PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ohio State and FBS Playoff

Goose85
01-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Wow, Ohio State really looked good. In the old BCS formula, they would not have even been in the title game.

Of course this opens up the question, if a 6 seed a week before the final poll wins it all, does this indicate we need an 8 team playoff?

Ohio State pounded Wisconsin to move up to the 4 seed in the last week.
If Ohio State just beats Wisconsin 35 - 21 are they on the outside looking in, with TCU going to the playoffs?

With one week to go TCU had the 4 spot and won 55-3, and was taking a knee with 4 minutes to go, yet they get replaced.
TCU then pounds Ole Miss 42-3 in a bowl game.

I would like to see an 8 team playoff? Any thoughts from the MU basketball world?

TheSultan
01-13-2015, 09:32 AM
Ohio State and Oregon both played their 15th game last night, which is a lot, and the same number you have for FCS, D2 and D3 championship game participants (I think).

The other question has to do with format. Do you have the New Year's Day bowl games as quarterfinals? Do you have the quarterfinals played at campus sites the second weekend in December with bowl sites as semifinals - quarterfinal losers also going to bowls? How would that affect the attendance and status of bowl games? What I thought was great about this year is that it went back to the New Year's Day "of old." Great games all day long. They didn't linger for a few days. Ratings were also fantastic.

I'd like to see how the four team playoff goes for a couple years. I think the new playoff system hit it out of the park in this first year. A little controversy didn't harm things either.

MUMac
01-13-2015, 09:34 AM
I have thought for a long time that the bowl system is outdated and do not understand why CFB continued to protect it. This may have been the first step to changing that.

Personally, I would prefer an 8 team playoff format. That is the best number. 16 is far too diluted and 4 is not enough. They could consider having the Championship Game the weekend between the NFL Conference Championships and Superbowl.

Goose85
01-13-2015, 09:45 AM
I agree MUMac - 8 teams would be the most.

With 8 teams you could take all of the Big 5 champions, the top ranked champ from the other 5 conferences, and two at large teams.

Round 1 is played at the home venue of the higher seeded team.
Round 2 and the final would be played as they were this year.

Sure that is a lot of games for four teams, but most if not all of the playoffs (depending on the school I guess) would be held when school is not in session.

TheSultan
01-13-2015, 10:06 AM
OK, I could probably get behind that Goose. And I think bowl games are going to stick around for awhile. They make the conferences money. They keep the kids practicing for a few weeks so coaches like them. And most importantly they give me something to watch between Christmas and New Years! :D

Goose85
01-13-2015, 10:15 AM
OK, I could probably get behind that Goose. And I think bowl games are going to stick around for awhile. They make the conferences money. They keep the kids practicing for a few weeks so coaches like them. And most importantly they give me something to watch between Christmas and New Years! :D

Sultan - I too love the bowl games, and not just the New Years Day games.
A great experience for college kids, with many being played after school lets out.
Also gives the younger players a chance to practice and prepare for the upcoming season.

MUAlphaBangura
01-13-2015, 11:39 AM
I agree MUMac - 8 teams would be the most.

With 8 teams you could take all of the Big 5 champions, the top ranked champ from the other 5 conferences, and two at large teams.

Round 2 and the final would be played as they were this year.

Sure that is a lot of games for four teams, but most if not all of the playoffs (depending on the school I guess) would be held when school is not in session.

I actually wonder if 8 isn't too many. This year 6 would have been ideal. Top 2 seeds with byes, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5, then the winners meet in semis.

CaribouJim
01-13-2015, 11:41 AM
I like 4, at least for the short term.

MUMac
01-13-2015, 01:01 PM
I actually wonder if 8 isn't too many. This year 6 would have been ideal. Top 2 seeds with byes, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5, then the winners meet in semis.

I could see 6 or 8 as the ultimate number. I agree, 8 may get to the point of being watered down.

Goose85
01-13-2015, 01:29 PM
I think 8 is the only way the Boise State type teams would ever get a shot / access to a payday.

MU/Panther
01-13-2015, 03:05 PM
To answer the question as someone who watches college football 12+ hours every Saturday, I'm not for at all an 8 team playoff, yet.

MU/Panther
01-13-2015, 03:08 PM
Questions is when you play it.

Only time would be the 2nd Saturday in December after conference title games, which would mean the backets would have to come out that Sunday. Only leads in five days before the game. Timing is not the best.

MayorBeluga
01-13-2015, 03:15 PM

Only time would be the 2nd Saturday in December after conference title games, which would mean the backets would have to come out that Sunday. Only leads in five days before the game. Timing is not the best.

Eh. Play the games in Dayton on the Tuesday and Wednesday after the Sunday pairings. If it works for basketball...

Goose85
01-13-2015, 03:38 PM

This year's breakdown with 8 teams.

Championship games were on Sat Dec 6th.
Round 1 - Sat Dec 20th (14 days)
Round 2 - Jan 1 (12 days)
Final - Jan 12th (11 days)

I'm sure TCU and Baylor would have been ok with this breakdown.

MU/Panther
01-13-2015, 05:35 PM
I would be ok with that. Exams might be an issue.

