PDA

View Full Version : MU vs Seton Hall game thread....

IWB
01-28-2015, 06:11 PM
Sorry for delay, got to love the Bradley Center WiFi system. Hope they upgrade it with new stadium.

Starting lineups....

Marquette
Juan Anderson
Luke Fischer
Duane Wilson
Derrick Wilson
Matt Carlino

Seton Hall
Brandon Mobley
Angel Delgado
Khadeen Carrington
Sterling Gibbs
Jaren Siren

Officials are Mike Roberts, Tim Clougherty & Evon Burroughs\

IWB
01-28-2015, 06:12 PM
All of the fans that complain about the mid-week 8:00 games must think tonight's game is at 8:00. Very slow arriving crowd.

IWB
01-28-2015, 06:17 PM
Odd that Seton Hall does not have names on the backs of their uniforms, but simply their nickname. Pirates. Not sailors, but Pirates. Not sailors, but Pirates.

IWB
01-28-2015, 06:21 PM
At the time out, MU leading rebounding battle 7-6. All 8 of MU's field goals have been assisted. Points in the paint - MU up 12-0. MU also up on fast break points 10-8.

Worthless tidbits.....

I have never been one to talk negatively about a catholic priest, but Seton Hall's team priest keeps walking around their time out huddle in a very creepy, Bill Hader like fashion.

During that time out Travis Diener's daughter was the future fanatic of the game.

IWB
01-28-2015, 06:36 PM
Good to see that Steve Taylor came to play tonight. He is 4-5 from the field with three rebounds, one being a big one on the offensive end. With Seton Hall's bigs, Wojo will continue to rotate Luke & Steve in and out.

TedBaxter
01-28-2015, 06:38 PM
This pace is going to kill MU if Wojo doesn't give JaJuan some minutes in the second half. Short leash.

IWB
01-28-2015, 06:39 PM
Stat check - Duane Wilson & Sandy Cohen are a combined 0-6 from 3pt.

As a team MU is shooting 37.9% from field, 27.3% from 3pt. Need that to be better.
As a team the Monitors are 40% from field and 42.9% from 3pt.

Seton Hall up on the rebounding battle 19-18.

TedBaxter
01-28-2015, 06:39 PM
Duane needs to shoot the 10 foot pull up jumper.

IWB
01-28-2015, 06:42 PM
Steve Taylor hit a 10-12 footer earlier and I said to the guy next to me from WTMJ that that was the first time in a while that MU has not only made a mid range jumper, but attempted. Of course I'm being sarcastic, but lately it seems everything is either a drive to the hoop or a 3pt. Nothing in between. MU needs to score from that range!

40.8 seconds to go in the half and MU only has 4 fouls. No one with more than 1, that is a great sign, but same goes for Seton Hall, nobody in foul trouble.

Markedman
01-28-2015, 06:46 PM
Pretty ugly performance except for Carlino and Taylor. Zone has given MU problems in the half court. Missing 3s and shooting contested 2s....not good.

kneelb4zerg
01-28-2015, 06:50 PM
This pace is going to kill MU if Wojo doesn't give JaJuan some minutes in the second half. Short leash.

I don't know what this means.

Markedman
01-28-2015, 06:57 PM
JJ. Made a bad play and got yanked for the rest of the half.....pace was up and down for most of the first 10-12 minutes....MU has only 8 players so they will get tired if they don't use all of them.

I think that is what he meant.

Markedman
01-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Well that escalated in a hurry.......Seton Hall doing a great job of getting open looks against the zone and knocking them down

TedBaxter
01-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Bad start to the second half and I don't know if they have the ability to recover against this team. We'll see.

I don't care what anyone says. There's no excuse for the lower bowl to be that empty to start the half. Eat before or after the ******* game.

Markedman
01-28-2015, 07:09 PM
Brutal.....both offensively and defensively.......wow

goldenlegal22
01-28-2015, 07:12 PM
Mistakes and short bench have hurt the team all year but Carlino and D Wilson have given this team a punchers chance. Think the bad plays are catching up finally.

