PDA

View Full Version : MU - Villanova Game Thread

IWB
02-21-2015, 01:42 PM
MU off to a nice start, Juan did injure his ankle on Thursday at practice, he is available, not sure he'll play.

Today's officials are Pat Driscoll, Mike Nance & Clarence Armstrong

IWB
02-21-2015, 01:44 PM
A good number of NBA scouts here today including the likes of Larry Harris, Joey Meyer and Jack Fitzgerald, likely watching Villanova's finest. Jerry Palm also in the house today.

IWB
02-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Steve Taylor needed to hit a hoop like that - he builds off of confidence, needs a play like that to build on.

No replays here in the Bradley Center, and poor internet access, was the last foul on Jajuan Johnson clean?

IWB
02-21-2015, 02:03 PM
Juan Anderson has been on and off the stationary bike most of the game, but still hasn't seen time. #6 strong?

IWB
02-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Stat update: At the 7:01 mark Villanova is on top 26-22

Rebounds - Villanova 16-12. (5 offensive leading to 6 2nd chance points.

Turnovers 2-2 (Luke & Jajuan 1 each)

MU shooting 42.9% from field, Villanova shooting 37.5%

Points in Paint - Villanova 8-4

IWB
02-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Replay on the Ts - what happened?

milkbone
02-21-2015, 02:21 PM
Butler down 21 at Xavier in 2nd half.

IrwinFletcher
02-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Replay on the Ts - what happened?

What happened was terrible refereeing. The ref is looking at Wilson and 3 Nova players chirping at each other and does nothing to get in between and break them apart. Only after there is a little shoving does he get in to separate the players. Even with that, really no reason to call double techs.

And of course after something like that, what do regs do? Start calling the game tight and a bunch of ticky tack calls that hurt the team playing with 6 guys.

IWB
02-21-2015, 02:28 PM
I had actually thought they called a T on Villanova players for leaving the bench. As soon as there was a push, there were 7 Villanova players in or near the bench side of the lane.

Markedman
02-21-2015, 02:40 PM
That last foul on JJ was just brutal......I mean it is hard enough to play with 6 guys without this kind of crap officiating.....

I can't wait to have a full team again so Wojo has some options and the players don't have to play while thinking"I can't foul...I can't foul...."

6 guys healthy......I have never seen anything like this.....

IWB
02-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Pretty incredible - talking to several people at the half who sit on various sides of the court, no one seemed to have a bad angle on that one - no foul at all. What's worse, is the player slipped, fell down, and he blows the whistle as the player got back up.

Matt Heldt & Phillip Flory in the house today.

IWB
02-21-2015, 02:54 PM
Markedman is right on - that last hoop by Pinkston was a direct result of "I can't foul...I can't foul!"

TheSultan
02-21-2015, 03:01 PM
I am fairly certain that they called the foul on JJJ, not on the slip, but when Archie kept his dribble...got up...and JJJ moved in front of him. Still wasn't a good call.

And Duane's technical was deserved. No reason to talk in that situation.

IWB
02-21-2015, 03:05 PM
Another crap call, this one on Derrick.

IWB
02-21-2015, 03:10 PM
And on Sandy...

ge1974
02-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Big East has the worst group of officials in the country.

John Cahill should be canned and a much better Director of Officiating needs to be hired who holds these refs accountable.

IWB
02-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Its crazy bad - I don't know that Armstrong has blown his whistle much, but Driscoll & Nance have been a joke.

Markedman
02-21-2015, 03:29 PM
JJ still gets lost on D from time to time but he is showing me something today.........

kneelb4zerg
02-21-2015, 03:33 PM
Weird how bad Duane has been at FT line lately

IWB
02-21-2015, 03:38 PM
MU as a team 11-20 from the line today. Derrick is 1-4 Duane 2-6.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-21-2015, 03:38 PM
JJ still gets lost on D from time to time but he is showing me something today.........

I want to like him more than I do but I can't get past his lack of bball iq on defense. It's mind boggling how bad he is on that end.

IWB
02-21-2015, 03:43 PM
With 2:39 to go in the game, these refs have called a total of 42 fouls.

79warrior
02-21-2015, 03:50 PM
With 2:39 to go in the game, these refs have called a total of 42 fouls.

instead of worrying about freshmen eligibility the ncaa should clean up the officials. Insane there can be that many fouls called.

IWB
02-21-2015, 03:52 PM
Place erupts as Wojo sends in a walk on for the first time this year. #42 Michael Mache. No signs of his brother Matthew getting ready.

IWB
02-21-2015, 03:54 PM
Final Villanova 87 Marquette 76.

Markedman
02-21-2015, 03:57 PM
Really proud of the guys....game could have gotten ugly but never did.....is it my imagination or does JJ's shot look better?

Free throw shooting was abysmal......

Nova is really good

IrwinFletcher
02-21-2015, 04:21 PM
Really proud of the guys....game could have gotten ugly but never did.....is it my imagination or does JJ's shot look better?

Free throw shooting was abysmal......

Nova is really good

Wojo said postgame that JJJ has turned the corner from being a practice player to being a contributor. Good to hear as I think he is the key to the off season.

