PDA

View Full Version : Sina leaving Seton Hall

jpvegas52
02-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Sina, who hit some big 3's vs MU is leaving the Seton Hall team immediately. Looks like some internal strife is responsible.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2015/02/11/seton-hall-basketball-jaren-sina/23231845/

DCwarrior
02-12-2015, 08:13 AM
I really believe we'll see Danny Hurley coaching in the Big East next year - either at Seton Hall or at St. Johns

MUBasketball
02-12-2015, 10:11 AM
I really believe we'll see Danny Hurley coaching in the Big East next year - either at Seton Hall or at St. Johns

Right when it looked like Willard was turning the corner, this appears to be a major blow. Not just losing a key player like Sina, but the rumored issues between Gibbs and Whitehead. If they unravel and bomb the rest of the season, is Willard back?

St. John's I THINK sneaks into the tournament. If so, Lavin is back. Hell, he might be back regardless.

Goose85
02-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Right when it looked like Willard was turning the corner, this appears to be a major blow. Not just losing a key player like Sina, but the rumored issues between Gibbs and Whitehead. If they unravel and bomb the rest of the season, is Willard back?

St. John's I THINK sneaks into the tournament. If so, Lavin is back. Hell, he might be back regardless.

While Sena is looking to play elsewhere for his last two seasons, I'd think both Gibbs and Whitehead will be back next year.
If Willard plans to coach there next season, he better get that dynamic figured out quickly.

warriorfan4life
02-12-2015, 12:41 PM
While Sena is looking to play elsewhere for his last two seasons, I'd think both Gibbs and Whitehead will be back next year.
If Willard plans to coach there next season, he better get that dynamic figured out quickly.

As I alluded to in the Xavier game thread, Gibbs is basically out the door already. He should graduate in the spring, and does not get along with Hall's freshman class (especially Whitehead). Losing a good friend from the team in Sina likely punctuates his departure. Looks like Hall will be a real dumpster fire to clean up for the next coach.

MUAlphaBangura
02-12-2015, 01:12 PM
As I alluded to in the Xavier game thread, Gibbs is basically out the door already. He should graduate in the spring, and does not get along with Hall's freshman class (especially Whitehead). Losing a good friend from the team in Sina likely punctuates his departure. Looks like Hall will be a real dumpster fire to clean up for the next coach.

Well, that's one team we should be able to jump over next season! :cool:

Nukem2
02-12-2015, 01:17 PM
As I alluded to in the Xavier game thread, Gibbs is basically out the door already. He should graduate in the spring, and does not get along with Hall's freshman class (especially Whitehead). Losing a good friend from the team in Sina likely punctuates his departure. Looks like Hall will be a real dumpster fire to clean up for the next coach.Wonder if Whitehead will jump for NBA draft...? Highly rated recruit who was very good earlier this year, but who has been selfish and ineffective since his return from injury.

mufan2003
02-12-2015, 03:41 PM
Seton Hall started out Big East play 3-1 without Whitehead, with a big win over Villanova. They beat us easily without Whitehead at the BC. Whitehead has the warning signs of wanting to get to the NBA as soon as possible (reminds me of Dominic Cheek and Malique Wayns at Villanova, highly acclaimed coming out of high school and left after their junior years. Never drafted, not in the NBA. Villanova did not do very well with them)

With Sina only being a sophomore, IMO they would have been better off in the long run having Sina stay for 4 years and losing Whitehead. Even if Whitehead returns for next year, I just can't see him staying any longer than 2 years. He is a black hole, he gets the ball and teammates never get it back. He clearly has great natural ability, but no clue how to play the game the right way. I like Kevin Willard, Seton Hall has been bad for a while, I hope Willard can get Whitehead to play the right way and Seton Hall can finish strong. Seton Hall has had a resurgence in attendance this year, a shame that they are on a downward spiral.

MUwarrior1090
02-12-2015, 05:11 PM

So are graduate transfers different than regular transfers? Gibbs to MU!

warriorfan4life
02-12-2015, 06:45 PM
So are graduate transfers different than regular transfers? Gibbs to MU!

No transfers between Big East schools period. That said, I will gladly capitalize on a similar situation from any other conference (like say Nic Moore).

MUwarrior1090
02-12-2015, 06:59 PM
That's what I thought but didn't know if there'd be an exception w graduates. Moore would be my dream.

Markedman
02-16-2015, 02:04 PM
5 star recruits are great but you have to do your homework.........http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/16/report-racial-tension-isaiah-whiteheads-posse-caused-rift-at-seton-hall/

milkbone
02-16-2015, 06:22 PM
If that's true about Whiteheads "posse" you got to think Willard is finished by or at the end of the year.

MulliganMusings
02-17-2015, 07:31 AM
The interesting twist on this is that Sina's father Mergin (who I actually got to know from pickup games in Brooklyn back in 1984-85) played at Seton Hall. Elder Sina is now a high school basketball coach in Jersey I believe at a parochial high school.

Goose85
02-17-2015, 08:24 AM
Further melt down at Seton Hall. I'm guessing Willard can't wait for the season to end.

Gibbs flat out hits Arcidiacono in the head while he is on the ground. I don't blame Sina for getting the heck out of there.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/big-east-to-review-sterling-gibbs-elbow-of-ryan-arcidiacono/

TheSultan
02-17-2015, 09:22 AM
The interesting twist on this is that Sina's father Mergin (who I actually got to know from pickup games in Brooklyn back in 1984-85) played at Seton Hall. Elder Sina is now a high school basketball coach in Jersey I believe at a parochial high school.

The elder Sina is now downplaying the racial aspect, but that could be for his son's own good. He wouldn't want that hanging over any transfer.