Markedman
02-04-2015, 06:20 PM
I'm already losing count of the missed layups

Markedman
02-04-2015, 06:25 PM
11 straight missed shots

ge1974
02-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Worst shooting team from 2 feet out EVER!

Markedman
02-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Novas D completly shutting us down....our guards just aren't creating anything

TheSultan
02-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Simply don't have the horses. This is gonna get ugly.

MayorBeluga
02-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Sigh. 'nuff said

TallTitan34
02-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Nova may go the whole half without fouling....

Markedman
02-04-2015, 06:42 PM
So Nova is playing tough hard nosed man to man D and have not committed 1 foul in the whole first half.......

At least JJ finally made a 3.......

Nukem2
02-04-2015, 06:43 PM
Simply don't have the horses. This is gonna get ugly.
As I've said all season. Enjoy the development. Ugly. Yeah, but gotta work thru it. Some of you guys are just negative nellies ( thats for you, Kneelzeberg).

Markedman
02-04-2015, 06:48 PM
This is the worst MU offensive team since?

RJax55
02-04-2015, 06:53 PM
This the worst MU offensive team since?

The '04-'05 team without Diener

ge1974
This is the worst MU offensive team since?

I would say 1936.

ge1974
I see very little if any leadership on this team.

Nukem2
02-04-2015, 06:57 PM
I see very little if any leadership on this team.
The problem is that the returning seniors have minimal offensive skills and the lone junior has lost his mojo since surgery. Add in the coaching change..recipe for disaster.

Markedman
02-04-2015, 06:58 PM
Hasn't really been any for 2 years now......it's hard when your seniors don't have much talent...other then Carlino who only got here this summer.

Nukem2
02-04-2015, 07:02 PM
The other thing about this group is the lack of physical length and strength. Nova is just overpowering us.

Gato78
02-04-2015, 07:04 PM
This is simply the Brent Williams hangover season. He split, left the cupboards bare and now we are seeing why he decided to get out of Dodge. If we didn't have Carlino, we would be beyond awful offensively--we are just really awful right now. We had much more talent last year and we did better but still had a bad season. Buzz saw this fall off and it is all on him. Glad he is gone.

MayorBeluga
02-04-2015, 07:08 PM
This is simply the Brent Williams hangover season. He split, left the cupboards bare and now we are seeing why he decided to get out of Dodge. If we didn't have Carlino, we would be beyond awful offensively--we are just really awful right now. We had much more talent last year and we did better but still had a bad season. Buzz saw this fall off and it is all on him. Glad he is gone.

Agree with Gato. Last year's team was more talented but gave up on Brent. This year's team is not talented but does not appear to have given up - they're just not good.

RJax55
02-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Never seen a player gamble and miss on steals more than JJJ. That last three was on him and a perfect example why he doesn't get more minutes.

Nukem2
02-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Agree with Gato. Last year's team was more talented but gave up on Brent. This year's team is not talented but does not appear to have given up - they're just not good.Don't know that they are not good. Just missing pieces, suare pegs for round holes, graduations, coaching change, reneging recruits, inexperience, returning upperclassmen who lack offensive skills, etc. a perfect storm.

MayorBeluga
02-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Don't know that they are not good. Just missing pieces, suare pegs for round holes, graduations, coaching change, reneging recruits, inexperience, returning upperclassmen who lack offensive skills, etc. a perfect storm.

Sorry -quick typing. Not a good team b/c missing pieces, etc. you said it better than I did

Markedman
02-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Those are just reasons why they aren't good......this level of talent is embarrassing and Gato is right it is all on Buzz

mufan2003
02-04-2015, 07:29 PM

Yes, and last year not winning the conference as we were picked to by the coaches was aided by Vander Blue leaving after his junior year.

Nukem2
02-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Buxx could not get it done without Crean's leftovers, Jucos and transfers. Quite simple once the Juco stream died out due to amins.

MU/Panther
02-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Buxx could not get it done without Crean's leftovers, Jucos and transfers. Quite simple once the Juco stream died out due to amins.
Help me out, Marquette can still recruit jucos?

Nukem2
02-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Help me out, Marquette can still recruit jucos?
Yes, but...........

Markedman
02-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Nova shooting 35% and up 20

Markedman
02-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Why is Sandy creating a 3 point look for JJ and not the other way around? Lol.....I know it isn't that simple but geez....

warriorfan4life
02-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Yes, but...........