I'm hearing from the powers, there is no push for 8. The question is now how the semi's will go on nye the next two years.

TheSultan
01-13-2015, 06:40 PM
Really? New Years Eve? That's really unfortunate.

MUMac
01-13-2015, 08:13 PM
This year's breakdown with 8 teams.

Championship games were on Sat Dec 6th.
Round 1 - Sat Dec 20th (14 days)
Round 2 - Jan 1 (12 days)
Final - Jan 12th (11 days)

I'm sure TCU and Baylor would have been ok with this breakdown.

I would still go with the Championship game the weekend before the Superbowl. Dead weekend in the NFL. Hype from the Conference Championships and leading up to the Superbowl week.

MU/Panther
01-13-2015, 09:18 PM
Really? New Years Eve? That's really unfortunate.
The Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are locked in New Year's Day at 4:10 and 7:50 if they host the playoff or not. Next year the semi's are Cotton and Orange and the 2016 season it's Peach and Fiesta Bowl.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-13-2015, 09:46 PM
I'd like a 12 team playoff, with the top four getting a week one bye. That way everyone in the top ten has a chance.

IWB
01-14-2015, 12:52 PM
I would still go with the Championship game the weekend before the Superbowl. Dead weekend in the NFL. Hype from the Conference Championships and leading up to the Superbowl week.

Mac - you mention "hype from the college championships". I was forced to listen to a good part of the 4th quarter of that game on the radio in the car. It was weird, they never said "Oregon" or "Ohio State". It was constantly " First down for the PAC 12 Champions".... or "A huge stop on 3rd and short for Ohio State, Champions of the Big 10 conference".... "Fourth down coming up for Oregon, representing the PAC 12"....

It didn't stop. I can see it once or twice, but constantly? It was like the self appointed Big 5 put it in their TV contract.

MU/Panther
01-14-2015, 01:00 PM
I'd like a 12 team playoff, with the top four getting a week one bye. That way everyone in the top ten has a chance. They do have a chance, win your conference!

MUMac
01-14-2015, 01:09 PM
Mac - you mention "hype from the college championships". I was forced to listen to a good part of the 4th quarter of that game on the radio in the car. It was weird, they never said "Oregon" or "Ohio State". It was constantly " First down for the PAC 12 Champions".... or "A huge stop on 3rd and short for Ohio State, Champions of the Big 10 conference".... "Fourth down coming up for Oregon, representing the PAC 12"....

It didn't stop. I can see it once or twice, but constantly? It was like the self appointed Big 5 put it in their TV contract.

I meant hype from the NFC and AFC Conference Championships. The NCAA could play off of that period with the press.

As an aside, I always thought the NBA has missed that opportunity, as the NCAA is such a big thing and if they could ever get their schedule to fit with the NBA Playoff following right after, it could generate more interest.

Goose85
01-14-2015, 01:11 PM
They do have a chance, win your conference!

Tell that to TCU.

WarriorNich
01-14-2015, 02:40 PM
I meant hype from the NFC and AFC Conference Championships. The NCAA could play off of that period with the press.

As an aside, I always thought the NBA has missed that opportunity, as the NCAA is such a big thing and if they could ever get their schedule to fit with the NBA Playoff following right after, it could generate more interest.

One problem with playing the title game that late. The 2nd Semester for most (if not all schools) would be in session. Seniors that have graduated in 3.5-4.5 years and underclassmen turning pro are done with classes, while grey shirts and early enrollers are joining the programs to get ready for spring ball. There are scholarship games played with the 1st and 2nd semester split for counting players against the yearly 25 and overall 85. Not that schools couldn't figure it out but it would put a small wrench in the current recruiting strategies used by football coaches.

TheSultan
01-14-2015, 02:46 PM
One problem with playing the title game that late. The 2nd Semester for most (if not all schools) would be in session. Seniors that have graduated in 3.5-4.5 years and underclassmen turning pro are done with classes, while grey shirts and early enrollers are joining the programs to get ready for spring ball. There are scholarship games played with the 1st and 2nd semester split for counting players against the yearly 25 and overall 85. Not that schools couldn't figure it out but it would put a small wrench in the current recruiting strategies used by football coaches.

How does Oregon handle this? They are on a quarter system, so their "Winter Term" classes started January 5. Do they not bring in early enrollers until their "Spring Term" begins in late March?

MU/Panther
01-14-2015, 02:47 PM
Tell that to TCU.Get a conference championship game. 12-1 beats 11-1

MUMac
01-14-2015, 02:51 PM

Good point. As for the scholarship split, that would not be impacted, as the ones who no longer are on scholarship would not have the need anyway. I am not sure it would be the hurdle to overcome. May need some thought and tweaks, but I would doubt it would be the lynchpin.

Goose85
01-14-2015, 03:16 PM
Get a conference championship game. 12-1 beats 11-1

Under current NCAA rules they can't.

MU/Panther
01-14-2015, 03:28 PM
Under current NCAA rules they can't.They will get the waiver from the other leagues. If, not they will have to go to 12 teams.

TheSultan
01-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Get a conference championship game. 12-1 beats 11-1

Not to mention that the 13th game is against a team that almost always strengthens the schedule.