PDA

View Full Version : Duane Wilson Big East Rookie of the Week, Chris Otule, I mean JayVaughn Pinkston PoW

IWB
12-22-2014, 11:36 AM
Duane Wilson Big East Rookie of the Week, Chris Otule, I mean JayVaughn Pinkston is Player of the Week

From: John Paquette | Associate Commissioner, Sports Media Relations

NEW YORK -- Villanova's JayVaughn Pinkston has been named BIG EAST Player of the Week and Marquette's Duane Wilson has been selected BIG EAST Rookie of the Week. Pinkston helped lead the Wildcats over Syracuse 82-77 in overtime and Wilson averaged 13.5 points, 4.0 steals and 3.5 rebounds in a 2-0 week for the Golden Eagles.

BIG EAST PLAYER OF THE WEEK

JayVaughn Pinkston, Villanova, F, Sr.
Pinkston was instrumental in an 82-77 overtime win against Syracuse. He posted game highs of 25 points and 10 rebounds and made three steals. Pinkston led the Wildcats’ second half rally and tied the game with a basket with 4.2 seconds remaining in regulation time.

BIG EAST ROOKIE OF THE WEEK

Duane Wilson, Marquette, G, Fr.
Wilson wins rookie honors for the second time this season after averaging 13.5 points, 4.0 steals and 3.5 rebounds in a 2-0 week. He scored 19 points in a 78-71 victory against Arizona State. Wilson is averaging 12.7 points per game for the season.

BIG EAST Honor Roll

Toby Hegner, Creighton, F, Fr.
Averaged 14.5 points and 5.0 rebounds in a 1-1 week while shooting 50 percent form the field.

L.J. Peak, Georgetown, F, Fr.
Scored 18 points and hit two free throws with 7.5 seconds left to seal an 81-78 victory over Charlotte.

Luke Fischer, Marquette, C, So.
Averaged 20.5 points, 7.5 rebounds and 3.0 blocks in wins against Arizona State and Alabama A&M.

Kris Dunn, Providence, G,
Posted 16 points, 10 assists, five rebounds and five steals in an 85-65 win over Massachusetts.

D’Angelo Harrison, St. John’s, G, Sr.
Scored a team-high 21 points to help the Red Storm rally to beat Saint Mary’s 53-47.

When you look at the whole list....

Pinkston had MU as a finalist.
Wilson is at Marquette.
Hegner is from Wisconsin.
Fischer is at Marquette.
Peak was recruited by Marquette.
Harrison had Marquette as a finalist.

Crazy.

Nukem2
12-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Fischer is a BE rookie. could have won that award.... :confused:

DCwarrior
12-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Wasn't MU also a finalist for Dunn? I thought he was actually an MU lean, but Buzz went all in on the kid who ended up choosing Arizona and we ended up losing out on Dunn as a result.

IWB
12-22-2014, 03:15 PM
I thought MU may have been a finalist for Dunn, but I thought either he committed early or MU went elsewhere. Couldn't remember. The kid that went to Arizona was Gabe York. MU recruited him, but I don't know that I would say all in.

dw3dw3dw3
12-22-2014, 03:46 PM
I thought the Dunn story was he wanted to come here, but Buzz wasn't ready because he was chasing York. Dunn blew up after that and that was it.

Djgoldnboy
12-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Yeah we were definitely involved with him, I though the same thing when I read his name, think the York chasing story was the way it went down.

jpvegas52
12-22-2014, 04:34 PM
If I remember correctly, York visited during a time when the players weren't here and then followed that up with a visit to Arizona and got to bond with the players there. He committed to AZ shortly there after. What i remember about Dunn is that Dunn was very interested in MU, but Buzz held him off waiting for York and so Dunn looked elsewhere, when York committed to Arizona we were left out.

AlexJesswein
12-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Entering the weekend, Providence and Rhode Island and all the A-10 except for Xavier had offered Dunn. Virginia, UConn and Pittsburgh want to see more out of him. I asked Dunn where he'd like to go to school and he said Marquette. The Golden Eagles could be his golden ticket to the Big East. Surely Buzz Williams will like this guy and if Dunn is true to his word, Marquette has a good chance of being a major player in his recruitment.

ziggysfryboy
12-28-2014, 09:49 PM
didn't Crean recruit Pinkston while TC was still at MU?

IWB
12-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Pinkston was at Buzz' Elite Camp as a junior.