As long as they can graduate on time, we will still recruit JUCOS (and expect there to be one signed in the spring). I think that is a fair expectation, especially since every player that finished their eligibility under Crean at Marquette graduated.

Nukem2
02-04-2015, 08:14 PM
As long as they can graduate on time, we will still recruit JUCOS (and expect there to be one signed in the spring). I think that is a fair expectation, especially since every player that finished their eligibility under Crean at Marquette graduated.
The operative phrase there is "finished their eligibility"... Lots of transfers.

warriorfan4life
02-04-2015, 08:51 PM
The operative phrase there is "finished their eligibility"... Lots of transfers.

I hope Wojo is much better then his predecessors is retaining his own players (not going to judge Wojo on any Buzz player that transfers). That said, Crean was great in making sure the kids that stayed got their degrees.

Nukem2
02-04-2015, 08:58 PM
I hope Wojo is much better then his predecessors is retaining his own players (not going to judge Wojo on any Buzz player that transfers). That said, Crean was great in making sure the kids that stayed got their degrees.
True. But not so sure about all those that left.

Nukem2
02-04-2015, 09:18 PM
My first impression last Fall is that this is a small, non-physical team. Still have that impression.

79warrior
02-04-2015, 09:56 PM
My first impression last Fall is that this is a small, non-physical team. Still have that impression.

Cohen, JJJ and Duane are all slight. not strong enough for the BE right now. Derrick and Carlino have the best body types on the team for the BE.

BLT
02-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Buzz would have had Shayok, Pierce, Cohen and Hill here (and Harris I guess), knowing it was a rebuilding year. Mayo would have been here too, as would have Burton and Dawson. Taylor and JJJ would have been gone, but Duane and Luke would have been off redshirt to go with Juan and Derrick. That would have been a much better team, at least offensively and higher on the upside. But it went to hell in a hand basket fast. Not sure that is a Buzz hangover, though.

The one area of concern, or maybe of slight blame on Wojo, is the departures: Todd, Levin, Burton and Dawson (and the mystery walk on who never showed). There are reasons for all of these--mostly not being Wojo guys--which is to be expected in coach transition. With the three recruits who went elsewhere, that is a change of seven scholarship players. Add in Wally and Matt, that is nine. Wow...so my blame on Wojo: He should have made his cuts in April and thus not leaving the holes or as many. At Tech, Buzz went right to work clearing the timber. Tough I know, but the end is the same except Buzz is a year closer to rebuilding. That would have meant JUCO's in April and MU admin would have been troubled with that. However, we have to go there now this year anyway. Lost opportunity, IMO, that has set back the program considerably.

kneelb4zerg
02-05-2015, 02:56 AM
I think it has been well documented here and elsewhere that Mayo would not be here no matter the coach.

Not sure how you can blame Wojo for not making 'cuts' in the spring in any of the others (Levin left over the summer after being here a few months - wouldn't have helped this year, so who cares?) Dawson just wasn't a high major guy and Burton didn't fit in then his mom died.

Besides, what do you even mean by 'cuts'? It's not like he could have replaced them with anyone else for this year's purposes.

All in all this is a very strange and misguided critique.

Buzz would have had Shayok, Pierce, Cohen and Hill here (and Harris I guess), knowing it was a rebuilding year. Mayo would have been here too, as would have Burton and Dawson. Taylor and JJJ would have been gone, but Duane and Luke would have been off redshirt to go with Juan and Derrick. That would have been a much better team, at least offensively and higher on the upside. But it went to hell in a hand basket fast. Not sure that is a Buzz hangover, though.

The one area of concern, or maybe of slight blame on Wojo, is the departures: Todd, Levin, Burton and Dawson (and the mystery walk on who never showed). There are reasons for all of these--mostly not being Wojo guys--which is to be expected in coach transition. With the three recruits who went elsewhere, that is a change of seven scholarship players. Add in Wally and Matt, that is nine. Wow...so my blame on Wojo: He should have made his cuts in April and thus not leaving the holes or as many. At Tech, Buzz went right to work clearing the timber. Tough I know, but the end is the same except Buzz is a year closer to rebuilding. That would have meant JUCO's in April and MU admin would have been troubled with that. However, we have to go there now this year anyway. Lost opportunity, IMO, that has set back the program considerably.

BLT
02-05-2015, 06:10 AM
I think it has been well documented here and elsewhere that Mayo would not be here no matter the coach.

Not sure how you can blame Wojo for not making 'cuts' in the spring in any of the others (Levin left over the summer after being here a few months - wouldn't have helped this year, so who cares?) Dawson just wasn't a high major guy and Burton didn't fit in then his mom died.

