PDA

View Full Version : Jamail Jones to transfer

IWB
04-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Sophomore Jamail Jones Granted Release From MU

Atlanta Native Plans To Transfer

Milwaukee – Sophomore forward Jamail Jones has been granted his release from the Marquette University men’s basketball team and intends to transfer to another program, head coach Buzz Williams announced Friday afternoon.

In two seasons with the Golden Eagles, Jones averaged 1.6 points and 1.3 rebounds per game in 46 career appearances. His lone start came this past season at West Virginia. The 6-6, 210-pounder shot 33.7 percent from the floor, 22.5 percent from behind the 3-point line and 60.0 percent from the charity stripe in 7.5 minutes per night.

“We are thankful for Jamail’s investment of time, energy, and his character during his time with us,” Williams said. “Everyone in our program will miss him greatly and wish him the absolute best as he pursues his academic and basketball career. We will all be cheering for his success.”

MUMac
04-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Did Buzz put the Big East, ACC, Big 10 and Iowa State on the restricted list? Or did Buzz have a realationship with Jamail that was civil and Jamail actually would talk with Buzz so that is not necessary?

Does MU still have time to photoshop his likeness out of the team picture?

Goose85
04-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Good luck to Jamail. Like Buzz said, I will be cheering for him wherever his next stop may be.

MUMac
04-27-2012, 03:45 PM
I always liked Jamail. Hard not to. Always had a smile on his face. Seemed like a class act. I hope he finds success whereever he ends up. Unfortunately, he never caught on to the defensive side here enough to make it.

TedBaxter
04-27-2012, 03:53 PM
He's had Jimmy Butler, Joe Fulce, Jae Crowder and Jamil Wilson ahead of him the last two years, so playing time was at a minimum. A year off to develop at a good school could really help him. Moving to a school closer to Atlanta?

Goose85
04-27-2012, 03:58 PM
He's had Jimmy Butler, Joe Fulce, Jae Crowder and Jamil Wilson ahead of him the last two years, so playing time was at a minimum. A year off to develop at a good school could really help him. Moving to a school closer to Atlanta?

I agree Ted. I think a year off could really help Jamail.

Djgoldnboy
04-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Always liked him, seemed like a real positive guy. Best of luck to him. That being said, not exactly a "shocker".........will this be all.

Goose85
04-27-2012, 04:06 PM
What is the number of D1 transfers up to now?

IWB
04-27-2012, 04:47 PM
CBS Sports is at 375 plus

ydouask23
04-27-2012, 06:04 PM
good luck to him...just was at marquette at a bad time with a lot of talent to play behind. seemed lost on defense a ton when he was in there..and never knocked down that shot consistently..but we wish him well

Nukem2
04-28-2012, 09:00 AM
I always liked Jamail. Hard not to. Always had a smile on his face. Seemed like a class act. I hope he finds success whereever he ends up. Unfortunately, he never caught on to the defensive side here enough to make it.Yes, he really did seem to be a great teammate. Was always pulling for him. Best of luck to Jamail in his future endeavors.

ziggysfryboy
04-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Olumna nmaka award strikes again!

2012Warrior
04-28-2012, 11:38 AM
MU's own Madden Curse or I'm about to show some nerdiness...Defense Against Dark Arts position at Hogwarts :cool:

Based on some of the rumors going around, Pilarz and Larry Williams may be a good choice for the next recipients of that.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-30-2012, 07:00 AM
What is the number of D1 transfers up to now?

SilverWarrior had some great numbers on the Scout site...from the Big East, I think it was 47% of the recruits from 2008 transferred and 53% of the 2009 recruits. As much as some may want to say otherwise, this is a normal thing, and MU is far from an outlier.

