PDA

View Full Version : John Dawson to ...

Mark Miller
01-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Liberty University where he'll play for former MU assistant Dale Layer.

MUBasketball
01-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Interesting. Just assumed he would transfer closer to home but now he's further away. Wonder if Buzz helped arrange that?

Good luck to the young man!

IWB
01-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Wow - Liberty? Got to wonder if Buzz or Brad Autry was involved in that deal.

Mark Miller
01-07-2015, 02:48 PM
Buzz? Doubt it.

Brad? I would guess yes.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Good fit for him I'd imagine, he will excel there.

unclejohn
01-07-2015, 07:20 PM
The place completely weirds me out, and I cannot imagine why anybody but preacher's kids would want to play there. Then again, Dawson is apparently a preacher's kid. So perhaps it is a good fit for him. Places like Liberty do offer something that other schools do not. It doesn't appeal to me, but it does to some people. In fairness, there are a lot of people, particularly in Wisconsin, who say the same thing about Catholic universities.

TheSultan
01-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Buzz? Doubt it.

Brad? I would guess yes.

Nevada on Scoop, who is a family member of some sort, said "Buzz Williams was actually was a key player in making it happen..."

WRT Autry, "Brad Autry wanted him at Hawaii bad but hes not a head coach and they didnt have a scholarship available until after this season."

Nukem2
01-08-2015, 09:34 AM
Nevada on Scoop, who is a family member of some sort, said "Buzz Williams was actually was a key player in making it happen..."

WRT Autry, "Brad Autry wanted him at Hawaii bad but hes not a head coach and they didnt have a scholarship available until after this season."
An interesting corollary to this scenario is that Dawson did not land in Blacksburg with Buzz.....:confused: Rather telling?

milwaukeejedi1
01-08-2015, 11:05 AM
The poster know as Nevada on Scoop also said, "The fact their changing conferences, to Conference USA and flew to New Mexico on a moments notice to recruit him meant alot."

Markedman
01-08-2015, 12:00 PM
is Liberty really joining CUSA? I hadn't heard that....seems like a bizarre move for the conference.

milwaukeejedi1
01-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Conference Realignment: The UAB Trickle Down Effect

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2014/12/2/7322231/conference-realignment-uab-blazers-football-cusa-sun-belt-ovc-caa (http://www.midmajormadness.com/2014/12/2/7322231/conference-realignment-uab-blazers-football-cusa-sun-belt-ovc-caa)

TheSultan
01-08-2015, 12:19 PM
is Liberty really joining CUSA? I hadn't heard that....seems like a bizarre move for the conference.

That isn't set in stone by any stretch. There is some talk they want a team out east, but James Madison is as likely as Liberty - and both would need to jump from FCS.

Texas State is where I think they will go. Huge university in the Austin / San Marcos area. Already playing FBS ball.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-08-2015, 12:41 PM
I'm sure the CUSA rumors were a recruiting tool, as Layer hasn't had a winning conference record since his second year at Liberty in 2010-11. More of a team chasing the elusive D1 football carrot. It will definitely be an easier road to hoe for Dawson, as Liberty hasn't been very good for a few years now.

TulsaWarrior
01-08-2015, 09:17 PM
I covered Liberty a long time ago. Got in trouble for calling a recruit a born again rebounder. Liberty has a heck of a lot of resources. Just wondering how much time Layer will be given?

Mark Miller
01-08-2015, 10:56 PM
I covered Liberty a long time ago. Got in trouble for calling a recruit a born again rebounder. Liberty has a heck of a lot of resources. Just wondering how much time Layer will be given?

"Born Again Rebounder."

That's Gold, Tulsa. Gold.

MU Viking
01-09-2015, 08:38 AM
Not Marquette Gold, Tulsa, just "gold." :eek:

MU/Panther
01-09-2015, 08:54 AM
That isn't set in stone by any stretch. There is some talk they want a team out east, but James Madison is as likely as Liberty - and both would need to jump from FCS.

Texas State is where I think they will go. Huge university in the Austin / San Marcos area. Already playing FBS ball.I've heard that Liberty is ifey at best about jumping to the FBS level.

IWB
01-09-2015, 09:34 AM
C-USA has been trying to get Illinois State for a couple of years, but Illinois State has other plans/hopes.

By the way - Illinois State is playing in the FCS Championship on Saturday in Frisco Texas - will start a new thread as to not dirty the John Dawson talk....