PDA

View Full Version : Article about Wally E and high jumping

milkbone
02-22-2015, 12:13 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-02-20/wally-ellenson-marquette-high-jump-ncaa-basketball-champion-steve-wojciechowski-wojo

Nukem2
02-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Wonder how the high jump stuff is going to work next year when he is eligible...

MUMac
02-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Wonder how the high jump stuff is going to work next year when he is eligible...

I would suspect he jumps outdoors only next year. That would not conflict with the basketball season.

Nukem2
02-22-2015, 02:57 PM
I would suspect he jumps outdoors only next year. That would not conflict with the basketball season.
Probably so.

TheSultan
02-22-2015, 03:08 PM

Mac what are the training requirements for a high-jumper in terms of time?

DCwarrior
02-22-2015, 07:05 PM

It's the following year where things could become complicated. If he's serious about making the Olympics, he's likely going to have to give up playing hoops and commit to training full-time (probably at some U.S. training facility in the South or West). If he's able to graduate next year, I think this becomes more likely.

Markedman
02-22-2015, 07:28 PM
I don't see him giving up hoops. Especially if Henry is still here

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-24-2015, 06:35 AM
It's the following year where things could become complicated. If he's serious about making the Olympics, he's likely going to have to give up playing hoops and commit to training full-time (probably at some U.S. training facility in the South or West). If he's able to graduate next year, I think this becomes more likely.

If he's serious about making the 2016 Olympics, yes. But how long is the career of a high jumper? Is this something he could pursue for 10-15 years? Will he have a legitimate shot at 2020, 2024, and 2028? Could he even go into his 30s? If so, I can understand prioritizing basketball and playing at a high level with your brother over one Olympic chance. His personal best (2.28 m) is great but would not have put him on the medal stand in any Olympics since 1976.

I have to imagine he'll go all-out for it at some point, but I could see him putting basketball first for the next couple years and high-jump first once his collegiate days are done.