Besides, what do you even mean by 'cuts'? It's not like he could have replaced them with anyone else for this year's purposes.

All in all this is a very strange and misguided critique.

I have seen no documentation here that Mayo would have been gone no matter the coach. Could be wrong but if so, why wasn't his spot filled versus left open? Levin left October 16 and would have he would have been the start of the rebuilding process. Instead, MU has to again fill both of these spots with two guys. Dawson played a steady role last season, and had high major offers. Is he a high major role player? Yes, and don't we need those? Burton was not a fit either as you say, so call it early.

As to strange or misguided, it goes on all the time with a new coach. Start your regime with your guys. Call it what you will, but this is a wasted year of rebuilding with all those open slots. So, it starts right now in Year 2, that's all. He gave it a try with the current guys...it didn't work out for the most part. So it is on to Year 2 to start the rebuilding anyway.

What's your take?

TedBaxter
02-05-2015, 06:16 AM
If you want to make "cuts" as you refer to them, follow professional sports. The running of players is BS in college athletics.

Wojo did the right thing and didn't rush into filling scholarships. It might seem the wrong thing short term, but in the long run it's best.

21rooster
02-05-2015, 06:45 AM
Last night the team played like a team whose will had been broken by the stretch of close losses. Hopefully Wojo can get the team back.

Buzz may be a coward, but he's a smart coward. He knew what he had coming back. Yes, he had a highly regarded Freshman class...but he also didn't have Carlino. I can't imagine how bad this team would be without Carlino. Last year it was his choice to leave. This season I'm not sure if he would have had a choice.

BLT
02-05-2015, 07:07 AM
If you want to make "cuts" as you refer to them, follow professional sports. The running of players is BS in college athletics.

Wojo did the right thing and didn't rush into filling scholarships. It might seem the wrong thing short term, but in the long run it's best.

Listen, I like Wojo because he was the right program and school fit and he worked hard to give the incumbents a chance. Natural selection ran its course, however.

The competitive reality is as Kneel said, these kids were not good fits. And what happened (they left because it isn't a good fit) is the same result as "cutting" (my word, not on Wojo but that is what it would have been in. April 2014) but a year later--with Wojo scrambling late to fill spots with Jucos and Super Seniors. Hard reality today, but one could argue the kids would have been better off earlier? As kneel even points out, most of this was known or was predictable anyway. Why delay the inevitable? That is not good for anybody in the end as harsh as that is.

Any way, retrospect is not worth much other than to learn from your mistakes and move on which is what Wojo is doing. That is the most commendable thing.

kneelb4zerg
02-05-2015, 07:36 AM
I don't think you will get 'documentation' on why Mayo left but read between the lines - no one decides to go pro late summer unless he had no other options.

Either way I feel it is best that he is gone regardless. And as Ted said, I don't fault Wojo for not wasting spots on marginal players - the type that are available after the coaching carousel stops spinning. Hence the turnover, the rebuild, and the short roster.

kneelb4zerg
02-05-2015, 07:50 AM
As for running Dawson and Burton right away, maybe they didn't want to leave, and conversely, maybe Wojo thought they could be a fit if they worked hard enough and bought in to Wojo's scheme.

Gato78
02-05-2015, 08:29 AM
We would have lost, per rumors, Duane Wilson, Steve Taylor Jr. and JuJuan Johnson if Buzz had stayed. No Carlino. In exchange, we get Pierce, Shayok and Med Hill. Perhaps Burton and Dawson stay. I think we would be in the same boat if Buzz had stayed.

Last night the team played like a team whose will had been broken by the stretch of close losses. Hopefully Wojo can get the team back.

Buzz may be a coward, but he's a smart coward. He knew what he had coming back. Yes, he had a highly regarded Freshman class...but he also didn't have Carlino. I can't imagine how bad this team would be without Carlino. Last year it was his choice to leave. This season I'm not sure if he would have had a choice.

MayorBeluga
02-05-2015, 08:34 AM
Duane Wilson would have left? Even after a redshirt year? If so, wouldn't he have had to go to a JUCO?

mufan2003
02-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Duane Wilson would have left? Even after a redshirt year? If so, wouldn't he have had to go to a JUCO?

I think it was just Steve Taylor and JJJ.

warriorfan4life
02-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Duane did not like the redshirt idea and was rumored to transfer around that time. I think he ends up staying regardless of the coach, but he definitely considered leaving for a time under Buzz.