PDA

View Full Version : Espn

Markedman
01-09-2015, 11:16 AM
http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/yes-espn-experimenting-studio-announcers-college-basketball-games.html

MayorBeluga
01-09-2015, 11:27 AM
ESPN keeps paying more and more to conferences for broadcast rights. They keep charging the carriers like Time-Warner and DirecTV more and more. The carriers keep raising prices. It's not sustainable without some cost cutting and this is, I suppose, one attempt to do so.

Mark Miller
01-09-2015, 12:24 PM
I noticed it last night with the BYU game, and I did not care for it at all. Did not get a good feel for the game as the crowd noise was minimal.

MU/Panther
01-13-2015, 06:17 PM
#18 Oklahoma at #16 West Virginia on ESPN News and Jeff Goodman is on the sideline but the tv crew is not at the game. Right now, I can't tell.

MU/Panther
01-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Ethical questions?
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/wvu/2015/01/15/ESPN-s-telecast-of-WVU-game-stirs-up-ethical-questions/stories/201501150219

TheSultan
01-15-2015, 11:25 AM
Oh I don't think it is an ethical concern as long as they don't try to trick you to believe they are there. As long as they capture the gameday experience in sight and sound, I don't see much of a problem with this. Everyone's workplace is doing things more remotely as technology gets better. Why should this be different?

MU/Panther
01-15-2015, 11:31 AM
Well, Eamon McAnaney does say back here “Back here in Morgantown".

TheSultan
01-15-2015, 11:33 AM
Well, Eamon McAnaney does say back here “Back here in Morgantown".

That could be interpreted as introducing the television audience back to the game, but I do see the point.

Goose85
01-15-2015, 11:52 AM
I wonder if the Big 12 cares that one of their games, between 2 ranked teams, is a game for which ESPN did not send announcers in person.

ESPN is paying huge money for college sports, so I find it interesting that this is how they are going to try and reduce costs.

I didn't see the game, so I'm not sure if it was noticeable, but I guess it seems unusual that the announcers are watching the game on tv just like we the fan.

IWB
01-15-2015, 12:23 PM
The real killer is that you count on announcers to tell you things that you are not seeing on tv. "Going into that timeout Wojo was really giving it to referee Tim Higgins". Yet if that wasn't on camera we didn't see it, nor did the announcers. Things like that - there is so much that they say (or should say) that we don't see on TV.

MUBasketball
01-15-2015, 12:46 PM
The real killer is that you count on announcers to tell you things that you are not seeing on tv. "Going into that timeout Wojo was really giving it to referee Tim Higgins". Yet if that wasn't on camera we didn't see it, nor did the announcers. Things like that - there is so much that they say (or should say) that we don't see on TV.

Or on the flipside, somene like Dick Stockton who says things that aren't even happening!

MayorBeluga
01-15-2015, 01:33 PM

Or having someone courtside text you with the observation that MU's male cheerleaders are wearing Frank Costanza's shoes. Now who would notice and be Irritated by that? :rolleyes:

MU/Panther
01-15-2015, 06:32 PM
I wonder if the Big 12 cares that one of their games, between 2 ranked teams, is a game for which ESPN did not send announcers in person.

Key part to this it was an ESPNEWS game. Plus, other than Kansas, nobody in the Big 12 turns the needle.