Halo
01-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Great defense JJ!

IWB
01-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Agree on the lack of ability to recover Ted.

On the fans in the halls - Personally, I went out into the halls, talked to another member of the media for quite a while about the Packers, Wojo, Noskowiak, Ellenson, Stone, recruiting.... then I talked to another member of the media. Then I went and got half time stat sheets and a couple of ice cream bars. I then dropped off the stat sheets to the usual suspects and then delivered the ice cream bars to un-named people on the opposite side of the arena. Talked to a couple of people on the way back to my seat and still sat down with 1:35 to go before the second half.

TheSultan
01-28-2015, 07:17 PM
JJJ doesn't seem coachable and/or fundamentally sound.

kneelb4zerg
01-28-2015, 07:17 PM
Great defense JJ!

Yeah. No kidding. Kind of a joke for a guy who should be fighting like crazy for PT.

TedBaxter
01-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Agree on the lack of ability to recover Ted.

On the fans in the halls - Personally, I went out into the halls, talked to another member of the media for quite a while about the Packers, Wojo, Noskowiak, Ellenson, Stone, recruiting.... then I talked to another member of the media. Then I went and got half time stat sheets and a couple of ice cream bars. I then dropped off the stat sheets to the usual suspects and then delivered the ice cream bars to un-named people on the opposite side of the arena. Talked to a couple of people on the way back to my seat and still sat down with 1:35 to go before the second half.

This game is history the way Seton Hall is shooting, so I'll attack the fans. If you want to socialize, get there early or talk after the game. At least respect the players enough to get your ass in the seat for the start of the game and the start of the second half. If you can't do that, move up the row and let the people that can do this take those season tickets and for those who want to debate me, you have nothing to stand on!!!!

IWB
01-28-2015, 07:22 PM
So what happened in the second half? Shooting.

MU shot 38.7% in first half, 25% so far in 2nd half.
SH shot 38.7% in first half, 78.6% so far in 2nd half.

MU shot 30.8% from 3pt in first half, 20% so far in 2nd half.
SH shot 40% from 3pt in first half, 66.7% so far in 2nd half.

kneelb4zerg
01-28-2015, 07:29 PM
I'll take the effort. Something JJJ doesn't seem to want to give.

goldenlegal22
01-28-2015, 07:30 PM
Yes we are losing and they aren't to blame but some of these calls, or lack thereof, is mind boggling.

TedBaxter
01-28-2015, 07:34 PM
Seton Hall assistant Fred Hill was an assistant in John Ellenson's freshman year at Marquette. Wonder if Fred and Wally even realize this when they hit the handshake line.

Markedman
Nice fight back by MU

TheSultan
Compare JJJ to Sandy. One hasn't markedly improved in a season and a half. The other has improved greatly in just the past few weeks.

kneelb4zerg
01-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Holy hell that was an offense foul by Gibbs clearing with his arm

TedBaxter
01-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Duane instigated the Delgado response by jawing.

TheSultan
01-28-2015, 07:43 PM
WTF is that intentional foul call?

IWB
01-28-2015, 07:43 PM
Gibbs has been clearing with his forearm the entire game.

Now on the intentional foul. Ref called a foul..... other ref approaches him and says, "Did you have that as an intentional foul?" "Yes I did." Had he not asked him, he would not have called it intentional. It was is if the one ref was suggesting it.

goldenlegal22
01-28-2015, 07:45 PM
What an awful awful call. Refs have lost control and will just call whatever now.

TedBaxter
Brandon Mobley has had a very good career at Seton Hall. Did Buzz look at him at all as an option out of St. John's Military Academy?

ge1974
Like Georgetown these refs suck big time

IWB
01-28-2015, 07:51 PM
I have never liked Clougherty. He has that constant "I have a bug up my ass" look on his face at all times. From the minute he walks onto the court for pre-game. A lot of refs will talk with players, smile at fans - Clougherty always looks like he's pissed that he has to be there.

IWB
01-28-2015, 07:53 PM
Last foul on Juan was called. CLougherty yells over again, "Did you have that as intentional?" "No" was the response. Why would you even ask that? Let your partner make his call.

