PDA

View Full Version : Check These Stats

Phantom Warrior
02-26-2015, 08:28 AM
MU had 14 defensive rebounds; Butler had 12 offensive rebounds. In other words, Butler grabbed 46% of its own misses.

On the other hand, Butler had 17 defensive rebounds; MU had 4 offensive rebounds. In other words, MU grabbed 19% of its own misses.

The word to describe those stats is "atrocious."

Yes, we are under-sized, and yes, we are short-handed. But there should never be that huge a discrepancy in rebounding stats.

This is, by far, the worst rebounding team I have ever seen at MU. Do we need a point guard for next year. That would be nice. But what we need even more is a beast on the backboard, especially the defensive backboard. And that player does not have to be 6'8" or 6'9". I would take a Robert Byrd type player, or a David Boone type player in a heartbeat.

In all honesty, I am really disappointed in Luke's rebounding. He is averaging 4.7 rpg in 28.5 mpg. That comes to 1 rebound every 6.1 minutes. For a guy who is 6'11" and reasonably athletic, those stats are sub-par.

But it's not just Luke. Taylor grabs 1 rebound per 4.9 minutes playing 12 mpg at the 5 and 9 mpg at the 4.

Jajuan and Sandy are good athletes, and they are both 6'5". But neither is even a decent rebounder.

Juan and Steve average 1 rebound per 4.9 minutes. They are our most efficient rebounders, and Juan will be gone next year.

I don't think Henry is the answer, though he should help to some extent. And maybe Wally will help, too. But neither seems to be that rebounding machine that we desperately need.

MUfan12
02-26-2015, 08:32 AM
Both Taylor and Luke are really poor at boxing out. Luke I can forgive to a degree, since he challenges a lot of shots and that can take him out of rebounding position. Taylor's idea of rebounding is watching the ball and hoping it comes to him.

Shot goes up, you get a body on someone. Derrick, the smallest guy on the team, is by far their best rebounder. I wish more guys had his mindset.

warriorfan4life
02-26-2015, 08:58 AM
MU had 14 defensive rebounds; Butler had 12 offensive rebounds. In other words, Butler grabbed 46% of its own misses.

On the other hand, Butler had 17 defensive rebounds; MU had 4 offensive rebounds. In other words, MU grabbed 19% of its own misses.

The word to describe those stats is "atrocious."

Yes, we are under-sized, and yes, we are short-handed. But there should never be that huge a discrepancy in rebounding stats.

This is, by far, the worst rebounding team I have ever seen at MU. Do we need a point guard for next year. That would be nice. But what we need even more is a beast on the backboard, especially the defensive backboard. And that player does not have to be 6'8" or 6'9". I would take a Robert Byrd type player, or a David Boone type player in a heartbeat.

In all honesty, I am really disappointed in Luke's rebounding. He is averaging 4.7 rpg in 28.5 mpg. That comes to 1 rebound every 6.1 minutes. For a guy who is 6'11" and reasonably athletic, those stats are sub-par.

But it's not just Luke. Taylor grabs 1 rebound per 4.9 minutes playing 12 mpg at the 5 and 9 mpg at the 4.

Jajuan and Sandy are good athletes, and they are both 6'5". But neither is even a decent rebounder.

Juan and Steve average 1 rebound per 4.9 minutes. They are our most efficient rebounders, and Juan will be gone next year.

I don't think Henry is the answer, though he should help to some extent. And maybe Wally will help, too. But neither seems to be that rebounding machine that we desperately need.

Henry was sixth in the Nike EYBL in rebounding (http://www.d1circuit.com/stats/league_instance/17664?subseason=148178&tab=league_instance_player_stats&tool=985828), with most of his rebounds on the defensive glass.

MUwarrior1090
02-26-2015, 01:22 PM
Maurice O'Field averages 5 per game with about 30% of them on the offensive end. Pretty good for a 2/3

MulliganMusings
02-26-2015, 01:58 PM
Say what you like about our perimeter shooting (or lack of it) but I think our anemic rebounding really is the major weakness in this year's team. Too many excellent defensive sets end with an end of the shot clock shot that results in a subsequent offensive rebound for the opposition. This also contributes to the fatigue factor that has really caused us to lose at least four games this year.

Halo
02-26-2015, 03:09 PM
We are a very small, thin team. Just look at how thick Butler was and then look at our guys. Derrick Wilson is thick, but a PG and was negated by Roosevelt Jones who is as big. And Wilson rebounds well for a PG. Taylor has good size, but just cannot or will not play defense or rebound for whatever reason. Luke, Juan, Sandy, Duane and JJ are rail thin guys that get pushed around.

Need some serious beef. Would love a Marcus Jackson type of enforcer in there who wanted to defend and rebound.

Not sure how much of this is tied to Buzz's recruiting philosophy or getting switchable athletes. But you need some toughness in the middle in the Big East.