Markedman
02-21-2015, 04:27 PM
I think what he actually said was he has learned to bring it every day in practice which has lead to his improved play in games....

milkbone
02-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Place erupts as Wojo sends in a walk on for the first time this year. #42 Michael Mache. No signs of his brother Matthew getting ready.

Nick Kapetan
‏@KapN93 Michael Mache led the team with most forced jump balls. If that is a real stat. #mubb

Congrats to Mike

Markedman
02-21-2015, 04:32 PM
Get it all out of the way this year......How do you hurt your ankle while standing by yourself?

Matt Velazquez ‏@Matt_Velazquez 5m5 minutes ago
Wojo also said Juan Anderson hurt himself while standing alone at practice. Rolled his right ankle badly. Freak thing.

TedBaxter
02-21-2015, 05:14 PM
For as much as some MU fans have bagged on Derrick and Juan this year, those two have really helped this team along this year. Derrick does what he can and leads the team and as many saw today, Juan was animated on the bench and that's tough to do when your last college games are counting down and you can't play. Kudo's to both.

Nukem2
02-21-2015, 06:52 PM
Get it all out of the way this year......How do you hurt your ankle while by yourself?

Matt Velazquez ‏@Matt_Velazquez 5m5 minutes ago
Wojo also said Juan Anderson hurt himself while standing alone at practice. Rolled his right ankle badly. Freak thing.

Juan did warm up with the team pre-game and at half-time, but was moving very carefully. No way he could have played.

Proud of the young guys (and Derrick). They played hard and well against a really good Nova team that pressured MU hard in the backcourt in the second half. Our guys bent but never broke. Kudos and a good sign for the future.

Nukem2
02-21-2015, 07:27 PM
For as much as some MU fans have bagged on Derrick and Juan this year, those two have really helped this team along this year. Derrick does what he can and leads the team and as many saw today, Juan was animated on the bench and that's tough to do when your last college games are counting down and you can't play. Kudo's to both.
Yup, no one can criticize the efforts of these two guys. Obviously, they have limitations; but, great effort and leadership. Hope the young guys can learn from the.

ziggysfryboy
02-22-2015, 12:00 AM
It seemed to me (from 413) that the one ref T'ed up a Nova player, then Double T Driscoll ran over and told the original ref to call the Double T.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-22-2015, 06:09 AM
It seemed to me (from 413) that the one ref T'ed up a Nova player, then Double T Driscoll ran over and told the original ref to call the Double T.

I agree with this. Looked pretty clear the first T was just on Nova. Everyone around me was surprised to hear the double T.

MUAlphaBangura
02-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Yup, no one can criticize the efforts of these two guys. Obviously, they have limitations; but, great effort and leadership. Hope the young guys can learn from the.

Yet you managed to do so in the next sentence. :cool:

Nukem2
02-22-2015, 12:00 PM
Yet you managed to do so in the next sentence. :cool:Wait a darn minute here, not a criticism...just reality. Everyone, even DWade when he was at MU, has limitations. Some obviously just more than others. I wear very thick blue and gold glasses, but reality is just reality. Just because a guy works hard does not mean that alums/fans cannot note their limitations on these message boards.

PS, actually I did not criticize their efforts (which is the point of Ted's post that I was responding to). ;)

Djgoldnboy
02-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Weird how bad Duane has been at FT line lately

Yes, Derrick has really taken Duane under his wing and showed him how to do it at the line, haha. I kid, I kid.

02-23-2015, 12:51 PM
Yes, Derrick has really taken Duane under his wing and showed him how to do it at the line, haha. I kid, I kid.

Derrick has also been really bad at the line. I know...Derrick was never good at the line, but he's 6/21 (28.6%) in our last 9 games. He's also been 2/13 from three (15.4%) in the same stretch. Yes...I fully know he's not a great shooter, but before that he was 48.5% from the line and 30.4% beyond the arc for the season.

Though on the plus side, he's averaging 6.0 apg over the same stretch, so it's not all bad.

Nukem2
02-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Derrick has also been really bad at the line. I know...Derrick was never good at the line, but he's 6/21 (28.6%) in our last 9 games. He's also been 2/13 from three (15.4%) in the same stretch. Yes...I fully know he's not a great shooter, but before that he was 48.5% from the line and 30.4% beyond the arc for the season.

Though on the plus side, he's averaging 6.0 apg over the same stretch, so it's not all bad.Hate missing those front ends of one-and-ones though.

02-24-2015, 06:29 AM
Hate missing those front ends of one-and-ones though.

Oh, definitely. At least a month ago you felt he had a 50/50 chance to hit the front end. Now I feel like it's a guaranteed miss. Not just Derrick, either, missing those. The front end of the 1-and-1 is one of the most important shots in the game. Gives you a second chance and, in the event of a miss and offensive rebound, the chance at a 3-point play (or more) in reverse. I definitely feel free throw shooting needs to be much more of a priority going forward. Only one of Buzz's NCAA teams shot less than 72% from the line. Now we've been at 69.0% and 66.7% the past two years. I don't expect us to be 75% or better every year, but certainly we should be in the 72-74% range. Hopefully with a deeper and better roster that will improve.