PDA

View Full Version : Derrick

Nukem2
12-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Derrick is 0-9 from the field in the past 2 games. Guess those 25,000 shot this summer did not help much.

kneelb4zerg
12-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Derrick is 0-9 from the field in the past 2 games. Guess those 25,000 shot this summer did not help much.

Congratulations. This is the 25,000th joke about that.

AlexJesswein
12-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Congratulations. This is the 25,000th joke about that.

You related to Derrick?

MUwarrior1090
12-17-2014, 01:39 PM
You related to Derrick?

He probably just gets tired of the constant degrading of one of our players and a great representative of MU.

21rooster
12-17-2014, 01:56 PM
He also had two steals, four assists, and a rebound. More importantly, he hit 3 of 4 free throws near the end of the game, when MU was really struggling to score. If Derrick was sulking on the sideline, I could see a post like this. Instead, Derrick kept his head in the game despite sitting most of the first half. While yesterday wasn't his greatest game, he came off the bench in the second half to provide some desperately-needed rest for the guys getting the bulk of the minutes.

AlexJesswein
12-17-2014, 02:05 PM
He probably just gets tired of the constant degrading of one of our players and a great representative of MU.

No one has ever doubted/questioned that Derrick is a class act, team player and great representative of the University. That however, has nothing to do with his on the court play.

TheSultan
12-17-2014, 02:06 PM
Nukem isn't one of the anti-Derrick zealots. He was just talking about his shooting - not his overall contributions.

I for one am glad that his minutes were reduced.

kneelb4zerg
12-17-2014, 02:22 PM
He busted his ass all summer to improve; now fans see fit to throw it back in his face by mocking how many shots he took. It's unnecessary.

Nukem2
12-17-2014, 02:30 PM
He busted his ass all summer to improve; now fans see fit to throw it back in his face by mocking how many shots he took. It's unnecessary.
Was simply noting the lack of improvement in his shooting as 0-9 over two games is rather noteworthy. . Unfortunate after all that hard work this past summer. Surely, his other contributions are appreciated. Shooting is just not one of them and Wojo has taken notice as his PT is decreasing and he is being subbed defense/offense in crunch time due to his poor FT shooting ( though he did nicely last night in that regard....:) ).

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-17-2014, 02:32 PM

Agreed. Thought the original post was a bit of a low blow.

Nukem2
12-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Agreed. Thought the original post was a bit of a low blow.Once again, just pointing out the facts in view of all the talk by himself and the coaches about his summer work. Was not trying to be sarcastic, though some of you seem to be taking it that way. Unfortunately, his shot does not look any better nor are the results any better. ASU was playing off of him last night challenging him to shoot. UW did the opposite and overplayed him and challenging him to take the ball to the hoop. Both teams were betting he would be unsuccessful. Both were correct. Having said that, I sincerely hope Derrick gets hot and shoots 50% for the rest of the year and proves MU opponents wrong.

AbovetheRim
12-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Once again, just pointing out the facts in view of all the talk by himself and the coaches about his summer work. Was not trying to be sarcastic, though some of you seem to be taking it that way. Unfortunately, his shot does not look any better nor are the results any better. ASU was playing off of him last night challenging him to shoot. UW did the opposite and overplayed him and challenging him to take the ball to the hoop. Both teams were betting he would be unsuccessful. Both were correct. Having said that, I sincerely hope Derrick gets hot and shoots 50% for the rest of the year and proves MU opponents wrong.

I'll have what you're having.

Nukem2
12-17-2014, 04:11 PM
[/B]

I'll have what you're having.
Well, it's not 5:00 here yet, but I do hear that it's 5:00 somewhere... ;). Seriously, I hope he can finish out his senior season ona positive note from a shooting perspective

MUMac
12-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Well, it's not 5:00 here yet, but I do hear that it's 5:00 somewhere... ;). Seriously, I hope he can finish out his senior season ona positive note from a shooting perspective

I don't have any issues with how Derrick played yesterday or was used in the game. Including his stats against UW is a bit misleading, as all the guards had troubles that day. UW's height was difficult without a Fischer inside to occupy, leading to the poor shooting day.

I did not like the 3 that Derrick took yesterday, as a shot selection, but understood why he took it and he should have taken it. I wish he would have either passed it when he missed on the 2 on 1 break, or initiate contact to draw a foul. But then again, Duane missed a similar one earlier on.

I did not like the use of Derrick last year, as with both he and Jake on the floor, the ball stopped. They were easy to defend. I like the way he is playing this year and with more weapons, I can do away with the constant ankle biting about his play as well.

There is a reason why both Wojo and Buzz gave him minutes.

Time to focus on something else, IMHO.

The Reptile
12-17-2014, 05:54 PM

Since you're big on stats why don't you do more research. How many of his shots were at the end of the half/game? How many were late in the shot clock? How many were deflected by a defender? How many were close but rimmed out? Can you say categorically that all of his shots were open looks where he just plain missed?

Nukem2
12-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Since you're big on stats why don't you do more research. How many of his shots were at the end of the half/game? How many were late in the shot clock? How many were deflected by a defender? How many were close but rimmed out? Can you say categorically that all of his shots were open looks where he just plain missed?

Again, it's not just stats. 0-9 is, well, 0-9. And his history is not good. Just pointing out that all that work has not helped. Again, I hope he really goes off for the rest of the season. Great young guy, just can't shoot (so far ).

MUAlphaBangura
12-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Again, it's not just stats. 0-9 is, well, 0-9. And his history is not good. Just pointing out that all that work has not helped. Again, I hope he really goes off for the rest of the season. Great young guy, just can't shoot (so far ).

All his work didn't help for the last two games(except that he went 3 for 4 from the free throw line), but it sure seemed to help when he went 4 for 4 from the field against Tenn. in Orlando. Given all the positives that came out of the game last night, it absolutely blows me away that this was in anybody's mind to bring up the day after.

Halo
12-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Pretty stupid topic. You are better then this Nuke. Kid has busted his butt on and off the court for 4 years here at MU. You going to start posting every players negative stats on turnovers, points allowed, fouls, etc? Hope not. There are 8 guys on this team. They all are going to have to play.

Nukem2
12-18-2014, 08:16 AM
Pretty stupid topic. You are better then this Nuke. Kid has busted his butt on and off the court for 4 years here at MU. You going to start posting every players negative stats on turnovers, points allowed, fouls, etc? Hope not. There are 8 guys on this team. They all are going to have to play.
Of course he is a great kid and we have all said that many times. But this is a basketball board to discuss BB. This is on topic. No different than all the analysis of Dominic James poor shooting a few years ago on the various MU boards. Same topic. We all lamented Lazar's dumb fouls for three years before he got religion as a senior. If there was an Internet back in 1977, the message boards would have had a field day with Bill Neary. Etc., etc. Yes it may get repetitive, but MU is affected game after game by Derrick's poor shooting. That's repetitive too. How is it any different than discussing Burton's poor defense game after game for 1 1/2 seasons? We are talking basketball here.

In retrospect, I just made a quick note in starting this thread. Sorry I started it, but it is reality. Obviously, Wojo is using Derrick differently as games go by and more alternatives open up as Carlino, Duane, JJJ and Sandy get more acclimated in this rebuilding season. That's something that was not really possible last season. Lets Go Warriors.