PDA

View Full Version : Big Homestand Ahead

Nukem2
01-23-2015, 09:29 AM
3 games at the BC over the next 8 days (G-Town, SHU & Butler). After the 3rd game, we will be at the mid-point of the BE season. The outcomes of these games will give some direction as to how the conference season will be going. 5 of the final 9 will be on the road (Nova, SHU, Creighton, Butler and Providence). So the 2nd half of the BE brings no guarantees. Some thoughts on where MU stands after these next 3 games:

3-0 (5-4): Things are looking up. Even with the road schedule, a possible .500(+) season is still in sights.

2-1 (4-5): Things start to get iffier. That .500 season is getting much tougher.

1-2 (3-6): Things are getting bleak. My 6-12 projection is unfortunately looking more likely. Some lineup changes?

0-3 (2-7): Season is unraveling. Time to go to developmental and play the seniors off the bench.

The next 8 days will be interesting. Need to protect the house (and, the season).

kneelb4zerg
01-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Man if we had just won one of these last two we'd be in pretty good shape actually. Oh well.

mufan2003
01-23-2015, 02:14 PM
MU could EASILY be 4-2 (even 5-1) instead of 2-4 right now. The difference between 4-2 and 2-4 is razor thin if you look back at the first 6 games. Up double digits @DePaul in the 2nd half and let it get away, leading @ Xavier the majority of the game and letting it get away. @ St. John's we were up 8 in the 2nd half and lose by 3. Even @Georgetown was a winnable game down the stretch. We beat a good Providence team, tied for first in conference, at home by 7 or 8. Sure, MU only plays 8 guys, but as we saw with St. John's and other teams, sometimes a coach only decides to play 7 or 8 guys. MU can turn it around, really need to improve our play in the 2nd half, especially the final 10 minutes of the game. Go MU!!!

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-23-2015, 02:16 PM
The drawback, of course, is that the razor thin margin more often than not went against us. We had leads of 8+ in the second half against DePaul, Xavier, and St. John's. Win two of those and we are looking like a tourney team. Win one and we look like we have a chance. But the reality is we won none, which leads our margin for error even slimmer than the margin of error that has us 2-4 at this point.

Nukem2
01-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Unfortunately, we now move on to scenario #2. A valiant effort today with an inch short ending in regulation. Let's Go Warriors and get the SHU and Butler games. This team has a lot of heart for sure.

MUMac
01-24-2015, 08:50 PM
Unfortunately, we now move on to scenario #2. A valiant effort today with an inch short ending in regulation. Let's Go Warriors and get the SHU and Butler games. This team has a lot of heart for sure.

Not even sure it was an inch. If both officials called it a 3, it would have stood.

Nukem2
01-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Not even sure it was an inch. If both officials called it a 3, it would have stood.

Yeah, in the eye of the beholder. Ugh.

mufan2003
01-24-2015, 08:59 PM
Cue the Jimmy Valvano, legendary statement, "Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up."

Halo
01-24-2015, 08:59 PM
What stinks is the ref trailing Carlino called it a 2. He had no idea. And it was just after Wilson hit one from the same spot. If that guy (Corbett I believe) calls it a 3 also, game over.

Fine line. Make one more Free Throw and MU wins this.

Great effort overall. They need to keep it going. Almost over the hump of getting some wins here.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-24-2015, 09:49 PM
I guess at this point I'm just hoping for an NIT appearance... The NCAA's are pretty much not a reasonable goal anymore.

01-24-2015, 11:29 PM
Likely need to win 4 at the Garden if we want to go dancing.

Nukem2
01-29-2015, 06:02 AM
3 games at the BC over the next 8 days (G-Town, SHU & Butler). After the 3rd game, we will be at the mid-point of the BE season. The outcomes of these games will give some direction as to how the conference season will be going. 5 of the final 9 will be on the road (Nova, SHU, Creighton, Butler and Providence). So the 2nd half of the BE brings no guarantees. Some thoughts on where MU stands after these next 3 games:

3-0 (5-4): Things are looking up. Even with the road schedule, a possible .500(+) season is still in sights.

2-1 (4-5): Things start to get iffier. That .500 season is getting much tougher.

1-2 (3-6): Things are getting bleak. My 6-12 projection is unfortunately looking more likely. Some lineup changes?

0-3 (2-7): Season is unraveling. Time to go to developmental and play the seniors off the bench.

The next 8 days will be interesting. Need to protect the house (and, the season).
Well, Scenario #3 is now the best available outcome. Now at 4 straight losses. Really need to come with the A game on Saturday. Zone was not very active last night. Need to do better.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-29-2015, 06:48 AM
Likely need to win 4 at the Garden if we want to go dancing.

I would go beyond that even... We will need to win four in the Garden if we want to go dancing, and that could likely be our only shot at a post season appearance of any kind.

