PDA

View Full Version : OT: Congrats to the now ranked MU Men's LAX team.

The Reptile
02-16-2015, 09:50 AM
After beating two ranked teams in the road the Marquette Men's lacrosse team is being ranked today in a number of unofficial polls. The expectation is that they will be ranked in the top 20 of the polls that count. Congrats to the team and coaching staff for the first LAX ranking in school history. And for those here who said we had no business starting a lacrosse program I hear that crow tastes best cold.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/polls/DI

MUMac
02-16-2015, 09:52 AM
After beating two ranked teams in the road the Marquette Men's lacrosse team is being ranked today in a number of unofficial polls. The expectation is that they will be ranked in the top 20 of the polls that count. Congrats to the team and coaching staff for the first LAX ranking in school history. And for those here who said we had no business starting a lacrosse program I hear that crow tastes best cold.

Larry is gone.

The Reptile
02-16-2015, 10:04 AM
Larry wasn't alone in the sentiment.

MU Viking
02-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Joe Amplo is a fantastic coach and evaluator of talent. The fact that he got a fledgling program that didn't exist a handful of years ago ranked this quickly, in a sport that is so heavily dominated by the East Coast, is absolutely remarkable. Marquette is fortunate to have him.

MUBasketball
02-16-2015, 12:05 PM
Joe Amplo is a fantastic coach and evaluator of talent. The fact that he got a fledgling program that didn't exist a handful of years ago ranked this quickly, in a sport that is so heavily dominated by the East Coast, is absolutely remarkable. Marquette is fortunate to have him.

Can Marquette keep him? Not sure what the level of commitment is to lacrosse compared to other schools.

DCwarrior
02-16-2015, 01:23 PM
Larry wasn't alone in the sentiment.

Even if they win the National Championship, I'll have to agree with Larry on this one. Unless and until the sport can break even (which will be never), the athletic department simply can't afford this expensive sport that will never generate any media exposure/PR. Even here in the DC area, I've never once read or heard anything about Maryland's team and they have one of the best programs in the country. The money could be better spent on the hoops program or improving the sports/facilities that existed before LAX was added.

TheSultan
02-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Even if they win the National Championship, I'll have to agree with Larry on this one. Unless and until the sport can break even (which will be never), the athletic department simply can't afford this expensive sport that will never generate any media exposure/PR. Even here in the DC area, I've never once read or heard anything about Maryland's team and they have one of the best programs in the country. The money could be better spent on the hoops program or improving the sports/facilities that existed before LAX was added.

So two administrations, overseen by the Board of Trustees, are intentionally keeping a sport around that they "simply can't afford?"

Of course they can afford it.

Gato78
02-16-2015, 02:06 PM
Let's review: Lacrosse was started in order to prevent us from being separated from the BIG EAST powers like Syracuse and Notre Dame and to differentiate us from DePaul and Seton Hall in the old BIG EAST. It was really a good idea because it was done knowing there would be upheaval in conferences and we wanted to be closer to the East Coast schools who formed the heart of the conference. There were two other motives: 1) We wanted to be in the forefront of lacrosse growth across the country and in the Midwest in particular; and 2) lacrosse recruiting got us into the schools where we had been traditionally strong both in Illinois and on the east coast--a visibility factor. We started it and then, unfortunately, our Athletic Director was fired by our president--who hadn't even started his job. Cottingham, Broeker, Kliebhan and Fr. Wild all thought lacrosse was a wise move for a variety of reasons. Larry Williams didn't embrace it, for sure. He thought it was ill conceived, and it may seem that way now after the BIG EAST morphed into its current state. At the time it was a good move. I know Joe Amplo is very well thought of at MU and he has done an excellent job. It looks likes we are building a field house for lacrosse and soccer. I don't think it will be leaving MU any time soon.

The Reptile
02-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Let's review: Lacrosse was started in order to prevent us from being separated from the BIG EAST powers like Syracuse and Notre Dame and to differentiate us from DePaul and Seton Hall in the old BIG EAST. It was really a good idea because it was done knowing there would be upheaval in conferences and we wanted to be closer to the East Coast schools who formed the heart of the conference. There were two other motives: 1) We wanted to be in the forefront of lacrosse growth across the country and in the Midwest in particular; and 2) lacrosse recruiting got us into the schools where we had been traditionally strong both in Illinois and on the east coast--a visibility factor. We started it and then, unfortunately, our Athletic Director was fired by our president--who hadn't even started his job. Cottingham, Broeker, Kliebhan and Fr. Wild all thought lacrosse was a wise move for a variety of reasons. Larry Williams didn't embrace it, for sure. He thought it was ill conceived, and it may seem that way now after the BIG EAST morphed into its current state. At the time it was a good move. I know Joe Amplo is very well thought of at MU and he has done an excellent job. It looks likes we are building a field house for lacrosse and soccer. I don't think it will be leaving MU any time soon.

Separation was not really the primary issue. At the time, we only had 12 sports competing in the BE and that was among the fewest in D1. Adding 2 teams put us to 14 and closer to parity among the Catholic schools in the BE. Lacrosse made sense given our conference affiliation and the growth in the sport nationally. An added benefit was that at the time there were fewer than 60 schools in D1 giving us a decent chance to compete early on.

Well, the logic paid off. We're still with the Catholic schools. The BE has an AQ to the NCAA tournament (even though we had to add Denver as an associate member). And now, at the start of year 3 we are ranked and are beating other ranked teams.