IWB
01-28-2015, 07:54 PM
Seton hall dribbling out with 45 secs to go. Ouch.

IWB
01-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Final score Seton Hall 80, Marquette 70.

Halo
01-28-2015, 08:06 PM
Yeah. No kidding. Kind of a joke for a guy who should be fighting like crazy for PT.

We just score a big basket and Seton Hall fast breaking the other way, he loses his guy watching the ball passed over him and gives up baseline for an easy basket. Stuff you learn in grade school and he can't do.

Then comes down and shoots a crap 3 pointer that is blocked, which doesn't happen much.

Not sure what Wojo can do when you have that going on.

kneelb4zerg
01-28-2015, 08:24 PM
If I read any more about how JJJ deserves more PT I will lose it. Avoiding Scoop at all costs for sure.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-28-2015, 08:32 PM
Yes we are losing and they aren't to blame but some of these calls, or lack thereof, is mind boggling.

The second half reffing was horribly inconsistent. When SHU was running to the lead, there were no calls being made at all. Okay fine, then let them play. We start to come back and suddenly there's a whistle every trip. Just no way to build momentum back. We lost because of the 17-2 run but the uneven whistles at the end kept us from getting back into it.

MUfan12
01-28-2015, 08:39 PM
I really wanted Wojo to get his money's worth on a late T. Game was fine until Clougherty decided it was his stage.

DCwarrior
01-28-2015, 08:42 PM
Well at least we're helping more Big East teams make the NCAA.

79warrior
01-28-2015, 08:57 PM
If I read any more about how JJJ deserves more PT I will lose it. Avoiding Scoop at all costs for sure.

Agree. JJJ is a very disappointing player. Really looking like this kid was ranked way to high in HS.
That guy Ners has made the Scoop board virtually unreadable. He blasts Wojo every opportunity he gets for not giving JJJ more minutes. I just don't see it. He seems like a very nice you man, but his play is very weak.

Mark Miller
01-28-2015, 10:19 PM
What Ners or whatever his name is apparently doesn't understand is that you EARN playing time in practice with your effort and your ability to impact the game. At this point, Wojo is more comfortable playing Cohen bigger minutes than JJJ. And that is a direct result of how those two are bringing it every day on the practice floor.

warriorfan4life
01-28-2015, 11:35 PM
What Ners or whatever his name is apparently doesn't understand is that you EARN playing time in practice with your effort and your ability to impact the game. At this point, Wojo is more comfortable playing Cohen bigger minutes than JJJ. And that is a direct result of how those two are bringing it every day on the practice floor.

At this point, I severely question the basketball intelligence of anyone that believes JJ is better then Cohen. I think Cohen will be an all-conference level player here while JJ is putting up 15 inefficient points per game at Tennessee Tech.

01-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Everyone championing Jajuan for more minutes and calling out some Wojo conspiracy loses all credibility because of Sandy. Since the DePaul DNP, his minutes have gone up (12.6 in first 3 Big East games, 24.0 in last 3 Big East games), his scoring has gone up (6.1 ppg in conference), his defense has improved, and he's still hitting from beyond the arc (42.1%). All this while in the most difficult part of the season.

If Jajuan was doing any of that, he'd be getting more minutes, I have no doubt. He's not, so he isn't. Sandy earned minutes in short, effective stints, and continues to earn them by stretching those into longer, effective stints. I am very excited to see him, Duane, and Henry all on the court together next year.

IWB
01-29-2015, 09:12 AM
When SHU was running to the lead, there were no calls being made at all.

and it wasn't just in favor of Seton Hall. What I really couldn't believe is that when Seton Hall was coming down court with the ball, Carlino reached from behind trying to pop the ball out. About 75% of those included contact where there should have been a foul. Zero fouls called on them, so Carlino kept it up as if to say, "I'm going to keep doing this until they call it." He reached harder and harder every time, no calls.

