PDA

View Full Version : Rant

Gato78
02-22-2015, 09:58 AM
This is not the first time I have mentioned it and it will not be the last. This relates to the douche nozzle fans who never get to their seats for the beginning of the second half. Yesterday, in his post game presser, Jay Wright credited Villanova's win to the stretch at the beginning of the second half pointing to two factors: 1. Arcidiacano hits two threes; and, 2. "...before the fans could get into it". Now opposing coaches are noticing that the beginning of the 2nd half at the BC is a good time to get it going. I actually mentioned this same phenomenon to Mrs. Gato at half: in the past several games we play pretty well in the first half but the beginning of the second half seems to be the breaking point--of course, this has absolutely nothing to do with fatigue, it is our goofy fan base that thinks it is a good time to talk to their friends rather than before and after the game. The place is a morgue at the beginning of every second half. This does not happen at Kentucky or Louiville or Duke (of course, the Kohl Hole has its own morgue -like qualities). I also want to add that I miss at least one good play (by one team or the other) because some fan thinks its OK to walk in front of me during play when back from the half time tea party.

Smitty
02-22-2015, 10:04 AM
Maybe it's a double edged sword. Love having alcohol at a college game but does it keep people from going back to their seats? See the same thing at MSG for BE tourney, from all schools.

MUAlphaBangura
02-22-2015, 10:17 AM
This is not the first time I have mentioned it and it will not be the last. This relates to the douche nozzle fans who never get to their seats for the beginning of the second half. Yesterday, in his post game presser, Jay Wright credited Villanova's win to the stretch at the beginning of the second half pointing to two factors: 1. Arcidiacano hits two threes; and, 2. "...before the fans could get into it". Now opposing coaches are noticing that the beginning of the 2nd half at the BC is a good time to get it going. I actually mentioned this same phenomenon to Mrs. Gato at half: in the past several games we play pretty well in the first half but the beginning of the second half seems to be the breaking point--of course, this has absolutely nothing to do with fatigue, it is our goofy fan base that thinks it is a good time to talk to their friends rather than before and after the game. The place is a morgue at the beginning of every second half. This does not happen at Kentucky or Louisville or Duke (of course, the Kohl Hole has its own morgue -like qualities). I also want to add that I miss at least one good play (by one team or the other) because some fan thinks its OK to walk in front of me during play when back from the half time tea party.

I miss the first 5 minutes of the second half where I sit because of the stragglers. Personally, I think our woes at the start of the second half have more to do with our lack of talent, as the other teams get reamed out by their coaches and actually start playing to their own levels in the second half as opposed to playing down to our level.

I know Ted has been on the empty seat bandwagon also. The problem is, it takes so much time for all of the people on the opposite side of the Courtside Club to get there and back in a short amount of time. What they need is a Courtside Club on the east side of the BC also. And then they need to penalize the stragglers by not allowing them back in til the first tv timeout in the 2nd half. It probably won't completely eliminate the problem, but it certainly would help.

TedBaxter
02-22-2015, 10:59 AM
I don't get to games anymore and watch on TV and what really pissed me off yesterday was seeing fans leaving, via the court level, about a minute before halftime. MU played one of it's better halves and you are leaving early?

I would suggest that if anybody gets pissed off about this, contact Bill Scholl.

Gato78
02-22-2015, 11:14 AM
The key to my rant is Jay Wright noticing the phenomenon and taking advantage. I agree with AlphaBangura that the opponents likely get reemed out and adjust but that is the point, the opposing team will come out of the gates fired up while we give away our home court advantage for the first four minutes of the second half of every damned home game. It happens all the time and it has happened very noticably this year when we really need 40 minutes of total focus. I've been on this for years--both because of the competitive disadvantage and how bad it looks on television. Take a look at any game you have DVR'd and see how empty it is at the beginning of the second half. I do not think there is a singular answer other than the fanbase needs to be more interested in the game and its outcome than having 90 second conversations with 10 different people. It is our version of the Badger fans who are more interested in the band and the scripted 40 year old cheers than the game being played right in front of them.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Jay Wright "taking advantage?" Come on Gato - I get the frustration with the empty seats to start the half but Archiediacano bombing deep treys to start the half had nothing to do with our fans or lack there of in their seats. Jay wright did nothing different than he would normally do.