01-29-2015, 08:08 AM
Big homestand...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/220154/plane-crash-o.gif

kneelb4zerg
01-29-2015, 08:17 AM
Not sure wins and losses matter too much at this point.

01-29-2015, 08:35 AM
Had we won the last 2, they would. Carlino toeing the line and that 17-2 run to start the second half changed that quite a bit. The good news is Sandy is really growing as a player. If he keeps this up and Duane can find some consistency, we'll have a lot to look forward to. The reality is this was a complete overhaul, and Wojo has done a great job just keeping this team in pretty much every game. Still a lot worth watching for, though the end results sure do leave you feeling gut-punched.

Nukem2
01-29-2015, 02:49 PM
Minnesota Jeb posted something over at Scout that raises an interesting thought in my mind. Perhaps a couple times a game, Wojo could resurrect Al's "scrambled eggs" and play the underclassmen as a unit at some point in each half as a disruptive measure while giving the seniors a break....?

01-29-2015, 03:30 PM
I think that would work better if we had more players on the roster. Right now the underclassmen would mean Duane, Luke (both starters), Steve, Sandy, and Jajuan. Unless you want to take two of them out and put the Maches in.

BLT
01-30-2015, 07:30 AM
Heaven forbid, but when was the last time MU lost three in a row at home and five in a row overall? That has to be motivation to win tomorrow.

ValiantSailor
01-30-2015, 07:50 PM
Minnesota Jeb posted something over at Scout that raises an interesting thought in my mind. Perhaps a couple times a game, Wojo could resurrect Al's "scrambled eggs" and play the underclassmen as a unit at some point in each half as a disruptive measure while giving the seniors a break....?

The Scrambled Eggs had a short life. We were 8-18 that first year - the Eggs might have contributed to three victories. Plus the Eggs were five dedicated players; we don't have enough bodies, unless you use the two walk-ons.

By Al's second year the Scrambled Eggs were gone.

VS

CaribouJim
01-30-2015, 11:20 PM
The Scrambled Eggs had a short life. We were 8-18 that first year - the Eggs might have contributed to three victories. Plus the Eggs were five dedicated players; we don't have enough bodies, unless you use the two walk-ons.

By Al's second year the Scrambled Eggs were gone.

VS

Hank had a variation of that concept his first year as HC - was it called the Blue team or something like that? Oliver Lee, Larry Hatchet, Tony Davis - all frosh - along with Robert Byrd who was the soph - drawing a blank on the others. Short lived as I recall.

Nukem2
01-31-2015, 09:21 AM
Paper shows Butler as a 2.5 point favorite today. I don't think MU is going to be favored in any game the rest of the way except perhaps for Senior Day over DePaul. Don't mean to be a Negative Nellie, but its going to be a real challenge for our guys from here on out. Hope our guys can keep a stiff upper lip and pull out a few W's while the young guys keep developing. Lets Go Warriors.

01-31-2015, 10:15 AM
I feel confident of a win today.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-31-2015, 10:20 AM
I don't see this team finishing with a record over .500... I don't see any game the rest of the way where it should be a win, even DePaul has been playing better

warriorfan4life
01-31-2015, 10:22 AM
I think today's game, at Creighton. Xavier, St. John's, and DePaul are all very realistic opportunities for wins. May not (and probably do not) win them all, but all are games the team should feel confident about winning. The other games will all be long shots, but then again we damn near won a couple of long shot games already (at Georgetown and at Xavier). Hoping that Wednesday night's game was an outlier due to hot Seton Hall shooting, and we play at the level we had previously (where we were unlucky not to win any of those previous three games).

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-31-2015, 10:34 AM
We definitely will win some games before the end of the year, but I don't see any where we should be favored.

Nukem2
01-31-2015, 11:04 AM
I feel confident of a win today.
Hope so.

Nukem2
02-01-2015, 02:13 PM

The next 8 days will be interesting. Need to protect the house (and, the season).Unfortunately, Scenario #4 has come to pass. Now a formidable 2 game road trip ahead at Nova and SHU. Probably need to get Sandy and JJ more PT now? JJ had a nice game yesterday in his minutes. Hopefully, he can build upon that. Really need to get Steve going to at least give some decent mintes in relief of Luke and Juan.

kneelb4zerg
02-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Unfortunately, Scenario #4 has come to pass. Now a formidable 2 game road trip ahead at Nova and SHU. Probably need to get Sandy and JJ more PT now? JJ had a nice game yesterday in his minutes. Hopefully, he can build upon that. Really need to get Steve going to at least give some decent mintes in relief of Luke and Juan.
At this point, I wish Wojo would play him 40 minutes a game to shut the 'play JJJ more minutes' crowd the hell up.

MU/Panther
02-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Only reason why people think JJJ had a solid game, because he didn't look terrible. Still couldn't hit that open three.