Nukem2
01-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Refs and foul calls and non-foul calls had zilch to do with the outcome of this game. MU's zone was very inactive last night. Listening to Wojo on the way home on the post-game show, he alluded to SHU's 27% trey shooting and he kind of suggested that MU was challenging them to shoot the 3s. SHU was wide open from 3-Land all night long and MU reciprocated with its own launches as this game quickly became a Summer League 3-pont shooting contest. MU was very fortunate to be down only 4 at half-time. That was an ugly game for MU. Time to play for the future and reduce the minutes for the seniors ( note that they were all on the court during SHU's run to 47-30 ). Also note that SHU only played 8 guys with 24 minutes from its bench compared to 49 for MU, so the short roster was no excuse last night.

Also, transition defense was poor as it was in the 2nd half of the G-Town game (see Tre Campbell).

kneelb4zerg
01-29-2015, 09:35 AM
Refs and foul calls and non-foul calls had zilch to do with the outcome of this game. MU's zone was very inactive last night. Listening to Wojo on the way home on the post-game show, he alluded to SHU's 27% trey shooting and he kind of suggested that MU was challenging them to shoot the 3s. SHU was wide open from 3-Land all night long and MU reciprocated with its own launches as this game quickly became a Summer League 3-pont shooting contest. MU was very fortunate to be down only 4 at half-time. That was an ugly game for MU. Time to play for the future and reduce the minutes for the seniors ( note that they were all on the court during SHU's run to 47-30 ). Also note that SHU only played 8 guys with 24 minutes from its bench compared to 49 for MU, so the short roster was no excuse last night.

Reduce the minutes of the seniors in favor of whom? The seniors continue to lead by example through their hard work, if not talent. That is value in and of itself.

Nukem2
01-29-2015, 09:40 AM
Reduce the minutes of the seniors in favor of whom? The seniors continue to lead by example through their hard work, if not talent. That is value in and of itself.
Yeah, yeah. I hear you...but the wins are not coming. My idea is to start the underclassmen pending Saturday's outcome and use the seniors appropriately off the bench. Obviously, they would probably still get 20-25 minutes ( though less than the current 30-35 minutes ).

TheSultan
01-29-2015, 09:53 AM
Yeah, yeah. I hear you...but the wins are not coming. My idea is to start the underclassmen pending Saturday's outcome and use the seniors appropriately off the bench. Obviously, they would probably still get 20-25 minutes ( though less than the current 30-35 minutes ).

What's the point of that? 5-10 minutes of extra game time that they don't truly deserve isn't going to help them significantly (if at all.) When I read stuff like that, I think it is more to satisfy our curiosity more than anything else.

I truly think that the best long run option is to give the minutes to those who deserve it - to show the young guys you get the minutes you deserve. You see that happening now with Sandy.

kneelb4zerg
01-29-2015, 09:56 AM

I think that is insulting to Juan and Derrick. They deserve to play so they should play.

Markedman
01-29-2015, 10:20 AM
What's the point of that? 5-10 minutes of extra game time that they don't truly deserve isn't going to help them significantly (if at all.) When I read stuff like that, I think it is more to satisfy our curiosity more than anything else.

I truly think that the best long run option is to give the minutes to those who deserve it - to show the young guys you get the minutes you deserve. You see that happening now with Sandy.

Totally agree.......Wojo is building a culture and that is the only way you do it....

Nukem2
01-29-2015, 10:25 AM
OK, I'll buy in. Lets see what happens. Really don't have many options anyway. Though, I think we will see Sandy in the starting lineup by the end of the season. Given that JJ is 0-14 from trey-land in BE play, I would think the staff would give him a red light for shots outside the paint.

01-29-2015, 10:54 AM
and it wasn't just in favor of Seton Hall. What I really couldn't believe is that when Seton Hall was coming down court with the ball, Carlino reached from behind trying to pop the ball out. About 75% of those included contact where there should have been a foul. Zero fouls called on them, so Carlino kept it up as if to say, "I'm going to keep doing this until they call it." He reached harder and harder every time, no calls.

Agree 100%. It amazed me how often Carlino made those slaps with no calls. Then we start to come back and there's more calls on both ends. Just really disrupted any flow.