can score in the post, although he can be a liability defensively. Big East has a chance to make some noise in the tourney this year between Nova, Georgetown, Providence and Butler.

MUAlphaBangura
02-28-2015, 07:29 AM
If I am Wisconsin, I really want Gonzaga in my region if Bucky ends up a #2 seed. I agree that Villanova is a Final 4 team this year and I would probably take them over Wisconsin. Hilliard has become an NBA talent and has great size as a 6'6" SG. Arcidiacono is better and can shoot, Dylan Ennis is better and can shoot, Josh Hart is better and can shoot, Ochefu is much better (especially in the post). Not only a team with plenty of shooters, but guards with size, strength and athleticism. For entertainment purposes, Nova playing Duke or Virginia in the Elite 8 would be fun to watch, even though getting Gonzaga would be an easier path to the Final 4.

I also think Georgetown could be very dangerous as a #6 or #7 seed. Isaac Copeland was not playing much in November and December. Since Big East play started, he has gotten better and better. At 6'9", he is now Georgetown's best freshman. 3 strong, athletic guards in Smith-Rivera, Trawick and Peak. Josh Smith can score in the post, although he can be a liability defensively. Big East has a chance to make some noise in the tourney this year between Nova, Georgetown, Providence and Butler.

Hopefully JayVaughn Pinkston's possible parole violation doesn't derail their post season. That would really suck for the league.