PDA

View Full Version : Wally jumping his ass off today!

Markedman
01-17-2015, 02:09 PM
Wow.....Todd Smith ‏@MUStrength · 1m1 minute ago
“@MUTFXC: Over 7-5.5 / 2.28! First attempt!! New lifetime best for @wallyellenson” ATTA BABY WALLY!

Markedman
01-17-2015, 02:17 PM
Marquette TF/XC ‏@MUTFXC · 4m4 minutes ago
Wally's mark of 2.28 / 7-5.75 meets the qualifying standard for world outdoors and is currently the #3 in the world!

CaribouJim
01-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Was this an indoor meet and was he competing for MU? I assume it was in a competion of some sort to have met a qualifying standard. He could give a major boost to MU's t&f program. I'd go to a meet or two to see him jump. In any event, they should promote the heck out of him if he in fact is going to be competing for MU.

I've been meaning to ask, does he have to sit out a year for track as well and when he is eligible for b-ball next year, will he continue to participate on the track team in the spring?

Never mind - read the thread on Scout. Will definitely try to make a couple track meets this spring.

MUMac
01-19-2015, 07:44 AM
Was this an indoor meet and was he competing for MU? I assume it was in a competion of some sort to have met a qualifying standard. He could give a major boost to MU's t&f program. I'd go to a meet or two to see him jump. In any event, they should promote the heck out of him if he in fact is going to be competing for MU.

I've been meaning to ask, does he have to sit out a year for track as well and when he is eligible for b-ball next year, will he continue to participate on the track team in the spring?

Never mind - read the thread on Scout. Will definitely try to make a couple track meets this spring.

Yes, it was an indoor meet at UW and Wally was competing for MU.

The only sports that you have to sit out are basketball, football and hockey.

TheSultan
01-19-2015, 07:57 AM
So is Wally practicing with the basketball team every day *and* jumping? That's pretty incredible.

CaribouJim
01-19-2015, 09:42 AM
Their schedule link below - some really high profile outdoor meets for Wally to compete in. Some close indoor meets left on the schedule. I would assume that Wally will be competing in Millrose Games in NYC with his ranking - that is typically televised somewhere - sometimes tape delayed.

As far as outdoor, I'll circle April 10th, April 24th and May 14-15 to try and see him at least once and that is assuming he even is going to compete in all the meets - he may be real selective. Might try and make my annual visit to Austin for the Texas Relays as well.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/c-track/spec-rel/112014aaa.html

IWB
01-19-2015, 12:01 PM
I still can't fathom it, Wally jumped 7'5 3/4". He got his entire body over a bar that was almost 7 feet 6 inches off the ground. How?

IWB
01-19-2015, 12:08 PM
http://youtu.be/uFeVEswREQk

CaribouJim
01-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Kind of a clunky venue to jump in as well. Looks so effortless for him.

IWB
01-19-2015, 02:35 PM
I have been to both high school and college track meets there, place is small, but bigger than it seems in the video.

MUMac
01-19-2015, 03:06 PM
I have been to both high school and college track meets there, place is small, but bigger than it seems in the video.

One of the poorer indoor tracks at a high collegiate level. Needs a ton of updating and improved lighting.

IWB
01-19-2015, 04:55 PM
Agree Mac, just saying that it is bigger than it seemed in the video. There are nicer indoor high school tracks in Milwaukee than that place, doesn't it sometimes have hockey in the middle too or am I thinking of some place else?

MUMac
01-19-2015, 05:57 PM
There is a hockey rink there. The UW Womens team used to practice there. The rink, while in the same facility, is located next to the track. They do have basketball courts there and students use it for recreation.

TedBaxter
01-19-2015, 07:12 PM
The amount of money the UW is possibly making with football, basketball and TV revenue and they can't upgrade an indoor track for the top track and field program in the Big Ten and one of the best in the country? Did they ever get their swimming program upgrades.

Markedman
01-20-2015, 10:59 AM
Saw this on twitter.......Joe McCann ‏@JoeMcCann3 28m28 minutes ago
Just for a hypothetical comparison, Wally Ellenson's jump of 2.28m would have been 9th at the 2012 Olympics. Pretty darn good. #mubb

Djgoldnboy
01-20-2015, 04:29 PM
That's all great and dandy, but can he dunk??? ha. He might be the first MU player to actually follow the ball through the rim when he does.

CaribouJim
01-20-2015, 04:32 PM
Saw this on twitter.......Joe McCann ‏@JoeMcCann3 28m28 minutes ago
Just for a hypothetical comparison, Wally Ellenson's jump of 2.28m would have been 9th at the 2012 Olympics. Pretty darn good. #mubb

...and you typically jump higher outdoors.

All I know is that Wally would have done better than this stiff!!!!!

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/chinese-basketball-assocation-dunk-contest-fail-011915