IrwinFletcher
02-22-2015, 11:51 AM
First, this happens any place that serves beer. Going back to the Creighton game last week that I attended, we had seats that allowed us to go the the Club reserved for our section. Beautiful bar area with a bunch of TV sets showing games etc. As we were going back to our seats just as the second half was starting, the place was still packed with Creighton fans. And Creighton fans are acknowledged to be great fans.

Secondly and most importantly, to think that Villanova or any team goes on a run to start a half because fans aren't in their seats is a bit silly. If our players are mentally weak to the point they can't focus or play well because fans aren't in their seats, we have a major issue above and beyond talent.

Lastly, fans leave early all the time. My wife and I went to the Stevenson/Simeon game last night. Crazy game. Intense. Place was packed to the point the Fire Marshall should have kicked people out. And with 2 minutes to go in a tight game, people were leaving to beat the rush. I couldn't believe it.

I get you gripe Gato, but I think you are making more out of it than needs to be.

TedBaxter
02-22-2015, 11:54 AM
Looks horseshit on TV and that doesn't help recruiting.

Nukem2
02-22-2015, 12:08 PM
The BC was really very noticeably empty as the 2nd half started...that does have an impact on the vibes and electricity in the building. Does that affect play ... who know? Also, the student crowd ended up very nice though it took most of the first half for the upper deck to fill out with the last few rows empty. But, it looked like a lot of students did not come back in for the second half and the upper deck was rather empty with 8-10 minutes to go in the game.

kneelb4zerg
02-22-2015, 12:28 PM

Neither does our record.

GOMU1104
02-22-2015, 12:29 PM

It doesnt impact our recruiting. Relax.

Gato78
02-22-2015, 12:43 PM
No BS. Wright said this in his post game comments.

Jay Wright "taking advantage?" Come on Gato - I get the frustration with the empty seats to start the half but Archiediacano bombing deep treys to start the half had nothing to do with our fans or lack there of in their seats. Jay wright did nothing different than he would normally do.

TheSultan
02-22-2015, 01:09 PM
No BS. Wright said this in his post game comments.

No he said "before fans could get into it." Even if all fans are in their seats, it is hard to "get into it" immediately.

I think it is a bit of hyperbole to suggest that fans not getting in their seats immediately is hurting Marquette's performance on the floor as well as recruiting.

Mark Miller
02-22-2015, 01:52 PM
It is really annoying to have fans constantly stepping in front of you and walking up the steps so you have to either peer around them or watch the big screen to see the action.

Sat up in 424 yesterday and the parade of fans climbing up and down the stairs was constant.

mufan2003
02-22-2015, 01:58 PM
I agree with Gato that it is annoying and MU needs to eventually try to do something about it (A 2-minute warning notice throughout the arena, roping off walkways once the ball tips and until there is a timeout). I disagree that it hurts recruiting or that it is why Villanova went on a run to start the 2nd half. What was more noticeable was how packed the arena was for a 3-10 team in conference. There were plenty more shots throughout the game of a packed house than there were of the beginning of the 2nd half.

MUBB713
02-22-2015, 02:07 PM
Not much that can be done about it other than roping off the entrances at the start of the second half and making people wait until there is a timeout. Personally, I think it's rude when people aren't in their seats by the start of the second half but sometime it isn't their fault. Long bathroom lines, long concession lines, walking through lots of people in a small area, etc. Maybe the new arena will help solve some of those issues.

Gato78
02-22-2015, 02:13 PM
So "before fans could get into it" means something else? Good God, man.

No he said "before fans could get into it." Even if all fans are in their seats, it is hard to "get into it" immediately.

I think it is a bit of hyperbole to suggest that fans not getting in their seats immediately is hurting Marquette's performance on the floor as well as recruiting.

TheSultan
02-22-2015, 02:19 PM
So "before fans could get into it" means something else? Good God, man.