Nukem2
02-01-2015, 02:39 PM
At this point, I wish Wojo would play him 40 minutes a game to shut the 'play JJJ more minutes' crowd the hell up.
Sheesh...just suggested he get more PT as the season starts to wind down. This is a rebuilding season after all.

Nukem2
02-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Only reason why people think JJJ had a solid game, because he didn't look terrible. Still couldn't hit that open three.
Yeah, he needs to watch Derrick shoot those turn-around threes as the shot clock winds down. :). Seriously ,though, I think Wojo should give him a red light on 3s until his overall play is more consistent. And, yes, he played well yesterday despite that missed 3.

kneelb4zerg
02-01-2015, 02:53 PM
aside from horrible defense, yeah, he was great.

Yeah, he needs to watch Derrick shoot those turn-around threes as the shot clock winds down. :). Seriously ,though, I think Wojo should give him a red light on 3s until his overall play is more consistent. And, yes, he played well yesterday despite that missed 3.

MU/Panther
02-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Yep, he play well. 17 minutes 2 points on 1/3 shooting, 2 assists and 0 rebounds. I guess not playing terrible is now called playing well.:cool:

Nukem2
02-01-2015, 02:56 PM
Was watching him. The defense was fine.

02-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Jajuan's defense was much better yesterday. Closed out on shooters. Active hands but didn't over gamble on steals. If he keeps playing like that he will earn more minutes and deservedly so.

Most important, he didn't jack threes. His only 3 attempt was to beat the shot clock. Numerous times it looked like he wanted to shoot but may have had a red light. I was pleased with JJJ yesterday.

CaribouJim
02-01-2015, 08:37 PM

What are you going to do next year when Derrick and Juan are gone ? Curl up in the fetal position? The two most propped up players in recent memory - you guys crap on present and past players' legacy - Dominic, Junior, Jamil, Davente, Todd, Deonte at the top of the list - to elevate Juan and Derrick. It's unreal and pathetic. Myth making at its very best. You guys crap not only these players playing abilty but their character - either explicitly or implied.

The fact is it is a rebuilding year and Nukem is just suggesting a tweaking of the allocation of minutes - not a dramatic one - with 8 guys you can't anyway. I don't think Wojo is going to be walking up and down the sidelines next year thinking "Gosh darn it - why did I cut back Juan and Derrick's minutes by 5-10 minutes a game for those last 10 games last year".

Use your imagination for once and look forward. I contend that MU won't be sacrificing W's anyway - certainly can't do any worse. Hutch rotted on the bench much of his freshman year and almost lead them to the NIT championship.

Wait, maybe you will be happy as I am assuming JJJ - you know, one of the guys who didn't jump ship after the coaching change - will be gone after this season - more culling of the herd. Then you can crap on him with even more enthusiasm than you are right now.

Nukem2
02-01-2015, 08:50 PM
What are you going to do next year when Derrick and Juan are gone ? Curl up in the fetal position? The two most propped up players in recent memory - you guys crap on present and past players' legacy - Dominic, Junior, Jamil, Davente, Todd, Deonte at the top of the list - to elevate Juan and Derrick. It's unreal and pathetic. Myth making at its very best. You guys crap not only these players playing abilty but their character - either explicitly or implied.

The fact is it is a rebuilding year and Nukem is just suggesting a tweaking of the allocation of minutes - not a dramatic one - with 8 guys you can't anyway. I don't think Wojo is going to be walking up and down the sidelines next year thinking "Gosh darn it - why did I cut back Juan and Derrick's minutes by 5-10 minutes a game for those last 10 games last year".

Use your imagination for once and look forward. I contend that MU won't be sacrificing W's anyway - certainly can't do any worse. Hutch rotted on the bench much of his freshman year and almost lead them to the NIT championship.

Wait, maybe you will be happy as I am assuming JJJ - you know, one of the guys who didn't jump ship after the coaching change - will be gone after this season - more culling of the herd. Then you can crap on him with even more enthusiasm than you are right now.Yup, give the kid a chance. He is trying and he had a decent, albeit not perfect, outing yesterday. This is a rebuilding year, give guys a chance. BTW, he was not on the floor during the meltdown yesterday.

CaribouJim
02-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Yup, give the kid a chance. He is trying and he had a decent, albeit not perfect, outing yesterday. This is a rebuilding year, give guys a chance. BTW, he was not on the floor during the meltdown yesterday.

Correct - JJJ played 17 out of the 45 minutes yesterday - how on earth did Butler score when JJJ was not in the game???

TheSultan
02-01-2015, 09:15 PM
Correct - JJJ played 17 out of the 45 minutes yesterday - how on earth did Butler score when JJJ was not in the game???

:rolleyes:

JJJ had the worse +/- on Marquette's team yesterday (-11). I know it is an imperfect statistic but still...

kneelb4zerg
02-01-2015, 09:19 PM
It's pretty simple. If JJJ deserved to play more he would play more. Don't ask me. Ask his prior two coaches.

