PDA

View Full Version : Carlino still hasn't practiced

Markedman
02-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Matt Velazquez @Matt_Velazquez · 5m 5 minutes ago
Matt Carlino hasn't practiced this week and remains day-to-day for #mubb. Doesn't look good for him playing tomorrow.

TheSultan
02-20-2015, 01:10 PM
Carlino doesn't play tomorrow, and that game could turn as ugly as the Xavier one.

Nukem2
02-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Hard to see how effective Matt would be without playing or pr acting for over 2 weeks.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Definitely a worry. Was looking forward to him coming back for this one and spurring on the offense. No way I see us beating 'Nova without him (and probably unlikely with him). Disappointing, really like to see him get some action. Still baffling that he went back in against 'Nova the first time.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-20-2015, 01:32 PM
It's great to see how concussion protocol has changed in a relatively short period. As an athlete at Marquette I was diagnosed with 5 concussions - I never missed a game. I'm now paranoid as hell about CTE. Hopefully MU continues to take a cautious approach with Carlino.

MUBasketball
02-20-2015, 01:56 PM
Daaaaaaamn.

Just came on to start a new thread titled "Carlino has to play tomorrow, right?". Bummer.

Gato78
02-20-2015, 01:57 PM
I was concussed during football practice in high school. Coach told me to take a play off. Stood there for a while and went back at it. Times have changed.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Getting back to the topic at hand, and I know this has been discussed a bit either here or on another board - but what are peoples' thoughts - We're obviously a better team with Carlino - there's no denying that (at least I don't think there is). So the issue comes down to is the benefit of the young pups getting thrown to the wolves even more so now with no Carlino worth the potential damaging mental effects of continuing to pile up ugly losses (I understand I am making an assumption that they continue to lose, which may or may not be true).

My vote is I like that despite a probable continued pattern of losses and it hurting the player's psyche, they are getting even more tick and it benefits the program - It truly forces guys to step up and be an even more integral part of the team. Can't hide behind Carlino now so to speak.

IWB
02-20-2015, 02:09 PM
I had a few concussions back in my day. Never told anyone or you might not go back in.

When you look at how much we know now as opposed to back then, it is a whole different game. Dr. Mike McCrae is one of the best in the world at this and his group just got funding for several more years of research. He is on the sidelines for every Packers game and studies players from the NFL all the way down to grade school. Last year they studied a handful of players on my team, one of which was my son. They take them aside at the beginning of the season and run them through a bunch of questions and basic physical tasks. At the end of the season they do the same to see if there are any changes.

In all of the time I have been coaching different youth sports (26 different teams in all) I have only seen two concussions. One kid had a mild concussion and was back within a week, the other was severe and he was done for the season. Dr. McCrae handled that one and the kid is fine now as he played the next sport in line, but his was pretty severe.

Carlino's must be severe, obviously one hell of a fall, but the time to return all depends on how he responds to the tests. With a concussion there isn't exactly the typical rehab that you have with an ankle or knee, you basically stay away from bright lights and loud noises. When you pass the tests - you are good to go. Will he be effective without having practiced? Who knows, but just because he hasn't practiced doesn't mean he won't play. If they give him the tests tomorrow and he clears - he will play, simple as that.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-20-2015, 02:14 PM
The tests you speak of are all compared to his baseline testing done at the beginning of the season correct? So if he gets back to his baseline, he is good to go?

Goose85
02-20-2015, 02:18 PM
I was concussed during football practice in high school. Coach told me to take a play off. Stood there for a while and went back at it. Times have changed.

Happened all the time back in the day. Heck, there were years when I wore a suspension helmet in grade school in the late 70's (no padding). I've heard players from the Packer glory years era talk about going back in with likely concussions all the time.
Now from grade school through the pros, very little full hitting at practices - far from the old days, and that is a good thing.

I wonder if someone using steroids / human growth hormones, and at the same time getting concussions may have an accelerating effect on something like CTE.
Otherwise, it just seems like there should be so many former players (high school though pros) from the 60's and 70's would have had CTE at an early age.

Heck, back in the day Deacon Jones signature move was a head slap - I'm sure he concussed many on just that move. Now we've seen soccer and baseball players being diagnosed with CTE at early ages.

IWB
02-20-2015, 02:18 PM
BASELINE! That was the word I was looking for earlier. When they studied the kids on our team they did the baseline tests in the beginning of the season.

Good question, all depends on whether or not they did baseline testing in the beginning of the season, but yes - that would be the proper protocol.

TheSultan
02-20-2015, 02:20 PM
Getting back to the topic at hand, and I know this has been discussed a bit either here or on another board - but what are peoples' thoughts - We're obviously a better team with Carlino - there's no denying that (at least I don't think there is). So the issue comes down to is the benefit of the young pups getting thrown to the wolves even more so now with no Carlino worth the potential damaging mental effects of continuing to pile up ugly losses (I understand I am making an assumption that they continue to lose, which may or may not be true).

My vote is I like that despite a probable continued pattern of losses and it hurting the player's psyche, they are getting even more tick and it benefits the program - It truly forces guys to step up and be an even more integral part of the team. Can't hide behind Carlino now so to speak.

I don't really know if young players get appreciably better by giving out the minutes that Carlino would have played.

DCwarrior
02-20-2015, 02:21 PM
One of my staff was in a fender bender a month ago (no damage to her car to show how soft the collision was) and the back of her head hit the head-rest. She worked the next couple of days after and then developed cuncussion symptoms. For 3 weeks after, she was on bed rest in the dark and not allowed to read or watch TV. She came back to work PT this week for 2 days and starting getting migranes again and is back on bed rest. Bottom line is cuncussions symptoms can greatly vary from person to person.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-20-2015, 02:32 PM
I don't really know if young players get appreciably better by giving out the minutes that Carlino would have played.

Yeah I don't know either. I'm kind of on the fence, but lean towards viewing them at least benefitting (not getting hurt) from Carlino's absense, if that makes sense.