PDA

View Full Version : MU Athletics Survey

21rooster
02-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Marquette Athletics sent a survey today regarding the game-day experience. At the end of the survey, there is a section that allows you to provide text feedback regarding ways in which the game-day experience can improve. My thoughts immediately turned to the Big East rule regarding replays of controversial calls. I have previously contacted the Athletic department regarding this rule, and a spokesperson indicated that Marquette's hands are tied by the league. I realize that the league is trying to prevent in-game scrutiny of officials, but these same officials receive that same scrutiny when officiating in many other conferences, which allow replays.

If you agree with the view that PAYING season-ticketholders deserve to see replays that non-paying television viewers get, please provide that feedback. I realize that there is nothing that Marquette can unilaterally do, but consistent fan feedback may push Marquette pursue this issue in the offseason. It is in Marquette's best interest to enhance the fan experience, and this is a major flaw in the current experience. Marquette would only need to convince a handful of peers in order to change the league rule.

Djgoldnboy
02-23-2015, 03:51 PM
As my buddy did this weekend.....go to the FoxSports (or in our case the DirecTV) app, and pull it up on your phone to watch replays. Worked great when we were trying to see what the double T was about on Saturday.

IWB
02-23-2015, 05:22 PM
PAYING season-ticketholders deserve to see replays that non-paying television viewers get

That is a great point right there.

treyschwab
02-23-2015, 06:14 PM
The NBA made this change two years ago for precisely the same reason - to enhance the fan in-person experience and give them the same thing that any fan watching at home on TV could see. They now show the same replays live on the video boards in-arena that the officials are using to review the play in question. Its a Big East Conference issue - not a Marquette one - the schools hands are tied until the conference changes the rule about it.

21rooster
02-23-2015, 07:36 PM
True, but the wheels don't start turning until a university speaks up...and that doesn't happen until fans speak up.

IWB
02-23-2015, 08:04 PM
Great to see Trey Schwab posting! Trey - I know you just had a major anniversary, congrats my man!

treyschwab
02-23-2015, 11:15 PM
Thanks IWB! 11 year transplant anniversary was last Tuesday the 17th.

Litehouse
02-24-2015, 09:04 AM
Carlino's 3 at the buzzer against Georgetown is a good example. I was sitting behind a TV camera and saw the little monitor showing the replay over and over again for everyone watching on TV, while all of us in the arena were wondering what the heck was going on. Let us see it on the jumbotron for cripes sake. We're the ones that paid and went through the trouble of actually showing up.

Also, this is exactly the type of situation where the Big East needs to differentiate itself from the other conferences. We aren't going to compete with the Bloated-5 by being just another boring, traditional conference. We need to be flashy, edgy and grab people's attention. Allowing replays is a perfect way to do this, especially when we have so many NBA-style arenas that can easily provide those capabilities. If the refs don't like it, than find some new refs, they can't get much worse. Controversy and conflict also help build rivalries, which is something the Big East desperately needs.

treyschwab
02-26-2015, 10:01 AM
Send Stu Jackson at the Big East Conference an email about this - that will have more impact than talking to the school: sjackson@bigeast.com
He's the assistant commish in charge of Men's Basketball. Conference will be more likely to do something if they hear directly from fans.

BLT
02-26-2015, 11:17 AM
As my buddy did this weekend.....go to the FoxSports (or in our case the DirecTV) app, and pull it up on your phone to watch replays. Worked great when we were trying to see what the double T was about on Saturday.

Maybe this is why half the arena is in the hallway and clubs and not their seats? You can see more of the game with replays waiting 20 minutes for your beer in the hallway.

As to writing Stu Jackson, I guess that wouldn't hurt. But, MU sent out the survey, they are the ones asking, they are the ones losing ticket sales, and they pay Stu's salary. I would think there is more power in numbers from the survey, no? Most of the Big East schools are in pro sports towns and they expect that same experience for the college games.

I think most fans feel they are paying MU and not the Big East so they expect MU to respond to their needs. Hiding behind the conference shows non-responsiveness to the consumer who is paying MUAD and will just cause MU disenfranchisement from their loyal fans and alums, IMO.

IWB
02-26-2015, 11:31 AM
BLT - no offense, but since emailing Stu Jackson was suggested by a former member of the MU coaching staff, I would think that would be the way to go.

BLT
02-26-2015, 11:50 AM
BLT - no offense, but since emailing Stu Jackson was suggested by a former member of the MU coaching staff, I would think that would be the way to go.

I am not debating that...sorry if it came that way. But, putting on a paying customer's hat, that is not very rewarding. The people I buy my tickets from are asking me for my response. From a business standpoint, MU wants you to provide feedback to them since they are the one profiting directly from my check. They are asking for ways to improve the MU game experience. I would think MU would want the chance to fix it for me, no?

Now, I have put the same response to MU for about five years straight...with no action. Time to call corporate.

21rooster
02-26-2015, 12:09 PM
Why not try both? Send the direct message to Stu, getting the conversation going. Provide feedback via the survey. If enough of us provide the same feedback, Marquette may feel compelled to bring it up to Stu...who will have already heard the arguments himself.

BLT, keep in mind that we have fresh leadership at Marquette. Additionally, Marquette is now one of 10 members at the table, where it was previously one of 16 (and an "add-on" at that). Let's give the new leadership a chance to be responsive to its first survey.