PDA

View Full Version : Luke's Rebounding

Nukem2
01-25-2015, 12:54 PM
In BE play, Luke is only #5 in rebounding. JJ, in one less game and far fewer minutes, has 2 more rebounds than Luke in BE play.

dw3dw3dw3
01-25-2015, 03:09 PM
The physicality down low in BE play seems really have affected him mentally. He seems tentative with his moves and aggressiveness. That or he's a little nicked up. Haven't seen it outside of the ASU game, but I would like to see his face-up game be developed/utilized against bigger/stronger players.

Djgoldnboy
01-25-2015, 03:22 PM
He absolutely needs to hit that 5-7ft jumper to make the D respect him, get the ball in the post, face up and hit it....once he starts doing that then he can use a pump fake to get defenders out on him and go past them. Right now he only does the spin hook and they are simply pushing him out of his area where it's effective and/or he's being overpowered by bigger bodies.

Mucrisco
01-26-2015, 10:26 AM
Luke's job might be to box out their best rebounder and maintain contact, while the others are supposed to clean up the boards. Many coaches, especially with undersized teams, will teach that way. Brad Stevens would challenge his guards and told them that they have to lead the team in rebounding, because his bigs were the ones clearing out the lane.

Nukem2
01-26-2015, 10:28 AM
Luke's job might be to box out their best rebounder and maintain contact, while the others are supposed to clean up the boards. Many coaches, especially with undersized teams, will teach that way. Brad Stevens would challenge his guards and told them that they have to lead the team in rebounding, because his bigs were the ones clearing out the lane.

Could be...but, it does not appear that way. Of course, the zones don't help either.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-26-2015, 11:42 AM

I hope this becomes the trend more in the future. Otule played that role very well. His personal numbers were never great, but he created a ton of rebounds simply by properly occupying space. More than anything, Luke needs help down low. It's easy to criticize the guy, but even Dwight Burke had more assistance down low from Lazar than anything this current team gives him.

kneelb4zerg
01-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Could be...but, it does not appear that way. Of course, the zones don't help either.

Why doesn't it "appear that way..."??

Mucrisco
01-26-2015, 11:58 AM
I hope this becomes the trend more in the future. Otule played that role very well. His personal numbers were never great, but he created a ton of rebounds simply by properly occupying space. More than anything, Luke needs help down low. It's easy to criticize the guy, but even Dwight Burke had more assistance down low from Lazar than anything this current team gives him.

I agree. It doesn't make sense for the guys who are guarding on the perimeter to box out and continue their contact. Their job is to hit their guy, then go find the rebound. In fact, that's Tom Izzo's soundbite. Hit and go find. The guys in the paint need to maintain their contact. They need to clear the other big guys from the paint.

Nukem2
01-26-2015, 12:23 PM
Why doesn't it "appear that way..."??Luke is not clearing the way or standing out of the way. He is getting outmuscled or out-positioned from what I can see in person at the BC.