PDA

View Full Version : My Encounter with Ed Corbett

Gato78
01-24-2015, 04:53 PM
I NEVER swore, ever. I never do--I know too many kids are in our section, including the kid sitting right in front of me. The harshest word I use is "crap".

So I rode Ed Corbett pretty good today. I sit near the MU bench and near the official TV monitor, third row. It started at halftime when they were looking at the monitor and I pointed out that they should be able to see the travel before the Georgetown player hit the shot. So I turned it up in the second half, especially with Fischer's 5th foul. It must be noted that prior to the end of regulation, Wojo wasn't too happy with the officiating either.

So when they were looking at Carlino's shot and after, since it was signalled a three by at least one ref, me and everyone else in our section was going a little nuts--seems to me it was called a 3 on the court (I now know 2 refs called it differently) and I was all over them when they couldn't decide--all I saw the three call and always thought it was a three--the official signalled three to the scorer.

So when the game was no longer in doubt I yelled at Corbett: "Put one in the win column for Corbett" so he could hear it. I was standing. As he runs down the court, he turns, looks at me and yells "Fu** you". I yelled back: "Are you talking to me?". Then I thought I better shut it down because I think a ref swearing at a fan could become an incident--it may still be a problem if any person of authority caught the exchange. In any event, I guess I got to him--and I was nowhere near AlphaBangura's A game. It really shows me what a crappy official Corbett is--not only did he let a fan get to him, he swore at a fan. I am not sure what to make of it. Makes me wonder where his head was at today and, most importantly, whether he was comfortable with the call at the end of regulation.

MUfan12
01-24-2015, 04:59 PM
It's too bad he didn't call you an Egyptian. Could have gotten his incompetent ass banned from Big East games.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Wow, that's pretty embarrassing on his part. I get that he's human and we're all emotional by nature, but he should never ever let the crowd get to him.

Just a heads up re Luke's 5th foul (not trying to change the point of your post), that was a blatant foul on him as he did rip Smith's arm away - it was the right call.

Gato78
01-24-2015, 05:04 PM
I may have meant Luke's 4th foul when Smith dipped his shoulder and ran Fischer over.

MUfan12
01-24-2015, 05:07 PM
Maybe he's just tired of fans being a$$holes.

Part of the job, and he's paid well to block it out. Nice try, though.

TheSultan
01-24-2015, 05:07 PM
Part of the job, and he's paid well to block it out. Nice try, though.

It was meant to be a joke and didn't come off that way. Sorry Gato. Deleted the post.

TheSultan
01-24-2015, 05:12 PM
I think the problem with college basketball refereeing is the "independent contractor" nature of it. Encourages referees to work maximum number of games on little rest and no focus on quality. But the conferences don't want to employ the refs, so this is what you get.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-24-2015, 05:23 PM
I think the problem with college basketball refereeing is the "independent contractor" nature of it. Encourages referees to work maximum number of games on little rest and no focus on quality. But the conferences don't want to employ the refs, so this is what you get.

College football conferences employ their refs, correct?

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-24-2015, 05:40 PM
So when the game was no longer in doubt I yelled at Corbett: "Put one in the win column for Corbett" so he could hear it. I was standing. As he runs down the court, he turns, looks at me and yells "Fu** you". I yelled back: "Are you talking to me?". Then I thought I better shut it down because I think a ref swearing at a fan could become an incident--it may still be a problem if any person of authority caught the exchange. In any event, I guess I got to him--and I was nowhere near AlphaBangura's A game. It really shows me what a crappy official Corbett is--not only did he let a fan get to him, he swore at a fan. I am not sure what to make of it. Makes me wonder where his head was at today and, most importantly, whether he was comfortable with the call at the end of regulation.

I would have taken that opportunity to get after him even more. The way today went, he deserved every bit of it and then some.

Gato78
01-24-2015, 05:45 PM
I had a shot to continue in the last 12 seconds. I stared at him but I just kept my mouth shut. I really did not want to start an incident. He was awful today.

TheSultan
01-24-2015, 05:45 PM
College football conferences employ their refs, correct?

Not sure. But they don't have multiple games a week. They have to have another job.

MUMac
01-24-2015, 06:00 PM
I got on in the first half. He yapped sometHing at me. Not sure what it was, but not kind I know. I blew him a kiss in return.

He is what is wrong with college officiating. Not just bad, but a hot head and ass.