PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports article on MU/Luke

Markedman
01-28-2015, 10:57 AM
http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/marquette-golden-eagles-luke-fischer-getting-ready-for-big-things-012715

mufan2003
01-28-2015, 12:38 PM
I noticed the writer states that MU will not be in the NCAA tournament this year. I realize it is the optimistic fan in me speaking, but with 11 conference games left and the Big East Tournament, I am not ready to write off the NCAA tournament quite yet. Would I bet on it....No, but stranger things have happened in college basketball. As soon as MU gets to 9 losses, I will acknowledge a Big East Tournament championship is required.

MUBasketball
01-28-2015, 01:09 PM
I noticed the writer states that MU will not be in the NCAA tournament this year. I realize it is the optimistic fan in me speaking, but with 11 conference games left and the Big East Tournament, I am not ready to write off the NCAA tournament quite yet. Would I bet on it....No, but stranger things have happened in college basketball. As soon as MU gets to 9 losses, I will acknowledge a Big East Tournament championship is required.

God bless your optimism, now pass whatever it is you're smoking and drinking. Just have to hope they can run the table in NYC. To do that, obviously it would help to not finish in the 7-10 range to avoid having to play on the first night - but that will be difficult.

IrwinFletcher
01-28-2015, 01:55 PM
Agreed. We have at minimum 12 games remaining. It is about Duane, Luke, Sandy and JJJ at this point. If they were to all take big steps, maybe a post season bid happens, but I am not optimistic. Get those 4 better now, improve in the off season, add a McDonals AA and maybe you have something for next season.

warriorfan4life
01-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Agreed. We have at minimum 12 games remaining. It is about Duane, Luke, Sandy and JJJ at this point. If they were to all take big steps, maybe a post season bid happens, but I am not optimistic. Get those 4 better now, improve in the off season, add a McDonals AA and maybe you have something for next season.

I would trim JJJ off that list until he can succeed within a team concept consistently against strong competition.

CaribouJim
01-28-2015, 03:00 PM
I would trim JJJ off that list until he can succeed within a team concept consistently against strong competition.

Now is the time to do that.

MUMac
01-28-2015, 03:10 PM

I think you are saying the same thing, basically. He listed the people who need to take big steps for MU to make a move to the post season. He followed it up and said he was not optimistic. JJJ would and should be on the list. Whether he can do it is entirely different.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-28-2015, 03:37 PM
11 combined wins would probably get us in. But that sounds like a very tall order, winning 9 of the next 12 (including BET)

warriorfan4life
01-28-2015, 04:09 PM
To clarify my initial point, I think we will be good next year in large part due to Luke, Henry, Duane, and Sandy. Do not believe that JJJ will play a huge part in the success or failure of this season and coming seasons.

mufan2003
01-28-2015, 08:13 PM
God bless your optimism, now pass whatever it is you're smoking and drinking. Just have to hope they can run the table in NYC. To do that, obviously it would help to not finish in the 7-10 range to avoid having to play on the first night - but that will be difficult.

This is the first game this season, conference season at least, that the MU team stopped caring, stopped playing hard. Seton Hall hit some tough shots to start the 2nd half, but the defense by MU was laughable, and we have seen that MU can play very good defense. Maybe players have decided to mail this season in like the fans, too bad.

79warrior
01-28-2015, 09:01 PM
To clarify my initial point, I think we will be good next year in large part due to Luke, Henry, Duane, and Sandy. Do not believe that JJJ will play a huge part in the success or failure of this season and coming seasons.

Hopefully Wojo has some tricks up his sleeve, because you mentioned 4 players who will be good next year. I think we need a few more than that. Next year looks like a rebuild with stronger pieces, but I would not expect a massive turnaround in the W-L with the guys you mentioned.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-28-2015, 09:17 PM
Hopefully Wojo has some tricks up his sleeve, because you mentioned 4 players who will be good next year. I think we need a few more than that. Next year looks like a rebuild with stronger pieces, but I would not expect a massive turnaround in the W-L with the guys you mentioned.

