PDA

View Full Version : Depaul Arena

Markedman
02-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Anybody know projected capacity? Looks pretty cool....

https://twitter.com/bbpassport/status/568072411205259264/photo/1

Goose85
02-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Article indicates it will be 10,000 capacity and will be the location for DePaul games as well as practices for Men and Women teams.
55 story hotel going up across the street too.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150217/south-loop/depaul-arena-hotel-construction-begin-this-summer-near-mccormick-place

TheSultan
02-18-2015, 01:55 PM
They are going to practice as the place too? That is bizarre. It's 8 miles from campus...and on the other side of downtown Chicago.

NOTE: The article doesn't actually say they will practice there. Was that an error that was removed?

Goose85
02-18-2015, 02:21 PM
It is still in the section that has captions next to the various artist renditions.

"The new DePaul arena will seat 10,000 and host both the men's and women's basketball games and practices."

MayorBeluga
02-18-2015, 02:44 PM
So instead of 16,000 empty seats in the Horizon, there will be 9,000 empty seats in the new arena? The same 1,000 people will fill 10% of the seats in the new place rather than 6% of seats at the old place. Progress!

Nukem2
02-18-2015, 02:52 PM
So instead of 16,000 empty seats in the Horizon, there will be 9,000 empty seats in the new arena? The same 1,000 people will fill 10% of the seats in the new place rather than 6% of seats at the old place. Progress!
Well, at least the crowd will look larger....;)

The Reptile
02-18-2015, 03:16 PM

Isn't that the same logic that UWM uses?

unclejohn
02-19-2015, 11:48 AM
DePaul is going to draw much better the first year it opens for novelty alone. It will also draw more just because of the location. I know people get hung up on the distance, but trust me, this is a much better location. You could almost get to Milwaukee in the time it takes to get from DePaul to Rosemont. The new place will be just a quick run down Lake Shore Drive, which even in heavy traffic tends to move pretty well. During non-peak hours, it is fifteen minutes.

DCwarrior
02-19-2015, 11:53 AM
The drawing of the inside reminds me a little of U of Pitt's arena

mufan2003
02-19-2015, 01:17 PM
DePaul is going to draw much better the first year it opens for novelty alone. It will also draw more just because of the location. I know people get hung up on the distance, but trust me, this is a much better location. You could almost get to Milwaukee in the time it takes to get from DePaul to Rosemont. The new place will be just a quick run down Lake Shore Drive, which even in heavy traffic tends to move pretty well. During non-peak hours, it is fifteen minutes.

Agreed. We have all been critical of DePaul, saying they need to invest more in their program and make smarter decisions. This is a very good first step.

Goose85
02-19-2015, 02:23 PM
It would sure help the Big East if the team in Chicago was relevant.

IWB
02-19-2015, 06:16 PM
No question. DePaul sucking has been great for Marquette, but DePaul being good would be great for the Big East.

warriorfan4life
02-19-2015, 06:28 PM
I think it is much more important for St. John's to be good and ignite the New York market. I have always argued that there is potential for DePaul in Chicago, but believe it be tenfold for the Johnnies in New York. While DePaul will never fully capture the Chicago collegiate market (sadly it's too much in B1G country), I think St. John's could really be New York's college basketball team (and hell, New York's basketball team period with the current Knicks and Nets struggles looking to be long-term). Regardless of how they finish this season, they need to can Lavin and lay out big $$$$ for a top coach (first calls for me would be Billy Donovan and Jamie Dixon).

MUBasketball
02-19-2015, 06:46 PM
I think it is much more important for St. John's to be good and ignite the New York market. I have always argued that there is potential for DePaul in Chicago, but believe it be tenfold for the Johnnies in New York. While DePaul will never fully capture the Chicago collegiate market (sadly it's too much in B1G country), I think St. John's could really be New York's college basketball team (and hell, New York's basketball team period with the current Knicks and Nets struggles looking to be long-term). Regardless of how they finish this season, they need to can Lavin and lay out big $$$$ for a top coach (first calls for me would be Billy Donovan and Jamie Dixon).

Billy Donovan? The same guy who turned down Kentucky and the NBA? Little tipsy tonight?!

TheSultan
02-19-2015, 06:49 PM
I have no clue why Donovan or Dixon would have any interest in the St. Johns job.

EDIT to add....Pat Forde just wrote this article about Seton Hall and St. Johns, and concluded they should look at Dan or Bob Hurley.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-to-revive-new-york-area-s-struggling-college-hoops-scene-223801988.html

warriorfan4life
02-19-2015, 07:40 PM
I know St. John's flirted a bit with Donovan when they hired Lavin, but that's admittedly a huge long shot. I do not believe that Florida is his final job, but much more likely he finally gives the NBA a try.

Dixon on the other hand I believe to be far more attainable. I think he's much more comfortable as a Big East coach, and believe that this year is the beginning of a slow but steady decline of the Pitt program in the ACC (see Boston College). Where I think Donovan moving on is more of a hazy when, I think there is a real chance that Dixon moves on this offseason. Along with the conference move, it feels a bit stale for him at Pitt in general.