Yes. Sorry if you disagree.

eastly
02-22-2015, 02:28 PM
Theatres dim the house lights as a signal to attendees that intermission is ending and it's time to return to their seats. Maybe something similar could be done at the BC to solve this etiquette issue.

ziggysfryboy
02-22-2015, 02:36 PM
I know that the halftime/second half start is bad at most games, but especially on National MU day. Lots of reunions, especially young alums sitting in larger groups in the upper deck.

That said, there is no reason that the concessions staff doesn't have 30 large miller lites ready to go at each register, along with a dedicated beer pourer. stupid that the person on the register also has to go fill beer cups.

BLT
02-22-2015, 03:24 PM
I know that the halftime/second half start is bad at most games, but especially on National MU day. Lots of reunions, especially young alums sitting in larger groups in the upper deck.

That said, there is no reason that the concessions staff doesn't have 30 large miller lites ready to go at each register, along with a dedicated beer pourer. stupid that the person on the register also has to go fill beer cups.

Bingo. I am a stickler for this. However, with the big crowd, the BC was not prepared. Met some friends at the Leine's Lodge...was fourth in line and finally got our beers as the 2nd half was restarting. Had one server per side with open registers on both sides. I wanted to start pouring it was going so slowly. The line was 20 yards long.

I think the new arena will solve this with more clubs built in with court views. Fans like to meet up with friends at games although their seats are not together. The NBA knows this.

This problem is no different than at Miller Park where all the tailgaters arrive in the 2-3rd inning, btw.

IrwinFletcher
02-22-2015, 04:20 PM
It sounds like the issue isn't Marquette fans lollygagging in the hallways and not caring about getting back for the 2nd half, though I am sure there are some that fit that description. The issue seems to be that the concession staff isn't properly staffed to get people served in time to get back to their seats. If in fact this is what the issue is, then maybe something can be said to the athletic department to try and get this problem solved.

BTW, along these lines, did everyone see Roy Williams rip on the NC fans? Very interesting and not sure I would want Wojo doing this.

MUAlphaBangura
02-22-2015, 04:38 PM
It sounds like the issue isn't Marquette fans lollygagging in the hallways and not caring about getting back for the 2nd half, though I am sure there are some that fit that description. The issue seems to be that the concession staff isn't properly staffed to get people served in time to get back to their seats. If in fact this is what the issue is, then maybe something can be said to the athletic department to try and get this problem solved.

BTW, along these lines, did everyone see Roy Williams rip on the NC fans? Very interesting and not sure I would want Wojo doing this.

Majority of the problem by far!

2012Warrior
02-22-2015, 04:38 PM
I couldn't believe the upstairs Pizza concession stand wasn't open. If it's not open yesterday, when will it ever be open? That at least would have shortened some of the lines. I think they should have a clock in the hallways. It's tough to figure out how much time is left in halftime.

MayorBeluga
02-22-2015, 05:07 PM
Bradley Center likely will not agree to dim the lights. Economically, they want people to spend as much as possible, so it's in their interest to keep people in the concourse as long as possible. That's why they don't have clocks in the concourses showing how long until the game restates.

That said, MU could easily work with the BC to prevent people from walking in during play. However, to do that, they would have to prevent the big dollar folks in the Courtside Club from walking out during play and that's just not going to happen.

Litehouse
02-22-2015, 05:19 PM
Do they have vendors selling beer in the seats at Bucks games? They obviously don't at MU games, so everyone that wants a beer ends up trying to buy one at the same time during halftime.

MU/Panther
02-22-2015, 07:00 PM
If I can go from section 442 and go all the way outside for my halftime smoke and return with 4 minutes left on the halftime clock, others dam well can make it back into their seats as well.

IWB
02-23-2015, 03:03 PM
A few points -

1) On Gato's comment about the fans - Sultan, that is exactly what Jay Wright said in the post game presser. You may not want to believe it, but those were Jay wright's exact words.