IWB
02-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Gato is right, and in regards to the rankings.... When the decision was made Mike Broeker had said that they really wanted to cement Marquette in the Big East by bringing in another sport that was solid in the Big East. They analyzed all of the sports and felt that in LAX, there were and handful of perennial powers, about 25 strong programs, and then the rest. Out of all of the sports they looked at, they felt that Lacrosse was the one where they could quickly gain traction into the top of that "next 25" category.

Mission accomplished.

79warrior
02-16-2015, 02:31 PM
Gato is right, and in regards to the rankings.... When the decision was made Mike Broeker had said that they really wanted to cement Marquette in the Big East by bringing in another sport that was solid in the Big East. They analyzed all of the sports and felt that in LAX, there were and handful of perennial powers, about 25 strong programs, and then the rest. Out of all of the sports they looked at, they felt that Lacrosse was the one where they could quickly gain traction into the top of that "next 25" category.

Mission accomplished.

Dr. Lovell was talking about the program last week in Los Angeles. He really likes the program and mentioned that the new facility being built will include Lacrosse.

MU88
02-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Just on the men's side, MU's lacrosse team has 46 athletes , but only 12.6 scholarships. Tuition plus room & board is about $47,000 this year at MU. So, if lacrosse is fully funded (which I don't believe it is), the 12.6 scholarships would cost MU $592,200 including room & board (this cost is merely the "on paper" cost. But for R & B, we all know that the scholarships are merely monies MU "pays" itself. Having 12.6 extra bodies on campus actually costs the school virtually nothing). Tuition at MU is $35,480. So, for the 33.4 paying students that are at MU for lacrosse, MU receives $1,185,032 in tuition payments in real cash (I excluded room and board from the non-scholarship numbers since I am assuming that all r & b monies are spent on r & b). According to the department of education, MU spent $760,995 on men's lacrosse last year, total, versus $10.5 million on men's hoops. I don't know if the lacrosse number includes scholarships, but I would not doubt it. If it doesn't, worst case scenario is that MU lost around $168,163 "on paper" by offering lacrosse. However, since most sports at MU are not fully funded, it would not surprise me if the $760,995 number includes scholarship expenses. So, in that case, MU actually earns just over $400,000 "on paper" by having lacrosse. Further, as described above, the incremental cost of having 12.6 extra students on campus is virtually nothing. So, the tuition costs of $447,000 attributable to the 12.6 lacrosse players scholarships are just imaginary. Hence, you are actually looking at a profit closer to $1 million. Not bad.

Lacrosse is a relatively cheap sport. I would guess travel would be the most expensive cost. Coaches salaries are low. In view of the numbers described above, I would guess lacrosse has been a highly lucrative addition to the athletic department.

As a side note, MU has 7 coaches for its men's team who were paid a combined, $2.265 million last year. That included Buzz, who probably received $1.8 million from MU. So, the average head coaching salary at MU is less than $100,000 for each men's sport.

TheSultan
02-16-2015, 03:05 PM
Just on the men's side, MU's lacrosse team has 46 athletes , but only 12.6 scholarships. Tuition plus room & board is about $47,000 this year at MU. So, if lacrosse is fully funded (which I don't believe it is), the 12.6 scholarships would cost MU $592,200 including room & board (this cost is merely the "on paper" cost. But for R & B, we all know that the scholarships are merely monies MU "pays" itself. Having 12.6 extra bodies on campus actually costs the school virtually nothing). Tuition at MU is $35,480. So, for the 33.4 paying students that are at MU for lacrosse, MU receives $1,185,032 in tuition payments in real cash (I excluded room and board from the non-scholarship numbers since I am assuming that all r & b monies are spent on r & b). According to the department of education, MU spent $760,995 on men's lacrosse last year, total, versus $10.5 million on men's hoops. I don't know if the lacrosse number includes scholarships, but I would not doubt it. If it doesn't, worst case scenario is that MU lost around $168,163 "on paper" by offering lacrosse. However, since most sports at MU are not fully funded, it would not surprise me if the $760,995 number includes scholarship expenses. So, in that case, MU actually earns just over $400,000 "on paper" by having lacrosse. Further, as described above, the incremental cost of having 12.6 extra students on campus is virtually nothing. So, the tuition costs of $447,000 attributable to the 12.6 lacrosse players scholarships are just imaginary. Hence, you are actually looking at a profit closer to $1 million. Not bad.

Lacrosse is a relatively cheap sport. I would guess travel would be the most expensive cost. Coaches salaries are low. In view of the numbers described above, I would guess lacrosse has been a highly lucrative addition to the athletic department.

As a side note, MU has 7 coaches for its men's team who were paid a combined, $2.265 million last year. That included Buzz, who probably received $1.8 million from MU. So, the average head coaching salary at MU is less than $100,000 for each men's sport.

Excellent analysis.

Over on Scoop, someone mentioned that coaches at even the highest level programs make more of their money through camps. And they can do that almost anywhere, and since Amplo has no real competition locally, it is likely pretty lucrative for him. They also mentioned that is likely why Denver's head coach moved from power house Princeton to a start up program.

BLT
02-17-2015, 12:45 AM
A year ago at a B&G brunch, Cords said lacrosse was fully funded. I think track & field lags. Things could have changed in a year but the new AD and President seem to know how to fundraise versus complain.

MU/Panther
02-17-2015, 10:39 AM
MU is #17
https://twitter.com/muathletics/status/567360052949188609/photo/1