Nukem2
04-30-2012, 12:24 PM
SilverWarrior had some great numbers on the Scout site...from the Big East, I think it was 47% of the recruits from 2008 transferred and 53% of the 2009 recruits. As much as some may want to say otherwise, this is a normal thing, and MU is far from an outlier.If you exclude Jucos, who are highly unlikely to transfer, MU's HS transfers under Buzz are above "normal". Of Cadougan, Mbao, Maymon, Roseboro, Williams, Blue, Gardner, Newbill, Smith and Jones..only 3 remain. Thats a 70% rate for Buzz's first two HS groups. Already have one signee gone for next year out of 3. Love Buzz, but sure wish he would have better success with HS signees.

kneelb4zerg
04-30-2012, 12:47 PM
If you exclude Jucos, who are highly unlikely to transfer, MU's HS transfers under Buzz are above "normal". Of Cadougan, Mbao, Maymon, Roseboro, Williams, Blue, Gardner, Newbill, Smith and Jones..only 3 remain. Thats a 70% rate for Buzz's first two HS groups. Already have one signee gone for next year out of 3. Love Buzz, but sure wish he would have better success with HS signees.

I don't think it's fair to separate the two like that. Buzz's astounding success with JUCOs made it more likely that other players would transfer for lack of playing time.

Nukem2
04-30-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't think it's fair to separate the two like that. Buzz's astounding success with JUCOs made it more likely that other players would transfer for lack of playing time.Practical matter is that Buzz will be recruiting HS kids going forward as even TJ Taylor is not a true Juco given his situation. The numbers of Jucos in the past was more a function of filling the roster. Going forward, recruitment of Jucos will be much harder due to the proposed NCAA academic rules re Jucos as well as the probable views of the new administration with regard to Jucos. Looking at HS guys only gives us a glimpse of Buzz's track record in that regard.

Nukem2
05-13-2012, 12:48 PM
IWB, or others, any inclinations as to where Jamail might end up at...?

ydouask23
05-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Im assuming Benford has open spots?

IWB
05-14-2012, 12:23 AM
He might go with Tony, but not 100% yet, may want to see what his options are - not ready to leave MU.

CaribouJim
05-14-2012, 09:34 AM
He might go with Tony, but not 100% yet, may want to see what his options are - not ready to leave MU.

Jim, I'm probably over analyzing this, but do I take that "not ready to leave MU" means that he has second thoughts about transferring or that he didn't necessarily want to transfer in the first place?

IWB
05-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Its always hard to leave someplace when you have given it everything you have every day for two years.

CaribouJim
05-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Its always hard to leave someplace when you have given it everything you have every day for two years.

Got it - thanks.

Drbchilds
05-15-2012, 01:08 PM
I am hearing Florida Gulf Coast is a possible landing spot........

Nukem2
05-15-2012, 01:10 PM
I am hearing Florida Gulf Coast is a possible landing spot........Wow, that would be a real step down. Jamail does have talent. Of course, he may like FL as he played at Montverde Prep.

PS, upon review, both FGC and Montverde are locatred in the Fort Myers area.

warriorfan4life
05-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Wow, that would be a real step down. Jamail does have talent. Of course, he may like FL as he played at Montverde Prep.

PS, upon review, both FGC and Montverde are locatred in the Fort Myers area.

Talent wise, that may a level or two too low, but at the same time I think Jamail would be better off on a team where he could be the man. Unlike EWill who was in this position last year, I think Jamail is not a great blend guy (which he is at this level or the high mid-major level like CUSA) and would be best served playing at a level where he could get 15 shots a game.

Drbchilds
05-25-2012, 09:33 AM
I got confirmation yesterday from a second source that FGCU is pushing hard for Jamail. I am not sure where Jamail stands with all of this, but he would definitely be "The Man" if he transferred down here.......

Drbchilds
06-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Just received word from the FGCU coach that Jamail is transferring to Florida Gulf Coast. He will probably be a 20 and 10 guy down here. They are obviously, very excited to land him

IWB
06-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Dang - you were all over that one a month ago Doc, good call!