I am beginning to worry about next year also. Realistically the only guy we are bringing in that can be counted on for a significant contribution is Henry, then returning players you have Sandy, Wally, Luke, JJJ, STJ, and Duane... I honestly think Duane and Sandy need to step up big time and make this their team. If those two can make the jump we will be fine, but if not I think we will sit in a similar spot to this year.

kneelb4zerg
01-28-2015, 09:27 PM
This is the first game this season, conference season at least, that the MU team stopped caring, stopped playing hard. Seton Hall hit some tough shots to start the 2nd half, but the defense by MU was laughable, and we have seen that MU can play very good defense. Maybe players have decided to mail this season in like the fans, too bad.

I think this is unfair because the team showed some fight in the end. The effort was still there but the defensive lapses to open the second half were glaring and did us in. Sandy and Duane especially were giving their all to lead a comeback.

kneelb4zerg
01-28-2015, 09:28 PM

I expect it.

mufan2003
01-28-2015, 10:06 PM
I think this is unfair because the team showed some fight in the end. The effort was still there but the defensive lapses to open the second half were glaring and did us in. Sandy and Duane especially were giving their all to lead a comeback.

What is unfair? The defense, start of 2nd half, was "mailing it in." Layups I am talking about, not 3's. It is not a coincidence that MU, on their home court, faced a 24 point deficit in the 2nd half. Through the first 7 conference games, it was either a close game or MU was up by 8+ in the 2nd half. Seton Hall was 3-4 coming in. Why are we down 24 in the 2nd half but have defeated Providence at home and led Georgetown at home in the 2nd half. This was about effort, and if you are too incompetent to wrap your mind around that, you must have never accomplished anything in sports.

kneelb4zerg
01-28-2015, 10:11 PM
What is unfair? The defense, start of 2nd half, was "mailing it in." Layups I am talking about, not 3's. It is not a coincidence that MU, on their home court, faced a 24 point deficit in the 2nd half. Through the first 7 conference games, it was either a close game or MU was up by 8+ in the 2nd half. Seton Hall was 3-4 coming in. Why are we down 24 in the 2nd half but have defeated Providence at home and led Georgetown at home in the 2nd half. This was about effort, and if you are too incompetent to wrap your mind around that, you must have never accomplished anything in sports.

All I am saying is the effort rebounded at the end.

But thanks for gratuitous insult. I haven't accomplished anything in sports except making the Little League All Star Traveling team in Crystal Lake Illinois when I was 12. I feel so much shame now. Something to sleep on.

mufan2003
01-28-2015, 10:18 PM

But thanks for gratuitous insult. I haven't accomplished anything in sports except making the Little League All Star Traveling team in Crystal Lake Illinois when I was 12. I feel so much shame now. Something to sleep on.

Apologies, nothing personal, I just love Marquette. We should not be down 24 in the 2nd half to any team in this conference....at home....other than Villanova and maybe Georgetown (but the guys brought it for 40 minutes against Georgetown and it went OT). This is a very good conference, but we showed we can compete through the first 7 games. This game made no sense.

warriorfan4life
01-28-2015, 11:37 PM
Apologies, nothing personal, I just love Marquette. We should not be down 24 in the 2nd half to any team in this conference....at home....other than Villanova and maybe Georgetown (but the guys brought it for 40 minutes against Georgetown and it went OT). This is a very good conference, but we showed we can compete through the first 7 games. This game made no sense.

I think it is a combination of Hall being on fire from three and struggling to overcome three tough, close losses in a row. I expect a much better effort on Saturday.

CR45
01-29-2015, 12:22 AM

I haven't accomplished anything in sports except making the Little League All Star Traveling team in Crystal Lake Illinois when I was 12.

We beat Crystal lake in Districts to make it to sectionals when I was 10, their coach was a real A-hole.

kneelb4zerg
01-29-2015, 07:14 AM
We beat Crystal lake in Districts to make it to sectionals when I was 10, their coach was a real A-hole.

That was my dad! J/K.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-29-2015, 08:40 AM

The first four minutes of the second half killed us. Went from 32-28 at halftime to 49-30 in seemingly the blink of an eye. In a good conference, 4 minutes of trainwreck against a NCAA team can completely derail what was otherwise a pretty good game. If you spotted us a 68-63 lead on SHU for 36 of the game's minutes and asked if we'd take whatever came in the other 4, I'm pretty sure we'd all take it.

Unfortunately, we took it all right. We took it in a very dark and painful place.