I can use my imagination and see a coach who is trying to build a program and a culture. His efforts aren't served by handing out playing time based on potential versus hard work and practice habits.

Nukem2
02-01-2015, 09:26 PM

JJJ had the worse +/- on Marquette's team yesterday (-11). I know it is an imperfect statistic but still...

I ignore that stat as its is so dependent on a lot of other things. Worthless yesterday as JJ was not on the floor after 6:39 to go in regulation.

CaribouJim
02-01-2015, 10:53 PM
It's pretty simple. If JJJ deserved to play more he would play more. Don't ask me. Ask his prior two coaches.

I can use my imagination and see a coach who is trying to build a program and a culture. His efforts aren't served by handing out playing time based on potential versus hard work and practice habits.

Where do you get these sports platitudes - Chip Hilton books? You roll these out in almost every response.

CaribouJim
02-01-2015, 10:54 PM

Oh, was he guarding their center?

kneelb4zerg
02-01-2015, 11:15 PM
Where do you get these sports platitudes - Chip Hilton books? You roll these out in almost every response.

Thanks brah. I just call it like I see it. If you think JJJ is the answer that is pretty sad and I am getting sick of hearing it.

But hey, if you can't handle my hot takes, maybe you should log off for a while.

Nukem2
02-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Thanks brah. I just call it like I see it. If you think JJJ is the answer that is pretty sad and I am getting sick of hearing it.

But hey, if you can't handle my hot takes, maybe you should log off for a while.
No one thinks JJ is the "answer". Just saying that he needs to get more PT with the short roster as long as he plays like he did on Saturday (not perfect, by any means). But good enough to keep the others less winded.

TheSultan
02-02-2015, 08:47 AM
Oh, was he guarding their center?

I wish. Probably more effective than him "guarding" the perimeter.

TheSultan
02-02-2015, 08:47 AM
No one thinks JJ is the "answer". Just saying that he needs to get more PT with the short roster as long as he plays like he did on Saturday (not perfect, by any means). But good enough to keep the others less winded.

He played 17 minutes. That was plenty.

CaribouJim
02-02-2015, 09:09 AM
I wish. Probably more effective than him "guarding" the perimeter.

Says the person that Junior and Derrick would basically be interchangeable parts in the S16, S16, S8 run. The insanity keeps on coming.

I await another LOL non-clever, non-substantive response.

TheSultan
02-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Says the person that Junior and Derrick would basically be interchangeable parts in the S16, S16, S8 run. The insanity keeps on coming.

I await another LOL non-clever, non-substantive response.

Seriously WTF is your problem? We differ on JJJ's value. That's OK. People can have different opinions.

But you are the one making it personal with both kneel and me. Insults and cheap-shots are the methods of the weak.

79warrior
02-02-2015, 11:52 AM
He played 17 minutes. That was plenty.

I agree with you. The whole minutes distribution really is a non issue. JJJ hardly plays, we lose. JJJ play 17 minutes, we lose. Quite honestly, no matter what the rotations are this year we lose. We can put every combo in the blender and the results would likely be the same. The pieces are not there this year.

Nukem2
02-02-2015, 01:28 PM
I agree with you. The whole minutes distribution really is a non issue. JJJ hardly plays, we lose. JJJ play 17 minutes, we lose. Quite honestly, no matter what the rotations are this year we lose. We can put every combo in the blender and the results would likely be the same. The pieces are not there this year.Hmmm...that really is the crux of the matter. Whatever the lineups, we lose. In such a rebuilding year, why not start giving the young guys more minutes or, at least, minutes in meaningful timeframes and start building for the future. Feels like we are beating ourselves in the head every game and still end up with a L.

kneelb4zerg
02-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Hmmm...that really is the crux of the matter. Whatever the lineups, we lose. In such a rebuilding year, why not start giving the young guys more minutes or, at least, minutes in meaningful timeframes and start building for the future. Feels like we are beating ourselves in the head every game and still end up with a L.

I don't think this horse is dead quite yet:

Nukem2
02-02-2015, 01:58 PM
I don't think this horse is dead quite yet:

Good grief, no one is suggesting that. Just give the young guys a bit more meaningful PT. Come off your high horse.

TheSultan
02-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Good grief, no one is suggesting that. Just give the young guys a bit more meaningful PT. Come off your high horse.

JJJ is getting 15.6 mpg in BE play and 19.8 overall. (Not including his suspension game.) I view that as "meaningful" already.

kneelb4zerg
02-02-2015, 02:29 PM
It's the same argument, over and over again: rebuilding year, play the youngsters more minutes versus building a culture, rewarding effort through playing time. I think everyone knows where we all stand on this issue by now. What else is there to say?