2) Whoever made the comment about the beer pouring - I have been saying this for YEARS. Yes, it is great that people can work the concession stand and have the money go to their charity - great way to raise money, but it is a major cause of the problem. People not being able to find the right buttons on the register, people having to go get popcorn, then return and hand it to customer, then go fill two beers, and then realize they forgot the hot dog..... You want people to buy more? Make it easier for people to buy. Years ago I always went to the same section at halftime. People often asked why I didn't want a beer - reason? Because it was too much of a pain in the butt to wait in line to get one.

3) I can't remember where it was, I think Wisconsin or DePaul? They have curtains at every entrance and when the game starts, they close them, and only let people return to their seats when there is a break in the action.

4) MU Panther says he goes downstairs, outside, back in and upstairs with plenty of time. I know I sit in the media seats, but it isn't always quick and easy to get back into the media room at halftime, but I do. I then talk to a couple people there while I wait for stats. Then I get the stats, I head back out and around. I usually stop to see Gato on the opposite side of the arena and talk to him while I scour the recruiting section. I then talk to Homer for a bit, another guy at the scorers table and then head back to my seat on press row with about 3 mins to go in the half. There is plenty of time to get in and get out, it is the lines at the charity run concession stands that back everything up.

MayorBeluga
02-23-2015, 03:13 PM
A few points -

3) I can't remember where it was, I think Wisconsin or DePaul? They have curtains at every entrance and when the game starts, they close them, and only let people return to their seats when there is a break in the action.

No way this happens. Too many big dollar donors head to the Courtside Club before halftime and come back when the 2nd half is under way. No way MU tells the big dollar folks they can't walk to their seats while the game is going on. Not. Gonna. Happen.

TheSultan
02-23-2015, 03:15 PM
A few points -

1) On Gato's comment about the fans - Sultan, that is exactly what Jay Wright said in the post game presser. You may not want to believe it, but those were Jay wright's exact words.

Jay Wright mentioned that the fans weren't back in their seats?

IWB
02-23-2015, 05:32 PM
I don't remember the exact quote, but I was 5 feet from him when he said it. Gato's post said, "...before the fans could get into it"

That is pretty close to accurate. To start the second half Nova hit a three. Their bench went nuts. MU came down and Cohen hit a three. It wasn't exactly loud in the BC. Then Nova countered with another and then went on a run.

Ask any player from any team about how much they feed off of the crowd. They will all tell you it makes a huge difference. MU never has a solid crowd to start the second half.

GOMU1104
02-23-2015, 06:47 PM
This didn't happen to impact our play when we had better teams.

Nukem2
02-23-2015, 06:56 PM
I don't remember the exact quote, but I was 5 feet from him when he said it. Gato's post said, "...before the fans could get into it"

That is pretty close to accurate. To start the second half Nova hit a three. Their bench went nuts. MU came down and Cohen hit a three. It wasn't exactly loud in the BC. Then Nova countered with another and then went on a run.

Ask any player from any team about how much they feed off of the crowd. They will all tell you it makes a huge difference. MU never has a solid crowd to start the second half.
And, the crowd was really sparse at the start of the second half Saturday...:(. No vibes or electricity....

IWB
02-23-2015, 07:19 PM
This didn't happen to impact our play when we had better teams.

Who knows? First off, I never said it impacted the team, but it certainly doesn't help. As I said, the team feeds off of the crowd. When Cohen hit his three answering Nova's three, if the crowd goes nuts does that help fuel the team on defense? Some say yes. Some say no, but I have never heard a player say, "No, the crowd doesn't matter".

Many times you will hear players say "the atmosphere is electric", and that they "feed off of it". The atmosphere is never electric to start the second half, far from it actually.

Smee
02-24-2015, 06:16 AM
I had a bunch of my housemates and their spouses up (10 guests all sitting together in the high altitude seats) Of course I sat in my seats. A little before the end of half I said "Game is starting, let's go in." They had not seen each other in a couple years and stayed and talked for half of the second half. Only a handful were even casual fans of the team. I saw the whole second half. Not much I could do about it. That is why we are going to rent a box next year so they can talk the whole game and I can sit in the seats outside the box and someone can get beer for me.

GOMU1104
02-24-2015, 08:21 AM
Either you're good or you're bad. We're bad. Fans walking in late has nothing to do with it.

MUFAN2010
02-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Bump