PDA

View Full Version : MU Sports Medicine Partners with Bucks

Goose85
01-29-2015, 02:07 PM
I like how engaged it appears Lovell and MU are with the new Bucks ownership team.

From the JS article;
"Marquette University and the Milwaukee Bucks on Thursday are expected to announce a new partnership involving the field of sports medicine."

Seems Lovell and MU working with the Bucks owners is already paying off.

Being in a positive relationship with the Bucks ownership, who have the ability to donate significant dollars is a good thing.
Who knows, maybe some day it will be "The Edens Department of Sports Medicine" at MU, endowed by the Bucks owners.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/marquette-and-bucks-to-partner-in-sports-medicine-b99435481z1-290219921.html

warriorgnp
01-29-2015, 04:29 PM
Perhaps this parcel houses an athletics dorm as well?

MUAlphaBangura
01-29-2015, 06:09 PM
Channel 4 News reporting that Marquette "is open" to creating a new training facility for the Bucks. Interesting.

MUfan12
01-29-2015, 06:14 PM
Channel 4 News reporting that Marquette "is open" to creating a new training facility for the Bucks. Interesting.

Wouldn't that be something. That would be a nice selling point for the program, having that level of a relationship with the Bucks.

There are some really smart people calling the shots at MU. What a change from the Pilarz era.

Goose85
01-29-2015, 10:03 PM
Can you imagine having an NBA practice facility at the same location as MU Sports Medicine school and MU practice facilities, wow. Great job by those at MU to be creative when working with the new owners, and having some vision.
I'd have to think Wojo is happy too.

TrevorCandelino
01-30-2015, 05:43 AM
Great news but I guess I am a little confused on exactly what this building will be, beyond the indoor lacrosse/soccer facilities and how the Bucks would use it.

Isnt there practice facility going to be a part of the new arena? If not, does this potentially indicate a smaller footprint for new arena and a possible site closer to this facility and WI Ave?

IWB
01-30-2015, 06:58 AM
I don't know about the arena, but it sounds like the new MU practice facility would have indoor fields for soccer, lacrosse and also a track. It will also have the new state of the art, world class sports medicine facility. Wouldn't the Bucks want their new practice facility be as close to, or attached to the world class sports medicine facility? I would think yes.

TrevorCandelino
01-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Does MU offer a sports medicine program, beyond PT? Or is that the same thing?

Nukem2
01-30-2015, 10:00 AM
Would be part of College of Health Sciences

http://www.marquette.edu/explore/majors.php

MUMac
01-30-2015, 10:04 AM

One of my daughters went to college for Sports Medicine. There were 6, I believe, in the Midwest. The only two in Wisconsin were UW - La Crosse and UW - Madison. La Crosse had the better reputation. MU did not have one.

goldenlegal22
01-30-2015, 10:26 AM
I find the location of the building to be really intriguing. The university has been buying properties up and down Wells for the past couple years and spreading slightly further north. This location might be the farthest east the campus has spread. Interesting to see everything starting to fill in and expand although I do miss my Blo's lasagna sticks and Gyros.

TheSultan
01-30-2015, 10:26 AM
One of my daughters went to college for Sports Medicine. There were 6, I believe, in the Midwest. The only two in Wisconsin were UW - La Crosse and UW - Madison. La Crosse had the better reputation. MU did not have one.

Is it similar to an Athletic Training major? Marquette has one of those.

Goose85
01-30-2015, 10:31 AM

I wondered the same. Would this be an extension of the Athletic Training, a new major, an area of both Athletic training and PT?

MUMac
01-30-2015, 10:35 AM

Not completely. Most schools that excel in Athletic Training also have Sports Medicine. Sports Medicine is a specialized field of study. Somewhat surprised MU does not have this.

Nukem2
01-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Sure sounds the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_medicine

MUMac
01-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Sure sounds the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_medicine

You do not have to trust me, look at the other universities that have both majors, but it is not the same.

As I stated, my daughter is studying Sports Medicine. She is not studying to be a Sports Trainer as others at La Crosse are.

I guess to put it in simple terms, an athlete is referred to the Sports Medicine department by the Athletic Trainer. That is where my daughter became interested, when she was injured in her sport and referred to Sports Medicine.

DCwarrior
01-30-2015, 10:59 AM
I don't know about the arena, but it sounds like the new MU practice facility would have indoor fields for soccer, lacrosse and also a track. It will also have the new state of the art, world class sports medicine facility. Wouldn't the Bucks want their new practice facility be as close to, or attached to the world class sports medicine facility? I would think yes.

Would there be enough room on that land to house the Bucks practice facility, MU's Lacrosse/soccer/indoor track facilities, as well as the academic/research/sports medicine facilities required for this project?

IWB
01-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Would there be enough room on that land to house the Bucks practice facility, MU's Lacrosse/soccer/indoor track facilities, as well as the academic/research/sports medicine facilities required for this project?

Yes indeed. ;)

TheSultan
01-30-2015, 11:25 AM
You do not have to trust me, look at the other universities that have both majors, but it is not the same.

As I stated, my daughter is studying Sports Medicine. She is not studying to be a Sports Trainer as others at La Crosse are.

I guess to put it in simple terms, an athlete is referred to the Sports Medicine department by the Athletic Trainer. That is where my daughter became interested, when she was injured in her sport and referred to Sports Medicine.

So it is something kind of "in between" a trainer and a full-fledged doctor?

MUMac
01-30-2015, 12:17 PM
So it is something kind of "in between" a trainer and a full-fledged doctor?

Yes. That is a good way to describe it. My kids saw them at UW Health & Clinics. They are part of the staff. You get referred to them by your doctor (through the trainer, if necessary).

Nukem2
01-30-2015, 12:42 PM
Yes. That is a good way to describe it. My kids saw them at UW Health & Clinics. They are part of the staff. You get referred to them by your doctor (through the trainer, if necessary).
Kind of like an RN for sports?

MayorBeluga
01-30-2015, 01:11 PM

Link to diagram on location and possible layout from today's JS Online: http://www.jsonline.com/supergallery?id=290296251#

MUMac
01-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Kind of like an RN for sports?

No.

farmerdoc
01-30-2015, 02:12 PM
How does this impact the usage of the AL? Is hoops moving to this new facility?

TheSultan
01-30-2015, 02:15 PM
How does this impact the usage of the AL? Is hoops moving to this new facility?

Hoops is staying at the Al.

farmerdoc
01-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Hoops is staying at the Al.

That would make sense to me, but the tie in to the Bucks made me wonder about the teams sharing a practice facility for hoops.

Goose85
01-30-2015, 02:41 PM
No.

Not trying to irritate you MUMac, but I am interested as this seems like it would be a new major for MU.
Would this be like a physicians assistant for the sports world?

MUMac
01-30-2015, 03:15 PM
Not trying to irritate you MUMac, but I am interested as this seems like it would be a new major for MU.
Would this be like a physicians assistant for the sports world?

I am not getting irritated and did not intend to give that impression. Probably closer to a PA, but still not completely comparable. Let's just say, you have to make an appointment to see them.

Goose85
01-30-2015, 03:26 PM
I am not getting irritated and did not intend to give that impression. Probably closer to a PA, but still not completely comparable. Let's just say, you have to make an appointment to see them.

You didn't get the impression, but I figure I could look it up but thought I'd take the easy way out and ask.

Either way, sounds like it will need to be a new major for MU.